What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 2881
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I'm expecting some large home expenses. Any new card I can sign up for with a large initial sign on ?

1) I already have Chase Sapphire. I just dropped from 5/24 to 4/24 a month ago, although it might take a few more weeks for it to register with Chase

2) Citi Premium rejected me. Rather surprised since I've had no problem with Citicards before, but I hear they're getting very strict.

3) I can probably open Amex or BoA cards. Already have Cash rewards. Amex Platinum is likely out -- I had it a few years back.

Thanks !
manlymatt83
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by manlymatt83 »

Trying to simplify my credit card life and am really happy with my Amex card. As far as my "backup Visa" is concerned, I'd like something with no FTF because I'll likely only use it when traveling.

Choices seem to be between:

- Downgrading my Chase Sapphire Reserve to a Chase Sapphire Preferred (net $45 annual fee after credits, but for peace of mind, may just be worth paying the $45); or
- Converting my Citi Double Cash that I never use to a Costco Visa and using that for "free"

Tempted to go the Chase route as my business card is with Chase, so I already pool points together, but also having trouble stomaching the $95 annual fee (only $45 if I use the credits).
Freefun
Posts: 860
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Freefun »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:53 am
Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:41 am The revised AMEX platinum is out. There is an offer via their affiliate, Resy, for the following.

125k after $6k spend in 6 months
15x on up to $25k spent at restaurants and “Shop Small” in 6 months

Total opportunity: 500,000 MR

A look at the Shop Small map reveals that almost all car dealerships by me are “Shop Small”.

IF you are in the market for a car, it might be worthy your while to negotiate paying the CC processing fee for a dealership to allow you to charge $25k in your card. If it’s a 3.5% processing fee and it costs you $875, you’re getting 500k MR in 1 legit, non-MS transaction. That’s like buying points for $0.00175 each which is a ridiculous deal.
And YIKES - the annual fee is apparently jumping to $695!

https://www.cnbc.com/select/amex-launch ... int-bonus/

We may want to rethink this, as we are pretty much hermits these days due to Covid.
Maybe just keep a Gold card for now?
(And might they give another bonus for getting another Plat card in the future, or would it work the other way, and they won't want us...?)

RM
I’m using increased benefits to offset increased cost. They pay partial credit for streaming services ( including my audible) and it made Clear completely free.

You can’t get the signup bonus if you drop the card and signup again later. However they have different branded plat cards. I closed my generic plat card and opened a Schwab plat card and got the signup bonus all over again (in addition to $200 off the AF)
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 2881
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:27 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am I'm expecting some large home expenses. Any new card I can sign up for with a large initial sign on ?

1) I already have Chase Sapphire. I just dropped from 5/24 to 4/24 a month ago, although it might take a few more weeks for it to register with Chase

2) Citi Premium rejected me. Rather surprised since I've had no problem with Citicards before, but I hear they're getting very strict.

3) I can probably open Amex or BoA cards. Already have Cash rewards. Amex Platinum is likely out -- I had it a few years back.

Thanks !
Chase ink preferred which will give you 100k points for $15k spend
or
Chase ink Cash/Unlimited for 75k points for $5k in spend.
(link removed by moderator Flyer24)

The link above is a referral that would give me a few points as well if you sign up.
Ink Preferred requires a business, right ? I don't have a business.

I did have a business a few years back, and I obtained a Ink Cash unlimited then, which I still have. So that card is out too.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6224
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:27 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am I'm expecting some large home expenses. Any new card I can sign up for with a large initial sign on ?

1) I already have Chase Sapphire. I just dropped from 5/24 to 4/24 a month ago, although it might take a few more weeks for it to register with Chase

2) Citi Premium rejected me. Rather surprised since I've had no problem with Citicards before, but I hear they're getting very strict.

3) I can probably open Amex or BoA cards. Already have Cash rewards. Amex Platinum is likely out -- I had it a few years back.

Thanks !
Chase ink preferred which will give you 100k points for $15k spend
or
Chase ink Cash/Unlimited for 75k points for $5k in spend.

Ink Preferred requires a business, right ? I don't have a business.

I did have a business a few years back, and I obtained a Ink Cash unlimited then, which I still have. So that card is out too.
You can make up a business like an ebay selling business. Just call the business by your own name and use your Social Security as the sole proprietor.

