Is a 3 car garage really necessary?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cruise

Re: Is a 3 car garage really necessary?

Post by Cruise »

I thought that this was a joke thread, but reading the responses confirms that I’ve been living outside of modern America for too long. Talk of three and four car garages as expected for resale purposes just blows my mind. 😀
femmefire

Post by femmefire »

I didn't see this mentioned yet. We have two cars and not much we need to store in the garage. I would still do a three car garage because I love pulling into the middle of the double side when with the kids. We can all swing the doors wide open to our hearts content without fear of hitting another car or stuff.
livingalmostlarge

Post by livingalmostlarge »

absolutely I would build the 3 car garage. For $15k you won't get that deal again. And it's a big deal resale.

I do not have a 3 car garage but if you don't I would definitely also make it larger. I have a 2 car garage but it's an older home and it's tight. The minivan really doesn't fit in there.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

Cruise wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:53 pm I thought that this was a joke thread, but reading the responses confirms that I’ve been living outside of modern America for too long. Talk of three and four car garages as expected for resale purposes just blows my mind. 😀
I was interested to see responses, too. It sure says where people in this forum tend to live. I come originally from a neighborhood full of one-car garages and understand the lifestyle. I moved to a two- and now three-car garage neighborhood. A three-car is a well worthwhile investment -but not a necessary one.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
pfrank

Post by pfrank »

A three car garage is great....you may even be able to get a car or two in there. :D I did ever so slowly take over one bay as my workshop for "Man-Town" as my wife and kids call it.

In my garage, I have a steel I-beam as the main support. So there are no lally columns, just 4 walls and 3 wide open bays. Go for the 9 foot wide garage doors too.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Arthur Digby Sellers wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:24 pm
beernutz wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:55 pm The choice is between a 3 car garage or a 2 car garage and a storage unit imo.
Third option: getting rid of the stuff that you don’t need instead of paying to store it somewhere until you pass on and your heirs call 1-800-GOT-JUNK to haul it away.
Haha, so cranky :)

You would love the intricate crate and shelving systems in my house. We have somewhere around 75 tubs, 27 gallons each. I seal them with a little red sticker, and if that sticker is not broken after 1 year, the contents are disposed. My wife gets 3 golden stickers that are allowed to survive to infinity.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Is it necessary? no of course not. People lived for a long time without any garage or with only 1 bay. Ive never lived in a house with more than 2 in my life..

Having said that, would I *want* 3? Heck yea. For me, parking all vehicles in the garage is non-negotiable ever since a tree fell on ours years ago in a storm. Severe weather is getting more and more common where I live and at least a few times a summer we are under threat of storms that could bring downed trees or damaging hail, I want the cars indoors and protected. And Im never going back to shoveling them out of 3ft snowbanks like I used to have to do in my 20s.

SO thats 2 bays used up minimum for the cars, a third would be great to bring the riding lawnmower in and store bikes, snowblower, etc without having to rearrange something and pull the car out every time you needed to get to one.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

I grew up with a 2 car garage in suburbia, and DW and I bought same, in the 1990s. 3 car garage seemed extravagant, and we barely considered it.

But I really wish we had a 3 car garage.

Lots of folks are bringing up lots of uses for the extra garage space. Indeed, the versatility of a 3+ car garage is great - can be used for various purposes and interests, and those can change over the years.

Some considerations and uses pertinent to our case:

* We have relatively bad street parking. We're on a cul-de-sac, and so there aren't useable street spaces in front of our house. Yes we can, and sometimes do, park further down, in front of the neighbors (one spot is ~1/4 our house, 3/4 in front of neighbor's), but I dunno - it kinda feels like a neighborhood faux-pas, and we try to minimize doing that.

* Outside parking is of course subject to snow/ice, as others have said. And if you want to stack cars in your own driveway (2 in the garage, 1-2 on the drive), then you have to juggle cars sometimes to get the one you want.

