Nice Long Term Stay Hotel Manhattan?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Nice Long Term Stay Hotel Manhattan?

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Having work done on my apartment and also waiting to hear my employer’s policy on long term WFH. Have been staying with family but things are getting crowded of late.

Can anyone recommend a very nice hotel in Manhattan that does longish term stays like 1-4 mo? I can go up to $8k / mo for the right place. Something similar to NYEdition, Peninsula or The Mark? Or some other nice clean option? Thank you in advance. When I look what I see is everything is $700/night. Perhaps some hotels have deals for longer stays but I’ve never stayed at a hotel here before. I would think given lockdowns many of them have a lot of vacancies.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob60014

Re: Nice Long Term Stay Hotel Manhattan?

Post by bob60014 »

Why a hotel? Though I don't know the NYC requirements for them, perhaps Airbnb? Depending on dates I see places on Airbnb around Lincoln Square and Lenox Hill for $4k/mo or less.
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

bob60014 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:14 pm Why a hotel? Though I don't know the NYC requirements for them, perhaps Airbnb? Depending on dates I see places on Airbnb around Lincoln Square and Lenox Hill for $4k/mo or less.
Airbnb is good too. I’ll have another look!

I was slightly considering telling friends I’m looking if they know of anyone who is renting a room or apartment out, on the theory that it’s better for both sides if it’s someone you know. I’ve hesitated to do this because of the awkwardness. Is this sort of thing “done”? because I’d rather just stay at The Pierre or wherever in privacy and eat the cost than impose on friends or make myself look bad, especially to social/professional contacts.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 pm Perhaps some hotels have deals for longer stays but I’ve never stayed at a hotel here before. I would think given lockdowns many of them have a lot of vacancies.
From my vantage point, the lockdowns have been quite over since June, and the deals on hotels or apartments went away then too. Restaurants are full, bars are full, subways are full. This week with Omicron is less so, but I expect it to be busy again not long after Jan 1 if it turns out this variant is less harmful and we find vaccination is sufficient that lockdowns aren’t needed.

what are the amenities you need from your room?

I’ve stayed In some hotels for $100-200 per night, but they didn’t have a kitchen, big refrigerator etc, and only had a microwave in the lobby. Have you looked downtown like Chinatown, FiDi, or downtown Brooklyn? One example is hotel 50 Bowery, where you can rent for the whole of January for $6k
35% NTSX, 25% AVUV, 15% NTSI, 15% AVDV, 10% VWO
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Don't forget to look across the East River to Long Island City (Queens). My daughter lives in Queens and works on 54th & 6th in Manhattan. She takes the E, N, M, R & W. We've done the same staying in the Queensboro Bridge area. Food and lodging are a better deal than Manhattan, yet only a train away depending where you are going. Buses too.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

I spent a month in The London and loved it. (My employer at the time paid for it, so I can't say how much it was.)
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 pm Having work done on my apartment and also waiting to hear my employer’s policy on long term WFH. Have been staying with family but things are getting crowded of late.

Can anyone recommend a very nice hotel in Manhattan that does longish term stays like 1-4 mo? I can go up to $8k / mo for the right place. Something similar to NYEdition, Peninsula or The Mark? Or some other nice clean option? Thank you in advance. When I look what I see is everything is $700/night. Perhaps some hotels have deals for longer stays but I’ve never stayed at a hotel here before. I would think given lockdowns many of them have a lot of vacancies.
What lockdowns?

It's quite shocking that someone who lives in NYC would make such a statement.

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:17 pm
bob60014 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:14 pm Why a hotel? Though I don't know the NYC requirements for them, perhaps Airbnb? Depending on dates I see places on Airbnb around Lincoln Square and Lenox Hill for $4k/mo or less.

I was slightly considering telling friends I’m looking if they know of anyone who is renting a room or apartment out, on the theory that it’s better for both sides if it’s someone you know. I’ve hesitated to do this because of the awkwardness. Is this sort of thing “done”? because I’d rather just stay at The Pierre or wherever in privacy and eat the cost than impose on friends or make myself look bad, especially to social/professional contacts.
Wait a second, you think there are lockdowns (presumably due to Covid?), yet you think creating a new "bubble" with people you may not know by living in one of their bedrooms is an option?
Last edited by pizzy on Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Late 30's | 56% US | 35% Intl | 9% Cash
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

pizzy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:40 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 pm Having work done on my apartment and also waiting to hear my employer’s policy on long term WFH. Have been staying with family but things are getting crowded of late.

What lockdowns?