Note: My post got removed because of the referral link. You can find a link via a google search.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
FedGuy
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by FedGuy »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am I'm expecting some large home expenses. Any new card I can sign up for with a large initial sign on ?
...
3) I can probably open Amex or BoA cards. Already have Cash rewards.
The BoA Premium Rewards card is offering 50,000 points as a sign-on bonus if you spend $3,000 within 90 days. BoA notes that this is equivalent to $500, but according to the Premium Rewards credit card page on their website--I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself--redeeming the points for cash back is subject to the 25%/50%/75% multipliers if you're enrolled in BoA's Preferred Rewards program, which would allow you to redeem the sign-on bonus for $875 at the Platinum Honors level.

Again, I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself, but it might be worth looking into.
stilllurking
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by stilllurking »

FedGuy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:41 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am I'm expecting some large home expenses. Any new card I can sign up for with a large initial sign on ?
...
3) I can probably open Amex or BoA cards. Already have Cash rewards.
The BoA Premium Rewards card is offering 50,000 points as a sign-on bonus if you spend $3,000 within 90 days. BoA notes that this is equivalent to $500, but according to the Premium Rewards credit card page on their website--I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself--redeeming the points for cash back is subject to the 25%/50%/75% multipliers if you're enrolled in BoA's Preferred Rewards program, which would allow you to redeem the sign-on bonus for $875 at the Platinum Honors level.

Again, I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself, but it might be worth looking into.
I have this card and don't see this option for redemption. I'm willing to learn more of this is the case.
fujiters
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by fujiters »

stilllurking wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:49 am
FedGuy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:41 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am I'm expecting some large home expenses. Any new card I can sign up for with a large initial sign on ?
...
3) I can probably open Amex or BoA cards. Already have Cash rewards.
The BoA Premium Rewards card is offering 50,000 points as a sign-on bonus if you spend $3,000 within 90 days. BoA notes that this is equivalent to $500, but according to the Premium Rewards credit card page on their website--I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself--redeeming the points for cash back is subject to the 25%/50%/75% multipliers if you're enrolled in BoA's Preferred Rewards program, which would allow you to redeem the sign-on bonus for $875 at the Platinum Honors level.

Again, I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself, but it might be worth looking into.
I have this card and don't see this option for redemption. I'm willing to learn more of this is the case.
I also have this card. The multiplier is on the earning, not the redeeming (a few years ago I think the multiplier worked at redemption, but it's been changed for at least a couple years). Thus, the 50000 sign up bonus really is $500. You earn at your multiplier rate on the $3000 minimum spend though (so if you're at the top level of 75% and your $3k in spending is all in travel, you'll get an extra 3.5% back--$105).
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by anon_investor »

stilllurking wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:49 am
FedGuy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:41 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:04 am I'm expecting some large home expenses. Any new card I can sign up for with a large initial sign on ?
...
3) I can probably open Amex or BoA cards. Already have Cash rewards.
The BoA Premium Rewards card is offering 50,000 points as a sign-on bonus if you spend $3,000 within 90 days. BoA notes that this is equivalent to $500, but according to the Premium Rewards credit card page on their website--I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself--redeeming the points for cash back is subject to the 25%/50%/75% multipliers if you're enrolled in BoA's Preferred Rewards program, which would allow you to redeem the sign-on bonus for $875 at the Platinum Honors level.

Again, I don't have the card and haven't tried this myself, but it might be worth looking into.
I have this card and don't see this option for redemption. I'm willing to learn more of this is the case.
The cash back multipliers only apply to cash back earned from purchases. It does not impact redemption value. So the 50k bonus is not increased by having Platinum Honors level Preferred Rewards status. But if you have that status, you get unlimited 2.62% cash back on all purchases (3.5% cash back on dinning/travel), so that might be helpful for a large up coming purchase. Without the status it is only 1.5% cash back. And keep in mind on the first statement you are charged the $95 annual fee, so the net bonus is only $405.
FedGuy
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by FedGuy »

Thank you for the correction, fujiters and anon_investor!
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 2881
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I had BoA Premium (I got a bonus around 2.5 years back) until about 18 months back, which I converted to BoA Cash. Can I apply for BoA Premium again with bonus ?