* Trash & recycling cans have gotten MUCH more obnoxious in recent years, in ways that consume garage space. When we first moved in, we had 2-3 vinyl-ish trash cans - maybe 50 gallons. They flexed. Now, we have one jumbo recycling can, and one jumbo trash can. They way much more, unloaded (and, of course, loaded). They have big footprints, and don't flex. Hard to maneuver the cans in/out, or human bodies past the cans, with the cars parked up close to them. These alone eat up a substantial amount of space in the garage.

* I keep our lawnmower outside, because it doesn't fit in the garage. It junks up the backyard a bit visually, and consumes space there.

* When our kids were younger, bikes didn't have a natural home.

* We've had a minivan of one sort or another for ~21 years. Minivans are great, but they're BIG (as are large SUVs). Minivan + 2nd vehicle + jumbo trash cans = nearly fills small 2 car garage, and makes maneuvering through garage hard.

* Bought house as young couple with no kids. Didn't really expect to be here for 26+ years. But, here we are. With 3 kids
(all driving age). And 5 vehicles (our house is located in not-very-walkable neighborhood). Even if we stay here and eventually end up on just the 2 of us, plus 2 vehicles - even THEN, a 3 car garage would have uses. But with 5 vehicles and weak street parking options? It's not great.

* I'd *like* to have the toys that folks talk about, but have been gunshy about many of them, because of the lack of garage space. I like convertibles, and am on my 3rd at the moment. But the convertibles have had to be all-weather, because I can't easily store a practical vehicle, PLUS a toy convertible.

* In the future, I could see garage space being consumed by stuff related to electric cars and the like (chargers, batteries), or ramps/lifts, if needed as we age and have difficulty walking. And maybe there are other future use cases I'm not thinking about.

===

Of course, a 3 car garage isn't NECESSARY. But it's quite practical and versatile, although YOUR specific use cases are hard for the rest of us to guess at. But this thread has provided a variety of possible use cases for you to think about.
Last edited by psteinx on Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

psteinx wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:23 pm

* In the future, I could see garage space being consumed by stuff related to electric cars and the like (chargers, batteries), or ramps/lifts, if needed as we age. And maybe there are other future use cases I'm not thinking about.

===
I hope no one of advanced age is messing around with a 1000lb battery in their garage.
Now that I'm in my 40s I ditched all the ramps/lifts/jack stands and let a local shop handle the toxic used oils and related fluids. I couldn't see going back to DIY on any of that as I age even if I use to tinker with my engine and transmission all the time for SCCA and local open nights at the dragstrip.

Certainly, if you want a large area for woodworking or mechanical workshop, a 3rd bay is really nice. 1/2 of our current 2 car garage is my tinkering workshop. However, we only own one car since we were working from home for the last 7 years and are now both retired.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Slacker wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:40 pm
psteinx wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:23 pm

* In the future, I could see garage space being consumed by stuff related to electric cars and the like (chargers, batteries), or ramps/lifts, if needed as we age. And maybe there are other future use cases I'm not thinking about.

===
I hope no one of advanced age is messing around with a 1000lb battery in their garage.
Now that I'm in my 40s I ditched all the ramps/lifts/jack stands...
I meant ramps/lifts for personal mobility (walking problems, wheelchairs, etc.), not for cars. I've slightly clarified my OP in case others were also confused.

Bottom line, more garage space provides more flexibility and more options, for many stages of life, interests, and needs...
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Cruise wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:53 pm I thought that this was a joke thread, but reading the responses confirms that I’ve been living outside of modern America for too long. Talk of three and four car garages as expected for resale purposes just blows my mind. 😀
Same. I have never lived in a house with even a two-car garage. One car garage maximum. When I lived in an area with no snow, there was no garage. Just a carport.
rob

Post by rob »

I've just realized that I've been living a pauper's life.... wow....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
SpeyDragon

Post by SpeyDragon »

Yes, more room for STUFF!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

sawhorse wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:06 pm
Same. I have never lived in a house with even a two-car garage. One car garage maximum. When I lived in an area with no snow, there was no garage. Just a carport.
Never had a garage growing up, never had a garage as an adult until I bought my current home (which isn't a whole lot bigger than an average 3-car garage), and the majority of residences in my area do not have a garage or even carport. We are fortunate to have a 2-car garage, which we rarely even park our car (we have 1) in - it primarily houses our gym. Wife and I have no interest in more than the 1400sq. ft. of home we have for our family of 4, but a 3-car garage would be awesome. Most newer homes today have 2+ cars and a lot of stuff. Even if you won't use it, seems like a fairly cheap resell investment.
ram

Post by ram »

For houses <=4000sq feet I would recommend at least 1 car space per 1000 sq foot of living space in an area with walkability score <70.
I would also consider a 1.33 car garage/1000 sq feet perfectly acceptable and perhaps desirable for some in suburbs with very low walkability scores.

