BH New Tv Opinions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
truenyer

BH New Tv Opinions

Post by truenyer »

I haven't posted on BH about buying consumer goods, but I figure now's a good a time as any.

I'm thinking of upgrading my 10 year old 55" Samsung (while also convincing my wife it needs upgrading). It's our main TV in the house in a den/family room where we sit 13 ft away from the TV. Therefore, I am looking at 75-inchers.

I did some research on rtings.com and on Reddit, and boy was that a bad idea. The Reddit fanboys are really harsh, and are trying to make me think that buying anything other than a Samsung Q90 ($2700) is a waste of money. Certainly that can't be the case.

Have any of you BHers bought a new TV recently? I don't want OLED. I was thinking Samsung QLED (Q6 or Q7) but the rtings (and, well, Reddit) reviews are bad. Specifically for local dimming.

Then I saw the Sony X90. Which seems to be a perfect balance of functionality/specs and budget ($1700 for 75").

Any thoughts?
brawlrats

Re: BH New Tv Opinions

Post by brawlrats »

Last year we bought a 55” Sony X900H 4k Smart LED with HDR. We’ve been very happy with it.

Only complaint was the need to buy a sound bar but that seems to be the issue with any ultra thin TV these days.
Last edited by brawlrats on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugalNY

Post by frugalNY »

I just bought a Samsung QLED 75 inch last December and so far happy with my decision. We also got a Sony soundbar and the experience is absolutely amazing if you are a movie watcher.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Bought a tcl series 8 65” about 1.5 yrs ago and am pretty happy with it. Oled is supposed to be better, but large price increase, plus the next gen oled will come out ? Next year, so I think I would go cheaper now and upgrade in 2 or 3 years.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

truenyer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:29 pm I don't want OLED.
Why not? At $2700 for a 77-inch OLED, it's a pretty modest jump in price for a huge jump in picture quality, esp. if you get 10 years out of it like with your current TV.

Of note, the Sony X90J you mentioned has rather narrow viewing angles, according to Rtings. That's because (like most of the better LCD TVs these days) it has a VA panel. The picture quality gets much worse as you move off to the side, a problem OLEDs don't have. Keep this in mind esp. for larger rooms/families.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

If you can wait a couple years, you might want to get a QD OLED. The initial hype is very positive, with much better brightness and saturation that traditional OLED while maintaining the same contrast levels. Sony and Samsung are both bringing out new TVs with the technology. No word on pricing yet, but I imagine it will be very high for a few years.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

MarkBarb wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:05 pm If you can wait a couple years, you might want to get a QD OLED. The initial hype is very positive, with much better brightness and saturation that traditional OLED while maintaining the same contrast levels. Sony and Samsung are both bringing out new TVs with the technology. No word on pricing yet, but I imagine it will be very high for a few years.
There's always something new in a couple of years, and typically at nosebleed prices. But no new technology thus far has been able to match OLED picture quality at the same price. OLEDs are actually relatively a better value now than a year or two ago - LCDs have gotten considerably more expensive in recent months, while OLEDs have continued to drop (slowly) in price.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

02nz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:10 pm
MarkBarb wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:05 pm If you can wait a couple years, you might want to get a QD OLED. The initial hype is very positive, with much better brightness and saturation that traditional OLED while maintaining the same contrast levels. Sony and Samsung are both bringing out new TVs with the technology. No word on pricing yet, but I imagine it will be very high for a few years.
There's always something new in a couple of years, and typically at nosebleed prices. But no new technology thus far has been able to match OLED picture quality at the same price. OLEDs are actually relatively a better value now than a year or two ago - LCDs have gotten considerably more expensive in recent months, while OLEDs have continued to drop (slowly) in price.
True enough, but OLED isn't ideal for all circumstances. The OP said he didn't want it. If his issue is a bright room, QD OLED could be a good option. If his issue is burn-in, we won't know for a long time. If his issue is cost, QD is going in the wrong direction.
misterjohnny

Post by misterjohnny »

