PC Build Thread - 2020... and beyond!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tortoise84

Re: PC Build Thread - 2020... and beyond!!!

Post by tortoise84 »

I decided to build a basic web browsing and video PC to put in my bedroom to replace an i5-3210M laptop that I got in 2013.

$189.98 i5-11400 with integrated graphics
$89.99 MSI B560M PRO-VDH Micro ATX motherboard
$54.99 G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB DDR4-3600 CL18 RAM
$59.99 [reused] SAMA IM01 Micro ATX case
$84.99 [reused] EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM SFX PSU
$50? [reused] Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVMe SSD

So the total PC cost would be around $530 with no discrete GPU if I built it with all new parts. You could go even cheaper with an i3-10105 for $120 and a cheaper PSU for $50, bringing the total down to $425.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Don't forget about transferring the OS from the laptop to your new build. If it's Win 10, you'll need to figure out how to deactivate the laptop, activate on the new build. If it's Linux, not a concern.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

Well it was originally a Windows 8 OEM license from Lenovo so I don't think there's any way to transfer it. I'll just get another license.
Topic Author
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

German Expat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:58 pm I was following your build thread for quite a while and hoping to snag a good graphics card eventually. Now with black Friday offers coming up in Europe I gave in and ordered a HP Omen. Pricing was 2200 CHF with a Ryzen 9 5900x and a Nvidia 3080 LHR. I was a bit surprised finding a decent amount of pre configured ones from various web sites in Germany or Switzerland (Aldi has one soon as well).

https://www.hp.com/ch-en/shop/product.a ... UZ&sel=DTP

I know its not a build question but I am curious if anybody has some recommendations if I should look into improving cooling or power supply. I read that under load the fan might get a bit high pitched. Also not sure about the CPU cooler but found some online videos showing how to replace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxMMowwKY8

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
That is an amazing price for those specs, especially since it already includes VAT - you did great. An 800W PSU is plenty for that build. I wouldn't worry about noise/cooling until you get it in hand and try it out.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:54 pm I decided to build a basic web browsing and video PC to put in my bedroom to replace an i5-3210M laptop that I got in 2013.

$189.98 i5-11400 with integrated graphics
$89.99 MSI B560M PRO-VDH Micro ATX motherboard
$54.99 G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB DDR4-3600 CL18 RAM
$59.99 [reused] SAMA IM01 Micro ATX case
$84.99 [reused] EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM SFX PSU
$50? [reused] Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVMe SSD

So the total PC cost would be around $530 with no discrete GPU if I built it with all new parts. You could go even cheaper with an i3-10105 for $120 and a cheaper PSU for $50, bringing the total down to $425.
I finished building this PC and all went well. It's very quiet with Arctic P12 PWM fans - 1 bottom intake and 1 on the CPU cooler.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/TqTCmG

When you go into the MSI BIOS, the first thing it asks you is whether you want to increase the CPU power limits depending on the type of CPU cooler you're using. So I selected Tower Air Cooler with PL1 135W, PL2 180W, current 210A. I did a Cinebench R23 run and it does indeed sustain 135W with all 6 cores at 4.2GHz, max temp 81C. The Cinebench R23 multi core score was 10250, which is not that far off from my AMD Ryzen 5 5600X at 11500.
Topic Author
Independent George

Welp. I just ordered a new 1000W Seasonic PSU in anticipation of the ridiculous GPUs projected to be released next year. Normally I wouldn't buy until the specs were actually out, but at $130 (after $15 rebate and $35 promo code), that's just too good a deal to pass up. If anything, it's my current 650W psu that was overpriced when purchased for $110 during the shortages last summer.

I'd also normally be looking at the 70-series cards (which are typically at the sweet spot of price, performance, and power consumption), but (1) I'm now committed to water cooling, and (2) having skipped the current generation, I'm now willing to blow $1,000+ on an utterly ridiculous upgrade on my RX-580 next year. Worst case scenario, I'll leave the box sealed and unopened for a year, which should let me resell for a decent amount if it turns out to be unnecessary.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Independent George wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:27 pm Welp. I just ordered a new 1000W Seasonic PSU in anticipation of the ridiculous GPUs projected to be released next year. Normally I wouldn't buy until the specs were actually out, but at $130 (after $15 rebate and $35 promo code), that's just too good a deal to pass up. If anything, it's my current 650W psu that was overpriced when purchased for $110 during the shortages last summer.
There was a PSU shortage ? You should have told me. I think I have 3 spares. The biggest one is a 630W. I would have kept that one, though :)
Seriously, though, one of the coolest features on my Corsair HX-1200i PSU is the Corsair link feature - a USB connector that can report data about power consumption, fan speed, temperature in real time. The Corsair iCUE software for Windows is awful and bloated. However, HWMonitor supports it. It's very nice to be able to see the total system power consumption, and not just that of the CPU or GPU. I have compared it with a Kill-a-watt plugged in at the same time, and it was within 3 watts. The USB sensor data only updates every 4 seconds, though, not as frequently as the Kill-a-watt does.

I wish other cheaper/smaller model/brands of PSUs had something like this. Even Corsair now only has this on their AX 1600i PSU, apparently, which sells for megabucks, at least new.

Topic Author
Independent George

madbrain wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:09 am There was a PSU shortage ? You should have told me. I think I have 3 spares. The biggest one is a 630W. I would have kept that one, though :)
Seriously, though, one of the coolest features on my Corsair HX-1200i PSU is the Corsair link feature - a USB connector that can report data about power consumption, fan speed, temperature in real time. The Corsair iCUE software for Windows is awful and bloated. However, HWMonitor supports it. It's very nice to be able to see the total system power consumption, and not just that of the CPU or GPU. I have compared it with a Kill-a-watt plugged in at the same time, and it was within 3 watts. The USB sensor data only updates every 4 seconds, though, not as frequently as the Kill-a-watt does.
This was Summer 2020, not 2021; it was right after the covid lockdowns started and everybody was buying up... well, everything, but among PC components, power supplies disappeared for a long time . PSUs were selling on eBay for +50% msrp (which, when you look it at GPU pricing, is positively adorable); I'm not sure exactly when supplies normalized, but I snagged my PSU in the fall, just before the Zen 3 CPUs were released.

That power monitoring is pretty neat, and I'm glad you can view it without installing iCUE. I do have a UPS which tracks total power throughput, but obviously can't break it down by component. I check HWInfo mostly for temps rather than power consumption, but it does break out motherboard power from the CPU/GPU.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Catching up on this old thread and I just wanted to give a warning for the Zotac graphics card. Maybe they've gotten better over the years, but Zotac is the only brand where I've had capacitors pop during the use of the system. This happened many, many years ago, but it was quite memorable. I was sitting at the desk and there was a deafeningly loud pop, which turned out to be the a capacitor popping on my old Zotac graphics card. There were three popped capacitors in total when I pulled the card from the system.

This is perhaps too little, too late for madbrain, but check the type of capacitors being used to see if they're known for such failures. A random Google search for "zotac capacitor issues" is not reassuring to me on this front, as there are many posts with date stamps from 2020 talking about issues with Zotac GPU capacitors.