Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tubes

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by Tubes »

What is wrong with me? Thank God I found this thread.

I've paid too many full prices for the last few years.

My story: about 8 years ago, I wanted to renew, and the CSR based out of a foreign country was very, very, very much the hard core sales person and they would not budge. I hung up and tried again. I got a different CSR and said, you know what, I called before and you people are just angry, mean people, so cancel me. Really. I'm done. I quit. This time the CSR said, "Well, would you consider a lifetime for $300?" I reluctantly said yes. (Turns out to be the best decision I've ever made since a subsequent class action lawsuit made it really good.)

Since then, we have other cars and radios and I frankly "ate the cost" because I didn't want to aggravate the wife. Those are different subscriptions from my lifetime subscription which I will never let go of.

We love music. We spend very little. This is our "guilty pleasure." We also subscribe to other services.

Anyway, I ate the full cost. Then I saw this thread right before my renewal notice came over email.

Here's my result. I was about to renew for 2 years on a basic plan (XM Music and Entertainment) for $349.34. That's $174.67 per year. As a consequence of this thread, I did the following:

- Pressed "I want to cancel"
- Pressed "I want to see offers or chat"
- Took the 1 yr at $60 offered, which really ended up at $73.88 with taxes and their "royalty fee" (a subject for another day)

So, $174.67 vs $73.88. Uh, yeah, I'll take the $100. Thank you Bogleheads!

Next year the offer may be different at which time I'll chat. I've already set up a reminder on my calendar to check on things since I checked a box that says: "You are paying 1 yr. At the end, you'll get a <big> charge per month." I'm not sure they'll remind me like they have when I've been paying full price.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

SiriusXM, a while back, move a channel that I liked to another channel. The radio in my truck can't get that new channel. I wrote to the SiriusXM CEO about this change. No response. After a while, when I decided they weren't going to fix the issue, I canceled my subscription. Now, I don't have to deal with trying to get the best deal on SiriusXM. They send me deals in the mail that just go in the trash.
Best Wishes, | Joe
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Tubes wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:53 am Next year the offer may be different at which time I'll chat. I've already set up a reminder on my calendar to check on things since I checked a box that says: "You are paying 1 yr. At the end, you'll get a <big> charge per month." I'm not sure they'll remind me like they have when I've been paying full price.
Unlikely that the base $60/year rate will change, it's been that price for a while now. The royalty fees may (will) go up. You should get a bill when the year is up.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

JMacDonald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:55 pm SiriusXM, a while back, move a channel that I liked to another channel. The radio in my truck can't get that new channel. I wrote to the SiriusXM CEO about this change. No response. After a while, when I decided they weren't going to fix the issue, I canceled my subscription. Now, I don't have to deal with trying to get the best deal on SiriusXM. They send me deals in the mail that just go in the trash.
And why do we care? Seems like you handled it the wrong way, and sending a reactivation signal to the radio or talking to CS would have been the way to handle it rather than writing to the CEO, unless it was moved to an online-only channel. But at least you're saving money.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

MisterBill wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:22 am
Tubes wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:53 am Next year the offer may be different at which time I'll chat. I've already set up a reminder on my calendar to check on things since I checked a box that says: "You are paying 1 yr. At the end, you'll get a <big> charge per month." I'm not sure they'll remind me like they have when I've been paying full price.
Unlikely that the base $60/year rate will change, it's been that price for a while now. The royalty fees may (will) go up. You should get a bill when the year is up.
I once got that RIAA fee waived when I pointed out we listened to talk, traffic, and sports. Not sure they would still do that, as Sirius is desperate for revenue.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

JMacDonald wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:55 pm SiriusXM, a while back, move a channel that I liked to another channel. The radio in my truck can't get that new channel. I wrote to the SiriusXM CEO about this change. No response. After a while, when I decided they weren't going to fix the issue, I canceled my subscription. Now, I don't have to deal with trying to get the best deal on SiriusXM. They send me deals in the mail that just go in the trash.
In your experience, have you found that CEOs typically respond to basic customer requests?
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

Well, the best I could do this time around was $5.99 a month, which comes out to an all-in total of $91 or so for the year, and no Echo dot.
mwesty

Post by mwesty »

gac1979 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:20 am
cowdogman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:56 pm Just got my renewal notice for XMSelect at $16.99 + $3.64 (royalty)/month x 2 (two cars). I went on to cancel and get offered a lower rate but the offered rate was still $12.99 plus royalties for Mostly Music. I haven't done a chat or call yet.
Do the chat. Our renewal notice for Select was the same as yours. Just like you, I got a slightly lower rate by going on to cancel. Then I tried chatting and got the $5 monthly rate for select (about $6.50 with royalties and taxes).

