How much do you spend nightly for hotels (leisure/vacation)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ponyboy

Re: How much do you spend nightly for hotels (leisure/vacation)?

Post by ponyboy »

Depends where you are going. Between $120-$300.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:04 pm This thread is becoming more about the differences in how people travel than their hotel budgets.
Summary of thread so far: "It depends."

That said, I think there are many good insights into the different way people think about and execute vacation lodging.

I am highly amused by the people who say both:
"It's just a bed for the night" and "I want something clean, safe, well-located, and with a few amenities I particularly prize, but for cheap".
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tooluser wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:04 pm This thread is becoming more about the differences in how people travel than their hotel budgets.
"It's just a bed for the night" and "I want something clean, safe, well-located, and with a few amenities I particularly prize, but for cheap".
With the exception of the amenities part, how are those statements contradictory? Clean, safe, and not too from the plans the next day and I'm good; amenities are a different story (and of little value) to me. I grew up Boyle Heights and worked in Sunnyside (Houston) for 4yrs, my threshold for "safe" is certainly lower than the average person but I've stayed in places while young and traveling alone that I would never want my wife or kids to be in.
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

tooluser wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 pm
Summary of thread so far: "It depends."

That said, I think there are many good insights into the different way people think about and execute vacation lodging.

My summary of this thread is similar to many threads I read on Bogleheads and that is "I want VALUE for my money". Most seem to agree that the lowest end of the spectrum is not something they consider and they only stay at the high-end if the hotel is part of the vacation itself. It does seem that the middle ground is where many posters land although that ground can range drastically in price depending on location.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

I travel for a living, mostly stay at IHG properties because they are everywhere, and have greatly expanded their brands.

I have over a million points with IHG so I can stay anywhere for free, hard to get motivated to spend $300 a night when you can have even better options for nothing.

I have points with other brands as a backup, but mostly get rooms for my kids (adults) so they can stay a prime properties on vacations.

The hotel location options within a brand change over time, so the place you loved to stay at on the beach will change owners and leave the group. But new ones come on all the time, so you get fresh options.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Usually the net cost is <$100/night even during peak periods - but only because I make heavy use of promotions, points, elite status, etc. I tend toward Category 3 properties.

I expect my costs to go up in the future however as COVID related hotel brand promotions dissipate.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Barefootgirl wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:22 am Usually the net cost is <$100/night even during peak periods - but only because I make heavy use of promotions, points, elite status, etc. I tend toward Category 3 properties.

I expect my costs to go up in the future however as COVID related hotel brand promotions dissipate.
What is a "category 3" property? I don't know if I've ever heard of this.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Workaholic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:51 am
Barefootgirl wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:22 am I tend toward Category 3 properties.
What is a "category 3" property? I don't know if I've ever heard of this.
Properties with sustained winds between 111 and 129 miles-per-hour?
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
euphonious

Post by euphonious »

Prices vary a lot by location. Low end is typically $150 - $200, high end $500 - $700. When I travel by myself I tend to favor the cheaper options. Most I've spent at a single hotel was a little over $2,000 per night for 4 nights, but that was a rare occasion and will probably never happen again.
Last edited by euphonious on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

For me, I would spend as little as possible to stay in a hotel chain location that is highly rated. That’s typically anywhere from $70-$150 per night. The significant other, she would pay from $200-$600 per night. I very rarely find value in paying more than $150/night. To me, a hotel room is just to sleep in. I very rarely use the pool or other hotel amenities.
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

If I'm, traveling domestically and it is simply a place to stay then about $100-$200 a night. For international travel I find it is usually $150 - 300/ night to find a place in the location I want with some American style basics (air conditioning that I can control, high pressure showers).

For special occasions I can go higher. Spent a few lovely nights at a great property in Charleston, SC that was worth every bit of the $400+/per night we spent.

Once stayed in a $700/night Ritz in NYC. The cold milk and freshly baked cookies delivered to our room in the evening was nice but not $700 nice. Fortunately we didn't pay for it.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Generally, as little as possible. I am most likely only going to be in there to sleep. If the locations is good, I don't have to push the bed against the door for security and the other rooms aren't being rented out by the hour the place is probably good enough for me.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

The major brands tend to rate their properties by categories, usually 1 to 7 or 1 to 5.

Generally speaking,

Categories, 7,6, sometimes 5, tend to be luxe resorts with full service and all amenities.

Categories 5 or 4 tend to be large, well appointed conference hotels or fancy downtown city digs....Hyatt Regency in locations with healthy demand would be one example or possibly Park Hyatt.

Category 3, as it sounds, is mid range, oriented toward families and business travelers with an eye toward comfort and safety and a reasonable amount of amenities. Many Category 3 properties are found in business parks or very close to airports. Examples: Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Hyatt House

Categories 2 and 1 are basic properties, often catering to people who need simple accomodation for a night or two.

Again generally speaking, properties at Category 3 or above will offer better security, cleanliness, functioning features, more maintenance inspections to keep the rooms in good shape, etc.