To follow up on others, not sure why you ruled out OLED. I have an LG OLED, and it is the best picture I have ever seen. Others who have Samsungs and Sonys compliment my TV. Until a new technology supercedes it, I would go with OLED.
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

I bought a 65" Samsung Q90A, delivered less than 2 weeks ago; direct from Samsung. After spending an absurd amount of time researching, I choose a QLED top of the line for my situation. OLED had issues with performance in a bright room and performance wise OLED is much less bright than the Q90. I am in Hong Kong. We have an apartment (821 sq/ft) with 10.5' ceilings and a living room with glass the length of the wall with at least 9' of vertical glass. QLED is best for this situation. Also because the room is small by USA standards, viewers may be at extreme angles to the TV; I see very little, if any, reduction in picture quality at these extreme angles. The picture quality is outstanding. Although for a 71 yo guy the TV is sometimes too smart for me, but I have figured out how to view Netflix USA full screen from my MacBook to the TV!

Sound: it is just OK but better than listening to the speakers on my MacBook Air. I will get a soundbar and am leaning towards a top of the line Samsung. Separates (my real desire) would be overkill in this space plus I (DW) would worry about irritating the neighbors (18 floor apartment estate) plus quite expensive in HK. Also wires in a small room is not good.

Size: I am about 7-7.5' away from the screen, but buy as big as you can smuggle in under the watch of the CFO; my DW. I would have bought 75" but initially DW said 65" is it. I did not agree until I saw the price difference; double to go from 65 to 75; (BTW electronics like TVs are very expensive in HK- think $6700USD, a discount, for the 75).

Take your time. If you want to go down more rabbit holes, check out AVForum, as well as Rtings for opinion/reviews for TVs and Soundbars....
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I have been happy with the Samsung QLED that I bought a few years ago.

I remember reading that OLED was not as bright, could be a factor if you have a brightly lit room.
paisano

Post by paisano »

A 75" TV has almost double the surface area as a 55" TV, so any model is going to seem much brighter.
Topic Author
truenyer

Post by truenyer »

Thanks everyone for the quick comments!
02nz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:57 pm Why not? At $2700 for a 77-inch OLED, it's a pretty modest jump in price for a huge jump in picture quality, esp. if you get 10 years out of it like with your current TV.

Of note, the Sony X90J you mentioned has rather narrow viewing angles, according to Rtings. That's because (like most of the better LCD TVs these days) it has a VA panel. The picture quality gets much worse as you move off to the side, a problem OLEDs don't have. Keep this in mind esp. for larger rooms/families.
misterjohnny wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:45 pm To follow up on others, not sure why you ruled out OLED. I have an LG OLED, and it is the best picture I have ever seen. Others who have Samsungs and Sonys compliment my TV. Until a new technology supercedes it, I would go with OLED.
1) Price
2) Potential for burn-in
3) Bad in bright rooms (this is where it will be)
adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:33 pm I have been happy with the Samsung QLED that I bought a few years ago.
Which one? Q6 through Q9?
rxtra8 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 pm I bought a 65" Samsung Q90A, delivered less than 2 weeks ago; direct from Samsung. After spending an absurd amount of time researching, I choose a QLED top of the line for my situation.

Take your time. If you want to go down more rabbit holes, check out AVForum, as well as Rtings for opinion/reviews for TVs and Soundbars....
Yeah, definitely don't want to spend the $$ for the Q90. But the folks on Reddit think that's the only way (of course it's not). I started down the rabbit hole a few days ago, and the Costco Super Bowl sales came out today, that's why I'm here!

