Account locked at Treasury Direct and cannot get through on phone

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
student

Re: Account locked at Treasury Direct and cannot get through on phone

Post by student »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:06 pm
Makefile wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:49 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:41 pm Wouldn't the money go to the "unclaimed money" fund at the state shown on the address that was entered when they purchased, unless it was updated somehow.
Not sure how it would apply to other Treasury securities, but at least for Savings Bonds, the Treasury is exempt from such unclaimed property laws, and this is actually a matter of controversy right now as to whether that would be a better way to address the backlog of unredeemed, matured paper savings bonds.
exempt !?

:shock:

I didn't expect *that* answer!

RM
You probably know about Treasury Direct treatment of loss due to fraud. If not, you may be interested in viewtopic.php?t=87934 That's one of the reasons why I have not setup an account until recently.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

student wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:13 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:41 pm Wouldn't the money go to the "unclaimed money" fund at the state shown on the address that was entered when they purchased, unless it was updated somehow.
Not sure how it would apply to other Treasury securities, but at least for Savings Bonds, the Treasury is exempt from such unclaimed property laws, and this is actually a matter of controversy right now as to whether that would be a better way to address the backlog of unredeemed, matured paper savings bonds.
exempt !?

RM
You probably know about Treasury Direct treatment of loss due to fraud. If not, you may be interested in viewtopic.php?t=87934 That's one of the reasons why I have not setup an account until recently.

Uh, noooo. Had no idea.
This (I Bonds) is all new to us just recently.
Perhaps I'm no longer annoyed that I got locked out trying to get each of us a gift bond for the other, for delivery next year.

Anyway, we decided that given the small limit of 10k pp/per year, we weren't likely to have an impact on much at all, at this late stage in our lives. If we were just starting out and could each accumulate a pile of them, perhaps we'd rethink that.

So I guess we'll each have a single souvenir I Bond heading off into the future. :happy

Thanks for the info.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
student

Post by student »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:24 pm
exempt !?

RM

Uh, noooo. Had no idea.
Perhaps I'm no longer annoyed that I got locked out trying to get each of us a gift bond for the other, for delivery next year.

Anyway, we decided that given the small limit of 10k pp/per year, we weren't likely to have an impact on much at all, at this late stage in our lives. If we were just starting out and could each accumulate a pile of them, perhaps we'd rethink that.

So I guess we'll each have a single souvenir I Bond heading off into the future. :happy

Thanks for the info.

RM
I guess that's why they have super duper annoying security that even owners cannot log on without jumping through hoops.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Well, this was a first for me, helping DW get a medallion sig guarantee today. She's taking some stock with Computershare and cashing it for her deceased aunt as executor. Computershare requires this, so we went to DCU today. I had all the documents needed. What they did was make copies (death certificate, EIN form, Appointment as executor) along with the Computershare form and sent it to the DCU headquarters to first get approved to give the signature guarantee. Quoted 3 business days. So we'll see. We're in no huge hurry. Very easy so far. I won't say that the Computershare form is easy.

Anyways, if you are in DCU's territory, become a member and this is one of the many free things they offer.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

student wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:32 pm

exempt !?

RM

Uh, noooo. Had no idea.

Thanks for the info.

RM
I guess that's why they have super duper annoying security that even owners cannot log on without jumping through hoops.
Yeah, great process: If NO one can get their money out, then NO money goes to the wrong people.
Fantastic solution!

:annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

student wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:30 pm
Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:14 pm
student wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:01 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:41 pm This kind of situation could complicate settling an estate, or re-open the can of worms again later, once such a TD account is noticed.

RM
My current set up is with a beneficiary and I give my beneficiary viewing privilege. I am assuming this will make things easier when I am dead.
Maybe you should give them transaction privileges as well, but that requires setting up a TD account for them I believe.
My understanding is that a beneficiary cannot be given transaction privileges as opposed to a second owner. I think even a beneficiary needs to be explicitly given a viewing right, so he/she needs to have a TD account. One has to give the right for each bond.
Oh yes, I think you are correct.
“Getting finances right is essential to 100-year life but money is far from being the most important resource. Family, friendships mental health and happiness are all crucial components” | – Lynda Gratton
rich126

Post by rich126 »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:35 pm
tibbitts wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:00 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 pm In the process of trying to log in to my Treasury Direct account, I accidentally locked it. They say that locked accounts can only be unlocked over the phone, but every time I try calling, the wait time is 90 minutes or more, usually 2+ hours. I once waited for over an hour, and the wait time only increased.