* added in response to subsequent comments
Last edited by ram on Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ram
London

Post by London »

ram wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 pm I would recommend at least 1 car space per 1000 sq foot of living space in an area with walkability score <70.
I would also consider a 1.33 car garage/1000 sq feet perfectly acceptable and perhaps desirable for some in suburbs with very low walkability scores.
I’m not sure that this is a mathematical thing. My house is 8k sq ft. Having a garage as large as you suggested would be absurd, even for this area.

Go with the 3 car, you won’t regret it.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I have seven. I think for resale it's a very well-spent $15k. But ultimately it's a minor decision.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Monk53

Post by Monk53 »

Yes, it is.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Has anyone mentioned security? The ability to keep vehicles hidden adds security in two ways. First it hides home and away hours, and second it secures vehicles. We have a two car and very much enjoy the security aspect. We also enjoy the other conveniences of course, like not having to sweep snow off cars in the morning, and having a warm and dry area for loading/unloading. A three car option would of course add to all of the above.
newcollegeman

Post by newcollegeman »

Be sure that the 3rd is extra tall & long for your future buyer’s RV or boat. Consider putting hook ups in it too: cheap, easy & very attractive to buyers today.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

If you live in a state that has cold winters you will want a 3-car garage... because you only get to park 2 cars in a 3- car garage... the rest has your trash cans and lawn mower, etc.

If you have a two-car garage, your wife will park inside and you will be scraping ice off your car every morning in the winter..

If you live in Florida or Arizona then a 2 car garage is fine
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Tamarack

Post by Tamarack »

What is typical for where you are building?

I live in a mid-century, suburban neighborhood in the upper midwest and no one has three (or more) car garages. Even when original houses have been torn down and replaced, people aren’t choosing to add third garages.

We have a 1.5 car garage and it works for us. We are able to always park in the garage, open doors comfortably on both sides, walk around the car, have a work bench, storage cabinets, a 2-stage snow blower, lawn mower, 3 bicycles, 2 kayaks, plus yard tools, ladders, lawn chairs and other stuff. Really, it fits all the stuff we think we need and then some and it discourages us from expanding our notions of “need”.

I don’t doubt the poster who said no one ever regretted having more garage space, but is it “necessary”? Well, apparently for a lot of folks it is, but not everyone.
liynus

Post by liynus »

I didn’t think so. But 5 years later the 3 car garage is one of my favorite features.
Bikes tools stuff. Especially with kids.
brennok

Post by brennok »

My parents loved their 3.5 garage. Originally they planned on 3, but then decided the fourth bay and door was worth adding for much the reasons mentioned here. They actually enclosed half of the bay against the house adding air-conditioned storage in the garage where they had cabinets and a stand up deep freeze. The outside space held all the bikes and yard tools.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

doss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:03 am
...we have the option to add a third garage to our new home. Currently, the house come standard with a 2 car garage that is about 22 x 21 feet. This is one of the many options we have to decide before they start building. Would be nice to get everything on our wish list, but we are unsure where to place this third car garage option on the list. The builder is charging 15k to add the third garage...

Is a three car garage one of the "must have" items for today's homeowner ?
No. It is not necessary. 22x21 garage isn't 2 car garage. It is 21/2 car garage. This is how some real estate agents describe garages in my area. It is large enough to fit a couple of vehicles and store lawn mower, snow blower, and other landscaping stuff.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

That was my main criterion for purchasing the whodidntante estate. Garage capacity shall be three if you want to sell to me!
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Tamarack wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:03 pm What is typical for where you are building?

