Home security video camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vk22

Home security video camera

Post by vk22 »

Hi all, Have you used blink for extrenal and internal cameras? Or use Ring for doorbell. Thinking of doing all this for home. Any advice appreciated. I have a home alarm system monitored by a company. Just want to add some cameras to monitor myself and get some alerts. Trying to decide the best system.
AussieDad

Re: Home security video camera

Post by AussieDad »

If you’re looking for a new hobby (probably not), check out blue iris. Lots of options using onvif cameras, no monthly fees and very flexible. I’m using an Amcrest AD410 for my doorbell camera and mostly LaView cameras mounted to my eaves.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Arlo 5 camera system, exterior of home, etc.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06 ... =UTF8&th=1

Access through your cell phone, etc. Motion detect and record.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

Did you see this discussion, 76 posts on the same topic.

viewtopic.php?t=332221

Happy Thanksgiving
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

vk22 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:57 am Hi all, Have you used blink for extrenal and internal cameras? Or use Ring for doorbell. Thinking of doing all this for home. Any advice appreciated. I have a home alarm system monitored by a company. Just want to add some cameras to monitor myself and get some alerts. Trying to decide the best system.
I did some extensive research including threads in here on bogleheads and initially settled on google cameras but later on changed my mind and went with ring cameras instead. The main reason I like ring is amazon's commitment to their ecosystem and the variety of devices that you link your cameras to. For example I connected my ring cameras to Echo Dot which announces on loud speaker every time a motion is detected with specific location of the motion. For example, if someone is detected by side door, it will literally announce the location. I found it to be more helpful than just a random ring or alarm going off. This in itself can be a deterrent as the speaker is quite loud and the person outside of the house can hear it too. You can also set routines so if motion is detected outside of your front door, specific lights get turned on. Another cool thing with ring is that you can connect cameras and your home alarm together, again I think this is pretty unique to ring. Obviously most alarm systems offer camera monitoring but you will miss other home integration features. My biggest issue with ring is their iphone app, not the best, but works okay for what it does.
student

Post by student »

I use wyze and their home monitoring system.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We have Arlo, no monthly costs.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

I would suggest the Wyze v.3 camera for $35, plus the Cam Plus subscription for $15/yr. Try it out, and if you like it you can buy more. If you don't like it, you are only out $50 total. I have had this for a year looking out at my driveway and it works okay.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

gtd98765 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:41 am I would suggest the Wyze v.3 camera for $35, plus the Cam Plus subscription for $15/yr. Try it out, and if you like it you can buy more. If you don't like it, you are only out $50 total. I have had this for a year looking out at my driveway and it works okay.
Can you see what is going on real-time or only the taped loop?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
LISD

Post by LISD »

I installed a Lorex system (bought at Costco) a few months ago. Initially I tried a wireless system but I found wireless frustrating and unreliable. A wired system takes a lot of time to install, but it just sits there and works. And there are no additional costs after the initial purchase. The notifications are nearly instant. I'm happy with it.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

jebmke wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:46 am
gtd98765 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:41 am I would suggest the Wyze v.3 camera for $35, plus the Cam Plus subscription for $15/yr. Try it out, and if you like it you can buy more. If you don't like it, you are only out $50 total. I have had this for a year looking out at my driveway and it works okay.
Can you see what is going on real-time or only the taped loop?
Real time on your cell phone. You can put in an SD card in the camera and have a record of everything that happens that you can look at later if you want; when the SD card is full it deletes the oldest videos to record the newest. The Cam Plus subscription provides cloud storage and better alerting.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

AussieDad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:13 am If you’re looking for a new hobby (probably not), check out blue iris. Lots of options using onvif cameras, no monthly fees and very flexible. I’m using an Amcrest AD410 for my doorbell camera and mostly LaView cameras mounted to my eaves.
I also am using the LaView, cameras and base station. Does Blue Iris run on the Base station or on my computer?

WoodSpinner
AussieDad

Post by AussieDad »

WoodSpinner wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm
AussieDad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:13 am If you’re looking for a new hobby (probably not), check out blue iris. Lots of options using onvif cameras, no monthly fees and very flexible. I’m using an Amcrest AD410 for my doorbell camera and mostly LaView cameras mounted to my eaves.
I also am using the LaView, cameras and base station. Does Blue Iris run on the Base station or on my computer?

WoodSpinner
Blue Iris runs on a PC. Are your cameras POE (power over Ethernet)? If so, they should be compatible. If they are wired with bnc I don’t think they will work with blue iris. I’m currently running 10 cameras with blue iris and could probably use a couple more to get good coverage of my house / lot.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

I have both Blink and Ring cameras, total of 6. Blink sucks (constant disconnects, etc) while Ring cameras are very good in addition to being inexpensive. Wish Ring offered 4K cameras, but even current 1K elite kind is quite nice. Also, do not get battery powered ones if your winters have snow. Batteries do not function well in freezing temperatures (I have one and take it inside for the winter).

Now Ring starts offering unusual kinds of cameras, eg flying ones. And they added module that allows camera to move being controlled from Ring app.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

You don't want to skimp on cameras. I got ring, very happy with it, the iPhone App could be better but it is constantly updated and amazon is very involved in its ring security system. For outdoor I use the more expensive HD cameras, they have wider angle with less distortion than the cheaper versions.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

AussieDad wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:38 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm

WoodSpinner
Blue Iris runs on a PC. Are your cameras POE (power over Ethernet)? If so, they should be compatible. If they are wired with bnc I don’t think they will work with blue iris. I’m currently running 10 cameras with blue iris and could probably use a couple more to get good coverage of my house / lot.
Yes, they are LaView PoE Cameras
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

LISD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:55 am I installed a Lorex system (bought at Costco) a few months ago. Initially I tried a wireless system but I found wireless frustrating and unreliable. A wired system takes a lot of time to install, but it just sits there and works. And there are no additional costs after the initial purchase. The notifications are nearly instant. I'm happy with it.
I bought a Lorex system 3 years ago. Agree with wired being vastly superior to wireless, due to the amount of recording available (4k continuous recording for a dozen cameras is probably not possible on wireless due to bandwidth issues).

I'm kinda happy with Lorex but I believe that the company was bought out a couple years ago and a little concerned about long term support.

Fortunately, there is no recurring fee and I can access the camera recordings as it's all stored locally.

Unfortunately, if the company goes bankrupt, the phone software will not get updated. I believe the cameras themselves are IP, so potentially they can work with opensource software...
illumination

Post by illumination »

I have had Arlo and Eufy wireless cameras. I prefer Eufy. They have a long battery life (like 6 months), excellent picture quality. You can essentially add unlimited cameras and there's no subscription cost. Very easy set up. Not perfect though, I had to replace one, but their customer service was good.

My issue with Arlo is they clearly want you to pay for their subscription cloud model and will hassle you until you do. Like pop up ads for their subscription service when you try and check you cameras (I'm not kidding). Also, just seems to have a lot of cloud connection issues in general. You're limited to 5 cameras on a "free" account. Battery life is much worse than the Eufy.