Any advice on how to deal with this?
I called in the middle of the afternoon two days ago, Monday, probably not the best time. I was told 90min to start, From there the times only stayed the same or went down. The 90min was pretty accurate. The rep didn't seem too stressed by the time I got through; the rep was helpful and knowledgeable.
Before I get up at 5 a.m. to try to get them as soon as they open, I'll probably call them again early one day next week, maybe Tuesday.
Some of us are up before 5am every day. It isn't terrible.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:49 pm
student wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:32 pm

exempt !?

RM

Uh, noooo. Had no idea.

Thanks for the info.

RM
Yeah, great process: If NO one can get their money out, then NO money goes to the wrong people.
Fantastic solution!

:annoyed

RM
Better safe than sorry? :sharebeer
Fremdon Ferndock

I thought of an answer to all the hassles keeping your bonds at Treasury Direct :idea: -- Paper Bonds that you can keep in your lockbox and redeem at your local bank! What do you think?
“Getting finances right is essential to 100-year life but money is far from being the most important resource. Family, friendships mental health and happiness are all crucial components” | – Lynda Gratton
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:55 pm
czaj wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:49 pm Thursday SHOULD be the worst day to call because it’s the last day to request a purchase for the month. Calling Friday would be too late for an April purchase. Though I’m sure some people will surely be surprised and disappointed.
Who buys I-Bonds over the phone? I didn't even know you could do that. That's what the gnarly website is for.
That sums up the problem: How do you use the "gnarly website" if you need to call to regain access to same website after it was locked because you took too long to answer a question or mistyped a security answer to a question you set 15 years ago? The problem is there is no useful self-help on the website to resolve login issues AND the mandatory phone line has hours and hours and hours of hold wait time, with no call back option. Plus it sounds like it is "ringing" from time to time, making you focus think it is finally your turn, only to resume the queue.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:22 am I thought of an answer to all the hassles keeping your bonds at Treasury Direct :idea: -- Paper Bonds that you can keep in your lockbox and redeem at your local bank! What do you think?
Paper Savings Bonds, either previously purchased or gotten via the tax refund method, can be replaced if lost, stolen or even fraudulently redeemed. That's why I recommend that folks who have them, or get them via the tax refund method, consider keeping them rather than converting them to electronic holdings at TD.

Also, paper Savings Bonds are more likely to be found by your heirs which may not be the case when it comes to knowing about your TD account.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:35 pm Also, paper Savings Bonds are more likely to be found by your heirs which may not be the case when it comes to knowing about your TD account.
Maybe right now, but our online worlds are expanding so fast, we're going to all have to find a way to tell our heirs about everything online.

Mom slipped some of my savings bonds given as gifts to me at my birth into my "early art" mementos. I put those on the shelf for decades. But, hey, she was right. There's no way I'd just throw those away without looking. So I found them. Never mind I lost 20 years of interest. Oh well at least I had them.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Tubes wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:03 am
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:35 pm Also, paper Savings Bonds are more likely to be found by your heirs which may not be the case when it comes to knowing about your TD account.
Maybe right now, but our online worlds are expanding so fast, we're going to all have to find a way to tell our heirs about everything online.

Mom slipped some of my savings bonds given as gifts to me at my birth into my "early art" mementos. I put those on the shelf for decades. But, hey, she was right. There's no way I'd just throw those away without looking. So I found them. Never mind I lost 20 years of interest. Oh well at least I had them.
FWIW, I print out the page that has TOD beneficiary info for my accounts and put them in an envelope addressed to the beneficiary ( I actually make two copies of this ) and keep the envelope(s) in places that if something happens to me, someone will find them.

As far as paper bonds go, there seems to be some additional frictions being put on redeeming those going forward:
https://bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=376420
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:35 pm Paper Savings Bonds, either previously purchased or gotten via the tax refund method, can be replaced if lost, stolen or even fraudulently redeemed. That's why I recommend that folks who have them, or get them via the tax refund method, consider keeping them rather than converting them to electronic holdings at TD.

Also, paper Savings Bonds are more likely to be found by your heirs which may not be the case when it comes to knowing about your TD account.
There may be so few places that will cash paper savings bonds in the not so distant future that the heirs have to mail paper bonds to the Treasury for redemption. It is already happening.
Fremdon Ferndock

HueyLD wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:11 am
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:35 pm Paper Savings Bonds, either previously purchased or gotten via the tax refund method, can be replaced if lost, stolen or even fraudulently redeemed. That's why I recommend that folks who have them, or get them via the tax refund method, consider keeping them rather than converting them to electronic holdings at TD.

There may be so few places that will cash paper savings bonds in the not so distant future that the heirs have to mail paper bonds to the Treasury for redemption. It is already happening.
They obviously want to get rid of paper bonds; but they're going to have to deal with Mel to do it! :annoyed
trizzle

Post by trizzle »

hornet96 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:28 pm Exhibit A of why we will never deal with Treasury Direct again, no matter how appealing iBonds may be.

