Should I consider relocating for this job?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
anon_investor

Re: Should I consider relocating for this job?

Post by anon_investor »

edge wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:01 pm No. This is not worth it
+1. Based on the OP's additional info.
Watty

Post by Watty »

wojo8625 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:04 pm I would be moving from a 401K to pension. Seems like a better plan, as long as I am there for at least five years.
Many if not most(most likely nearly all) companies that have a pension also have a 401k, but there may not be an employer match.

If they do not have a 401k then it would have to be a real lucrative position for me to go to work for them.

You are in you 40s now so if you work there for 5 years to fully vest in the pension then leave the value of the pension may not be worth very much since your monthly pension payment when you are 65 would likely not be adjusted for inflation.

I would suggest picking out a couple of cities that you could be excited about moving to and focus on finding a job in one of those cities. I did that when I was about 30 and it worked out very well for me.
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

Family and friends are golden. I am reading the Blue Zones of Happiness right now and the places in the world where people are happiest is where they are close to family and friends. Even an hour away from family is much different than having them in the same city. Speaking from experience, your once a month trips are doable and worthwhile, but just stay there and wait for a better job which you love and hang with your friends.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

I turned them down. i was going to ask for top dollar plus relo but I would have felt bad (for them and myself for wasting my own time and money) if they were to extend an offer and I turned them down.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

Watty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm Many if not most(most likely nearly all) companies that have a pension also have a 401k, but there may not be an employer match.

If they do not have a 401k then it would have to be a real lucrative position for me to go to work for them.

You are in you 40s now so if you work there for 5 years to fully vest in the pension then leave the value of the pension may not be worth very much since your monthly pension payment when you are 65 would likely not be adjusted for inflation.

They have a 457, not a 401. Sorry if I mistyped that above. Anyway, good point regarding the pension. If I were to stay 15-20 years then it would be more lucrative, but again, that would be a long time at one place. Of course it's best to start a pension when young.
Watty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pmI would suggest picking out a couple of cities that you could be excited about moving to and focus on finding a job in one of those cities. I did that when I was about 30 and it worked out very well for me.
This is going to be tough. I have 5-6 different cities that I'm considering. I rated each city against different criteria and they all rate pretty similar as far as total ratings go. I guess I need to work harder at narrowing down my list further.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

Wenonah wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:39 am Family and friends are golden. I am reading the Blue Zones of Happiness right now and the places in the world where people are happiest is where they are close to family and friends. Even an hour away from family is much different than having them in the same city. Speaking from experience, your once a month trips are doable and worthwhile, but just stay there and wait for a better job which you love and hang with your friends.
Good points, although sometimes I think it may not be a bad thing to be at least an hour away from family. :happy
Watty

Post by Watty »

wojo8625 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 am This is going to be tough. I have 5-6 different cities that I'm considering. I rated each city against different criteria and they all rate pretty similar as far as total ratings go. I guess I need to work harder at narrowing down my list further.
It was not clear if you have actually been to those cites or not. If you do not take this job then you should really take some long weekends and go visit the cities to see them in person and you may find one that seems a lot more desirable to you.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

wojo8625 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 am
Watty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm Many if not most(most likely nearly all) companies that have a pension also have a 401k, but there may not be an employer match.

They have a 457, not a 401. Sorry if I mistyped that above. Anyway, good point regarding the pension. If I were to stay 15-20 years then it would be more lucrative, but again, that would be a long time at one place. Of course it's best to start a pension when young.
Watty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pmI would suggest picking out a couple of cities that you could be excited about moving to and focus on finding a job in one of those cities. I did that when I was about 30 and it worked out very well for me.
This is going to be tough. I have 5-6 different cities that I'm considering. I rated each city against different criteria and they all rate pretty similar as far as total ratings go. I guess I need to work harder at narrowing down my list further.
Feel free to post the list of different cities you're considering. There is a crazy amount of great info to be had on this board, assuming you aren't personally super familiar with each location.
Topic Author
wojo8625

Post by wojo8625 »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 pm
wojo8625 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 am

Feel free to post the list of different cities you're considering. There is a crazy amount of great info to be had on this board, assuming you aren't personally super familiar with each location.
Cincinnati
Knoxville, TN
Chicago
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Madison, WI
Indianapolis
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I've never spent more than a week in any of those locations, responding in the hopes that someone with more useful info will see the thread and respond for you.

For my uninformed opinion that you should take with a huge grain of salt:
Cincinnati
Knoxville, TN
Chicago
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Madison, WI
Indianapolis

I'd personally cross Las Vegas and Phoenix off. I like water and large urban areas in a desert doesn't seem like a great idea to me.
I'd cross off Madison off because if I'm moving it would certainly not be to somewhere as cold or colder than where I live now.
I'd cross Chicago off because my personality doesn't fit with a metro area of 10 million people.

That would leave me with Cincinnati, Knoxville, and Indianapolis to pick from. I'd personally lean towards Knoxville. Tennessee would be appealing to me as a state, and a smaller college city is more to my tastes. From your list I would guess that doesn't necessarily describe your tastes. There's definitly a broad range for sizes and geographics in your list.