New rules came into effect Monday about private sector employees, etc. Radio city and other venues closed again.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:42 pm

What lockdowns?

New rules came into effect Monday about private sector employees, etc. Radio city and other venues closed again.
Since you live there, you should do some research on our rules. There are no lockdowns.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

You need to leave Manhattan to find decent prices. I'd recommend Queens, Brooklyn, or New Jersey.
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

What lockdowns?

Wait a second, you think there are lockdowns (presumably due to Covid?), yet you think creating a new "bubble" with people you may not know by living in one of their bedrooms is an option?
Lots of folks have more than one home and aren’t using their city place. Or are empty nesters or otherwise want to rent a room but not to someone who is an unknown quantity. But yes, it’s awkward so that’s why a hotel option was my first choice.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:45 pm

What lockdowns?

Lots of folks have more than one home and aren’t using their city place. Or are empty nesters or otherwise want to rent a room but not to someone who is an unknown quantity. But yes, it’s awkward so that’s why a hotel option was my first choice.
Airbnb or finding a short term apartment rental will be your only option < $8k/month (~$275/night) if the only class of hotel you'll stay at are of the ones mentioned.
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I’m flexible on the hotel brand. The ones that leapt to mind were the ones mentioned but anything decent/clean will do.
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

What lockdowns?

New rules came into effect Monday about private sector employees, etc. Radio city and other venues (NYCB, numerous Broadway shows) closed again. NYE celebrations scaled back, mask requirements back on, new vaccine proof requirements, new mandates for the private sector. Ok maybe not a lockdown but new restrictions and closures.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

muffins14 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:30 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 pm Perhaps some hotels have deals for longer stays but I’ve never stayed at a hotel here before. I would think given lockdowns many of them have a lot of vacancies.
From my vantage point, the lockdowns have been quite over since June, and the deals on hotels or apartments went away then too. Restaurants are full, bars are full, subways are full. This week with Omicron is less so, but I expect it to be busy again not long after Jan 1 if it turns out this variant is less harmful and we find vaccination is sufficient that lockdowns aren’t needed.

I’ve stayed In some hotels for $100-200 per night, but they didn’t have a kitchen, big refrigerator etc, and only had a microwave in the lobby. Have you looked downtown like Chinatown, FiDi, or downtown Brooklyn? One example is hotel 50 Bowery, where you can rent for the whole of January for $6k
Although NY is not legally in an official lockdown mode, I can personally testify that the hotels feel that way right now. Both tourists and business travelers appear to be avoiding NYC and other places on the East Coast, as far as I can tell.

Earlier this month, I stayed in a couple of very nice Manhattan hotels near Penn Station (Crowne Plaza on W 36 and Marriott Renaissance on W 35th) and found the prices incredibly low for mid-December in Manhattan. ($168 at Crowne Plaza and $220 at Marriott Renaissance.) Both hotels were quite deserted--halls and elevators were spookily empty compared to my usual visits. They did not have full kitchens, but they did have minifridges. If I had wanted a full kitchen, there were plenty of similarly low-priced rooms at Marriott Residence Inn a few blocks away.

I also stayed in a Residence Inn in the DC area this past month. It too was unusually deserted and I got a great rate there ($144 per night for a suite with a separate bedroom and separate living room area with a fully equipped kitchen, including dishwasher, full-sized fridge, microwave, two burner cooktop, and dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, etc.)
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:50 pm I’m flexible on the hotel brand. The ones that leapt to mind were the ones mentioned but anything decent/clean will do.
Any Homewood Suites or Residence Inn would probably be within budget. And are more logical for long term stays.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:59 pm
muffins14 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Although NY is not legally in an official lockdown mode, I can personally testify that the hotels feel that way right now. Both tourists and business travelers appear to be avoiding NYC and other places on the East Coast, as far as I can tell.

Earlier this month, I stayed in a couple of very nice Manhattan hotels near Penn Station (Crowne Plaza on W 36 and Marriott Renaissance on W 35th) and found the prices incredibly low for mid-December in Manhattan. ($168 at Crowne Plaza and $220 at Marriott Renaissance.) Both hotels were quite deserted--halls and elevators were spookily empty compared to my usual visits. They did not have full kitchens, but they did have minifridges. If I had wanted a full kitchen, there were plenty of similarly low-priced rooms at Marriott Residence Inn a few blocks away.