Also, my large expense involves buying HVAC items such as a hot water heater or a gas boiler. Is there a card that gives some extra warranty protection for these items (of course, if they show up just as a line item on a contractor's bill, any additional card warranty would likely not be applicable) ?
lakpr
Posts: 8162
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by lakpr »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 pm Also, my large expense involves buying HVAC items such as a hot water heater or a gas boiler. Is there a card that gives some extra warranty protection for these items (of course, if they show up just as a line item on a contractor's bill, any additional card warranty would likely not be applicable) ?
In my experience, buying hot water heater cannot be placed on a credit card, at least not without a 3% add on fee, that negates any benefit you may get. It might still be worth it if the bonus is a larger percentage, but that is a personal call.
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 2881
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

lakpr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:27 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 pm Also, my large expense involves buying HVAC items such as a hot water heater or a gas boiler. Is there a card that gives some extra warranty protection for these items (of course, if they show up just as a line item on a contractor's bill, any additional card warranty would likely not be applicable) ?
In my experience, buying hot water heater cannot be placed on a credit card, at least not without a 3% add on fee, that negates any benefit you may get. It might still be worth it if the bonus is a larger percentage, but that is a personal call.
What if you bought directly from a big box store like HD (and not indirectly through a contractor who also installs) ?
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6224
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:56 pm
lakpr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:27 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 pm Also, my large expense involves buying HVAC items such as a hot water heater or a gas boiler. Is there a card that gives some extra warranty protection for these items (of course, if they show up just as a line item on a contractor's bill, any additional card warranty would likely not be applicable) ?
In my experience, buying hot water heater cannot be placed on a credit card, at least not without a 3% add on fee, that negates any benefit you may get. It might still be worth it if the bonus is a larger percentage, but that is a personal call.
What if you bought directly from a big box store like HD (and not indirectly through a contractor who also installs) ?
Of course anything you buy at a store that accepts credit card can be placed on credit card.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
lakpr
Posts: 8162
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by lakpr »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:56 pm What if you bought directly from a big box store like HD (and not indirectly through a contractor who also installs) ?
If you do buy from Home Depot or Lowe's directly, yes; but you may find that you will be paying higher price in net, compared with competition. My last water heater replacement fetched a $200 discount when bought and installed from my utility company, compared to out-the-door price + $150 installation price from Home Depot.
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 2881
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

lakpr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:25 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:56 pm What if you bought directly from a big box store like HD (and not indirectly through a contractor who also installs) ?
If you do buy from Home Depot or Lowe's directly, yes; but you may find that you will be paying higher price in net, compared with competition. My last water heater replacement fetched a $200 discount when bought and installed from my utility company, compared to out-the-door price + $150 installation price from Home Depot.
Thanks, that's very useful info. Although there may be regional variations, it makes sense that utilities might have better contact with installers in their local areas and might even get better deals on specific heater/furnace models than HD/Lowes.
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 2881
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

lakpr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:25 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:56 pm What if you bought directly from a big box store like HD (and not indirectly through a contractor who also installs) ?
If you do buy from Home Depot or Lowe's directly, yes; but you may find that you will be paying higher price in net, compared with competition. My last water heater replacement fetched a $200 discount when bought and installed from my utility company, compared to out-the-door price + $150 installation price from Home Depot.
I have another question.

Bank of America Cash Rewards has Home Improvements as a category one can choose. It seems like Home Contractors, renovators etc. are also included in this category. I currently get 5.25% back in my category of choice.

So even with a 2-3% surcharge, paying with a credit card may still work out if I set my category choice to Home Improvement (this can be changed only once per month, and I currently have it at gas) ?
Da5id
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Da5id »

For those that care, Q4 Chase Freedom categories are Paypal and Walmart. I found Paypal pretty easy to spend last holiday season, as many online vendors will take it.
czaj
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by czaj »

Da5id wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:51 pm For those that care, Q4 Chase Freedom categories are Paypal and Walmart. I found Paypal pretty easy to spend last holiday season, as many online vendors will take it.
For the Paypal 5% category, I've found that the best way for me is to just pay federal taxes using Paypal on payusatax.com. Simple to maximize the category and I don't need to bother with Paypal for anything else. (My wife and I have 4 Chase Freedoms between the two of us).
MrJedi
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by MrJedi »

You can also setup PayPal key (virtual card number) and link it to your Freedom. This will let the PayPal category apply anywhere you can type in a number to charge.
spammagnet
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by spammagnet »

MrJedi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:28 pm You can also setup PayPal key (virtual card number) ...
If Paypal will offer you one.
DrGrnTum
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by DrGrnTum »

czaj wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm
Da5id wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:51 pm For those that care, Q4 Chase Freedom categories are Paypal and Walmart. I found Paypal pretty easy to spend last holiday season, as many online vendors will take it.
For the Paypal 5% category, I've found that the best way for me is to just pay federal taxes using Paypal on payusatax.com. Simple to maximize the category and I don't need to bother with Paypal for anything else. (My wife and I have 4 Chase Freedoms between the two of us).
So when you pay your taxes with the 4 CFs with Paypal you are basically floating 6K until you get your money back from the IRS?
Did you do this last year?
Did it take a longer time than usual to get the money back?
I believe I read that some people that did this trick had to wait longer than usual to get their refund.
tj
Posts: 5374
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by tj »