I live in a mid-century, suburban neighborhood in the upper midwest and no one has three (or more) car garages. Even when original houses have been torn down and replaced, people aren’t choosing to add third garages.

We have a 1.5 car garage and it works for us. We are able to always park in the garage, open doors comfortably on both sides, walk around the car, have a work bench, storage cabinets, a 2-stage snow blower, lawn mower, 3 bicycles, 2 kayaks, plus yard tools, ladders, lawn chairs and other stuff. Really, it fits all the stuff we think we need and then some and it discourages us from expanding our notions of “need”.

I don’t doubt the poster who said no one ever regretted having more garage space, but is it “necessary”? Well, apparently for a lot of folks it is, but not everyone.
So you have one car?

You can't imagine a scenario where a "lot of folks" might have two cars?
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Modern America is great. You should come back to it.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:08 am
EFF_fan81 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am This is unnecessary hedonic adaptation.
Isn't all hedonic adaptation unnecessary by definition?
Two car garage is more than enough. Just park one car in the driveway and sell some of your unnecessary junk.
I agree (we have two cars and a 1-car garage).

But most folks who post this sort of question are really just looking for affirmation of a decision they have already made. They don't actually want to know if it's "necessary" since the answer to that question is obvious.
What state you live in Joe?

I lived in the Midwest and had to scrape ice off my car every winter morning before going to work until I was 40.

The day we bought a new house with a 3-car garage and I could get in a car in the winter that wasn't freezing and covered with ice was a pretty good day.

Now I live in Arizona and we're back to a 2-car garage, and my car is back in the driveway. No biggie.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I do agree it's not "necessary" though.

Most things we have are not "necessary".

Worth it though.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

squirm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:52 amAll the guys in my family, over the years, bought homes with oversized garage their wife's really didn't care either way.
Heh, that's because the wives always get to park their car in the garage.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 am
Boats day wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:56 am I never heard anyone say I wish my garage was smaller
:D
The garage that's too big has yet to be built.
At a certain size it simply ceases being a garage and becomes a pole barn. Same rules apply. :)
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

Yes, same. I live in the suburbs of major northeastern city and have lived in these types of areas my whole life. In very wealthy circles too I might add. Only a vanishingly small % of people have a three car garage and most of them live far out. I think given zoning only a tiny % of our housing stock has this feature even farther out. Like... 1% of houses?

I guess USA really is an exurban nation at this point when you look at a national snapshot.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

London wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:12 pm
ram wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 pm I would recommend at least 1 car space per 1000 sq foot of living space in an area with walkability score <70.
I’m not sure that this is a mathematical thing. My house is 8k sq ft. Having a garage as large as you suggested would be absurd, even for this area.

8000 square feet? What do you do with it all?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

tetractys wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:10 pm Has anyone mentioned security? The ability to keep vehicles hidden adds security in two ways. First it hides home and away hours, and second it secures vehicles. We have a two car and very much enjoy the security aspect. We also enjoy the other conveniences of course, like not having to sweep snow off cars in the morning, and having a warm and dry area for loading/unloading. A three car option would of course add to all of the above.
This is a good point. Close to me is what looks like an old barn behind an 1800's large colonial. Inside the old (looking) barn are a dozen Ferraris and Lamborghinis. There seem to be a number of these hidden storage systems in my town. I've seen from time to time, these cars out driving about. Old Shelby Cobra (yes, a real one), Miuras, old, pre 308 Ferraris. So certainly, making storage of high end cars deserves extra security. I'm sure there is some active system but drawing no attention is a good start.

Also, a friend of ours bought a sprawling ranch in central Connecticut, not far from Waterbury (high crime). The entire basement was set up without posts and with a single, hidden garage door to enter. I counted about 20 potential spaces where a car could fit. There was a small traditional 1 car garage visible from the street.

I know that some parts of the country don't or can't do a basement, which is certainly a limiting factor. That's where I'd tend to have a garage like mine that straight on looks like a traditional 2 car garage with 2 slightly oversized doors. Being 36 feet deep, it's quite easy to put 2 cars in each side nose to tail. And with my 4 post lift, currently one side has 3 cars (one above the other on the lift) and one on the other side with work bench and work area in front of it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:50 am I do agree it's not "necessary" though.

