[Poll] Do you have all your 1099s, W-2s, etc.?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

Do you have all your 1099s, W-2s, etc?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I have them all before February 1
30%
I am waiting for two more
18%
I am waiting for two more
18%
I am waiting for more than that!
34%

Total votes: 138

Topic Author
sscritic

[Poll] Do you have all your 1099s, W-2s, etc.?

Post by sscritic »

U.S. taxpayers only:
When the Vanguard 1099s were first available for download, there was a fuss about what browser and operating system were needed to get the forms in those first few days. I wondered at the time if it really mattered. While I have my Vanguard forms, I am still waiting for one from a bank that was taken over mid year and one from a unit investment trust, which sent me a letter today that due to changes in the tax law, they won’t be sending me the forms until either February 16 or early March. My poll assumes that you have opened your mail for Saturday, January 30 and you do not get mail delivery on Sunday, so you should be able to answer. Could you complete your tax forms tomorrow if you had the inclination?

I thought I was missing two others, but then realized I had earned less than $10 in interest in those accounts and wouldn't be getting 1099s for them.
VTSMX

Post by VTSMX »

Still waiting for an Ally Bank 1099-INT.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

I'm waiting for a K-1.
pjstack
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

TurboTax does it again. I imported most of my taxable data and let TT do it's magic. Just finished my 2009 fed taxes (no state tax in TX) and I should get my refund into my checking account in a few weeks. Sure hope that the feds still have enough cash to refund me a couple a grand.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Toons

Post by Toons »

Waiting for 2 brokerage 1099's ,1 1099-Misc
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Post by 555 »

Last edited by 555 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
MOBoglehead

Post by MOBoglehead »

Got em all. Taxes are done. Check for what I owe uncle sam has already been cashed and I got my refund from the state yesterday. All done in record time for me !
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Have received all my tax documents (SSA-1099, 1099-R, 1099-B, Interest and Dividend statements, etc.), e-filed my return, received acceptance acknowledgement, and await the direct deposit this coming Thursday night.
Tom D.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

VTSMX wrote:Still waiting for an Ally Bank 1099-INT.
Ditto. Only one that's still outstanding.
orthros

Post by orthros »

I never have mine by February 1st... sigh... maybe some day.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

pjstack wrote:I'm waiting for a K-1.

Is there a date when K=1s are supposed to be sent? I usually get the K-1 from a real estate LP after March 15. It's a little more aggravating this year since I expect to get a nice refund from the IRS.

EO
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I received my Vanguard 1099 about ten days ago. My credit union did not send me a 1099, because my savings account paid only $0.11 in interest in 2009.

I was able to go online to access and print my W-2 about two weeks into the new year.
Gordon
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

Stick a fork in me, I'm done. Got the last info I needed from my credit union yesterday and finished my taxes using TT online an hour later.

I can hardly wait for my $32 refund. :D

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

VTSMX wrote:

Same here.Called them today and was told that they were sent out yesterday( Friday 1-29 ).
All the Best, | Joe
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

For the first time since I began filing tax returns in 1985, I am not receiving any W-2 forms (I retired in 2008 at age 45). Yay! Also good not having to file any non-resident income tax forms for the first time in 9 years More yay!

I got a 1098 form today, so I have all the forms, having received the 1099s a few weeks ago. But I owe the feds and my state so I won't be filing until early April.
SaturnV

Post by SaturnV »

masteraleph wrote:
+1
mikep

Post by mikep »

I still need 3 things:
1099-INT, 1099-B, and 1098-SA
moshen

Post by moshen »

still waiting on 1099s for my brokerage
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

I just got everything that I need a couple of days ago.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Still waiting on a 1099-MISC from a branch of the Federal gov't.

Got my W-2 on Saturday--my employer always waits to mail them on the last business day of January. Not sure why, because they also make them available electronically by mid-month.

A few weeks ago, I compiled a checklist of all the supporting tax documents that I was expecting to arrive in the mail. I was surprised how long it was: 18 items. Nine letters from charities acknowledging gifts, eight 1099's of various flavors (DIV, INT, MISC, R, B), and a W-2.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Filed last Sunday :)
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Still awaiting a W2 for part time work and a K-1. My taxes are done. I just need to plug in the info from these 2 documents.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

Dumb question but - for ROTH IRAs...are we required to pay taxes on them?

Even if we aren't, do they need to be filed anywhere.

I don't see where to download this tax form from on their site. Thanks!
OAG

Post by OAG »

Filed last Tuesday. Had to file a State Return, acknowledged on Thursday and refund due in 10 days. I will know the FEDS got the Federal Return when they cash the $38 I owed them. Almost all 1099-INT, 1099-IRA, etc., are now on line.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Still waiting for forms.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I'm waiting on two K-1's. I'm in no hurry since I owe the IRS a couple hundred bucks.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It would be helpful if banks would put a conspicuous notice on their December statements saying "Because your interest for the year was less than $10 you will not be receiving a 1099-INT from us." Printed near the edge so it's easy to tear off and drop into your tax folder. Come March it's hard to tell whether you're missing a 1099 because it's late or because there ain't gonna be one.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

OAG wrote:Filed last Tuesday. Had to file a State Return, acknowledged on Thursday and refund due in 10 days. I will know the FEDS got the Federal Return when they cash the $38 I owed them.
The check hasn't cleared yet? :shock:

My experience has been that when it comes to delivering tax returns and processing checks, the USPS and IRS are faster than greased lightning.