DrGrnTum wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:06 pm
czaj wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm
Da5id wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:51 pm For those that care, Q4 Chase Freedom categories are Paypal and Walmart. I found Paypal pretty easy to spend last holiday season, as many online vendors will take it.
For the Paypal 5% category, I've found that the best way for me is to just pay federal taxes using Paypal on payusatax.com. Simple to maximize the category and I don't need to bother with Paypal for anything else. (My wife and I have 4 Chase Freedoms between the two of us).
So when you pay your taxes with the 4 CFs with Paypal you are basically floating 6K until you get your money back from the IRS?
Did you do this last year?
Did it take a longer time than usual to get the money back?
I believe I read that some people that did this trick had to wait longer than usual to get their refund.
I would imagine the intention of using it to pay taxes is to pay taxes, not to get a refund, although if you wanted the paper i bonds, you might as well get 5 % cash back on them.
MrJedi
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by MrJedi »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:33 pm
MrJedi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:28 pm You can also setup PayPal key (virtual card number) ...
If Paypal will offer you one.
It's not an offering/invitation thing as far as I know. Anybody with a Paypal account can get it. It does not require extra approval, etc.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/art ... ey-faq4332

There's a note that says they're bringing it to more customers, but it's fully rolled out from what I can tell.
czaj
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by czaj »

DrGrnTum wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:06 pm
czaj wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm
Da5id wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:51 pm For those that care, Q4 Chase Freedom categories are Paypal and Walmart. I found Paypal pretty easy to spend last holiday season, as many online vendors will take it.
For the Paypal 5% category, I've found that the best way for me is to just pay federal taxes using Paypal on payusatax.com. Simple to maximize the category and I don't need to bother with Paypal for anything else. (My wife and I have 4 Chase Freedoms between the two of us).
So when you pay your taxes with the 4 CFs with Paypal you are basically floating 6K until you get your money back from the IRS?
Did you do this last year?
Did it take a longer time than usual to get the money back?
I believe I read that some people that did this trick had to wait longer than usual to get their refund.
My intention is to pay taxes that I owe with the 4 CFs.

But I have overpaid a bit in the past, and the time waiting for refund was not egregious.
spammagnet
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by spammagnet »

MrJedi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:19 pmIt's not an offering/invitation thing as far as I know. Anybody with a Paypal account can get it. It does not require extra approval, etc. ...
If you can tell me how to get one I'd appreciate knowing but Paypal doesn't seem to offer it universally, yet.

Image
MrJedi
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by MrJedi »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 pm If you can tell me how to get one I'd appreciate knowing but Paypal doesn't seem to offer
Here's some more info:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/paypal-l ... aypal-key/

It does say you need to complete the extra level of identity verification, probably due to KYC/know your customer rule. This doesn't involve a hard credit check though.

This is apparently the direct link to sign up:
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/debitc ... =walletweb
spammagnet
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by spammagnet »

MrJedi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:51 pmHere's some more info:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/paypal-l ... aypal-key/

It does say you need to complete the extra level of identity verification, probably due to KYC/know your customer rule. This doesn't involve a hard credit check though.

This is apparently the direct link to sign up:
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/debitc ... =walletweb
The Paypal link gives the same result. Not available to me, yet. I'll explore the DOC page to see if I can get more information there.
Jags4186
Posts: 6247
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Jags4186 »

Does anyone have any info on the Chase Sapphire Preferred 3x online grocery benefit? Does it work only for services like Instacart? Or if I made an online purchase at my local grocery store (Shop Rite in my case) for curbside pickup would that qualify for 3x?
THY4373
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by THY4373 »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:00 pm The Paypal link gives the same result. Not available to me, yet. I'll explore the DOC page to see if I can get more information there.
I think new signups for PPK are suspended right now. I haven't seen anything official but I know some folks who already had it set up who tried to regenerate their PPK number who ended up locked out. The new number failed to generate and old number was terminated. I still have access but I set it up over a year ago. Personally I always wondered about the profitability of it since it would run as a debit card (usually at a lower to much lower interchange rate) but the back end would run as a credit card (at a higher interchange rate). It was never clear to me how PP was making any money off of it.
spammagnet
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by spammagnet »