Most things we have are not "necessary".

Worth it though.
I've lived almost my entire life without a garage and I'm arguably the most minimalistic and frugal poster on this board; more garage is something I'd happily pay for.
ram

Post by ram »

London wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:12 pm

Point noted. Modification done. But at least one contributor above has > 3000-4000 sq feet of garage space. Also Jay Leno might not agree with your "absurd" designation.
Ram
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

EFF_fan81 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am Counterpoint - This is unnecessary hedonic adaptation. We have a garage that can barely fit one car that we use to store stuff. Many of our neighbors have no garage and use a shed.

This is in a neighborhood of million dollar homes (usually small but tastefully renovated) in a tony school district close to a big city. Many in our neighborhood (inc. us) send their kids to private (frequently religious) schools anyways so money isn't the issue.

Two car garage is more than enough. Just park one car in the driveway and sell some of your unnecessary junk.
THIS.

Plus the carbon footprint of heating and cooling large homes built to minimal building standards is insane.
segfault

Post by segfault »

Not necessary, but, my old house had a 2 car garage that was 24 x 24, and there was plenty of room to park two midsize cars, a metal Gladiator cabinet, shelves, a riding mower, etc... 22 x 21 is not going to leave you a lot of room to walk around, especially if you have larger vehicles.
Johny Fever

Post by Johny Fever »

I think a lot depends on your market...in our neck of the woods I cant imagine any home without a three stall garage. Personally I have a three stall and I have my truck, my DW SUV and our tractor for plowing the snow. In summer the garage is also her summer play car and tractor goes back to the pole barn. Living in the country and suburbans I am sure is a much different deal that the Brownstones and the city when it come garage time. Location deal I think.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

:P
flyfishers83 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:06 pm I would definitely do the 3 car garage and would also make it wider and deeper. I lived in houses with no garage for 10 years. Never want to do less than 3 ever again. In my 3 car garage, I have 3 vehicles, golf cart, freezer, a whole wall of cabinets, utility sink and a bunch of kid stuff. Hopefully moving the jeep out soon and moving in a boat. We also have a downstairs unfinished portion of the basement which has a garage door. That has a workshop area and storage.

I'm really envious of my parents' 4000 sq ft garage that's in addition to an oversized attached two car garage. it's got a basement and main finished area with bathroom. It's got storage, a place for the boat and side by side upstairs. Tractors downstairs. You can't have too much garage.
And I thought that we had a lot of storage space for cars, etc. We live in the middle of a small town, our lot size is 100 feet wide and 140 feet deep. And yet, we have a two story barn with room for two cars (one would have to move to get the other one out), 2 single car garages with no doors (where we keep our 2 cars), 2 single car garages with old manual tilt up doors, and an old ice house that now has a double garage door. We used to rent out the 2 garages with the doors, but now we only rent out the old ice house to a local contractor who stores supplies and tools in there. He has done some work for us on the barn complex in exchange for some rent.
Our work bench, push gas powered lawn mower, wheelbarrow, tools, etc,, and our patio and porch furniture in winter are all in the barn - along with my barn stereo.
One can never have enough storage!
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

Necessary? It is pretty high on Maslow's hierarchy, well above food, air, and the like.

Really useful, and easy worth 15k? Yes, at least for me. I would love to have enough space to store some stuff in addition to the two cars we own.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 pm My preference would be a three car garage that is extra deep with a second set of oversize doors on the back. This way bikes, lawn mower, snow blower, lawn & garden tools, etc. could be stored in front of the vehicles and accessed/driven out the back of the garage without having to move or skirt around the vehicles.

A friend extended their driveway (more narrowly) to wrap around to the back garage doors so the bikes etc. could be more easily ridden/driven out to the front of the house.
Then you'd appreciate our garage:

about 45 ft deep and just under 24 ft wide...front has a std double wide garage door and the side has a single wide garage door. There's a 40 amp breaker for a 240 V in it also
(this also allows for space for a deep freeze and a work bench in the area)

Only problem with it is that the front garage door isn't high enough for the big truck, which also might be a problem for some SUV's...the side garage door IS high enough but the truck is just too long, especially if the stinger is still on (it's a crew cab long bed), largely because the door is sufficiently recessed that the truck just is prevented from being within the garage.