I also stayed in a Residence Inn in the DC area this past month. It too was unusually deserted and I got a great rate there ($144 per night for a suite with a separate bedroom and separate living room area with a fully equipped kitchen, including dishwasher, full-sized fridge, microwave, two burner cooktop, and dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, etc.)
We did a staycation at the Conrad Midtown NYC this week. Every restaurant was jam packed, hotel was crowded. Reservations at nice restaurants were hard to come by. Stores had lines, etc. Central Park was busy.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Several Marriott Residence Inns are showing prices of $166/ night (W 48th location), $173/night (Avenue of the Americas location), and $180/night (Broadway/Central Park location) when I enter a one month stay from Dec 29 through Jan 29 on the Marriott Residence Inn website.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

pizzy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:01 pm We did a staycation at the Conrad Midtown NYC this week. Every restaurant was jam packed, hotel was crowded. Reservations at nice restaurants were hard to come by. Stores had lines, etc. Central Park was busy.
I am not familiar with the Conrad Midtown. My preference is to stay very near Penn Station as I travel via Amtrak. The hotels near there were offering unusually great deals.

Stores near Rockefeller Center did look very busy when I was there earlier this month (though I did not go indoors in any stores) but I saw a huge line outside FAO Schwartz. Sidewalks were crowded but less than usual for December in the city. Central Park had people in it (lots riding horse-drawn carriages) but again less than usual.

Out of desire to avoid microbes, I did not go inside any restaurants so I could not tell you about restaurants (other than the restaurant at Marriott Renaissance, which was deserted and forlorn when I walked by, though it was open.) Restaurant at the Crown Plaza was not deserted, but maybe half full.

I ordered room service for a couple of meals (especially good at the Marriott Renaissance) and also bought healthy staples (fruit, veggies, yogurt) at the nearby Whole Foods, which I stored in my hotel minifridge.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

quietseas

Post by quietseas »

I have stayed at the NY Edition on Madison Square in the old Met Life building. I enjoyed it greatly, especially since I had an upgraded room with a high floor view looking out onto Madison Square and Eataly plus I'd guess within easy walking distance of at least 500 restaurants and most subway lines. However, it's not where I would want to stay for several months. It is not set up at all for what I would expect for a long term stay.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Stay in an Airbnb.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

What lockdowns?

Fortunately, the actual rules are that you need to be vaccinated, not that you can’t leave your home or that businesses must close. Again, let’s evaluate how things look after Jan 1 with more omicron severity news. I do not think you will see forced closures, perhaps a few more staff shortages before this wave wanes though
MJS

Post by MJS »

Try running your dates through http://kayak.com for stays in _new york city center_ then sort by [Hotel class, highest first]. You may find some deals. Try varying the date by starting & ending on a Sunday. Note that paying for the right to cancel your reservation might, sadly, save money over taking the most inexpensive rate.
rob

Post by rob »

If you don't do airb&b... look at Residence Inn... There are a few in various places in the city and a number across the river... I like their setup as it's basically a hotel suite with kitchen - albe basic rather than flash.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
celia

Post by celia »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 pm Can anyone recommend a very nice hotel in Manhattan that does longish term stays like 1-4 mo? I can go up to $8k / mo for the right place.
If you have trouble finding a place that lets you stay more than 30 days, that's probably because many cities have ordinances that hotels, motels, and AirBnbs are not supposed to be used for long-term housing. (I don't know if any rules have been relaxed during covid.) So, you might have to move every 30 days, even to another room in the same hotel so the reservations look like you are different visitors.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:50 pm I’m flexible on the hotel brand. The ones that leapt to mind were the ones mentioned but anything decent/clean will do.
I'm a bit confused about what type of accommodations you want.

You seemed to be concerned about costs (up to $8k per month ? ) and "anything decent/clean".
But you mention hotels like the Peninsula and the Pierre, which are definitely in the very high end/luxury category.

$8k per month would be approximately $270 per night, and that's not going to get anything close to the Pierre, Peninsula, or similar hotels. And what about meals if you have "just a hotel room", even if at a luxury hotel? "Rooms" at hotels like that won't have kitchens.

Could you clarify what your preferences are, such as price vs luxury?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Watty

Post by Watty »

When you find a place that your are interested in I would highly suggest that you call or email them to ask about what sort of rate they can give you. Hotel managers sometimes have some discretion about the rates and they may be able to beat the price you see on the internet especially if you are not having the room serviced everyday.

celia wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:11 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 pm Can anyone recommend a very nice hotel in Manhattan that does longish term stays like 1-4 mo? I can go up to $8k / mo for the right place.
If you have trouble finding a place that lets you stay more than 30 days, that's probably because many cities have ordinances that hotels, motels, and AirBnbs are not supposed to be used for long-term housing. (I don't know if any rules have been relaxed during covid.) So, you might have to move every 30 days, even to another room in the same hotel so the reservations look like you are different visitors.
This is interesting. It was on the other side of the country and I have run into sort of the opposite situation where I saved substantially in a VRBO stay of over 30 days since I did not have to pay the hotel taxes.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

If you’re considering more than a month, have you considered subletting an apartment? I imagine you could find something much cheaper than hotel/Airbnb that way
canderson

Post by canderson »

AirBNBs are not legal within Manhattan.