I often see 1-day turnaround: file a paper return with a paper check for taxes due, say on a Monday. Log in to my checking account on a Tuesday evening and see that the check has cleared.

If it hasn't cleared by Wed. evening, I start to worry. :wink:
donocash

Post by donocash »

Still waiting for my 1099-DIV from Vanguard. Nothing in the mail; nothing available on-line.
rcshouldis

Post by rcshouldis »

I filed my Federal return on 1/22/2010 through turbotax and my refund was deposited in my checking account on 1/29/2010. How's that for speed?
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

I received my last two forms yesterday, Saturday, and spent the next 8 hours doing my federal and state taxes. I do them the way God intended - by hand, pencil/pen and paper. It's a lot of work (1040, Schedules A, B, D, E, 6251/AMT, 8606), but it helps me have a good sense of what's going on and possible future options. I'll mail them off later today.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Still waiting for K-1.

As a farmer, we are required to file by March 1 rather than April 15. K-1's are always a problem.

Paul W
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

donocash wrote:Still waiting for my 1099-DIV from Vanguard. Nothing in the mail; nothing available on-line.
If you are going to use TT you can import all of the data from VG and many other financial firms. I was even able to import a W-2 from a company that I worked for a bit in 2009. It all came thru ADP so I assume that if your company used ADP you do not have to wait for the paper copy.
Last edited by mickeyd on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I don't have a few 1099's, but I can estimate the dividends from the year-end statements. However, the year-end statements do not have any of the foreign-tax paid info that I will need.

We are working on college FAFSA stuff with a deadline tomorrow. They even want a copy of the tax return submitted. They will have to wait.
chuck h

Post by chuck h »

Waiting for a 1099 from Scottrade. Their website indicates that the 1099's for the sale of ETF's in 2009, which I did, will not be mailed until February 15th.
bc3x

Post by bc3x »

Got all the tax info 30 minutes after they were posted on 1/16. Efiled both fed and NYS returns 1/22. Fed refund was instantaneous (applied to next estimated payment). Despite 3 attempts to give NYS $254, they continue to say that they are not ready yet. With a budget deficit of $17.9 billion one would think they would be happy to have the money.
Gratitude and Rudyard Kipling's "If"
Madd Hatter

Post by Madd Hatter »

nisiprius wrote:It would be helpful if banks would put a conspicuous notice on their December statements saying "Because your interest for the year was less than $10 you will not be receiving a 1099-INT from us." Printed near the edge so it's easy to tear off and drop into your tax folder. Come March it's hard to tell whether you're missing a 1099 because it's late or because there ain't gonna be one.
Big ups to ING Direct for emailing this very reminder. Spurred me to think about all my online accts, and I'm not sure Dollar Savings Direct is sending paper 1099s (got one for my Emigrant account this past week) so I pulled the number online, and I'm now ready to rock as my W2 came 1/30 and my wife informed me she can go online to print her W2.
KCJayhawker

Post by KCJayhawker »

PaulW wrote:Still waiting for K-1.

As a farmer, we are required to file by March 1 rather than April 15. K-1's are always a problem.

Paul W
File an extension. Most small business owners I know file extensions because of the delay in K-1's.

As for the original question...I'm still waiting on two K-1's. One is from a MLP I owned....I'm scared it might not come until June.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Scottrade keeps me waiting every year...
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I'm waiting for a 1099-DIV for the only individual company stock I own. I'm going to dump that sucker some time this year.

I guess I should be happy it's still paying dividends.
bryanv

Post by bryanv »

I'm only missing Ally. I could easily enough figure it out from statements, but I'm in no hurry to file.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

I'm in the strange position this year of NOT trusting any of my 1099s--I'm calculating everything --so far I've found 2 or if I nit pick (BofA)-3 errors.

1) My SSA 1099 is wrong--I appealed an income-related premium increase and won, they refunded about $300 for this but still showed it as premiums paid which affects my itemized deductions--although in my favor. I'm convinced--because of Form 521 problems--way too much stuff at SSA is done by hand

2) My SmartyPig 1099 was wrong

3) Two weeks ago I got a "Combined Tax Statement for Year 2009" from Bank of America--Jeez, I thought "Combined" meant, uh, *combined" but no--yesterday I got another "Combined Tax Statement for Year 2009" from BofA for a little less than $1K--looks exactly the same, same EIN--except for the amounts, of course, as the first one. So I drug out all my files, did some calculations and figured out that latest one was from a couple Countrywide CDs that matured in January, 09. Silly me, I thought one could program a computer to "combine" but these days it's all GIGO.

