Most Useful Purchases in Your 50s

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tooluser

Re: Most Useful Purchases in Your 50s

Post by tooluser »

Good fresh food, and taking the time to learn how to cook it simply and correctly to my liking. I would never have bought the pasture-raised eggs in my younger days. These days the cheap ones taste wrong to me. Same goes for chicken. I'm not completely sold on organic produce, but if it doesn't cost much more I buy it. Does it improve my health? Physically maybe, mentally definitely.

If you are still employed and spend time on the phone, a professional quality speakerphone. I bought it in my 40s but it has served me very well at home over the years. Consumer-level stuff has small and weak speakers, and cruddy microphones. I want to sound like Charlie from Charlie's Angels, so clear, so present. :P
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:02 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 pm I arrived in my 50s kind of too busy to plan for them and unclear about what to expect. I feel and look younger so the reality of 50s doesn’t hit me in the face every day (Maude I’m not!) Also, I don’t see much advertising suggesting products for people my age and maybe a forum like this isn’t the best place for this question.

But have you found consumer products that were especially useful in your 50s that you would like to share? For the sake of argument, since everyone’s different, let’s say 40s-60s.

My faves so far have been: yoga mat, Ajna acupressure mat, vitamin creams, iPhone, pulse oximeter, Minnetonka plush WFH slippers, light weights and Eucerin eczema relief hand cream (for that extra Covid hand washing). Multi focal (different from bifocal) contact lenses are pretty amazing. Has anyone tried the alarm that simulates the gradual brightness of a sunrise?
Stand up Desk (motorized) $800
Sandtrap: Can you recommend a brand/model?
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

Big green egg for the charcoal flavor when I have extra time and a three burner Weber stainless steel gas grill for quick grilling.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

tooluser wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 pm I would never have bought the pasture-raised eggs in my younger days. These days the cheap ones taste wrong to me.
I was embarrassed once in a grocery store when the checkout asked a coworker at the top of her lungs how much they cost. Still, I can see and taste the difference, so I buy them.

If I’m really splurging, I’ll add a duck egg to a dozen chicken eggs for scrambled eggs. I don’t bake, but I hear it recommended for that also.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

Nver2Late wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:27 am hiking poles.
I gave up hiking because my knees hurt so bad after steep downhills. Trekking poles allowed me to get back into it and I now do at least one long hike a week.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TheNightsToCome wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:05 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 pm I arrived in my 50s kind of too busy to plan for them and unclear about what to expect. I feel and look younger so the reality of 50s doesn’t hit me in the face every day (Maude I’m not!) Also, I don’t see much advertising suggesting products for people my age and maybe a forum like this isn’t the best place for this question.

But have you found consumer products that were especially useful in your 50s that you would like to share? For the sake of argument, since everyone’s different, let’s say 40s-60s.

My faves so far have been: yoga mat, Ajna acupressure mat, vitamin creams, iPhone, pulse oximeter, Minnetonka plush WFH slippers, light weights and Eucerin eczema relief hand cream (for that extra Covid hand washing). Multi focal (different from bifocal) contact lenses are pretty amazing. Has anyone tried the alarm that simulates the gradual brightness of a sunrise?
Jarvis Stand Up desk.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1
This model had the best reviews for being stable. Many have issues with wobble and sway when they are raised.
I have it on carpet and it is very solid. Heavy large photo editing monitor. Other heavy clutter.
It has held up well for 4 years of use. The motor is smooth and strong. Memory height function is a huge plus and works great.
Well worth paying for quality.

I use it at 3 levels.
Large bean bag, low.
Medium : desk chair
High: stand up

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Health and fitness products that have been useful.

Pulse Oximeter (finger type) 8 years old still running.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Omron Hem 907xl Blood Pressure Monitor
OMRON Hem 907XL IntelliSense Profession ... re Monitor

LifePac12 EKG/AED (gift from son).
Take your own "strips" as needed or directed and learn to read them, take them to your next appt, etc.
(This is an incredibly popular "toy" at senior gatherings or friends. Everyone wants a printout for fun.) :shock:

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:12 am
TheNightsToCome wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:05 am

Jarvis Stand Up desk.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1
This model had the best reviews for being stable. Many have issues with wobble and sway when they are raised.
I have it on carpet and it is very solid. Heavy large photo editing monitor. Other heavy clutter.
It has held up well for 4 years of use. The motor is smooth and strong. Memory height function is a huge plus and works great.
Well worth paying for quality.

I use it at 3 levels.
Large bean bag, low.
Medium : desk chair
High: stand up

Thanks.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

College education for daughter.
She makes big bucks today. With her English degree from a uni on the Upper West Side of NYC.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
dak

Post by dak »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:19 pm College education for daughter.
She makes big bucks today. With her English degree.
But... according to conventional Boglehead wisdom that is simply not possible. Are you sure she did not get a stealth degree in computer science? 8-)

(And I simply can not think of a better purchase - in your 50s or at any other time!)
Jaymover

Post by Jaymover »

I converted my bike into an ebike with a Dillinger kit. I ride everywhere now as if you feel tired you can just dial up the power. Makes a difference as I age.

Also Jamie Oliver 5 ingredient recipe book has really brought me joy, Less waste and shopping.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

When in our 50's. Our retirement dream home mini ranch.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 »

For me the most valuable thing was new devices and apps. This is a lesson learned from my mom’s experiences. She’s in her 80s now and the ONLY one if her friends who was able to download the tickets to the play they wanted to see which had No paper ticket option. She’s the only one comfortable with the maps feature and texting. This is because she wasn’t like them who insisted their flip phone was “ just fine” til it died and then it was just too hard to learn how to use a smart phone. She learned over years with each new device… a little at a time.
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 am

Take your own "strips" as needed or directed and learn to read them, take them to your next appt, etc.
(This is an incredibly popular "toy" at senior gatherings or friends. Everyone wants a printout for fun.) :shock:

I can attest to the value of a pulse oximeter, especially during Covid. This weekend it literally saved my life as the wildly off numbers helped me realize I needed to call EMS.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:41 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 am

I can attest to the value of a pulse oximeter, especially during Covid. This weekend it literally saved my life as the wildly off numbers helped me realize I needed to call EMS.
Are you okay?
Topic Author
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Yes- thanks to great doctors and nurses. It was an exacerbation of asthma and I got very good care. Thank you. But those numbers let me know to call EMS just to stay on the safe side.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Glad to hear that!
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

punkinhead wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:00 am
Nver2Late wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:27 am hiking poles.
I gave up hiking because my knees hurt so bad after steep downhills. Trekking poles allowed me to get back into it and I now do at least one long hike a week.
Similar here - one bad knee. Not bad enough to make me stop hiking, but there have been a few times where I was hopping on one foot to the car. I had figured out techniques to limit the pain on the downhill and lowered the weight of my pack to compensate. Then a hiking buddy got poles and let me try one, and it was night and day different. And as a bonus, I get an arm workout on the uphill. I have summit-itis and mainly hike to elevation/ridges, so the poles are definitely a benefit. There is also a risk/safety aspect on the ridges - one wrong step would be your last - however that is probably negated by taking increased risk doing more steeper terrain having the poles.