Came in to post the same. The chat was simple and started instantly vs waiting on hold when calling
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Well I just renewed for 93 for a year all in. I tried negotiating for something better but that was the offer. Still, I paid a “very un-BH” 265 last year so I’m considering this a big win.

I’ve learned a lot and saved plenty from this forum !!!
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I think I have been paying around $10 both for my car and online. It used to be that the 6 month deal was better than the 12 which made no sense (avg. per month) but now it seems even.

Years ago they kept calling me- before I decided to keep it. I told them "Listen, I don't have the car anymore- funny thing is I lost it in a poker game and someone just came to take the keys". That actually worked for a while.

I got a new car recently and when transferring the EIN number to my surprise they honored the 3 month promo and extended my current sub.

The good news is the Billy Joel channel is back this month.
kgressler

Post by kgressler »

Ive played the game each year and each year I get the 5.99 deal. This past year I've started listen to more podcast and may listen to XM a total of 1-3 hours a week while commuting or at home.
This year I called with the actual intent of canceling unless I got it for half $30 or so a year) Of coarse they were willing so I followed through and canceled. I've since been bombarded with calls from them for the last 2 months. All showing a local phone number when called.
So far I havent really missed it at all. And actually started to use Pandora and Spotify. I've had Pandora for years but just stated using Spotify since Rogan moved his pod there. Saving 60 buck a year isnt much but for something I barely use I gotta say I had no idea I didnt need it.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Called yesterday, and my $4.99/month deal ($6.06 after taxes and fees) is now $5.99/month ($7.27). Good enough for now, since we’re planning a long motorhome trip this year, and that’s where we use it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Same deal here. Got 1 year at $5.99 per month, plus tax for total of $6.48. Always put multiple reminders on my calendar in the weeks preceding the one-year anniversary so I remember to cancel before they charge me full price.
nclion

Post by nclion »

I played the cancel game and 5 month rate for years. Currently I pay 23.** Per month for two cars and the app. At a little over 10 per car it's reasonable for me.

DirectTV and NFL Ticket are another story. I need to call them and threaten to cancel!
Que1999

Post by Que1999 »

I got the $5.99 monthly price for good a couple weeks ago when I chatted them up online to cancel. They basically offered me this promo price without having to call to reinstate it every 6 months, which I have done consistently probably for the last 5 years or so. Needless to say, I jumped on it as I was reassured the price would never increase from the $5.99 price as long as I didn't call to cancel...

I'll take it! :beer
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

Que1999 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:22 pm I got the $5.99 monthly price for good a couple weeks ago when I chatted them up online to cancel. They basically offered me this promo price without having to call to reinstate it every 6 months, which I have done consistently probably for the last 5 years or so. Needless to say, I jumped on it as I was reassured the price would never increase from the $5.99 price as long as I didn't call to cancel...

I'll take it! :beer
Thanks for this! Went from $21.84 w/taxes to like $8.50. Just took a couple minutes via online chat and good for 12mos. One of the easiest $160 savings I've ever gotten :happy
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

I heard about a new SiriusXM offer from a Reddit user. $5 per month for 12 months plus fees/taxes billed upfront plus a free Echo dot (4th gen). Includes free upgrade to Platinum. Offer expires 3/31/2022.

I was paying $8.99+ per month for Platinum. Used Chat to cancel then went right back and got the special offer online. Total cost was $60 + $12.84 = $72.84. Will revert to $17.99+ per month on 3/17/2023.