So, OP, make sure that you get the higher garage threshold so that ALL future vehicles can get in... but as to your question...DEFINITELY get it, it's not a "need" but could differentiate from others and be recouped in resale
DidOurBest

Post by DidOurBest »

I grew up very poor by US standards, never had a garage.

I had a “tarp-top” carport in front of the first home I ever bought. I was ecstatic to have it.

I now have a 3 car garage and I’m NEVER going back.

It would take a beachfront condo/unit to peel me away from my 3 car garage. I put 5.5” baseboard, painted/nice floors and textured the walls. It’s nearly 1000 square feet and sometimes I just wander around in it and semi-gloat. I don’t own any lawn equipment or tractors or anything like that either.

I just have 1 small roller toolchest and 2 storage cabinets in it (plus a full sized sedan and a small hatchback; XL truck stays outside). I love the empty clean space and would only trade it for a 4 car garage.

$15k? I’d still say yes at double+ that.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

DidOurBest

I can appreciate...

Before we moved in, and the garage was empty, it was amazing to actually have an echo with the cavernous space

(yeah, the garage is larger than the early apartments I lived in)
GettingComfortable

Post by GettingComfortable »

tetractys wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:10 pm Has anyone mentioned security? The ability to keep vehicles hidden adds security in two ways....
And potentially reduces the auto insurance rate, for comprehensive. At least with my company -- the renewals always state such.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

sureshoe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:28 am
JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:58 am Anyone can spend whatever they like, as far as I'm concerned.
I do see a lot of "I really want to and plan to do this anyway, so everyone please confirm my existing plans" "question" posts.

It's almost as if posters feel guilty about it...

Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the economy. Seems like more of it recently.

Personally, I'd just go with the 3 car garage. But I wouldn't post it as an "is it necessary" question.
"Necessary" is a debatable word. A family of 5 can live in a 2 bedroom shack with a carport. It just becomes a matter of what you're willing to endure and pay for.

I think people are honestly just posting for feedback. Put yourself in the shoes of the OP. They're building this house and have this bigger ticket decision put in front of them that can't realistically be undone. I'm sure there are people in their ear saying "you must have a 3 car garage" or "don't waste your money", so they want to have some confidence they're doing the right thing.

I actually read the OP the otherway - they want to skimp on the 3 car, and are hoping for info that direction so they don't regret not spending the $15k. Depending on the area, I think that's probably a mistake for resale less than actual "need", and I think they would regret not doing it when it comes time to sell the house.
I understand.

Unfortunately, as you point out the term itself is debatable, and depends solely on the individual's goals, needs, and willingness.
That's why posts like this are an exercise in futility. Only the poster themselves can decide what they really need, want, and are willing to tolerate. Everything else is just projection.
I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:48 am
JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:08 am
EFF_fan81 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am This is unnecessary hedonic adaptation.
Isn't all hedonic adaptation unnecessary by definition?
I agree (we have two cars and a 1-car garage).

But most folks who post this sort of question are really just looking for affirmation of a decision they have already made. They don't actually want to know if it's "necessary" since the answer to that question is obvious.
What state you live in Joe?
I live in Maine.

We have two cars and a 1-car garage. I laugh at what some deem "necessary".

Everyone should purchase whatever they want that makes them happy, that they can afford and that fits within their long term goals. Stop trying to justify the expense by polling others until you get the answer you want. And stop using the term "necessary". Of course it's not "really necessary". But that's not really the point.
I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs.
Topic Author
doss

Post by doss »

Wife and I recently drove around and looked at the latest new construction homes going up in the area. We noticed that 2 out of every 3 homes was a three car garage. Often times it felt like there was only 1 out of 10 that was a 2 car garage. The visual difference is absolutely compelling -- the 3 car garage makes the home look vastly larger than the 2 car.
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

No necessary. We don't have a garage. But would I like a 3 car garage? Absolutely. His, hers, and a toy in the garage would be great especially in cold climates.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"