I do have a 6 year old receiver, which doesn't do 4k passthrough, so i have to tell my wife that we also need a new audio setup. She is going to FLIP. I am considering a soundbar, but real audiophiles say they are garbage. I am not one of them, just want something that sounds good and pretends to give me Atmos. Alas, that's for another thread.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

The biggest impression you will get from a TV is the size. Then possibly the visibility/reflectivity in daylight, which is determined by the screen technology but also the viewing environment. Then what you would probably care about is the ports and connectivity -- how it integrates with your other electronics.
truenyer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:52 pm . I am considering a soundbar, but real audiophiles say they are garbage. I am not one of them, just want something that sounds good and pretends to give me Atmos.
And video is an equally interminable rabbit hole. The psychology of human perception is that it is amazingly adaptive. Whatever TV you view the most will evolve to be your reference. Unless it is dramatically and obviously bad, the differences to other TV will be unknown or imperceptible to you. People with $35,000 speakers will obsess over and justify upgrading to $40,000 speakers because of timbre differences in the 3rd order decay of a hi-hat. If you aren't aware of the existence of these people, and listened to a boombox your whole life and just bought $2,000 speakers...those will probably be the greatest thing to you.

Stick with the blue pill. Don't fall down the rabbit hole. :)
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

If you're not "really that into it", which it doesn't sound like you are - just go some midgrade stuff. I probably wouldn't scrape the absolute bottom of the barrel, but there are lots of good, big TVs out there. I have everything from slightly lower end LGs (which are just fine) all the way to the top end Samsung. Honestly, other than an 7 year old LG I inherited (that is truly crap), you really can't tell the difference unless you inspect it hard, and even on the old LG - most of the problem is its awful speakers.

For the audio, obviously a good receiver with distributed speakers is best. However, a soundbar is more than adequate for a lot of uses. The one thing I would say is a watchout is not to skimp on the soundbar. Today's TVs have decent speakers. You don't want to spend $150-$300 on some cheap soundbar and not be able to tell the difference. Make sure you have a good subwoofer, because that really fills the room and gives the experience "depth".
Dyloot

Post by Dyloot »

truenyer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:29 pm I haven't posted on BH about buying consumer goods, but I figure now's a good a time as any.

I'm thinking of upgrading my 10 year old 55" Samsung (while also convincing my wife it needs upgrading). It's our main TV in the house in a den/family room where we sit 13 ft away from the TV. Therefore, I am looking at 75-inchers.

I did some research on rtings.com and on Reddit, and boy was that a bad idea. The Reddit fanboys are really harsh, and are trying to make me think that buying anything other than a Samsung Q90 ($2700) is a waste of money. Certainly that can't be the case.

Have any of you BHers bought a new TV recently? I don't want OLED. I was thinking Samsung QLED (Q6 or Q7) but the rtings (and, well, Reddit) reviews are bad. Specifically for local dimming.

Then I saw the Sony X90. Which seems to be a perfect balance of functionality/specs and budget ($1700 for 75").

Any thoughts?
I believe I bought the Q7 line a few years back, and realized a short time later that the more expensive QLED models had superior anti-glare coating. If I could go back I would have spent the extra $$$ to get the Q8 or the Q9. I still enjoy the Q7 when I use it.

It's really impossible to recommend what you should do; we all have different relationships with money, and what price is acceptable and what is not. My family's main TV is an OLED, and it's beautiful. Never had any regrets for that purchase.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

truenyer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:52 pm Thanks everyone for the quick comments!
02nz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:57 pm Why not? At $2700 for a 77-inch OLED, it's a pretty modest jump in price for a huge jump in picture quality, esp. if you get 10 years out of it like with your current TV.

misterjohnny wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:45 pm To follow up on others, not sure why you ruled out OLED. I have an LG OLED, and it is the best picture I have ever seen. Others who have Samsungs and Sonys compliment my TV. Until a new technology supercedes it, I would go with OLED.
1) Price
2) Potential for burn-in
3) Bad in bright rooms (this is where it will be)
adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:33 pm I have been happy with the Samsung QLED that I bought a few years ago.
Which one? Q6 through Q9?
rxtra8 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 pm I bought a 65" Samsung Q90A, delivered less than 2 weeks ago; direct from Samsung. After spending an absurd amount of time researching, I choose a QLED top of the line for my situation.

Yeah, definitely don't want to spend the $$ for the Q90. But the folks on Reddit think that's the only way (of course it's not). I started down the rabbit hole a few days ago, and the Costco Super Bowl sales came out today, that's why I'm here!