Good luck Will, sorry you have to deal with this unprofessional (and unnecessary) hassle.
I liquidated all my ibonds last year for this very reason. I got locked out, it was a huge hassle to get back in and I knew my wife would never figure it out if anything where to every to happen. Just not worth it.
Cyndaquil2

Post by Cyndaquil2 »

[First time posting, just in case this helps anyone else.]

My account was locked since Jan. because I used a different browser and then forgot my high school best friend's name. I tried calling at all hours, always getting the two hour+ delay message (I even tried staying on the line for 2.5 hours last Friday and got nowhere and gave up).

BUT! Today I called at 7:59AM ET and redialed until I did not get the "Our offices are closed" message, then I pressed 4 whenever the guy started talking to skip the opening message, and got someone on the line on the second ring. My account was unlocked within 5-10 minutes.
Gnomon

Post by Gnomon »

I may regret saying this since I have not yet been locked out of my TD account, but why is it such a burden to keep a record (screen grabs, typed note, or whatever works) of the fields you filled in when you created your TD account? Maybe I'm missing something.

Now if people are saying they are 100% certain they entered the same info that is on file at TD and they still got locked out, that's a different problem.

In that case, one thing to note is TD has a video on password reset (see https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/to ... SSWORD.htm ), and while you do need to enter the full set of info they have on file for your account, towards the end it says, "if you get a message that you exceeded the allowed attempts, close your browser and try [the password reset process] again. If that does not work, restart your computer and attempt to log back in. If you still cannot get in, call us at 844-284-2676."
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I found that many banks will still redeem your savings bonds if you have an account with them and have had that account for a period of time (usually a year, but some do not require that long).

While what you say about some heirs mailing the paper bonds to TD for redemption is undoubtedly true, at least the heirs will have found the paper savings bonds, whereas they may never know about the existence of the TD account since TD doesn't send any paper statements or 1099s that would create a crumb trail.

Finally, if any of the heirs are listed as co-owners on the paper bonds, they can simply go to their bank and redeem them.
Fremdon Ferndock

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:19 pm

I found that many banks will still redeem your savings bonds if you have an account with them and have had that account for a period of time (usually a year, but some do not require that long).

While what you say about some heirs mailing the paper bonds to TD for redemption is undoubtedly true, at least the heirs will have found the paper savings bonds, whereas they may never know about the existence of the TD account since TD doesn't send any paper statements or 1099s that would create a crumb trail.

Finally, if any of the heirs are listed as co-owners on the paper bonds, they can simply go to their bank and redeem them.
Yeh Mel - you are making me weep. I'm loving those I-Bonds now that they're paying 9% but worrying myself sick that I might lose some marbles and not be able to deal with TD and that my heirs won't know about it or be able to deal with it either. Really wish I had paper bonds.
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Gnomon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 am I may regret saying this since I have not yet been locked out of my TD account, but why is it such a burden to keep a record (screen grabs, typed note, or whatever works) of the fields you filled in when you created your TD account? Maybe I'm missing something.
It's not a burden IF you know that you need to do so beforehand. I didn't.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I feel your pain. I have what I consider to be a serious security issue with Treasury Direct, and I can't get anyone's attention there. I have used the Contact Us form and email several times. So far, no luck in getting anyone to look into the matter. Is there anyplace there to escalate issues to?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Mel do you have a legacy binder or something similar? We have one (digital and printed), there is an entry for Treasury Direct for my account and my spouse's account.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

anon_investor wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:07 pm

Mel do you have a legacy binder or something similar? We have one (digital and printed), there is an entry for Treasury Direct for my account and my spouse's account.
Yes, I do have instructions for my heirs that include how to handle my I Bonds as part of it.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Get a password manager. And have it also create random strings for your security questions and store this in there too. You’ll never lose them.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Never say never.
HeelaMonster

Post by HeelaMonster »

Gnomon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 am I may regret saying this since I have not yet been locked out of my TD account, but why is it such a burden to keep a record (screen grabs, typed note, or whatever works) of the fields you filled in when you created your TD account? Maybe I'm missing something.
Fair question, and it's not a burden. In my case, it was a simple/stupid matter of typing in the last name only for "my favorite author".... having forgotten that I entered first and last names when account was set up years ago. It was completely my mistake, and would not have been an issue if/when security questions are used to confirm identity VERBALLY (e.g., as the TD rep did on phone, where I passed with flying colors).

