Favorite Scotch?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
blood_donor

Favorite Scotch?

Post by blood_donor »

Bogleheads,

You all strike me as the type that are likely to gave good taste in scotch.

What is your favorite brand of scotch, overall?
What is your favorite brand of modestly priced (say, <30$) scotch?

I have been drinking Famous Grouse lately, myself.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

When we lived in Scotland (West Highlands) Famous Grouse was the overwhelming favorite.

For those who like a really, really, heavy, peaty single malt scotch like I do, you can't beat Laphroaig.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
LH2004

Post by LH2004 »

I'm rather embarrassed to admit that, when I tried Johnnie Walker Blue Label, I actually quite enjoyed it. If you buy it duty-free, the price is merely comical, rather than completely outrageous.

I think Glenmorangie is probably the best single-malt value [EDIT: among widely-available single malts], though I'm sure others will violently disagree.
Last edited by LH2004 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_M

Scotch(es)

Post by Dave_M »

Agree on the Laphroaig - the aged ones are a little smoother (but you still get the peat in your teeth) :o

I have a friend that always has cask strength Laphroaig around - I'm always nice to him :twisted:

MaCallan is on the other end of the spectrum, very smooth.

Bargain - Isle of Jura, so much more character than Glenlivit or Glenfiddich.
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

so tough to choose... but probably the blue dispenser, matte scotch tape
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Glenfiddich 12 y.o.

Haven't tried the older expensive versions.
jim

Post by jim »

McCallin, nice and smooth single malt. Have to admit as aWEB Griffin fan I had to try Famous Grouse. Must admit that for a blended it is very good. Usually stick to those two. Along he same lines I can not take Scotch any way but neat. Water ,sode or ice just totally alters the taste. Rather than wine I do a shot every day instead.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Musn't say Macallan. It's the Macallan. Was introduced to it on the Isle of Skye at a pub called "The Hebridean." Darned if it wasn't the bar scotch. What a revelation. :lol:

Two nights ago a friend opened up an 18-year Macallan produced just before "the nose" retired from Macallan. Zowie! Something to linger over.

Have also tried Cragganmore, which I like. I'm not up to Laphroaig anymore. I'm a wuss, or at least my gut is. Bob U.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

I prefer blended scotch. I have tried single malts such as Glenfiddich, Glenlivit, and Glenmorangie but always go back to the blends.

My favorite scotch is Compass Box Asyla or Chivas when I am out.

Sounds like I must try Famous Grouse though due to its high praise on this thread so far.
anthau

The Balvenie Doublewood 12 Year Old

Post by anthau »

But I hate peat.

Happy tasting,

Anth
Best, | | Anth
wmackey

Post by wmackey »

Cragganmore is my favorite when I can find it. The state stores in PA don't often stock it.

For an inexpensive choice, I lke Auchentoshan. It's a lowland single malt.

Wade
ol_pops

Cigar malt

Post by ol_pops »

I bought a bottle of Whitte&Mcay (sp) Cigar malt in the local shop. It's a blend but I found it quite good. ~$25 or so a bottle.
johndcraig

Post by johndcraig »

Never met a single malt I didn’t like

Deciding on a favorite scotch is like deciding on a favorite beer. There are many good ones and they vary greatly; depends on what you are in the mood for at the time. For an Islay malt I agree with most on Laphroaig. I also agree with Famous Grouse for a blend (and reasonably priced too). For an easy drinking single malt try Glenmorangie. My wife was introduced to it in Scotland, and even she, the scotch hater, liked it.

John
4th&Goal

Post by 4th&Goal »

Another vote for Glenmorangie, but I like them all!
"I advise you to go on living solely to enrage those who are paying your annuities. It is the only pleasure I have left." | (Voltaire)
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

What's all the fuss about a single malt scotch? The only scotch I've had was Johnnie Walker, and I was told that it was a very good scotch, but there is hardly a mention of Johnnie Walker on this thread. Is it because JW is a blended scotch? From the looks of things, single malt is almost always preferred to blended, is that the case?

The only liquor I truly enjoy is Crown on the rocks with a good cigar, preferably a Dunhill or a Cohiba. Maybe I need to start a thread about cigars...

John
Topic Author
blood_donor

Post by blood_donor »

OUJohnNasr wrote:What's all the fuss about a single malt scotch? The only scotch I've had was Johnnie Walker, and I was told that it was a very good scotch, but there is hardly a mention of Johnnie Walker on this thread. Is it because JW is a blended scotch? From the looks of things, single malt is almost always preferred to blended, is that the case?

The only liquor I truly enjoy is Crown on the rocks with a good cigar, preferably a Dunhill or a Cohiba. Maybe I need to start a thread about cigars...

