How would a Boglehead buy a new Apple laptop?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
srt7

Re: How would a Boglehead buy a new Apple laptop?

Post by srt7 »

Maverick3320 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:02 am
srt7 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:35 pm What does she use it for? Would a top of the line iPad suffice?
I have a decent ipad (from work) that we don't actually use very often. The main thing for her is probably answering emails, so a lot of typing, which is still a bit clunky on an ipad. Also the typical browsing/netflix, casual use stuff.
I understand as I myself am a laptop guy. But as someone else suggested a bluetooth keyboard with an iPad Pro might do it for half the price.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I remember getting Apple to match a Black Friday deal on Best Buy. It was honestly a huge hassle though.

My experience is that the retail outlets usually have the same prices as buying through Apple directly except in some limited promotional times like Black Friday.

Buying this through your phone through the Apple Store app really is so easy, you can even have it delivered in like 2 hours for another $8 delivery fee.

The M1 laptops are really nice. I just hate how Apple does things with memory, it should just come standard with 500GB, it would probably cost Apple another $30, but it makes the consumer pay a huge premium.
bgvg

Post by bgvg »

You can get the base model for $895 on Adorama with the Apple Insider discount code. There are discounts on pretty much all other configurations as well.

https://deals.appleinsider.com/deal/21/ ... ook-air-m1

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, sign up for the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card. You get 5% cash back on all Amazon and Whole Foods purchases. You will also get a $100 Amazon gift card upon instant approval. Non-Prime members can get 3% back and a $50 gift card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html/

The base model has been as low as $849 on Amazon according to CamelCamelCamel. It's currently on sale for $929. Consider signing up for an email alert if the price drops below $850. It looks like Amazon has lowered the prices frequently enough, but remember that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08N5M7S6K

You can also get credit for your old MacBook from Apple even if you are not making a purchase from them. You can use the credit for a future purchase. I will get $170 for my mid-2013 MacBook Air even though they consider it to be "Vintage." It will probably be considered "Obsolete" next year. Other trade-in sites like the one affiliated with Costco will not accept my old hardware.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

Also, use the Amazon link at the top of the forum to support Bogleheads.

In the meantime, if your wife finds browsing the web to be slow, try installing an adblocker like uBlock Origin if she hasn't already done so. This will speed up web browsing dramatically.
Last edited by bgvg on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Maverick3320 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 am
rockstar wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 pm You're being too frugal. You should plan on a new laptop every 3-5 years. They're like phones. The hardware gets dated and the batteries die.

But if you don't want to buy on in an Apple store, then Costco is a good alternative.
Ha, I agree...but it's actually my wife's fault. I purchase a new laptop for myself around the four-year mark or so. She refuses to buy a new one for herself!
When it finally dies, get her a Commodore 64. :)
HENRYGRUGER

Post by HENRYGRUGER »

Maverick...

IF you are a Veteran or a Teacher, APPLE has a discount program for you, at Apple.com (On the entire line.)

IF you are not, APPLE stores will usually match any price from a Brick and Mortar store, like Best Buy.

Lastly, IF you trust online sources, there are deals to be had at Macrumors.com

I have a iMac (27") a matching Thunderbolt Display (27") a MacBook Air 13.3", an Apple Watch, and an iPad Pro. (I also have the AirPods and AirPod Pros...BUT I do not recommend them. I can't get them to stay in my ears.) Overall, the thought of every going back to Windows/PC products makes me want retch.

I buy overpriced Apple products because their Customer Support is the BEST I have ever experienced and they are their 24/7 365...and speak English as their primary language.

I LOVE THE way they all interface. Make a change on ONE Apple product and it happens on all of your products.

Enjoy!
bgvg

Post by bgvg »

The MacBook Air is on sale for $799 at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/macbook-air-13.3 ... 88258.html

It appears to be sold out on Amazon if purchasing directly through them after they dropped the price to $849.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Amazon has the MacBook Air with M1 chip and 8GB of RAM for $849 right now, which is the cheapest I've seen it. My wife got me the 2019 MacBook Air from Amazon with the old intel chip for $1000. I find the Air comparable to my 2014 MacBook Pro except the Air lacks the single aluminum block casing! (My first MacBook around 1995 with the upgrade 1 GB of RAM was $4500 in a grey plastic case. The Air is a bargain!) If you like to browse newspaper around the world for free, leave off the ad blocker on the old computer. For looking at a few ads, you have access to a lot of media/print.

