Which Costco wifi router? (Is mesh best)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CorradoJr

Which Costco wifi router? (Is mesh best)

Post by CorradoJr »

I am looking for a decent upgrade to a 10 year old router currently in use. We have a small 1100 sq ft. home, about 7-8 "connected" devices and not much else. As it is now, I often loose the signal in the far corners of my home (basic 2 story house) with the router placed centrally on the 1st floor.

We watch movies occasionally and both currently work from home, but I don't see too much demand on the network traffic. No video games, no kids streaming videos endlessly.

I've read through many discussions here on mesh systems and it seems this would eliminate some of my dead zone issues. But frankly I think any router will be an upgrade over my current 10-year old Netgear WNDR3700. We do work outside occasionally and it would be nice if the signal reached further into the backyard then it currently does.

Looking at Costco, I see they have a few options for highly-rated routers:

Mesh Systems
NETGEAR - Nighthawk MK63 AX1800 WiFi 6 Mesh System
NETGEAR - Orbi RBK753S AX4200 WiFi 6 Mesh System, 3 pack
TP-Link Deco X60 Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, 3-Pack

Non-Mesh
TP-Link Tri-Band 12-Stream AX11000 Wi-Fi 6 Router
NETGEAR - Nighthawk RAX45 AX4300 WiFi 6 Router

I frankly don't like the idea of a Google router or Amazon router. Just a personal preference unless their performance/cost is so much better than Netgear or TP link or another more "independent" brand.

What system would you recommend for a good Holiday deal? And do I need mesh?
02nz

Re: Which Costco wifi router? (Is mesh best)

Post by 02nz »

I'd recommend mesh since you're having connectivity issues in the far corners, despite it being a smaller home. Amazon has an Eero 2-pack on sale for $120: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-eero-dual ... 085WS7H6K/. I think spending anything more than that is overkill.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

See also the previous BH thread: Which Mesh System to buy (from Costco) [Wi-Fi].
mhc

Post by mhc »

I would guess a non-mesh router would be fine for your house. A new router would probably get rid of the dead zones.

I have the basic comcast router in the basement of my two story house (3 floors in all), and we have no dead zones. My house is 2700 sq ft.

I would go basic first if you can return it if you are not happy. Then you could try a mesh router if necessary.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I'm far from an expert, but mesh systems seem to be routinely recommended here, even in cases when they're not needed. Probably because they're usually easy to set up and they just work. But if you don't have significant interference problems it's possible a single newer router can meet your needs.

You have an 802.11n router. It doesn't have the signal strength of 802.11ac or 802.11ax. I had similar issues to yours in a larger house with an 802.11n router. I solved my issues with a single 802.11ac router that cost $100. You can read about my search for recommendations here.

What's interesting to me about that thread is the extremely wide variety of recommendations, including mesh, commercial grade networking equipment, pulling Cat6 throughout my house, etc.
DMB41

Post by DMB41 »

I wouldn't be surprised if simply upgrading to a nicer, newer router fixes the problem. 1100 sq ft., especially split between two floors, is not that much space. A good router should be able to reach everywhere easily and reliably. Outside may be a little bit of a stretch though with one router.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

DMB41 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 pm I wouldn't be surprised if simply upgrading to a nicer, newer router fixes the problem. 1100 sq ft., especially split between two floors, is not that much space. A good router should be able to reach everywhere easily and reliably. Outside may be a little bit of a stretch though with one router.
Agree with this. A good MIMO router will be more than sufficient for rock solid coverage across two stacked ~600 sqft floors. Ideally you would want it near the ceiling on the first floor or close to the floor on the 2nd for best coverage, but I suspect you'll be fine no matter where you put it.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:32 pm
DMB41 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 pm I wouldn't be surprised if simply upgrading to a nicer, newer router fixes the problem. 1100 sq ft., especially split between two floors, is not that much space. A good router should be able to reach everywhere easily and reliably. Outside may be a little bit of a stretch though with one router.
Agree with this. A good MIMO router will be more than sufficient for rock solid coverage across two stacked ~600 sqft floors. Ideally you would want it near the ceiling on the first floor or close to the floor on the 2nd for best coverage, but I suspect you'll be fine no matter where you put it.
+2. I bought a Google wifi router (based on recommendations on here) and have been very happy with it. A single router covers my 2,600 sqft house and also the yard.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Probably true, but a decent newer router will cost around $100. Given that a 2-unti Eero system only costs $120, I'd go for mesh and be done.
Topic Author
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Given I want to steer away from Amazon (Eero) or Google products I think I will stick with a Netgear and either try the Nighthawk mesh system (which is reasonably priced) or the Orbi mesh system (a bit more expensive, and has faster throughput, but most likely overkill for our needs).
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

You shouldn't need mesh. The problem is probably the 10 year old router and interference from neighbors. Any new router with more frequencies will probably solve your problem.

