IRS Identity Protection PIN

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Carl53

Re: IRS Identity Protection PIN

Post by Carl53 »

I used the IPIN for the first time last year. Since we have moved I was uncertain whether or not the mailed 2022 pin would be forwarded. I was able to login to the IRS.gov site using my former login (I saw a message that I would have to redo the login signup by June). I did not see anything about IPIN on any of the top level pages. I did a search of the website and came across a set of FAQs on IPINs. From there there was a link to get a new IPIN. I went through this and was about to give up when I noticed my new 2022 IPIN at the very top of the screen.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have just logged in to my IRS account and got the year-2022 PIN (for 2021 taxes) online. There was also a message that in the middle of 2022, IRS will transition to a more secure login.
- Is that secure login ID.me?
- Can I just continue with my current login credentials without ID.me?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:08 pm I have just logged in to my IRS account and got the year-2022 PIN (for 2021 taxes) online. There was also a message that in the middle of 2022, IRS will transition to a more secure login.
- Is that secure login ID.me?
- Can I just continue with my current login credentials without ID.me?

Victoria
Yes, they are referring to ID.me and your current account likely will stop working at some point.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Got mine. First year doing this, but seems like a good idea with continued data breaches.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:40 pm Got mine. First year doing this, but seems like a good idea with continued data breaches.
What happens when ID.me gets hacked.
dual

Post by dual »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:40 pm Got mine. First year doing this, but seems like a good idea with continued data breaches.
In the future you will have to have an account with ID.me to obtain your PIN. I still have not figured out how someone like me who only has a TracFone cell phone and a VOIP landline can obtain one. See this thread.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... #p6450632

As I understand it, from now on you will need a PIN to file even a paper return. Without ID.me the only way to get a PIN seems to be to go in person to an IRS office.
Last edited by dual on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:53 pm
What happens when ID.me gets hacked.
🤯
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

dual wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:54 pm
In the future you will have to have an account with ID.me to obtain your PIN. I still have not figured out how someone like me who only has a TracFone cell phone and a VOIP landline can obtain one. See this thread.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... #p6452284

As I understand it, from now on you will need a PIN to file even a paper return. Without ID.me the only way to get a PIN seems to be to go in person to an IRS office.
Thanks. I have an ID.me account now. It was a pain, but it's done now.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:57 pm
dual wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:54 pm

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... #p6452284

Thanks. I have an ID.me account now. It was a pain, but it's done now.
It was a pain for me too. Now I need to help my spouse set up her ID.me account now too. Setting up our Treasury Direct accounts was easier…
furwut

Post by furwut »

Since many people are having trouble setting up ID.me my intention is to obtain the IP PIN same way as I did last year and deal with the conversion to ID.me after my taxes have been filed.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Theseus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 am I am always concerned about fraudulent filing by someone else. So I found this while talking to IRS about something.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-frau ... ection-pin

Has anyone gotten the PIN? Is there any disadvantage in signing up for this? I am thinking of signing up for this and wanted to know BHs experiences.
I did this for spouse and I and recommend it.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
AAA

Post by AAA »

What is ID.me and what more does one have to do compared to what one did to set up their current IRS account?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

AAA wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:36 pm What is ID.me and what more does one have to do compared to what one did to set up their current IRS account?
Here's a current thread on ID.me and the issues some Bogleheads are facing with it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=363837