I like Mac computers but have going the route of Android smartphones because of price. I would like to recommend the Lively Alcatel Smartphone 3 from Best Buy for seniors if you only sign up for voice, text and data and NOT all the security and health related add-ons and services.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Buy refurbished directly from Apple.com. That’s where I bought my iMac and I couldn’t tell it from brand new. Five and a half years on and zero problems. Also it arrived with twice the RAM than advertised!
Pinotage

PSA - Chase Ultimate Rewards discount on Apple products

Post by Pinotage »

Purchasing certain Apple products through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal can result in a substantial discount through 11/30.

Pleased to see 10% off using Ultimate Rewards on my Chase Freedom card...

More pleased to see 25% off using Ultimate Rewards on my Chase Sapphire card.
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

1.... hold my beer. :beer
2.... use a new credit card promo spend (like get 500$ in points for 3k in spending).
3.... go to best buy and target, and buy a bunch of apple gift cards on your and your families accounts (typically you get 15$ store cards with a $100 purchase)
4.... wait until friday
5.... go buy during apples black friday sale where they will give you $100 Gift card for buying a macbook air)
6... (get an M1 based product)

for $1000 you'll net out 150$ bby/TGT gift cards, 100$ apple gift cart, your macbook air, and whatever you could swing on your credit card promo.
(note I haven't done this, but I think it works)

8-)
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Apple Certified Refurbished
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

Had great luck with them in the past for base model items.

Costco is another good option. Most configurations are about $50 off retail.

Steeper discounts are occasionally available but usually target end-of-cycle models with stale specs.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

I think of my self as a Boglehead in my retirement years.
Our retirement portfolio was up $6K today.
Buy her a fully loaded Macbook Air.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

FandangoDave5010 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:05 pm Amazon has the MacBook Air with M1 chip and 8GB of RAM for $849 right now, which is the cheapest I've seen it. My wife got me the 2019 MacBook Air from Amazon with the old intel chip for $1000. I find the Air comparable to my 2014 MacBook Pro except the Air lacks the single aluminum block casing!
The MacBook Air M1 has gone for as low as $750, currently $780 at Micro Center: https://www.microcenter.com/product/631 ... space-gray. And AFAIK the 2019 MacBook Air (like all MacBook Airs ever made) have an aluminum unibody.
jodhpur

Post by jodhpur »

I have purchased 5+ off the Apple Certified Refurbished website over the last 20 years (it's a link at the bottom of the main Apple.com page). I find I save 10-25+% off the current similar models. Very easy transaction. I''m unsure about the Intel chips and the keyboard issues, but I'd go with the braintrust.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I am looking at getting one for digital audio to record my songs on; I would want to future proof it and see with very high specs it could run $5k (I would want 64gb, and a 2tb or even 4tb drive). Can someone roughly give the estimated (and I know it varies) life of the laptop?
Normally I get Lenovo laptops- I had one that lasted 6 years, I had a HP what was 4 and a terrible gateway that had 2 years.

I would probably have to order directly from Apple for the extra memory and hard drive space included. I was considering that or a Dell XPS 17.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Lou Sevens wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:03 am I am looking at getting one for digital audio to record my songs on; I would want to future proof it and see with very high specs it could run $5k (I would want 64gb, and a 2tb or even 4tb drive). Can someone roughly give the estimated (and I know it varies) life of the laptop?
Normally I get Lenovo laptops- I had one that lasted 6 years, I had a HP what was 4 and a terrible gateway that had 2 years.

I would probably have to order directly from Apple for the extra memory and hard drive space included. I was considering that or a Dell XPS 17.
Lou,

Another approach is to size the internal SSD drive to hold your applications but use an external HDD or SSD for music, photos, videos etc.

This can be a more cost effective and resilient approach.

WoodSpinner