Does UAL offer gift cards?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Does UAL offer gift cards?

Post by catdude »

Howdy y'all -

Does anyone out there know if United Airlines (UAL) offers gift cards? I've scoured their website, and danged if I can find any mention of gift cards or gift certificates. I'd like to get one for my niece for Christmas... she and her family live in Denver (a major UAL hub). I know she'd use it.

Delta Airlines sells gift cards; I know cuz I've seen them mentioned in their advertising. Why not United (evidently)?
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
Batguano

Re: Does UAL offer gift cards?

Post by Batguano »

UAL stands for “U Ain’t Leavin” so good luck with gift card. :confused :idea: :beer
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

They have/had a program called TravelBank but it's on and off and does not accept new balances anymore

https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

They sometimes sell gift cards through United MileagePlusX which is some kind of shopping app, but I don't think they're selling them at present.

Your best source of current information on airline gift cards is the points-and-miles blogging community. Several years ago, when folk were buying gift cards to use up their American Express airline incidentals credits, the bloggers reported that you could do it on American, Delta, and Southwest, but not on United — because United, at that time, had shut down its gift card program completely, apparently to avoid the abuse. I'm not sure what the current situation is, but you should consult the Doctor of Credit blog for the best information.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Batguano wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:11 am UAL stands for “U Ain’t Leavin” so good luck with gift card. :confused :idea: :beer
Not to mention have your guitar broken, your puppy killed, and get beaten bloody and dragged off the plane to make space for their employees. People here complain about Vanguard's customer service...
02nz

Post by 02nz »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:02 am They have/had a program called TravelBank but it's on and off and does not accept new balances anymore

https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash
It does accept new balances, but I'm not sure you can buy it for someone else (without having their MileagePlus login). This used to be possible as a "registry" of sorts, but I think they got rid of that.

One workaround for OP would be to buy it and put the money into his own TravelBank, but to do the booking for the niece. TravelBank funds are valid for any traveler, not just the MP account holder.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:53 am They sometimes sell gift cards through United MileagePlusX which is some kind of shopping app, but I don't think they're selling them at present.

Your best source of current information on airline gift cards is the points-and-miles blogging community. Several years ago, when folk were buying gift cards to use up their American Express airline incidentals credits, the bloggers reported that you could do it on American, Delta, and Southwest, but not on United — because United, at that time, had shut down its gift card program completely, apparently to avoid the abuse. I'm not sure what the current situation is, but you should consult the Doctor of Credit blog for the best information.
I very much doubt that they shut it down to "avoid abuse." United was getting cash (and not even having to provide services right away), and Amex was eating the cost. As soon as the pandemic hit and they needed cash again, the system was back up and running, which it still is.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

I think United Vacations offers gift cards
bberris

Post by bberris »

They accept Visa gift cards. You can also buy a ticket for anyone, you don't have to be a flyer on the booking.