Turbotax tax year 2021

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ZIP2C

Turbotax tax year 2021

Post by ZIP2C »

With TurboTax no longer participating in the IRS Free File program for the 2021 tax year, what are your plans (if any) for a Tax Preparation Service?

We have used TT for several years (under the IRS Free File program) and found it to be excellent. We have a very simple tax return. It's shame to pay $39 fed and $39 state (never mind the discounts available).

The TT web site indicates “simple returns” are still available for free. I don't see that they accept forms for ACA for reconciliation and forms for HSA distributions. In the past I have used OLT.COM to check everything in TT. That always checked out fine. What are your thoughts?
nalor511

Re: Turbotax tax year 2021

Post by nalor511 »

ZIP2C wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:16 pm With TurboTax no longer participating in the IRS Free File program for the 2021 tax year, what are your plans (if any) for a Tax Preparation Service?

We have used TT for several years (under the IRS Free File program) and found it to be excellent. We have a very simple tax return. It's shame to pay $39 fed and $39 state (never mind the discounts available).

The TT web site indicates “simple returns” are still available for free. I don't see that they accept forms for ACA for reconciliation and forms for HSA distributions. In the past I have used OLT.COM to check everything in TT. That always checked out fine. What are your thoughts?
The IRS will have the 2021 offers posted in January (according to the site), right now there is nothing listed, so I don't think we know who will participate https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do ... s-for-free

BUT, I will say that if you do not need a state, freetaxusa is "free" which is a great deal. HRBlock deluxe was/is I think $5 without a state, and $15 with a state if you search around for the recent sale links. That's what I used the past 7 years, and no complaints. I prefer paying $15 over "free" because I can model alternate tax scenarios to my heart's content, and drill down and see how each form is affected, and OLD.com did not allow this when I tried it (I could see the forms, but not change them)
Topic Author
ZIP2C

Post by ZIP2C »

ZIP2C wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:16 pm With TurboTax no longer participating in the IRS Free File program for the 2021 tax year, what are your plans (if any) for a Tax Preparation Service?
“Free File Is Now Open” according to the IRS web site. You can now browse IRS Free File partners and choose the one best for you.

In our case it looks as if we have 4 choices. Only one with a free state file option. Coincidentally, it is the same one that we used to double check our Turbo Tax filings in the past.

Sad to see TT leave the Alliance, but with our simple return it's not justifiable to go with TT anymore.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Try going to your local library, many have volunteers able and willing to assist you.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:14 am Try going to your local library, many have volunteers able and willing to assist you.
More details here: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/
and here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-ta ... -taxpayers

Various locations. Some libraries, some community centers, etc. Even some low- or no-contact options nowadays.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

RudyS wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:52 am
tennisplyr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:14 am Try going to your local library, many have volunteers able and willing to assist you.
More details here: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/
and here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-ta ... -taxpayers

Various locations. Some libraries, some community centers, etc. Even some low- or no-contact options nowadays.
I'm a AARP Tax-Aide volunteer. The official position from AARP: "Tax-Aide sites are currently open for the 2022 tax season. This year, tax assistance is available by appointment only, so be sure to book an appointment by clicking the button below."

Our site will not be open until after the IRS begins accepting and processing returns, which starts on January 24th. Our only in-person interaction will be when the taxpayers drop off their documents, and when they pick the documents up along with their completed tax returns. All other communication with the taxpayers will be via phone.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I understand and appreciate this suggestion. But the OP seems comfortable filing on their own. I believe that most volunteer tax sites are overwhelmed. A loss of volunteers as well as the extra precautions needed to improve the safety of the volunteers who remain means that significantly less people can be helped. Therefore, I would encourage anyone who is capable of doing it on their own to do so either using the IRS free file or by going through the virtual option or self prep options with United Way or AARP.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Katietsu wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:18 pm
I understand and appreciate this suggestion. But the OP seems comfortable filing on their own. I believe that most volunteer tax sites are overwhelmed. A loss of volunteers as well as the extra precautions needed to improve the safety of the volunteers who remain means that significantly less people can be helped. Therefore, I would encourage anyone who is capable of doing it on their own to do so either using the IRS free file or by going through the virtual option or self prep options with United Way or AARP.
As a former TaxAide volunteer (15 years) I strongly support Katietsu's post. This, and VITA, are really intended to help folks who need help, for a variety of reasons. That said, I encountered very few people who I felt were taking advantage of the service, and I and my fellow volunteers really felt good about being able to help.