Received email shortly after signing up for the free Echo Dot with promotion code through Amazon.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I typically get 3 months free offers very shortly after the previous off expired. Sometimes I have to pay a dollar or two for 3 months. Don’t be on autopay or you never get the best offers. No way would I pay $60-70 a year….
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

I was a subscriber from 2008 until 2020. Would always renew on a promotional deal. Got tired of it and canceled. Now I put my money towards Apple Music subscription instead. Never going back to SiriusXM again
hudson

Post by hudson »

Groundhog wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:14 pm I heard about a new SiriusXM offer from a Reddit user. $5 per month for 12 months plus fees/taxes billed upfront plus a free Echo dot (4th gen). Includes free upgrade to Platinum. Offer expires 3/31/2022.

I was paying $8.99+ per month for Platinum. Used Chat to cancel then went right back and got the special offer online. Total cost was $60 + $12.84 = $72.84. Will revert to $17.99+ per month on 3/17/2023.

Received email shortly after signing up for the free Echo Dot with promotion code through Amazon.
Thanks Groundhog! Useful info.
So $72.84 out the door.
I paid $77.84 for a year on July 31st....no echo dot.

When my expires, I'll shoot for your price.

In July, there wasn't a special offer; I had to negotiate over the chat.
I chatted, "I humbly request 3 vehicles for $80 each.....out the door price." The chat person came back with the $77.84. I said OK.

When negotiating for anything, I only want to talk the "out the door" price. I like the bottom line.

Bottom Line: $72.84
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

I would use the 6 month trial when I got a new vehicle then let it expire. Mainly just listened to Dave Ramsey on there, lol. Not much point in paying for it when you can stream pretty much any music or podcasts thru bluetooth on your phone. Only downside is it uses 4g data.

Plus I strongly disliked the sheer quantity of spam that they mailed me. Sometimes I was getting multiple letters a week from SiriusXM, some of them marked "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT!" when they were really just come-on ads for a "low monthly price". I'd rather not support that business model, if I don't have to.
65% FZROX, 7% VOE, 6% VIOV, 22% FZILX
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Jungle wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:53 am I would use the 6 month trial when I got a new vehicle then let it expire. Mainly just listened to Dave Ramsey on there, lol. Not much point in paying for it when you can stream pretty much any music or podcasts thru bluetooth on your phone. Only downside is it uses 4g data.

Plus I strongly disliked the sheer quantity of spam that they mailed me. Sometimes I was getting multiple letters a week from SiriusXM, some of them marked "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT!" when they were really just come-on ads for a "low monthly price". I'd rather not support that business model, if I don't have to.
I believe the standard XM trial is 3 months. In my case, XM has apparently forgotten since I'm into my 11th month, they have never contacted me, and my 3-mo trial continues.

In my case, the $5+tax for XM is likely way cheaper than what the 4g data would cost.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

peetsperk wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:55 pm Same deal here. Got 1 year at $5.99 per month, plus tax for total of $6.48. Always put multiple reminders on my calendar in the weeks preceding the one-year anniversary so I remember to cancel before they charge me full price.
It looks like their “Music Showcase” plan, which has all that I want, is $4.99 per month plus tax. “Regular price” is $17.99 per month.

I just renewed for another year.

If I recall correctly, last year I had to pay in advance for the full year to get the “promotional rate”. This year I’m paying month by month.

Will likely go through the same ridiculous song and dance again in 2023. At least I did this through chat rather than talking to a call center person.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I went tooth and nail with them on an extended package renewal for $5/mo but they would not do it with all the options I wanted. So I quit. Six weeks later signed up for new contract for $5.99/mo.
FlamePoint

Post by FlamePoint »

I just went through this song and dance with them for the second year in a row (thanks Bogelheads for opening my eyes to this negotiation tactic). I was able to get the $4.99 price ($6.07 with royalty fee included) per month. This is for Music Showcase package. I always use the chat feature for these negotiations.

Have a reminder set for next year to go through this dance again with them.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I just renewed the Music and Entertainment package for $5.99 (total $7.27 per month) including an Echo Dot 4th generation. I had $5 a month for the same package, but I wasn’t able to get that this time. Monthly payments as opposed to a one time yearly payment. I kind of screwed myself as my subscription went until May 20th or so, but I did get the Echo Dot.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

They currently have a promotion
$5 per month for a year, free upgrade to the platinum package, free Amazon echo.