John
YOU BLASPHEME AGAINST THE CHURCH OF SINGLE MALT?!? SILENCE!!!

:-)
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

OUJohnNasr wrote:only scotch I've had was Johnnie Walker
Red? Black? Blue or green?

I got a bottle of The Peat Monster the other day that wasn't bad at all.

The typical single malts aren't too bad, i.e. the glen*s.
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

Nitsuj wrote:
OUJohnNasr wrote:only scotch I've had was Johnnie Walker

I got a bottle of The Peat Monster the other day that wasn't bad at all.

The typical single malts aren't too bad, i.e. the glen*s.
I've had the Red and the Black Label, but I've never had the Green, Gold, or Blue. I thought the Red was very average, but the Black was a nice treat, although I didn't enjoy it as much as Crown Royal.

John
goggles

Post by goggles »

I'm feeling a little tentative here, since someone has already been called out as a blasphemer! But I have to admit that I too am a blasphemer. Bear with me, don't freak out yet....

I don't like scotch. Shame, shame on me, I know. But I want to learn to appreciate it. The way people rhapsodize about scotch makes me want to learn to love it.

So, then, why do you like scotch? How do you think one could go about developing an appreciation for it? Help a poor lost soul!
ndchamp

Oldie but Coldie

Post by ndchamp »

Give me a tall, cold, refreshing beer anytime.
But if you LIKE the taste of dirt....hey....go for it. :D
4th&Goal

Post by 4th&Goal »

OUJohnNasr wrote:From the looks of things, single malt is almost always preferred to blended, is that the case? John
Blended Scotch whiskey is the market leader by a good margin. It is the index fund of Scotch ... many good whiskeys blended together.
"I advise you to go on living solely to enrage those who are paying your annuities. It is the only pleasure I have left." | (Voltaire)
jim

Post by jim »

Goggles! I was a Scotch hater too until I was offered a drink, neat. I was told it was the only way to truly enjoy a good Scotch. Happend that was Famous Grouse, a good sippin whisky, so to speak. To this day I can not stand scotch any way but neat. Try Famous Grouse. The trick is sip not drink. One shot can last quite awhile.
Be careful of the clubs in Phoenix, Asking for a shot neat is a half a whiskey tumbler.
ddb

Impossible to answer!

Post by ddb »

No way to answer this question, just like I couldn't say what is my favorite bottle of wine, favorite movie, favorite book, etc. There are so many good ones!

Having said that, I second (or third?) the earlier "props" given to Laphroaig. The 10-year represents a great value among mass-market single malts, IMO. I liked it enough to pick up a bottle of 15-year for rarer occasions.

I'm not much of a blend guy. Even the Johnnie Walker Blues of the world don't excite me too much. Bourbon, on the other hand...

- DDB
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

I do not think this poll was started to determine what scotch was the best. Everyone has there own taste preferences. Some people do not like scotch and never will. I prefer good beer over scotch, whisky, vodka, or wine but I like alcohol in general. That is probably not a good thing. :wink:

I continue to read praise for Famous Grouse and need to try it shortly.
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

DocHolliday wrote:I do not think this poll was started to determine what scotch was the best.
I agree. More of a question as to what people like, as this stuff is expensive, so that the better ones filter to the top of the "to try next" list.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Neat, yes. I didn't know there was any other way to sip a single malt. :lol: Bob U.
arbogast777

Post by arbogast777 »

My daily glass is Glenmorangie (12 yr port cask), but when I have a little extra cash my favorite to get is Lagavulin 16. It's like licking the inside of chimney 8)
Levett

Post by Levett »

Nice analogy, arbogast! I've never tried licking the inside of my chimney, but I'll take your word for it. :lol: Bob U.
Yuba

Post by Yuba »

goggles wrote:I don't like scotch. Shame, shame on me, I know. But I want to learn to appreciate it. The way people rhapsodize about scotch makes me want to learn to love it.

So, then, why do you like scotch? How do you think one could go about developing an appreciation for it? Help a poor lost soul!
I married into a Scotch family. I found the easiest way to "learn" to enjoy the taste of Scotch is to start with a nice blend (I chose JW Black) and a nice Single Malt (I chose Glenmorangie). Once you know whether you prefer a blend or single (or both as I did) then you can "work your way down" the price list.

Unless you already have a taste for hard alcohol, then it might be easier to transition without starting with the more expensive ones.