THY4373 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:00 am… Personally I always wondered about the profitability of it since it would run as a debit card (usually at a lower to much lower interchange rate) but the back end would run as a credit card (at a higher interchange rate). It was never clear to me how PP was making any money off of it.
Yeah, that doesn't sound sustainable.
criticalmass
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by criticalmass »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:39 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am... Fight it from the inside out. Reduce the 25% tip to say 20%. ...
You're punishing the server who makes sub-minimum wage for the decisions of the business owner?
How is a 20% tip "punishing the server?"
spammagnet
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by spammagnet »

criticalmass wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:54 am
spammagnet wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:39 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am... Fight it from the inside out. Reduce the 25% tip to say 20%. ...
You're punishing the server who makes sub-minimum wage for the decisions of the business owner?
How is a 20% tip "punishing the server?"
Reducing the tip from 25% to 20% is a 20% decrease in that income.
criticalmass
Posts: 2223
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by criticalmass »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am
criticalmass wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:54 am
spammagnet wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:39 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am... Fight it from the inside out. Reduce the 25% tip to say 20%. ...
You're punishing the server who makes sub-minimum wage for the decisions of the business owner?
How is a 20% tip "punishing the server?"
Reducing the tip from 25% to 20% is a 20% decrease in that income.
\
If they weren't paid 25% in the first place, I'm not sure how you calculate a decrease.
"I was going to tip 1000%, but settled on customary* 15-20%. Sorry about the 98% loss... :)

Customary Tipping Reference Used: 15-20% for wait staff:
Emily Post: https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide
Reader's Digest: https://www.rd.com/article/how-much-to-tip
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 2881
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I was rejected for Citi Premium 2 months back.

Excellent credit, 4 new cards in the last 2 years, maybe 1 inquiry in the last 6 months. Very low credit utilization because I tend to pay off my CCs immediately. I think the rejection language on the web page (never got a letter) implied that I had been rejected for low credit utilization but I don't remember what it was exactly.

Any point applying again for Citi Premium now ? My utilization hasn't changed, but I think I'm now 3 new cards in 24 months. I am expecting some big expenses, so would like to make them count for a bonus. The Chase Marriott card is another possibility although I have 2 free nights at Marriott expiring in 2-3 months, so the free night from that card is useless to me.

I guess my question is more whether anyone has any idea why Citi Premium is so hard to get these days. [ I did look at flyertalk and it didn't seem to have a good answer either]
Jags4186
Posts: 6247
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Jags4186 »

I just signed up for the IHG Premier for the 150k bonus…only to find out that there’s a 150k + $50 bonus if you go through a dummy booking. You win some you lose some.
3000
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Re: Credit Card Recommendations

Post by 3000 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 pm
runner3081 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:25 am Fidelity 2% Cash Back Visa
+1. Also a Capital One Quicksilver 1.5% cash back card for international travel. (The Fidelity card has a foreign transaction fee, the Capital One card does not.)
State Department FCU's Premium Cash Back+ offers 2% cash back and does not have a foreign transaction fee. You can also set a PIN for the card to use overseas.
arsenal_fan
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by arsenal_fan »

Any thoughts on getting the British Airways Visa Signature® card specifically for the travel companion ticket?

We typically have an international trip every year (except these last two years obviously), so thinking of putting my monthly rent exclusively on this card despite the 3% fees to hit the $30000 per year spend and get the travel companion ticket. Currently, I pay for rent using my bank account but via this route I'll end up spending ~700 in extra fees on rent but the travel companion ticket will probably be worth more. It obviously kinda locks me into exclusively flying British and I'm just trying to understand if there's any hidden gotchas when it comes to taxes, fees, carrier charges and availability of travel companion seats.
dbr
Posts: 37901
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by dbr »

arsenal_fan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:13 pm Any thoughts on getting the British Airways Visa Signature® card specifically for the travel companion ticket?

We typically have an international trip every year (except these last two years obviously), so thinking of putting my monthly rent exclusively on this card despite the 3% fees to hit the $30000 per year spend and get the travel companion ticket. Currently, I pay for rent using my bank account but via this route I'll end up spending ~700 in extra fees on rent but the travel companion ticket will probably be worth more. It obviously kinda locks me into exclusively flying British and I'm just trying to understand if there's any hidden gotchas when it comes to taxes, fees, carrier charges and availability of travel companion seats.
See if this search of the BA forum on Flyertalk is helpful: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search. ... -ticket%22
THY4373
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by THY4373 »

arsenal_fan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:13 pm Any thoughts on getting the British Airways Visa Signature® card specifically for the travel companion ticket?