At this point, I have 3 spare echos in my closet
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

After several years of playing the game, I gave up Sirius last month. Occasionally miss it but not enough to bother. We have a great local community radio station that I listen to most of the time.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Go Blue 99 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:51 am
In your experience, have you found that CEOs typically respond to basic customer requests?
Yeah, writing to the CEO for a basic channel change issue seems like 100% the wrong move. You probably could have fixed that issue pretty easily by calling customer service. And I'm not even sure how a car could not get a particular Sirius channel. Something doesn't seem right.

I have not paid full price for Sirius in 15 years. Just put a reminder in my phone every year, chat with them and tell them I plan to cancel, and wait for the best deal. It's a pretty simple process.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

They gave me the $5.99 rate for 2 vehicles this year and I barely even had to say the word cancel. I suppose I could have asked for a better deal, but $5.99 was their first offer and I had better things to do.
hudson

Post by hudson »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:40 pm I just renewed the Music and Entertainment package for $5.99 (total $7.27 per month) including an Echo Dot 4th generation. I had $5 a month for the same package, but I wasn’t able to get that this time. Monthly payments as opposed to a one time yearly payment. I kind of screwed myself as my subscription went until May 20th or so, but I did get the Echo Dot.
7.27 X 12 is 87.24 out the door
On Mar. 12 Groundhog got this deal: Total cost was $60 + $12.84 = $72.84
In July, I got a year from a chat person for 77.84 out the door (OTD).

Upon expiration, my negotiation plan by chat:
I'll look at this discussion and see what the lowest OTD price is.
Then I'll chat as follows:
"I humbly request an OTD price of $75 for a year." (They know what "out the door" means.)
No argument, no nothing. If I don't get that, I'll just repeat the above maybe in an even more humble manner, but the price $75. If I don't get it I will humbly thank them and sign off. Then I'll figure out my plan B.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Just did a renewal (now, they are making you call and do it over the phone - as opposed to last year when I was able to do all of it online). My rate for the last 12 months for the 'Music & Entertainment' package has been $4.99/month. I told them I would cancel unless I could get the same rate. They first offered the Platinum service at $12.99. I declined. They next offer me the 'Music & Entertainment' service at $5.99. I declined. Finally, they offered it to me at the previous $4.99 rate (for 1 year) and I accepted.

Counting time on hold I spent about 20 minutes on this. Pain in the butt to call and do this every year? You bet. Worth it if you plan on keeping SiriusXM? You bet.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

$5/mo (for 12 months) + Free Amazon Echo Dot or BUST

If you are paying anymore than that you're being taken for a ride. The key is to cancel, then hold your ground when the $5/mo expires. They will come back to you with the same offer just a couple months later. The catch is you need to be OK going without the service for a couple months until they come back with the deal.

I have done this 4 times over the past 4-5 years without fail. They are currently bombarding me with emails with this offer but I'm not driving much these days so I think I will let it pass this time around. But if/when I am ready to open an account again I will insist on this deal.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

TnGuy wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:20 pm Just did a renewal (now, they are making you call and do it over the phone - as opposed to last year when I was able to do all of it online). My rate for the last 12 months for the 'Music & Entertainment' package has been $4.99/month. I told them I would cancel unless I could get the same rate. They first offered the Platinum service at $12.99. I declined. They next offer me the 'Music & Entertainment' service at $5.99. I declined. Finally, they offered it to me at the previous $4.99 rate (for 1 year) and I accepted.

Counting time on hold I spent about 20 minutes on this. Pain in the butt to call and do this every year? You bet. Worth it if you plan on keeping SiriusXM? You bet.

David
Not my experience that you need to use the phone.

I renewed SXM last week - entirely through chat. Got the $4.99 rate also.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

andypanda wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:04 am They gave me the $5.99 rate for 2 vehicles this year and I barely even had to say the word cancel. I suppose I could have asked for a better deal, but $5.99 was their first offer and I had better things to do.
$5.99 for 2 vehicles (as in both) is a good rate. $5.99 for each vehicle is the usual rate. Which was it?
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

each of course
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

The Music and Entertainment plan at $5.99 per month offers, I believe, more channels than the Music Showcase plan at $4.99 per month. I was able to renew by chat.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

I just got one car for three months for free on line application (no talking to salesman) with no charge card provided after having canceled my subscription a couple months ago. I am going to see if i can get car number two the same deal.