Costco - requesting a delayed delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
teaman

Costco - requesting a delayed delivery

Post by teaman »

Is it possible to make the payment now but request a delayed delivery (i.e. hold the item) for a couple months on bulky items like W/D and refrigerator at Costco? I don't have room to accommodate them at my current place.
bob60014

Re: Costco - requesting a delayed delivery

Post by bob60014 »

Maybe. What did they tell you when you called them?
Topic Author
teaman

Post by teaman »

They said it's not possible to hold on to items at the warehouse. Items will be delivered as they are available. Wondering what other's experience was, and if it's worth making another call to talk to another agent.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

No, I don't think it is. You're asking them to hold warehouse space for you - i.e. give you free storage.
BigFatBreakfast

Post by BigFatBreakfast »

A couple months would be pushing it. I’ve had the local home delivery hold it for 3-4 weeks. The order was placed on Costco, then was delivered to the local home delivery service and when they called to schedule delivery I asked for the last possible date and they were able to accommodate it.
Topic Author
teaman

Post by teaman »

BigFatBreakfast wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 am A couple months would be pushing it. I’ve had the local home delivery hold it for 3-4 weeks. The order was placed on Costco, then was delivered to the local home delivery service and when they called to schedule delivery I asked for the last possible date and they were able to accommodate it.
What exactly is local home delivery, you mean the local Costco warehouse?
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

BigFatBreakfast wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 am A couple months would be pushing it. I’ve had the local home delivery hold it for 3-4 weeks. The order was placed on Costco, then was delivered to the local home delivery service and when they called to schedule delivery I asked for the last possible date and they were able to accommodate it.
This. Costco actually ships your large freight order to a local delivery company, and that company stores the order until the day of delivery/installation. If you keep pushing out the installation date, you can get about a month of delay. After 30 days they are pretty stringent about shipping the order back to Costco and you getting a full refund.
Topic Author
teaman

Post by teaman »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:39 am This. Costco actually ships your large freight order to a local delivery company, and that company stores the order until the day of delivery/installation. If you keep pushing out the installation date, you can get about a month of delay. After 30 days they are pretty stringent about shipping the order back to Costco and you getting a full refund.
So I will get the local delivery company contact after placing the order, and then I can call them to push out the installation date by ~30 days. That's good to know. Thanks!
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

I love Costco, we spend $15k+ annually there. However certain things I always support the local retailer, appliances are one of those things. Your local appliance retailer will often price match or get very close to the big box prices. They absolutely will service those items better than any big box could. In fact, the local company very likely is contracted with the OEM to service items sold by the big box; albeit at a secondary priority to their direct customer. Last, a local retailer we definitely work with you on delivery date.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

DoubleComma wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 am I love Costco, we spend $15k+ annually there. However certain things I always support the local retailer, appliances are one of those things. Your local appliance retailer will often price match or get very close to the big box prices. They absolutely will service those items better than any big box could. In fact, the local company very likely is contracted with the OEM to service items sold by the big box; albeit at a secondary priority to their direct customer. Last, a local retailer we definitely work with you on delivery date.
I wish this were universally true but our recent experience demonstrates it's not. We wanted a simple garage refrigerator/freezer; nothing fancy like french doors or stainless steel, just regular white freezer-on-top fridge with no bells and whistles.

Costco had a unit meeting our needs (21.9 cuft GE) for $849.99. We get 2% off that, but even ignoring that, Costco has a 2 year warranty and 90 day return policy. Shipping and delivery/installation is free.

Local shop: $1,149 is the lowest price for identical capacity (21.9) GE unit, many units in the 21s for 1099 and up. Warranty is the bog standard 1 year. Delivery is $60 even from local warehouse.

Local shop offers a price match but of course it has to be the exact SKU and everyone plays these games now where the ice maker is 3 watt instead of 3.5 watt so the Costco model is different and not eligible.

I would love to support small businesses too and do so whenever I reasonably can, but in this recent instance, I don't see a reason to pay $360 more (not factoring in the Costco rebate) to get less. Could I negotiate? Probably, but that takes effort and time; I can order from Costco in three clicks. I wish the local place had tried to be competitive enough to make me willing to spend the time to negotiate but when you're that far off, I'd rather not even waste my breath, you know?
talzara

Post by talzara »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:39 am Costco actually ships your large freight order to a local delivery company, and that company stores the order until the day of delivery/installation. If you keep pushing out the installation date, you can get about a month of delay. After 30 days they are pretty stringent about shipping the order back to Costco and you getting a full refund.
Costco owns its own white glove delivery service. It purchased Innovel, which used to be Sears Logistics. It may be using other delivery services in less densely populated areas.

Rapid inventory turnover is part of the Costco business model. It does not like to hold inventory for months and months.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

DoubleComma wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 am I love Costco, we spend $15k+ annually there. However certain things I always support the local retailer, appliances are one of those things. Your local appliance retailer will often price match or get very close to the big box prices. They absolutely will service those items better than any big box could. In fact, the local company very likely is contracted with the OEM to service items sold by the big box; albeit at a secondary priority to their direct customer. Last, a local retailer we definitely work with you on delivery date.
I would agree except that this year the supply chain is messed up and it seems like big box stores have priority. Fair or not I don't know, but several appliance stores literally laughed at me on the phone when I called to ask what fridges they actually had in stock. Was told nobody could get me a fridge of any kind for months and not to bother calling around. Costco, on the other hand, had plenty in stock and delivered in two days.