Recliner chair for my Dad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jim779

Recliner chair for my Dad

Post by jim779 »

My Dad is 80ish and has an old recliner chair that is pretty much junk and he says it hurts his lower back.

I want to help him get something nice that he will be comfortable in.

He wants leather or faux leather and nothing power.

He is an average height guy and he is maybe 170 pounds.

Just looking for suggestions for a good chair for him.

Thanks

Jim
mhalley

Re: Recliner chair for my Dad

Post by mhalley »

I’d suggest getting a month of consumer reports for 10 bucks or going to the library for their recommendations. No recent experience, had a la z boy back in the day. Hard to trust online reviews, but here’s one.
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-r ... back-pain/
squirm

Post by squirm »

Take him to a quality furniture retailer, have him try out different brands and see what he likes best. Then treat him to lunch.
Topic Author
jim779

Post by jim779 »

mhalley wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:35 am I’d suggest getting a month of consumer reports for 10 bucks or going to the library for their recommendations. No recent experience, had a la z boy back in the day. Hard to trust online reviews, but here’s one.
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-r ... back-pain/
Thanks mhailey and squirm

We have consumer reports and either they do not review recliners or I can't find them? We have at least 3 years of back issues.
Chris56789

Post by Chris56789 »

Good luck with your choice. You mentioned no power. A relative of mine had the same preference. She tried several non-motorized recliners at the store and chose one she liked. Then the recliner arrived and she struggled to get it to recline, even after we reduced the reclining tension as much as possible. What solved the problem was the Stander Recliner Lever Extender: https://stander.com/product/3000-lever-extender/
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I recommend LaZ-Boy recliners. You can try them out in a brick and mortar store.
I have a LaZ-Boy recliner I bought in southern CA. I also bought a sofa for my daughter in South Carolina in 2017.

https://www.la-z-boy.com/b/recliners/_/N-musa9i
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Forget Consumer Reports.

take your father to furniture stores and let him try a variety of chairs and let him decide what is the most comfortable. I really like La-Z-Boy however, several family members do not like it.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

faux leather = a big NO
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Let me recommend Stressless. Not cheap, but very comfortable and stylish. My wife and I live ours.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Depends on your price point. For $ Lazboys are fine, for $$$ you can get a Flexsteel, $$$$ gets you a Stressless if you are into the modern look.

I'm going with a Flexsteel when we get settled down.
Regards | Bob
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

squirm wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:55 am Take him to a quality furniture retailer, have him try out different brands and see what he likes best. Then treat him to lunch.
Great suggestion!

Furniture (and in particular a comfortable recliner) is a very individual choice. When I bought my favorite red leather recliner, I tried dozens, and settled on a model I really liked, but using the custom leather I saw on another chair. It's by far the best chair I have ever owned - but nobody could possibly have picked it out for me.

A nice lunch is always good too.
I love a good nap. Sometimes it’s the only thing getting me out of bed in the morning.
kelway

Post by kelway »

Pacific wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:11 am faux leather = a big NO
Indeed - I have flakes of it falling from my hair as I type.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Depending on how long you expect your Dad to use the chair, I would consider an electric lift chair. We needed to get a lift chair for my Dad when he was in this late 80s, and he was in fairly good physical condition for his age.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I strongly support those who recommend taking your father to a store to try them out. Recently I realized that the recliners I had were too large for me. I was sinking into them and finding I lacked the motivation to get out of them. My back was sore from sitting too long. So I got rid of the two large ones and went to a Lazy-Boy store. The sales assistant was patient and knowledgeable in letting me try out a large variety of chairs till I found two that suited me. Incidentally as they are custom-made, I will not get them until the end of February. It is worth to take the time to find something that suits your father.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

My father used an electric lift recliner for several weeks while he recovered from hip surgery at age 94. After he considered himself to be recovered, he said, "Get that thing out of here!" He viewed electric lift as medical equipment, not as furniture.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

We've also always taken family members to the store to pick out a recliner. Especially if they are planning to sit in it a lot. I have no idea what others really like and I suspect they don't know either until they try a few.

Edit: if looking for best price, you can always figure out what they like in person and compare with online prices. Then decide where to get it from .
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

In May La-Z-Boy was stating delivery times of 5 to 9 months. Maybe they've caught up, but ask before paying unless you can get something off the showroom floor.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

oxothuk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:59 am Let me recommend Stressless. Not cheap, but very comfortable and stylish. My wife and I live ours.
+1, we have 3 in the house, the oldest were purchased 20+ years ago, they've held up great, and they fit the OP's description of needs perfectly.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I have a la-z-boy I bought maybe ten years ago. It is corduroy covered. It is very comfortable. I can push the lever to change the inclination, but it does take some effort. I'm a 78 year old female.

I have on my list to replace it with another la-z-boy, however, as the corduroy has worn on the foot rest and the recliner is slightly out of whack, probably because I sit sideways in it due to cat, etc. Ten years probably does not seem long for a replacement, but I spend hours in it daily.

I have read recent reviews that say they have become shoddy, so I will look at them in the store first. It did take some time to get this one as the corduroy was a custom cover.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Take Dad to La Z Boy to try out a wide selection of chairs.

We’ve bought a lot of furniture there, and never been disappointed.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
jim779

Post by jim779 »

Thanks for all the great replies everyone!

If anyone who has owned both a La Z Boy and a Stressless recliner just wondering if you liked one better than the other?
tiger74

Post by tiger74 »

Forget Laz-Z-Boy, they cannot deliver on orders! We've had sofas and coffee tables on order for 8 MONTHS and they still cannot give us an estimated ship date. We were told 4-6 months when we ordered back in March. They take half $$ for the order and then you wait indefinitely.

We have StressLess recliners and do love them, and they were delivered, from Sweden, on time in the midst of COVID in 2020.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

:?:
tiger74 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 am Forget Laz-Z-Boy, they cannot deliver on orders! We've had sofas and coffee tables on order for 8 MONTHS and they still cannot give us an estimated ship date. We were told 4-6 months when we ordered back in March. They take half $$ for the order and then you wait indefinitely.

We have StressLess recliners and do love them, and they were delivered, from Sweden, on time in the midst of COVID in 2020.
+100 From a good furniture option 20 years ago to a crappy, uncaring & expensive furniture retailer living on their laurels. Much better options available today!
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

A big issue for me is getting up from them. If it is a rocker/swivel, with my bad hip, it's almost impossible to get up from. I need one that stays level.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We are looking for a couple of recliners. We walked into an Ashley furniture and actually were quite surprised. A lot of styles to chose from and a wide spectrum of price ranges.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

squirm wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:55 am Take him to a quality furniture retailer, have him try out different brands and see what he likes best. Then treat him to lunch.
Second this. They all fit so differently and have varying features.

I just bought a leather recliner after agonizing over it and am still not happy with my choice. Leather is cold!

But hopefully I won't spend too much time in it. :wink:
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I second Lay-Z-Boy for all the reasons given above. Here are a couple of things that may not have been mentioned above:
  1. Easily moved as lifting off the back reduces it to two manageable pieces.
  2. At least the model we had was very stain resistant and easily cleaned.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

He has to try them out himself.

We have a Bradington Young leather chair. They're made in NC with Leggett and Platt reclining mechanisms. Good quality leather.

Ekornes Stressless are very comfortable.

One of the most comfortable recliners I've ever sat in was made by Lafer, a Brazilian company.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I would take him to the La-Z-Boy store and have him try them out.

One thing to note is that if he can pick something that's in stock, that would be better. A lot of this stuff is backordered for almost a year.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
MilleniumBuc

Post by MilleniumBuc »

tiger74 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 am Forget Laz-Z-Boy, they cannot deliver on orders! We've had sofas and coffee tables on order for 8 MONTHS and they still cannot give us an estimated ship date. We were told 4-6 months when we ordered back in March. They take half $$ for the order and then you wait indefinitely.

Hello fellow early this year La-Z-Boy purchaser. Purchased two custom leather love seats and matching custom leather recliner in February with the same 4-6 month promise and just got my recliner this week. Still have my salesman sounding iffy on the love seats were he thinks will be mid December, but I’m not sure he knows.

In any case, for the OP, I’m really enjoying this Douglas recliner which is for taller heavier people, but like some said, they have many comfortable recliners for all heights and sizes. I know this is only a week, but I do really enjoy the good support compared to the old recliner I had. At least this model, I wouldn’t call shoddy, and it has a adjustable lumbar support and tilted head support. I do have the power on it and it’s strong. Already dented the wall behind it.

As for the stressless chairs, I have a hand me down from FIL and it’s comfortable, but for a 6’ + and near 300, I don’t find it too comfortable but my FIL who’s 65+ and 190 lb plus enjoyed it so much that he bought another one (needed new color for new house). That one has no handles and a separate ottoman and it’s easier to push back for older people.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

bertilak wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:06 pm I second Lay-Z-Boy for all the reasons given above. Here are a couple of things that may not have been mentioned above:
  1. Easily moved as lifting off the back reduces it to two manageable pieces.
  2. At least the model we had was very stain resistant and easily cleaned.
I’ve had several brands of recliners in the last 50 years. The worst was a Flex Steel that actually broke when I reclined. The base is steel, but there are critical parts made from low quality wood. I wore out a Barkay lounger. I have had three Lay-Z-Boy recliners. I gave one to my son when he set up housekeeping. I replaced it with the aforementioned Flex Steel rocker swivel recliner I still have the second one in my basement rec room. It’s a regular recliner that is very comfortable; however, due to a bad back, I had difficulty getting out of it at times. I recently bought another Lay-Z-Boy that is a rocker recliner. The rocker feature makes it easier for me to get out of it. The back has 3 sections that flip up. The bottom 2 are filled with a material that can be removed or added to. This enables the lumbar section to be adjusted. Lay-Z-Boy brand has many levels of quality. My recliner cost about $900 with taxes. It was on sale. The store I visited had recliners ranging in price from $399 to over $1,000. They had leather and a variety of fabrics.

DMW
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

If you both want a good laugh, check out Youtube videos searching for "Frasier Chair".
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Stressless is my choice.
I am a father of age 73.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.