What is the best travel CC for annual travel budget of around $20k

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Yefuy.Goje

What is the best travel CC for annual travel budget of around $20k

Post by Yefuy.Goje »

We need a new credit card and we think we should have a better CC than our current BofA travel CC. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
anon_investor

Re: What is the best travel CC for annual travel budget of around $20k

Post by anon_investor »

Yefuy.Goje wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:44 pm We need a new credit card and we think we should have a better CC than our current BofA travel CC. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Do you have Bank of America Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors status? If so, checkout the Bank of America Premium Rewards Visa. That is what we have.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Yefuy.Goje wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:44 pm We need a new credit card and we think we should have a better CC than our current BofA travel CC. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
I'm not familiar with the BoA travel CC.
We do have a BoA charge card, but never considered it anything special for travel.

Do you tend to use any particular airline (including their partner airlines) or hotel chains?
If so, for starters, you might consider a card that can be applied to travel with those companies.

We tend to charge almost everything on our American Airlines-linked Citi AAdvantage card and on our American Express Platinum card (but I think any Amex card will earn the same membership awards, even if there aren't some of the other travel perks).

We use the points on those two "airline networks", and between the two programs, there are a large number of airlines included. In some cases, the AA awards go further when used on partner airlines, and some of those top international airlines also have far better better/more comfortable equipment and also better service.

We each just added a Chase Sapphire Reserve card to get the bonus points. I'm not sure if the Chase points are useful for us on their own, but we'll check. Minimally, they can be transferred to some other travel partners and used that way, so we know we'll use the points.
[Ahem, that's if we ever travel again... dratted Plague Times :annoyed ]

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I think a lot depends on how much you want to get involved in airline specific miles bonuses and airline benefits including AMEX Platinum, Citi Executive, Chase Sapphire or other airline specific or airline generic cards. That sort of thing can earn you some significant benefits but also needs significant effort to capitalize effectively. I don't know much about the specific reward scheme for the card you suggest.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The standard list of top travel credit cards for your spending level is:

American Express Platinum Card
Chase Sapphire Reserve Card
Citi Prestige Card
United Airlines Club Card
Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card
American Airlines Executive Card
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:59 pm The standard list of top travel credit cards for your spending level is:

Citi Prestige Card
The Capital One Venture X card is a new one at that same tier.
delamer

Post by delamer »

It depends on where you want to travel and by what method and/or carrier.

Someone taking a lot cruises out of Florida is probably going to benefit from a different card than someone who is flying to Europe and staying in budget hotels.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. | | Alexandre Dumas, fils
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

anon_investor wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:00 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:59 pm The standard list of top travel credit cards for your spending level is:

Citi Prestige Card
The Capital One Venture X card is a new one at that same tier.
Probably exceeds most of those cards at this point.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

I will say that the Capitol One Venture card covered the cost of my TSA PreCheck and Global Entry fee. It has an annual fee of $95 but by covering that cost, it made it pretty much free.
afan

Post by afan »

The Bank of America card gives you good cash back if you have at least $100k at the bank or in a Merrill Edge account.

The next simplest would be the Chase Sapphire Reserve. 3% back on travel purchases. more than that if you make the purchases through the Chase portal. Some downsides to using the portal, however. Simple to use $300 travel credit.

Beyond those, you get into things like the Amex Platinum, which give you benefits that are only good at certain times, or on certain airlines. For example, AMEX gives you Uber credits. But it is not just X Uber credits per year. Instead, it is a certain amount per month, which do not carry over if you don't use them. Amex gives you $200 for airline "incidentals" but this cannot be used for tickets, just for things like meals purchased on board or maybe baggage fees. An annual Sacks credit that is split up into, I think, $50 for Jan- June and $50 for July-Dec. No good if you want to buy a $100 item. Amex is like that.

Rumor has it that there is a newer offering from another bank that is quite competitive. Simple, like the CSR but maybe more cash back?

You need to decide whether you want a hobby, or just to get some money back on your travel.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Depends on how you Travel and what that spend is for.

Chase has been our primary ecosystem for decades, first with a UA card, then with their JPMR. We have easy access to the Star Alliance network, and that has provided free international F/J seats for decades.

A few years ago, Amex Plat, primarily for their FHR benefits (for example, this week we got an early checkin at 9:00 am. Add to this will be a 4:00 checkout and $500 of F&B credits on a 4 night (5 day) stay. Just this stay alone more than pays for the card fee. We have used the card four times this year on this type of stay, so we are high on the Plat.
basspond

Post by basspond »

You need to look at the extra benefits for each card. For example, the United card gives you a free bag on every flight.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

If you live near a hub city (or regularly fly routes on which one airline provides the best service), the card for that airline would be most useful. You will probably earn more miles for purchases of tickets on that airline, and you will find miles on that airline easier to use because you have more flights and more nonstops available.

I don't travel as much as you do, but this is why I have a United card. I frequently fly out of Dulles Airport, and can use United miles more easily than miles on other airlines. I am also not elite level on United, so I save money because the card allows me to check a bag for free on cross-country flights.
Wiki David Grabiner
DrivingFun

Post by DrivingFun »

IMHO it completely depends on why you're looking for a travel card to begin with. Is it for the purposes of accumulating points, and turning them into something that's worth than equivalent cash back (transfer partners)? Is it some other perks (free checked bags, status, global entry)? Is it insurance (trip cancelation, delays, etc.)?

Without knowing what's important to you, it's hard to recommend something. They all have varying levels of all of these with varying annual fees. What's a gold mine to one is a waste of money for someone else.