Transfer account before major holiday?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
KeepingEyesOpen

Transfer account before major holiday?

Post by KeepingEyesOpen »

I am finally ready for the final step to transfer my Vanguard brokerage account (revocable trust account) to Fidelity. Today is Wed, Nov. 24, the day before Thanksgiving. Should I wait until Monday to avoid potential holiday/weekend-related administrative problem?

The new account at Fidelity is set up and confirmed, outside bank account linked, online access set up, etc. The only remaining step is to finalize the partially-completed transfer of assets form and submit.
Last edited by KeepingEyesOpen on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exodusNH

Re: Transfer account before major holiday?

Post by exodusNH »

KeepingEyesOpen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 pm I am finally ready for the final step to transfer my Vanguard brokerage account (revocable trust account) to Fidelity. Today is Wed, Nov. 24, the day before Thanksgiving. Should I wait until Monday to avoid potential holiday/weekend-related administrative problem?

The new account at Fidelity is set up and confirmed, outside bank account linked, online access set up, etc.
The data transfer should be mostly automated (ACATS.) I think if people needed to get involved, it wouldn't really matter whether you start it now or a in a few days. If it winds up being fully automated, you'll get it transferred faster. If it winds up needing manual intervention, you'll be ahead in the line. There's lots of year-end activity at brokerages. The sooner you kick these things off, the better.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

It might take a couple extra days if someone needs to look at it and they're not there on Th/Fr, but it would take those two extra days and more if you wait until next week... I'd just do it now, personally. Best.
dual

Post by dual »

KISS — I would wait until the A team gets back on monday.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

dual wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 pm KISS — I would wait until the A team gets back on monday.
Transfers (TOA) are a specific department, if they are out of the office nobody else can do it
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

I’d get the request in the queue now.
Investors need to be better informed about the costs they pay. “High fund fees can be hazardous to your wealth in the same way that high calories can be hazardous for your health.”