Once I finally got account unlocked, I (a) deleted first name of favorite author, and (b) wrote down answers to all security questions! :wink:
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Gnomon wrote: I may regret saying this since I have not yet been locked out of my TD account, but why is it such a burden to keep a record (screen grabs, typed note, or whatever works) of the fields you filled in when you created your TD account? Maybe I'm missing something.
Yes. They have email 2FA and a password, a combination that is a better authentication than security questions. And I have answers to the security questions in my password safe, but it locked me out before I could attempt to type one in because I had the audacity to log out, open my password safe, get the answers, and log back in to TD make the profile change I was attempting.
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:30 pm Never say never.
+1
nps

Post by nps »

For those concerned about this, I would print out your record of electronic Savings Bond holdings and leave it wherever you would have left your paper Savings Bonds.
Fremdon Ferndock

nps wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:50 pm
For those concerned about this, I would print out your record of electronic Savings Bond holdings and leave it wherever you would have left your paper Savings Bonds.
Good idea. :idea:
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:10 pm
For what it is worth, when I create a new account I pretty much always do so on a non-mobile device (ie mac or PC).

In one window I have the website up where I am creating the account. In another window I have my password manager up. I add the username and password ... first to the password manager. Then I cut and paste those into the new account page.

If security questions are required, I add the questions and the answers first to the notes section in the password manager login entry. The answers to the security question are of course made up. And I cut and paste from the password manager to the web page the security question answers where the account is being created.

And then at some later date if the account asks me to answer a security question, I typically cut and paste from the password manager ...

It's a bit tedious but it makes is less likely I'll be locked out of a website.

Despite their useful properties, I got rid of all our ibonds a few years ago. I wanted to reduce the number of accounts, TD is obviously a pain to deal with, and the percentage of the portfolio that was ibonds wasn't enough to really make them interesting (I stopped buying them when the fixed rate went to 0 -- that rate looks good now but it was unattractive for a long time).
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TN_Boy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:24 pm
For what it is worth, when I create a new account I pretty much always do so on a non-mobile device (ie mac or PC).

In one window I have the website up where I am creating the account. In another window I have my password manager up. I add the username and password ... first to the password manager. Then I cut and paste those into the new account page.

If security questions are required, I add the questions and the answers first to the notes section in the password manager login entry. The answers to the security question are of course made up. And I cut and paste from the password manager to the web page the security question answers where the account is being created.

And then at some later date if the account asks me to answer a security question, I typically cut and paste from the password manager ...

Despite their useful properties, I got rid of all our ibonds a few years ago. I wanted to reduce the number of accounts, TD is obviously a pain to deal with, and the percentage of the portfolio that was ibonds wasn't enough to really make them interesting (I stopped buying them when the fixed rate went to 0 -- that rate looks good now but it was unattractive for a long time).
+1 to that process.

But be sure to Copy & Paste rather than Cut & Paste.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:32 pm
TN_Boy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:24 pm

+1 to that process.

But be sure to Copy & Paste rather than Cut & Paste.
Good correction, thank you. Yes, copy and paste is what I meant!
K72

Post by K72 »

This will no doubt get some chuckles. Upon reading this thread, I decided to log in so I could write down the answers to my security questions. Sure enough, I got locked out because I botched the answers to the security questions in order to review the security questions. Sigh. Called TD this morning and it took 3 hours and 55 minutes to get through. Sure wish they could play pleasant music instead of the constant ringing......
All we want are the facts...
Topic Author
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

K72 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:07 pm This will no doubt get some chuckles. Upon reading this thread, I decided to log in so I could write down the answers to my security questions. Sure enough, I got locked out because I botched the answers to the security questions in order to review the security questions. Sigh. Called TD this morning and it took 3 hours and 55 minutes to get through. Sure wish they could play pleasant music instead of the constant ringing......
Sorry to hear about that. It's a horrific site. :(
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Post by 000 »

Juice < squeeze
Amanda999

Post by Amanda999 »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:25 pm
VA_Gent wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:53 pmPlease fill us in on the "accidental lock procedure".
The system asked me a security question, and I entered what I thought was the correct answer three times. I was apparently wrong, and the account is now locked. Now it seems that I have to get up before dawn and wait for hours to get it fixed.
I had exactly this happen to me late April 2022. I even had my cheat sheet of security questions/passwords open - reviewed it before I answered even the first time.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

000 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:19 pm Juice < squeeze
At current rates, I think it might be worth it... the problem is if you haven't already been purchasing them, the annual purchase limits aren't going to make it enough to move the needle for some, and I don't think these rates will last.
Nominal interest rates elsewhere are on the rise, and there are already signs of future (expected/implied) inflation rates dropping. Inflation is here to stay, but doubtful it's going to be growing at 8-9% annual rates for a lengthy period of time.

With <$10,000, one might do just as well or better, with less potential hassle, chasing new account bonuses at various banks/brokerages.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham