What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
andyhere

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by andyhere »

After my bike ride, I had some water and ice leftover in my water bottle. Rather than spilling it in the sink, I poured it into a glass to drink at home.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I changed my own oil (in my 2nd car) as I always do, because today was a fine day and winter’s coming. This saves me ~$25 per change. I use my preferred oil and filter and I know it’s been done correctly. And also I won’t try to sell myself anything :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I was overcharged at the grocery store $1.67 so I went back and got a refund in cash but later I found they had shorted me a dime, so always check your receipts and your change.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hbdad

Post by hbdad »

Purchased Christmas cards from Costco website instead of Shutterfly. Same great quality. Saved 50%.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I finally after reading this forum for years signed up and began to post :)
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

andyhere wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:16 pm After my bike ride, I had some water and ice leftover in my water bottle. Rather than spilling it in the sink, I poured it into a glass to drink at home.
This may qualify as the most Boglehead deed on the
forum 😂😂😂
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Lou Sevens wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:26 am I finally after reading this forum for years signed up and began to post :)
Welcome to the forum Lou!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Questioned some unnecessary procedures and refused certain irrelevant medicines during a hospital stay. Details would curl your hair- I was utterly justified. Happy to share details by PM. Perhaps doctors could confirm I was right or explain why I was wrong. However as I note elsewhere, 98 percent of the experience was very positive!!
CRJPylote

Post by CRJPylote »

I stated a project I've been thinking about for awhile, putting all my food in a database in a app with expiration dates. This may seem a bit silly, but I am gone on 3-4 day trips with 2 days off in between for work and I found that I wasn't using some food items before they went bad. I am by myself so I do not have a large family to eat food for me either. Another benefit to this for stuff like spices, I would occasionally buy a duplicate.

Not for everyone but helpful for me.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm
Lou Sevens wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:26 am I finally after reading this forum for years signed up and began to post :)
Welcome to the forum Lou!
The best long term return!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Tomorrow I will be buying Target gift cards as they will be 10% off. I will be putting them on my Discover Card which has 5% cashback on Target.com.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 am I was overcharged at the grocery store $1.67 so I went back and got a refund in cash but later I found they had shorted me a dime, so always check your receipts and your change.
And you walked back and forth to the store in your homemade shoes? I hope you didn’t spend any gas (or electricity) driving at these crazy prices!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Monsterflockster wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:45 am
Nicolas wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 am I was overcharged at the grocery store $1.67 so I went back and got a refund in cash but later I found they had shorted me a dime, so always check your receipts and your change.
And you walked back and forth to the store in your homemade shoes? I hope you didn’t spend any gas (or electricity) driving at these crazy prices!
No, I was standing just outside the store when I discovered the error, so I just walked back in to seek redress. I would not have driven. When I found that I was shorted the dime I didn’t try to get it back. But I was miffed.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Made stock with the turkey carcass. It cooked in the crockpot all last night. Both frugal and yummy.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Your avatar would have gone back in the store and hit someone with a cane. For those who aren’t familiar, here’s a trailer for the documentary Beware of Mister Baker

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... EiPk8D8D6p
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MandyLuna

Post by MandyLuna »

Decided to forego the $20K worth of dental work suggested by a new dentist, for teeth that are not troubling me. I got a second opinion. That estimate was $1K. Quite a difference. Interesting that two professionals looking at the same set of teeth could come away with such varying advice. Makes me wonder if dentistry is more of an art than a science.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

In a family tradition, every Friday after Thanksgiving we go to a local national forest with family and loved ones and harvest our Christmas tree. Total cost: $10/tree via a federal permit.

Tomorrow, we will go fly fishing on the North Platte River. The brown trout are spawning this time of year.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Zeno wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:39 pm In a family tradition, every Friday after Thanksgiving we go to a local national forest with family and loved ones and harvest our Christmas tree. Total cost: $10/tree via a federal permit.

Tomorrow, we will go fly fishing on the North Platte River. The brown trout are spawning this time of year.
What a lovely family tradition!! Hope you had a nice time.
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

Our 8 year old vacuum cleaner broke. Instead of running out to buy a new black Friday model, I took it apart, found a broken belt, and ordered a new belt and filter set for it.

$30 bucks instead of $300.

Will I retire a day earlier? No... But it felt good fixing it instead of adding to the global landfill.
ssusan333

Post by ssusan333 »

I used $650 of my workplace health incentive to buy three holiday gifts! Lots of steps to not spend "real" money!
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

If one was very frugal you could “celebrate” Thanksgiving today and get your turkeys half price.

Same could be said for Christmas celebrate a week later in order to buy your gifts the 26th.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

mrmass wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:25 pm If one was very frugal you could “celebrate” Thanksgiving today and get your turkeys half price.

Same could be said for Christmas celebrate a week later in order to buy your gifts the 26th.
I don't know if you've seen it, but it sort of went viral. A supposed money saving expert was on NBC news earlier in the week. She said to save money for Thanksgiving given the increased costs you could not serve a turkey. Then, when you tell guests you won't have a turkey some probably won't come and you'll save even more money! :oops:
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I put up the same two strings of Christmas lights that I have used for the past 20 years. I had to replace a bulb, but there were a few in the original package, so no extra charge from the original $5 or so. I tried two strings of cheap LED bulbs a few years ago and did not like the result, so it is unfrugal in electricity consumption to use the older incandescent bulbs, but they look better.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

mrmass wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:25 pm If one was very frugal you could “celebrate” Thanksgiving today and get your turkeys half price.

Way less than half price!

This morning the fresh Butterballs were marked down to $0.29/lb. The small turkey I bought cost $3.68.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Walked 2 miles to the UPS store and back instead of driving to return some Amazon items I didn't need. Also got to listen to some podcasts along the way. Got some exercise, was educated, refund from Amazon, and didn't need to use battery on my Tesla.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Glued a Teva sandal together with some pool equipment epoxy.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

harrychan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:20 pm Walked 2 miles to the UPS store and back instead of driving to return some Amazon items I didn't need. Also got to listen to some podcasts along the way. Got some exercise, was educated, refund from Amazon, and didn't need to use battery on my Tesla.
Did the same today, but it was to the library to return our books. We share a single car and wife commutes to work (today she took the kids to a friend's ranch to ride horses while I stayed home), so I'm am usually walking or riding my bike anywhere within 10 miles of our home. Wouldn't have it any other way and has nothing to do with my frugality.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Skipped breakfast and lunch yesterday and today. 4 hr. eating window. Frugality not really the goal here but negating all the additional calories on Thanksgiving is.. :happy
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Drank free beer.