I do have a 6 year old receiver, which doesn't do 4k passthrough, so i have to tell my wife that we also need a new audio setup. She is going to FLIP. I am considering a soundbar, but real audiophiles say they are garbage. I am not one of them, just want something that sounds good and pretends to give me Atmos. Alas, that's for another thread.
Most all new high end TV's (OLED or LED) will have audio pass through. I have an older Denon receiver that I use with my new Sony OLED (and LG OLED before that) and the solution is to connect all input devices to the TV through HDMI and run digital out (Coax or Optical) to your receiver. All audio formats should pass through as if the input devices were directly connected.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Which one? Q6 through Q9?

Sorry, I forget. I forget what I paid too.

To me, the biggest advance in perceived quality comes from HDR. This is acheived in QLED panels by local dimming, with better models having more dimming zones. In OLED panels each pixel is its own light source, so the "dimming" zones are pixel-sized. That is, perfect.

So in an effort to decide whether I can see the difference, I have looked specifically at the screen when it displays white letters on a black background. Since the dimming zones are finite in size, I should see a substantial halo effect around the letters. I don't really see it prominently. MAYBE if I had two TVs side by side I would see it.

So I'm happy, and would consider another QLED TV if I go to buy a bigger one, which might be in the near future. Given the evolution of the technology, a new TV would probably have even more dimming zones, getting even closer to the perceived contrast of OLED.

In general, I believe that the best performance/cost ratio is usually in the middle of the range. I think this is true for all sorts of manufactured products.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

This comes down to budget, and how picky you are about TV viewing. If I'm buying one for myself, I'm going to get the best. Probably the best QLED from Samsung if I was getting one today, now that I've heard their picture quality is close to OLED but way brighter. My current best TV is a Sony OLED. LG also makes a good OLED. That said, I don't believe my wife cares or can tell enough of a difference between our highest end Sony AH8 OLED and our much older Samsung LED. She'd be perfectly content with the cheap versions (only in TVs, nothing else...)

I don't think the average population can tell the difference in picture quality from a lot of these options. Most people don't have 4k sources either, and are streaming low end stuff that gets up-converted anyway. For instance, if I was buying a TV for my parents or my kids, I'd go with the best mid range name brand TV that was currently the most on sale. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They aren't even paying for 4k cable channels and have no streaming services.

Usually, the best time to buy a TV is during Super Bowl sales, which should be around now. Or Black Friday. Unfortunately, supply chain issues may be eliminating most of those good sales. I haven't looked recently. But it used to be that last year's model of TV was always at its best sale price around the Super Bowl.
Topic Author
truenyer

Post by truenyer »

adamthesmythe wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:53 am To me, the biggest advance in perceived quality comes from HDR. This is acheived in QLED panels by local dimming, with better models having more dimming zones.
Exactly why I steered myself away from the mid-range Samsung's (Q6 and Q7), because they don't have local dimming.

Costco has the 75" Q7 on sale for $1499 (super bowl). The Sony X90 75" isn't on sale coming up and regular price there is $1699. Based on what I'm reading, the $200 might be worth it just for the local dimming...
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I'll buy a new TV when the old one dies!
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Mortgage payed off 5/21. I have some 0% loans to pay off.
Bearcat78

Post by Bearcat78 »

Sony Bravia XR X90 is a good choice without blowing out the budget. Just saw for about $1699. Good in bright rooms and side viewing angles. Good luck and have fun making your decision!
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

We have found TCL Roku TV's to be a good combo of price and quality.
Late 30's | 56% US | 35% Intl | 9% Cash
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

This a few months old now, but excellent video discussing the best 2021 OLED / LED Tv's at each price point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BgJvGwDtdo
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

Okay well if you don't want an OLED (which imo is the way you should go, but working within your constraints), then I'd say just pick any random 75" LCD or LED.

They're all going to be similar; you're not going to notice the difference between any non-OLED TV imo.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

I wouldn't go with any random LED as suggested above, but if you review the video I posted, your choice of the Sony X90J is the best pick at that price point by a consensus of people where their only job is to review and calibrate TV's.