What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tooluser

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm Run Silent Run Deep (1958)
Free on YouTube
Classic submarine movie set in WW2 Pacific theater.
Can't go wrong with Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable. :beer
Tense and enjoyable.
Indeed. Tour a WWII submarine sometime (such as at Pearl Harbor). Much smaller than the movie portrays, and much more copper and brass as well. Surprising and uplifting.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

The colony. Netflix I think. Former earth inhabitants return to Earth, which they previously left as near inhabitable, and find there are still humans there in fairly primitive conditions. It’s OK. Not terribly remarkable but I made it all the way through.

Power of the dog- Netflix - western/cowboy movie but not at all typical. Two brothers herd cattle, one is a cowboy through and through and other not so much. Very slow paced, I started playing with my phone at times. Has an uncomfortable tenseness for a good part of it but then it starts in a different direction but then ends in an unexpected way. I’d say the movie is worth it just in the way it wraps up. It’s one of those that I went and googled an explanation just to make sure I understood what had happened there.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Being the Ricardos, on Amazon Prime.

Not sure why it has so many bad reviews on Amazon. I liked it. As someone who grew up watching I Love Lucy, I found it odd to see Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem playing Lucy and Desi. Nicole as Lucy was good (especially her voice), but I could never quite buy Javier as Desi. Nevertheless, the movie did a good job of showing the groundbreaking nature of I Love Lucy, and the hard work and talent that both Lucy and Desi brought to the show and to American TV.

Recommended.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 am Being the Ricardos, on Amazon Prime.

Not sure why it has so many bad reviews on Amazon. I liked it. As someone who grew up watching I Love Lucy, I found it odd to see Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem playing Lucy and Desi. Nicole as Lucy was good (especially her voice), but I could never quite buy Javier as Desi. Nevertheless, the movie did a good job of showing the groundbreaking nature of I Love Lucy, and the hard work and talent that both Lucy and Desi brought to the show and to American TV.

Recommended.
It's in my Q. I heard Nicole Kidman interviewed on NPR recently where she discusses making the movie. I really like both actors in other films.
TSintheATL

Post by TSintheATL »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm Run Silent Run Deep (1958)
Look for Don Rickles in a rare dramatic role, I believe his film debut.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Last night we watched Dune on a 4k blu ray, on a 77"OLED TV. I felt like I was back at the theater when we saw it the first time. This was the first 4k blu ray we bought and watched.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

WarGames (1983)
Free on YouTube
Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy in a look at when AI interferes with national defense.
Very interesting and shades of Strangelove and precursor to SkyNet.
Keep an eye on the old tech :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Pig (2021) Nicolas Cage, Alex Wolff, Adam Arkin

Nicolas Cage searching for his stolen pig. In the beginning the plot reminded me of “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure”, with him searching for his stolen bike. Of course that was a silly comedy and this a poignant drama, almost a film noir. I loved it. We checked the DVD out of our local public library.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched "Wander" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9689696/ on Amazon last night . Wife and I looked at each other during the final scene and both said "WTF just happened"?
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Don't Look Up. All-star cast with some interesting metaphors that some will relate to present day discussions and debates.

Tim
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Catch Me If You Can- The Story of Pan Am" on YouTube. Covers the history of a company that practically invents the commercial flight industry, lead by a strong visionary reinvents itself into the future a number of times, creates a prestigious Global brand and yet falls into insolvency under the direction of the 3 following CEO's and a terror event.
Recommend it if you like business type documentaries.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ratatouille on Amazon Prime ($3.99 rental in 4K UHD), rated G, Pixar Animation, 2007. A rat joins forces with a kitchen worker to become a chef. Well produced and fun to watch. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.