We typically have an international trip every year (except these last two years obviously), so thinking of putting my monthly rent exclusively on this card despite the 3% fees to hit the $30000 per year spend and get the travel companion ticket. Currently, I pay for rent using my bank account but via this route I'll end up spending ~700 in extra fees on rent but the travel companion ticket will probably be worth more. It obviously kinda locks me into exclusively flying British and I'm just trying to understand if there's any hidden gotchas when it comes to taxes, fees, carrier charges and availability of travel companion seats.
I have used the companion vouchers in the past but I am no longer a fan of them but I'll admit they may be of use to some. Unless the rules have changed the vouchers can only be used for points bookings from US (either one way US to XX or round trip from US). The issues I have with the vouchers are several. One BA charges significant (some would say insane surcharges) basically $1400-1500 (business) and $1800 (first) round trip long haul per person. The surcharges are less for most other countries (i.e. a round trip from UK or EU has lower surcharges, effectively BA is sticking to North Americans). The surcharges are a lot less on long haul economy but are often close in price to a discount cash ticket. Two BA has a distance based chart and so while Europe is a reasonable points cost other places the voucher is usable get really pricey points-wise quick. Three voucher is only good on BA metal so that means ex-US you are travelling via London. Which is not my favorite airport and, obviously, not the best way to get to certain places (Latin America, Asia). The other problem with BA metal at least for business is that BA has a great new business class product and a horrible old product and the latter is made worse because they will charge you for seat assignments unless you are an elite even in business. Four the vouchers made a little more sense before they raised the surcharges and when first class was widely available. These days BA First is almost unobtainium. BA business availability though is quite good you should not have too much trouble finding two ore more seats in any class up through business.

There are a few tricks to make the vouchers a bit better. One the Chase card refunds I think $100-200 of the surcharges depending on class booked and you can (as documented on Flyertalk) book a one way from the US and then separately (if you have the points) book a return from outside US and then call into BA to have them attach that to your voucher which will refund the points and allow you to book the return at the lower outside of US surcharge rate.

The TL;DR is if you are looking for what is effectively a discount business ticket to Europe it might be ok (or if you luck out and get first). For anything else not and I certainly wouldn't be paying 3% to generate spend to earn this and BA points at 1x.

As an aside using other Oneworld carriers can get you BA flights with much smaller surcharges which is what I do these days. I am flying with my son in BA first one way next year and BA club suites return (the good business class return). I actually let my last voucher expire unused a couple of years ago because it was more cost effective for me to book BA using another carriers points.
arsenal_fan
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by arsenal_fan »

THY4373 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:11 pm
arsenal_fan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:13 pm Any thoughts on getting the British Airways Visa Signature® card specifically for the travel companion ticket?

We typically have an international trip every year (except these last two years obviously), so thinking of putting my monthly rent exclusively on this card despite the 3% fees to hit the $30000 per year spend and get the travel companion ticket. Currently, I pay for rent using my bank account but via this route I'll end up spending ~700 in extra fees on rent but the travel companion ticket will probably be worth more. It obviously kinda locks me into exclusively flying British and I'm just trying to understand if there's any hidden gotchas when it comes to taxes, fees, carrier charges and availability of travel companion seats.
I have used the companion vouchers in the past but I am no longer a fan of them but I'll admit they may be of use to some. Unless the rules have changed the vouchers can only be used for points bookings from US (either one way US to XX or round trip from US). The issues I have with the vouchers are several. One BA charges significant (some would say insane surcharges) basically $1400-1500 (business) and $1800 (first) round trip long haul per person. The surcharges are less for most other countries (i.e. a round trip from UK or EU has lower surcharges, effectively BA is sticking to North Americans). The surcharges are a lot less on long haul economy but are often close in price to a discount cash ticket. Two BA has a distance based chart and so while Europe is a reasonable points cost other places the voucher is usable get really pricey points-wise quick. Three voucher is only good on BA metal so that means ex-US you are travelling via London. Which is not my favorite airport and, obviously, not the best way to get to certain places (Latin America, Asia). The other problem with BA metal at least for business is that BA has a great new business class product and a horrible old product and the latter is made worse because they will charge you for seat assignments unless you are an elite even in business. Four the vouchers made a little more sense before they raised the surcharges and when first class was widely available. These days BA First is almost unobtainium. BA business availability though is quite good you should not have too much trouble finding two ore more seats in any class up through business.

There are a few tricks to make the vouchers a bit better. One the Chase card refunds I think $100-200 of the surcharges depending on class booked and you can (as documented on Flyertalk) book a one way from the US and then separately (if you have the points) book a return from outside US and then call into BA to have them attach that to your voucher which will refund the points and allow you to book the return at the lower outside of US surcharge rate.