Sometimes brands will mess with the category ratings - example a lackluster older hotel that is located in an in-demand location - they will bump the rating... ratings also matter to travelers who earn free night certificates - the certificates will state a specific category range they are eligible for.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:04 pm
RXfiles wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:21 pm
runner3081 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:50 pm
RXfiles wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:35 pm
runner3081 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:01 pm We stopped visiting hotels about 5-years ago. It is all Airbnb now. We try not to exceed $175 per night.
I think everyone does that now driving the prices of Airbnbs way up. Unless you want to stay in someone's extra bed room hotels are cheaper than airbnbs a lot of the time
I haven’t seen that with prices being higher than hotels. They are definitely creeping up, but when you factor in cheaper food costs due to cooking and not eating out, it looks even better for Airbnb.
Well yeah if you eat in and get an airbnb further out from the main attractions its cheaper. I just mean equivalent places to stay. Like an airbnb condo on the beach is about the same as a hotel. Sometimes more. The cleaning fees at airbnbs are tough for short stays too.
On the California coast where we go, we can't find hotels within 1-2 blocks of the beach, but plenty of Airbnb.
Fascinating. I would never use an airbnb in the LA area for example. Way too expensive. And the Airbnb’s look very sketchy. Otherwise just stick with actual B&Bs. Definitely think Airbnb is a ripoff.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

Workaholic wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:23 am
backpacker61 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:25 am $24-$40 for a backpacker hostel
I imagine you're single? I can't imagine staying with a SO or family at a hostel...
We have stayed in hostels with kids. HI hostels on Cape Cod we’re way cheaper than any other lodging. Most places have private rooms either with a private bath or a bath a short walk away.

So far this year my nights away have been 6 as a houseguest, 14 in my tent, 7 in my camper, 22 in hotels, and 2 in a hostel. We scored a great rate in a boutique hotel near my IL’s for thanksgiving so we are escaping their basement packed with 8 people including 4 teenage boys. :mrgreen:

I like to mix up price points and styles. I would like to use Airbnb more often but since many of my stays are short the cleaning fees discourages me. I love the idea of 4-6 weeks in an Airbnb in Mexico.
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

I'm a full convert to Airbnb. I always check there first by default unless I'm staying in a national park with no nearby accommodations. I once visited Granada in the off-season and stayed in a newly renovated apartment in the center of town with a retired couple. It was gorgeous, had laundry, a full kitchen, etc. The couple made me breakfast and even drove me around the area, taking me to their favorite local spots. It cost me $30 per night! How can a hotel possibly compete with all of that?
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

nimo956 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:47 am I'm a full convert to Airbnb. I always check there first by default unless I'm staying in a national park with no nearby accommodations. I once visited Granada in the off-season and stayed in a newly renovated apartment in the center of town with a retired couple. It was gorgeous, had laundry, a full kitchen, etc. The couple made me breakfast and even drove me around the area, taking me to their favorite local spots. It cost me $30 per night! How can a hotel possibly compete with all of that?
Room service, spa, fitness center, turn-down service, concierge, restaurant on-site.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

When I saw this thread pop up, I thought I remembered posting in it, but couldn't see my post. A forum search revealed another almost identical thread from this year:

How much do you spend on a hotel per night on a family vacation?

I did post in that thread, so that can serve as my contribution to this one.
It's "Roth", not "ROTH". Senator William Roth was a person, not an acronym.
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

In recent years I’ve paid from $2/night (in fairly rural Laos) up to $300/ night in a US resort.

I love to travel and these days I aim to do so about 15 weeks a year with a $15,000 annual budget which includes airfares, food, entertainment, etc. That translates to my spending about $40/night on average.

My general philosophy is that I don’t spend much time in my room when I’m on vacation except for sleeping, and I’d rather spend the minimum necessary to get conveniently located, clean/safe/quiet accommodation at my desired destination, leaving as much as possible for nice meals and activities. So give me a $50 Super-8 motel room rather than the $250 Hilton room down the street.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

I have found very obvious diminishing marginal returns in the jump from 2 or 3 star to 4 star. At Intercontinental/Marriott/Hilton, it's like you've gotta pay for everything. The room itself doesn't seem much better, but it's more snobbish. I would pay more if I thought I actually got more. So usually I'm staying at the $100-150 range HI Express, Fairfield, Springhill type setup.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

familythriftmd wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:52 pm At Intercontinental/Marriott/Hilton, it's like you've gotta pay for everything.
I was going to go to a hobby convention outside Chicago last August. At first I was going to take advantage of the group's convention rate at the Hilton next door, but then I found out I'd have to pay extra for (a) parking my car, (b) Wi-Fi, (c) breakfast. The total would have been over $200 a night after adding taxes. No thanks. I settled on a Comfort Inn up the road which would have been half that much, with the "extras" included. I would have had to pay for parking at the convention center, but still would have come out way ahead, especially considering that I was going to stay for several non-convention nights to do other stuff in the area.

In the end, I had a schedule conflict and didn't do the trip, anyway.
It's "Roth", not "ROTH". Senator William Roth was a person, not an acronym.
dunelly

Post by dunelly »

As a backpacker I spend maybe 10-20. $ a night at hostels.
Yea my vacations are long and cheap
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

familythriftmd wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:52 pm I have found very obvious diminishing marginal returns in the jump from 2 or 3 star to 4 star. At Intercontinental/Marriott/Hilton, it's like you've gotta pay for everything. The room itself doesn't seem much better, but it's more snobbish. I would pay more if I thought I actually got more. So usually I'm staying at the $100-150 range HI Express, Fairfield, Springhill type setup.
Proximity is something you tend to get with 4-star hotels that you often don't with 2 or 3 star. Usually the cheaper hotels are on the outskirts or in a less desirable area which forces you to either drive or take a taxi to events.

I would actually argue that your best VALUE are the basic Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt Regency properties that offer all the amenities but aren't quite a full 4 star type property. Usually many of these can be had for $200-ish/ night but have the desirable location.

The real diminishing returns tend to be when you go from the full-scale 4 star properties to a true 5 star. Yes everything in the 5 star is usually nicer but you'll generally pay between 2X-3X what you would for a similar 4 star in the same area.