Posting Videos for Family Members

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
krafty81

Posting Videos for Family Members

Post by krafty81 »

Help! I recently converted a ton of old family VHS tapes to digital and have them on my Mac and external HD with multiple backups. I am using IMovie to edit them and sometimes add audio. Having fun with that. The challenge is setting up a way for our adult kids to view the completed videos. I have set up a youtube channel but am a little put off by the complexity and, despite multiple "invites" , my kids can't seem to access the videos.

Is there a better way to share videos that does not cost an arm and a leg? I looked at Vimeo and it seems expensive. Thanks!
lthenderson

Re: Posting Videos for Family Members

Post by lthenderson »

krafty81 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:01 am Help! I recently converted a ton of old family VHS tapes to digital and have them on my Mac and external HD with multiple backups. I am using IMovie to edit them and sometimes add audio. Having fun with that. The challenge is setting up a way for our adult kids to view the completed videos. I have set up a youtube channel but am a little put off by the complexity and, despite multiple "invites" , my kids can't seem to access the videos.

Is there a better way to share videos that does not cost an arm and a leg? I looked at Vimeo and it seems expensive. Thanks!
I went the route of just burning them onto DVD's and mailing them out so everyone has a digital copy that could be played on any DVD player. I also hoped this might preserve them for future generations by increasing the chances one might survive. My wife's family has a private Facebook group on which they share videos and pictures. It seems to work pretty good but I've heard younger generations really try to steer clear of the platform.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Rather than uploading or saving to DVD, I scanned and copied all the family photos and movies to a hard drive. In total it was about 450gb of data, so I just made several copies, saved to 500gb ssd drives, and gave the entire collection to family members for holiday gifts. They loved it and they can view anything at their leisure.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I would use either Google Drive or dropbox for this.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
AAA

Post by AAA »

When I did this several years ago I wrote the files to archival dvd's (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... discs.html) I don't really understand the technology but it appeared to be a better long term option than standard dvd's.
Afty

Post by Afty »

You could put them on Google Photos, create an album, then share by link: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6131416

This won't require any login for anyone with the link.
CRC301

Post by CRC301 »

Another vote for Google Drive/Photos. My dad digitized all our old childhood videos and put them up in Google cloud with shared links we can access. I have a child now and upload all our family videos/pictures to Google photos and share links with the family. It's pretty cool, everyone gets notifications when new content is uploaded and they can comment on the photos.

I think you can share a purchased Google storage cloud area with multiple family members. https://one.google.com/