The TL;DR is if you are looking for what is effectively a discount business ticket to Europe it might be ok (or if you luck out and get first). For anything else not and I certainly wouldn't be paying 3% to generate spend to earn this and BA points at 1x.

As an aside using other Oneworld carriers can get you BA flights with much smaller surcharges which is what I do these days. I am flying with my son in BA first one way next year and BA club suites return (the good business class return). I actually let my last voucher expire unused a couple of years ago because it was more cost effective for me to book BA using another carriers points.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response. Those surcharges are crazy. Not going to apply for it now.
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I'm applying for cards that I'd like to keep for the long-run that offer bonuses as well as 0% introductory rates. I'll be making the minimum payments until the 0% promo rate is about to expire and then will pay off the balance in full. Due to the current inflation rate, I'm now carrying a balance - something I haven't done before.

For example, I recently applied for a Citi Custom Cash Card. I charged $1k for some Disneyland tickets and that generates a $300 bonus in cash back (I believe the typical bonus offer is $200 for this card but I received an invitation in the mail for a slightly higher bonus). I'll also charge my groceries on the card and earn 5% cash back (up to $500 of charges per month in one's highest spending category earn that percentage). There is no annual fee on the card either.

I'll pay for those Disneyland tickets and grocery store purchases in 15 months, right as the 0% is about to end. I've put a reminder on my calendar to do that in February 2023. The higher that inflation runs until then, the less the credit card company will eventually end up getting. My wife will be applying for the same credit card soon as well (she received an invitation in the mail too).
User avatar
Rainier
Posts: 1604
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 am

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Rainier »

Thinking about dropping the AMEX Gold and putting all my spend on the Chase TriFecta.

I know MR points are worth a lot but I have a hard time maximizing value since I do not take expensive flights with miles. That game is just too hard to play with a family of four generally travelling in high demand times. The $10 dining and $10 Uber credits mostly go to waste each month since, you know, I don't live in a city. So if I am cashing out points for 1 cent each the $250 is a high hurdle to beat just putting groceries and dining on that card.

...And doing that seems to cannibalize my Chase points (CSR, Freedom (x2), and Freedom Unlimited). With the 1.5x multiplier on pay yourself back at Chase I am effectively getting 2.25% on everyday spend, 4.5% on dining and travel, 4.5% at drug stores, 7.5% on rotating categories.

Any thoughts on this? Honestly, I like the Gold card in my wallet but I know it's not worth it for me. Dropping the $100 airline fee credit was probably the end of it for me.
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6224
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

Rainier wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:03 am Thinking about dropping the AMEX Gold and putting all my spend on the Chase TriFecta.

I know MR points are worth a lot but I have a hard time maximizing value since I do not take expensive flights with miles. That game is just too hard to play with a family of four generally travelling in high demand times. The $10 dining and $10 Uber credits mostly go to waste each month since, you know, I don't live in a city. So if I am cashing out points for 1 cent each the $250 is a high hurdle to beat just putting groceries and dining on that card.

...And doing that seems to cannibalize my Chase points (CSR, Freedom (x2), and Freedom Unlimited). With the 1.5x multiplier on pay yourself back at Chase I am effectively getting 2.25% on everyday spend, 4.5% on dining and travel, 4.5% at drug stores, 7.5% on rotating categories.

Any thoughts on this? Honestly, I like the Gold card in my wallet but I know it's not worth it for me. Dropping the $100 airline fee credit was probably the end of it for me.
Don't forget to add the 5x points at office depot/staples to buy gift cards for other big box stores using the chase ink cash card.
Last year we bought about $15k worth of materials from home depot. All went on Home depot gift cards bought from Staples. Effectively giving us 7.5% off. Thats $1125 with very little effort. I also buy $300-$500 amazon gift card every so often and refill my amazon account. Eventually they get used and I replace also effectively giving me 7.5%
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
madbrain
Posts: 5856
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by madbrain »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 pm Don't forget to add the 5x points at office depot/staples to buy gift cards for other big box stores using the chase ink cash card.
Last year we bought about $15k worth of materials from home depot. All went on Home depot gift cards bought from Staples. Effectively giving us 7.5% off. Thats $1125 with very little effort. I also buy $300-$500 amazon gift card every so often and refill my amazon account. Eventually they get used and I replace also effectively giving me 7.5%
Are you able to buy any of these gift cards online ? And what about the fees ? Last time I bought gift cards, it was for manufactured spending, and there were fees involved with VGC, etc. What happens if you have a return/refund ? Does money go back on the gift card ?
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6224
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