Also, have you tried 2nd floor placement? What type of construction? For a small house, mesh may not work any better, especially if the problem isn't range. You get an extender a little closer, but it's via a wireless connection which can be it's own set of problems.

How many of your 7-8 devices are or aren't 5 GHz capable? I've turned off 2.4 GHz completely.

Consider and compare to these models.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-WiFi-Router ... B08S7CK5T5
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-AX1800-WiFi ... B08J6CFM39
Finnegan

Post by Finnegan »

I have the Netgear mesh system from Costco, which works great. Too well, in fact; the node in my garage connects (spottily) to my cell phone for a distance of about 800" from my house.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

CorradoJr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:34 amWe have a small 1100 sq ft. home
I found mesh to be over-engineering for our 2100 sq. ft. home. A simple WiFi 6 router, not even the latest one, placed in the open living room area gives me 400 mbps wifi signal at the farthest corners of the small house.

Also, I personally found more success with tp-link compared to netgear & asus, but that's probably anecdotal as all of them have a good reputation.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I suggest getting a good 811AC router capable of being the main hub in a mesh system but not bothering with the extra hub unless you still have trouble with dead spots.

Why AC instead of AX? AX is the newest technology and may still be working out the kinks. Also, AX is not as good at going through walls and floors. If you DO end up needing the second mesh hub, see if you can connect it to the main hub using cat5e or (better). I assume you would put the second router upstairs.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
dognose

Post by dognose »

The two-pack Eero will solve all of your problems for very little money. And setup is remarkably easy -- you'll be up and running in about 10 minutes. I've had an Eero system for six years without any problems at all.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

CorradoJr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:34 am I am looking for a decent upgrade to a 10 year old router currently in use. We have a small 1100 sq ft. home, about 7-8 "connected" devices and not much else. As it is now, I often loose the signal in the far corners of my home (basic 2 story house) with the router placed centrally on the 1st floor.

We watch movies occasionally and both currently work from home, but I don't see too much demand on the network traffic. No video games, no kids streaming videos endlessly.

I've read through many discussions here on mesh systems and it seems this would eliminate some of my dead zone issues. But frankly I think any router will be an upgrade over my current 10-year old Netgear WNDR3700. We do work outside occasionally and it would be nice if the signal reached further into the backyard then it currently does.

Looking at Costco, I see they have a few options for highly-rated routers:

Mesh Systems
NETGEAR - Nighthawk MK63 AX1800 WiFi 6 Mesh System
TP-Link Deco X60 Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, 3-Pack

Non-Mesh
TP-Link Tri-Band 12-Stream AX11000 Wi-Fi 6 Router
NETGEAR - Nighthawk RAX45 AX4300 WiFi 6 Router

I frankly don't like the idea of a Google router or Amazon router. Just a personal preference unless their performance/cost is so much better than Netgear or TP link or another more "independent" brand.

What system would you recommend for a good Holiday deal? And do I need mesh?
I have an older TP-Link mesh system. My home is 1435sqft condo and it works well. My previous home was situated so that the plumbing in m stack caused network interference on the patio in a 990 sqft condo.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

In an 1100 sqft house, I would get the cheapest one. If that doesn’t work properly, take it back and get the second cheapest one.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
EricaInvestPink

Post by EricaInvestPink »

We just bought this one, to replace our Netgear R7000P. The R7000P was perfectly fine for our old place - a 1200 sqft single level condo. But we moved into a ~2500ft, two story house, and unfortunately the internet line comes in at the back corner of the house, and the company was charging a ridiculous amount to dig a line into a more favorable part of the house. So now, our TV (opposite corner) would buffer a lot during 4k shows, and our office (second story) was getting frequently slow internet and disconnects. Our connection maxes at 100mbit but we would typically get 20-40mb at best.

With the Mesh system, we get close to maxing (~80-95mb) and no random disconnects since.

Expensive ($350) but worth it!!
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I recently bought and installed the TP-Link Deco X60 system referenced in the first post. It works well, was relatively inexpensive, was easy to set up, and provides much faster speeds throughout my house than I was experiencing earlier with only a FiOS router, along with better coverage.