4) As usual, TD Ameritrade hasn't sent 1099s nor are they available online. I think last year they got an extension to mid February. You gotta wonder why a company can't do this in a timely manner--what else can't they do Yes, I'm moving the account.

5) Then there's the guy in the next room-- he hasn't sent me a "nominee" 1099 from our joint account yet :D; -- jeez everything is more complicated tax wise this year; separate forms for each charitable contribution according to Turbo Tax and it makes my head hurt to even think of all the other changes.

I think I need an exorcism :D

Nonnie
Topic Author
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

nonnie wrote: 3) Two weeks ago I got a "Combined Tax Statement for Year 2009" from Bank of America--Jeez, I thought "Combined" meant, uh, *combined" but no--yesterday I got another "Combined Tax Statement for Year 2009" from BofA for a little less than $1K--looks exactly the same, same EIN--except for the amounts, of course, as the first one. So I drug out all my files, did some calculations and figured out that latest one was from a couple Countrywide CDs that matured in January, 09. Silly me, I thought one could program a computer to "combine" but these days it's all GIGO.
That's the one I mentioned in my original post, although not by name. I had a Countrywide Savings Link account which is now an account at BofA. My BofA 1099 covered my regular BofA accounts, but I still don't have a 1099 from BofA for the Countrywide account. At least you got yours. Maybe mine will come in the mail tomorrow.
lacakid

Post by lacakid »

Tom---
mcblum

tax docs.

Post by mcblum »

Mos of my stuff came fairly early in Jan. 3 employment statements, interest and taxes paid on house, divs on investment accounts. Still short on one
employment statement (wife's) and Maryland tax return from last year. This last figure i can get from '09 tax return. Laggards!!!

Regards, Marty
the intruder

Post by the intruder »

bc3x wrote:Got all the tax info 30 minutes after they were posted on 1/16. Efiled both fed and NYS returns 1/22. Fed refund was instantaneous (applied to next estimated payment). Despite 3 attempts to give NYS $254, they continue to say that they are not ready yet. With a budget deficit of $17.9 billion one would think they would be happy to have the money.
Why are you so obesssed with paying taxes early? I always make sure that I owe a little to give myself an interest free loan from the IRS/state tax since I have to wait for K-1s which will not be issued until mid March and may be corrected. This gives me time to find additional deductions that arent on software programs.

If you are unahppy with NYS's refusal to process your return just move to a state without an income tax.
davegod75

Post by davegod75 »

Still waiting on USAA. Don't bank have to have 1099's available by 29 Jan by law?
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

sscritic wrote:
nonnie wrote: 3) Two weeks ago I got a "Combined Tax Statement for Year 2009" from Bank of America--Jeez, I thought "Combined" meant, uh, *combined" but no--yesterday I got another "Combined Tax Statement for Year 2009" from BofA for a little less than $1K--looks exactly the same, same EIN--except for the amounts, of course, as the first one. So I drug out all my files, did some calculations and figured out that latest one was from a couple Countrywide CDs that matured in January, 09. Silly me, I thought one could program a computer to "combine" but these days it's all GIGO.
That's the one I mentioned in my original post, although not by name. I had a Countrywide Savings Link account which is now an account at BofA. My BofA 1099 covered my regular BofA accounts, but I still don't have a 1099 from BofA for the Countrywide account. At least you got yours. Maybe mine will come in the mail tomorrow.
Oh yeah, I got mine-- over and over and over again :D In the end it's my fault for forgetting about it and assuming in was in the "combined" statement. I closed my CW CDs and accounts because I already had a BofA. Hope you get yours today in the mail.

I usually don't care how late or early they come--as some mutual fund company--bake when I had some--would almost always have a "corrected" form mid Feb. or March and so I learned to to file late. This year, however, I needed a 1040 to file with my income-based Medicare premium appeal.

Nonnie
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

Same. That an a local credit Union has to send us one.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
Tiekoon

Post by Tiekoon »

Not that I am ever in a big hurry to file a tax return but…..NO, still waiting for some 1099’s. And, as usual, don’t expect to see K-1’s for several MLP’s until March first at the earliest.

Don’t know if all Schwab customers got this but, I just received this email from them today regarding current 1099’s….(just the subject part)

“We want you to know that we'll be mailing your original Form(s) 1099 for tax year 2009 in mid-February 2010. We're taking this action to help minimize the number of corrected Form(s) 1099 you may receive.
You’ll receive your Form(s) 1099 in mid-February because the type(s) of securities you hold may reflect the following:
• Late tax information from securities issuers. One or more of the issuers of your securities may be unable to provide us with tax information in time for mailing Form 1099 at the end of January 2010.
• Reallocation of income by securities issuers. Certain income (e.g., dividends, capital gains) from one or more of your securities may need to be reallocated after January 2010. For more details about individual tax reporting, please visit the Schwab Tax Center”.

Maybe it's because of the securities I hold (domestic & foreign stocks and ETF’s) but, last year Schwab was sending me revised/corrected 1099’s all the way up until April first. Apparently they are making an extra effort to avoid a repeat of last years reporting.

Jack
Last edited by Tiekoon on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.