madbrain wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:23 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 pm Don't forget to add the 5x points at office depot/staples to buy gift cards for other big box stores using the chase ink cash card.
Last year we bought about $15k worth of materials from home depot. All went on Home depot gift cards bought from Staples. Effectively giving us 7.5% off. Thats $1125 with very little effort. I also buy $300-$500 amazon gift card every so often and refill my amazon account. Eventually they get used and I replace also effectively giving me 7.5%
Are you able to buy any of these gift cards online ? And what about the fees ? Last time I bought gift cards, it was for manufactured spending, and there were fees involved with VGC, etc. What happens if you have a return/refund ? Does money go back on the gift card ?
No, you can’t buy them online.
No there is no fee.
There is a office supply store right near where I work and in my case there is one right near the Home Depot which worked out great.

I doubt I would be doing this if there was tons of effort behind it.

As for visa gift cards there is a fee though ever so often they have deals where the fee is removed or reduced. I used to get those, but i realized it was too much effort for my time spent and stopped.

I don’t use this to buy things I may return because, yes it would go back to the gift card. Not a big deal for Amazon though.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ZinCO
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by ZinCO »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:16 pm
madbrain wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:23 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 pm Don't forget to add the 5x points at office depot/staples to buy gift cards for other big box stores using the chase ink cash card.
Last year we bought about $15k worth of materials from home depot. All went on Home depot gift cards bought from Staples. Effectively giving us 7.5% off. Thats $1125 with very little effort. I also buy $300-$500 amazon gift card every so often and refill my amazon account. Eventually they get used and I replace also effectively giving me 7.5%
Are you able to buy any of these gift cards online ? And what about the fees ? Last time I bought gift cards, it was for manufactured spending, and there were fees involved with VGC, etc. What happens if you have a return/refund ? Does money go back on the gift card ?
No, you can’t buy them online.
No there is no fee.
There is a office supply store right near where I work and in my case there is one right near the Home Depot which worked out great.

I doubt I would be doing this if there was tons of effort behind it.

As for visa gift cards there is a fee though ever so often they have deals where the fee is removed or reduced. I used to get those, but i realized it was too much effort for my time spent and stopped.

I don’t use this to buy things I may return because, yes it would go back to the gift card. Not a big deal for Amazon though.
You can buy Home Depot (and Lowe's) online from Staples for 5x, but not Amazon.
madbrain
Posts: 5856
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by madbrain »

ZinCO wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:31 pm You can buy Home Depot (and Lowe's) online from Staples for 5x, but not Amazon.
Thanks. Have you tried buying from staples.com with the Ink Cash to see if it coded correctly for 5x ?
EnjoyIt
Posts: 6224
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by EnjoyIt »

ZinCO wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:31 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:16 pm
madbrain wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:23 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 pm Don't forget to add the 5x points at office depot/staples to buy gift cards for other big box stores using the chase ink cash card.
Last year we bought about $15k worth of materials from home depot. All went on Home depot gift cards bought from Staples. Effectively giving us 7.5% off. Thats $1125 with very little effort. I also buy $300-$500 amazon gift card every so often and refill my amazon account. Eventually they get used and I replace also effectively giving me 7.5%
Are you able to buy any of these gift cards online ? And what about the fees ? Last time I bought gift cards, it was for manufactured spending, and there were fees involved with VGC, etc. What happens if you have a return/refund ? Does money go back on the gift card ?
No, you can’t buy them online.
No there is no fee.
There is a office supply store right near where I work and in my case there is one right near the Home Depot which worked out great.

I doubt I would be doing this if there was tons of effort behind it.

As for visa gift cards there is a fee though ever so often they have deals where the fee is removed or reduced. I used to get those, but i realized it was too much effort for my time spent and stopped.

I don’t use this to buy things I may return because, yes it would go back to the gift card. Not a big deal for Amazon though.
You can buy Home Depot (and Lowe's) online from Staples for 5x, but not Amazon.
Thanks for the clarification.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ZinCO
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by ZinCO »

madbrain wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:09 pm
ZinCO wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:31 pm You can buy Home Depot (and Lowe's) online from Staples for 5x, but not Amazon.
Thanks. Have you tried buying from staples.com with the Ink Cash to see if it coded correctly for 5x ?
Absolutely. Especially when they are discounted (which Lowe's frequently is, but Home Depot almost never; gift card sales were much more frequent 2 years ago than they are now though). I buy about $10k/year through staples.com on my Ink Cash and Ink Plus.
Post Reply