Keeping US Stock Account Open After Moving to Japan

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
hogehoge

Keeping US Stock Account Open After Moving to Japan

Post by hogehoge »

Hello,
Is there anyone who has moved their residence to Japan and kept their US stock account open and can continue to make new trades?
etrade is telling me that I must close my account if I move to Japan. However, I'm in Switzerland right now and before I came here from the US
etrade said the same about Swiss residents but after I arrived and sent a new W8-BEN they said it was fine to keep the US account open.
I'm not a US citizen or greencard holder or Japanese citizen either if it makes a difference.
Thanks
Staythecourse123

Re: Keeping US Stock Account Open After Moving to Japan

Post by Staythecourse123 »

I had (and have) a schwab account which I kept open while living in Japan when I lived there for a few years in the late 2010s and never had any issues with that. In fact with schwab I took advantage of the free ATM withdrawals globally + great exchange rate as a means of using it as a debit card / atm card when I wanted to convert US dollars to JPY.

I didn’t do much of any active trading in the account while living in Japan though, so can’t comment on that part.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Staythecourse123 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:44 pm I had (and have) a schwab account which I kept open while living in Japan when I lived there for a few years in the late 2010s and never had any issues with that. In fact with schwab I took advantage of the free ATM withdrawals globally + great exchange rate as a means of using it as a debit card / atm card when I wanted to convert US dollars to JPY.

I didn’t do much of any active trading in the account while living in Japan though, so can’t comment on that part.
I don’t think Schwab will open accounts for Japanese residents though. At least they wouldn’t let me open new accounts while I was a resident there due to Japanese restrictions on their residents.

Interactive Brokers will though. Make sure you open the international account and not the Japanese one unless you want Japanese products.
Last edited by typical.investor on Sun May 29, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Staythecourse123

Post by Staythecourse123 »

That’s a good point, I had my account already (set up whilst in US) before moving