NYC hotel prices are higher now on average than pre Covid. Our usual hotel is $230/night more for the off-weekend date in late January. Weekends are cheaper than weekdays and that’s one if the cheapest tines in the city, fwiw.

You’ll want to look into Homeowood or Residence Inn. The Mark is one of the most expensive hotels in NYC, they’re not cutting cutrate deals. They don’t need to - not does the Peninsula (our main hotel in the city).
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

muffins14 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:07 am If you’re considering more than a month, have you considered subletting an apartment? I imagine you could find something much cheaper than hotel/Airbnb that way
Yes that would probably make more sense and be more comfortable.
TorpedoBook

Post by TorpedoBook »

I stayed at https://www.stayaka.com/aka-sutton-place on the UES a few years back when I took a new job and was relocating. Long term stays only. It was very nice, a little bit of a walk to the subway.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

TorpedoBook wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:07 am I stayed at https://www.stayaka.com/aka-sutton-place on the UES a few years back when I took a new job and was relocating. Long term stays only. It was very nice, a little bit of a walk to the subway.
At $350/night, that puts her more than 2k over her 8k monthly budget, and over 4k after taxes and fees.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

veggivet wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:18 am
TorpedoBook wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:07 am I stayed at https://www.stayaka.com/aka-sutton-place on the UES a few years back when I took a new job and was relocating. Long term stays only. It was very nice, a little bit of a walk to the subway.
At $350/night, that puts her more than 2k over her 8k monthly budget, and over 4k after taxes and fees.
The Central Park location could work, though it would be a "studio" - with a small fridge and microwave (I think I read). Maybe Times Square location too, though I didn't check those prices.
Mullins

Post by Mullins »

A little boutique hotel on East 54th: https://www.elyseehotel.com/
TorpedoBook

Post by TorpedoBook »

veggivet wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:18 am
One bedroom is around 200/night
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Thank you everyone, greatly appreciate it! These are some excellent options! Happy new year, all!
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

muffins14 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:35 pm

What lockdowns?

Fortunately, the actual rules are that you need to be vaccinated, not that you can’t leave your home or that businesses must close. Again, let’s evaluate how things look after Jan 1 with more omicron severity news. I do not think you will see forced closures, perhaps a few more staff shortages before this wave wanes though
Forced closures, no, but I agree with this current Atlantic Monthly article which asserts that NY is effectively in a "soft lockdown," and this is likely to keep many hotel rooms vacant and competitively priced.
canderson

Post by canderson »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:45 pm
muffins14 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:35 pm

What lockdowns?

Forced closures, no, but I agree with this current Atlantic Monthly article which asserts that NY is effectively in a "soft lockdown," and this is likely to keep many hotel rooms vacant and competitively priced.
But it’s not true - NY hotels are charging now more than ever before. There aren’t enough rooms to meet demand - it’s always been an issue but with some hotels closed down it’s exasperated.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

I would look for corporate housing— I know Oakwood is one company that offers short term furnished apts but I am sure there are others in NYC.
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Iorek wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:44 pm I would look for corporate housing— I know Oakwood is one company that offers short term furnished apts but I am sure there are others in NYC.
These look terrific, esp the Renwick, thanks!
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

These look awesome! Thanks so much!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I have a family member in the hotel business (not in NYC, but similar), who says that tourist business is back to 2019 levels, but hotels that cater to business travelers are still mostly empty, because business travel is still not a thing. You might check the business class hotels. (And no, I don’t know enough about NYC to know which ones those are.)
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 pm I have a family member in the hotel business (not in NYC, but similar), who says that tourist business is back to 2019 levels, but hotels that cater to business travelers are still mostly empty, because business travel is still not a thing. You might check the business class hotels. (And no, I don’t know enough about NYC to know which ones those are.)
Midtown New York I would think the hotels are both. Business Sunday night to Thursday night. Tourist Friday and Saturday night. Even the more boutique hotels (people who travel a lot on business may not want the Marriott standard hotel again etc).