Health insurance claim after lapse

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

Health insurance claim after lapse

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Currently with Aetna and my Employer is switching providers to Blue Cross starting Jan 1, 2022. I have my annual physical late Dec and it's covered under my current policy.

Question - does the claim need to be submitted before the policy lapses or is it fine as long as the incident date is within the coverage period?
Cubicle

Re: Health insurance claim after lapse

Post by Cubicle »

Date of service is key. Timely filling, as long as the claim is submitted within the insurance's timely filling, you should be good. The onus is on the provider.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Your policy should state somewhere how long you have to file the claim. Make sure you know that and stay within that deadline, including allowing time in case a first submission arrives late or even goes astray, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:23 pm Currently with Aetna and my Employer is switching providers to Blue Cross starting Jan 1, 2022. I have my annual physical late Dec and it's covered under my current policy.

Question - does the claim need to be submitted before the policy lapses or is it fine as long as the incident date is within the coverage period?
No need for worry. It will be covered. There is no "lapse" when the insurance provider is changed this way.
I love a good nap. Sometimes it’s the only thing getting me out of bed in the morning.
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Thank you! that is what I had thought but I wasn't quite sure. Looks like the service date is key. The doc usually submits the claim within a week, at least they did it last time around.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:15 pm Thank you! that is what I had thought but I wasn't quite sure. Looks like the service date is key. The doc usually submits the claim within a week, at least they did it last time around.
Usually the time to submit a claim is much longer than a week, so no issues! I've had health insurance that allows up to 2 years from date of service. Usually 3 to 6 months wouldn't be out of the ordinary though.
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

thanks, my original concern was that the claim would be sent in time but the insurance company would come back and say it's denied because I no longer have a policy with them... this thread clarified it that if I had coverage as of the service date then it should be covered.