Rick dba Yuba
johndcraig

Post by johndcraig »

bob u. wrote:Neat, yes. I didn't know there was any other way to sip a single malt. :lol: Bob U.
I prefer it neat, but in the UK it's usually mixed with a little water (no ice).
psquared

Post by psquared »

I have tried all the Johnny Walker colors. By far my favorite is the Green Label. It's about $50 a bottle here in TX where Blue Label goes for $200 (found it for $150 at Costco in San Diego recently). The difference in taste is almost zero- both Blue and Green are very smoothe but you can buy 4 bottles of Green or 1 bottle of Blue. I'd say that's a Boglehead Bargain.

Also enjoy Crown Royal. Everything over crushed ice, of course.

Cheers!
Pat
Pat...aka psquared
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

johndcraig wrote:I prefer it neat, but in the UK it's usually mixed with a little water (no ice).
Preferably the same water that the distillery uses.
biasion

Post by biasion »

[removed]
1. Do not confuse strategy with outcome | 2. Those who fail to plan plan to fail | 3. Do not assume the unlikely is impossible, and | 4. Be ready to deal with the consequences if you do.
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

bettega wrote: Crown Royal is a good Canadian blend
Shame that's an oxymoron.
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

Nitsuj wrote:
bettega wrote: Crown Royal is a good Canadian blend
Shame that's an oxymoron.
What's wrong with Crown Royal?!?! :shock:
biasion

Post by biasion »

[removed]
1. Do not confuse strategy with outcome | 2. Those who fail to plan plan to fail | 3. Do not assume the unlikely is impossible, and | 4. Be ready to deal with the consequences if you do.
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

OUJohnNasr wrote:What's wrong with Crown Royal?!?! :shock:
The taste?
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

Nitsuj wrote:
OUJohnNasr wrote:What's wrong with Crown Royal?!?! :shock:
The taste?
WHAT?!?!?! :shock:
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

OUJohnNasr wrote:WHAT?!?!?! :shock:
IMHO, it's overrated and tastes poorly
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

Nitsuj wrote:
OUJohnNasr wrote:WHAT?!?!?! :shock:
IMHO, it's overrated and tastes poorly
The Crown Royal Special Reserve is way overrated, but the original Crown Royal is downright delicious! What don't you like about the taste? I've never met a man who enjoyed whisky and scotch but didn't fancy a little Crown.
schellhase

Post by schellhase »

I was sitting here reading the Bogleheads posts when I came on the subject. It made me thirsty for some Scotch, so I polished off the glass of Rodney Strong Pinot Noir I had been sipping and pored a glass of Trader Joe's 15 year old Glenlivet. I should have stayed with the pinot.
biasion

Post by biasion »

[removed]
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

bettega wrote:Crown Royal doesn't taste that good but what sets it apart for its price is that it is so smooooooth without a hint of burn. Simple and boring, yes, but far more palatable than anything close to its price range. Compare it to other whiskeys that cost ~20 dollars... what a difference! Granted it's no 15 year old scotch, but for the money it's a steal.
Smooth and boring, not necessarily something I look for in a drink. If I want to get drunk why spend more than 10 bucks? If I want to sip something I want something that tastes good.

For the ~$20 mark I'd go with a Makers Mark or similar. Knob Creek for a little more bite. Black label JW is passable.
jms969

Post by jms969 »

One pretty high on my list is an Oban Highland...

Highlands are my favorite :D

Of course neat, with one drop of distilled water...
Last edited by jms969 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car.
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

Nitsuj wrote: mooth and boring, not necessarily something I look for in a drink. If I want to get drunk why spend more than 10 bucks? If I want to sip something I want something that tastes good.

For the ~$20 mark I'd go with a Makers Mark or similar. Knob Creek for a little more bite. Black label JW is passable.
Maker's Mark is a nice drink, especially if you've got a Maker's Mark cigar to go with it. If you love the taste of Maker's Mark but don't want the alcohol, try a Maker's Mark cigar. They're delicious!

Knob Creek is atrocious.

I enjoy Black label Johnnie Walker.
biasion

Post by biasion »

[removed]
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

bettega wrote:Well I don't drink to get drunk, but the topic is scotch. Yes, I know I hijacked the threat by bringing up crown royal, and I really like Maker's Mark, but where on earth do you get it for 20 dollars a bottle not in a duty free in some 3rd world country where liquor taxes are negligible???
Wherever I go, Crown and Makers are within a dollar of each other in price.

Makers was 22.99 at the local Marsh, Crown was 25.99
750ml
Last edited by Nitsuj on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Post by hudson »

xx What is your favorite brand of scotch, overall? xx

Highland Park...distilled north of Scotland near Kirkwall, Orkney.

It's available in NC ABC stores.

http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/distillery/
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

I'm a Speyside man, and my favourite is The Macallan 18
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I quit drinking years ago. I probably save $1000 a year. I am healthier and happier. But to each his own.