OT: Google Chrome

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
artc

OT: Google Chrome

Post by artc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm

When I log on to Google; an icon for Google Chrome is displayed.
Has anyone switched over to Google Chrome?
Is it worth doing? Is there a downside?

Thanks

/

metalman

Post by metalman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Downside is that google, a large corporation interested only in its own profit and survival and by definition also subject to the regulation and pressure of all future governments, will keep a record into all eternity of every query and every website and every transaction you have ever made, from cradle to grave. Also, your identity and all your transactions are in theory visible in real time to anyone authorized by google - and possibly on-line hackers.

If the possible implications of that don't bother you, go for it.

richard

Post by richard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm

I use both chrome and firefox. Chrome seems a slightly better browser, but I'm more used to firefox.

Privacy may be a problem with google, but I don't see it as a problem with the chrome browser.

Google says it does not keep data forever. See the FAQ from this link.
http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html

Judsen

Post by Judsen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm

I switched from IE8 to Google Chrome and am very pleased with it.
(I have nothing to hide so am not worried about my internet activities.)
Be the change you want to see in the world

Toolbert

Post by Toolbert » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm

My 6 year old computer got intolerably slow with IE and all the MS antivirus/anti-malware features, which I feel is necessary to do anything on the internet. I switched to Chrome a couple months ago and it's like having a new PC, went from 5 seconds to load a typical complex page to near instant. I also like that it wastes far less of the screen height to useless information. So far I've found only one site that doesn't work with it - the WA state DOR i.e. for filing businesses tax on-line.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm

I like Chrome better than every other browser. It just does exactly what I want it to do, very quickly. You can't tack on add-ons and toolbars and garbage, but that's a feature, not a bug. My only problem is that Netflix Instant does not work. Every other site I've used works just fine. phpBB (what this site is based on) was goofy with Chrome when I first started using it, but it's fine now. I still get warnings telling me a site does not support my browser occasionally, but, with the Netflix expception, never experience any problems.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

metalman

Post by metalman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Re the google "privacy policy": Not at all reassuring to anyone who has actually read it. They are telling you everything you do is theirs with which to do pretty much what they want, within the law, which is full of loopholes and subject to the interpretation of their lawyers (who probably participated in writing the law).
Thank you google for capturing and archiving my private info, identity and transactions to provide all those wonderful "services" (i.e., ads, info to affiliates and who knows what from third parties) that I don't want. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and the price of cloud computing is, potentially at least, your privacy - or what's left of it.
The web is bad enough re privacy, and security but monstrosities like chrome are another order of magnitude more dangerous and make it impossible to safeguard anything. All in the name of "efficiency" and "service" at the expense of the quaint notion of privacy.
Last edited by metalman on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artc

Post by artc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks all

cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Faster, simpler, cleaner. I use it except where it is not supported. My only gripe is that there is a sporadic bug that prevents you from seeing checkboxes and radio dialogs. I see it maybe once a month.

metalman

Post by metalman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 pm

I suggest you delete all your security software. Everything will be "faster, simpler, cleaner".

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Last edited by greg24 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gcturp

Post by gcturp » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 pm

I tried 'chrome' and generally liked it for the reasons mentioned above: it is efficient and quick.

But I got rid of it because I just don't trust google (man, doesn't that sound fit for late-night AM radio!). I noticed that 'chrome' was ALWAYS asking for 'permission' to access the web (based on my firewall, 'ZoneAlarm'), even when I wasn't actively browsing and (although I could be wrong, I don't remember) even when I didn't have it open. Since I didn't know if the request was necessary or not I always had to allow it.

Also, when I would do a 'clean-up' with 'Ccleaner' after deleting 'chrome' I noticed that it took about 5-10x the time to clean the history (relative to normally with Firefox). It must be saving a lot of info in those cookies.

So, I'll take Firefox and wait a few extra seconds when I surf the web. If they ever fix 'chrome' with respect to the privacy issues, I will definitely go back to it.

kevincohen

Post by kevincohen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 pm

You might be interested in what Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, said on CNBC, in response to a question about whether people should treat Google as a "trusted friend."

His response: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6e7wfDHzew )

I for one do not feel comfortable with this if-you've-got-nothing-to-hide attitude about privacy, so I will stick with Firefox and Safari.

fluffyistaken

Post by fluffyistaken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Go with Chrome.

If you don't trust Google to keep your info confidential, then you probably shouldn't trust any other software company which would kinda limit what you can do with your computer. Intuit "knows" more about TurboTax users than Google can ever dream of. Yahoo has all the emails you've ever written or received. Internet Explorer can and will do all the same stuff as Chrome, as Microsoft continues its perpetual catch-up game. AT&T knows exactly who you call and who calls you, how often, when, and for how long. MS Office is moving towards storing documents in the cloud. Account aggregator services like Yodlee and Mint are a security nightmare in the making. Etc, etc. Google is just ahead of the curve in extracting and monetizing information about your internet habits -- everyone else will do the same once they figure out how to do so effectively and legally.

You could conceivably make a case for using exclusively open-source software and services like Skype instead of commercial equivalents, but even then all your IP traffic (much/most of it unencrypted) will be going over AT&T/Verizon/Comcast/TWC networks.

kevincohen

Post by kevincohen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:39 pm

These are all apples and oranges comparisons, since we're talking about browsers.

In a contest of Chrome vs. Firefox on privacy issues, the latter blows away the former.

Really, in light of the Eric Schmidt quotation referenced above, this Google fanboyism has become ridiculous.

fluffyistaken wrote:Go with Chrome.

If you don't trust Google to keep your info confidential, then you probably shouldn't trust any other software company which would kinda limit what you can do with your computer. Intuit "knows" more about TurboTax users than Google can ever dream of. Yahoo has all the emails you've ever written or received. Internet Explorer can and will do all the same stuff as Chrome, as Microsoft continues its perpetual catch-up game. AT&T knows exactly who you call and who calls you, how often, when, and for how long. MS Office is moving towards storing documents in the cloud. Account aggregator services like Yodlee and Mint are a security nightmare in the making. Etc, etc. Google is just ahead of the curve in extracting and monetizing information about your internet habits -- everyone else will do the same once they figure out how to do so effectively and legally.

You could conceivably make a case for using exclusively open-source software and services like Skype instead of commercial equivalents, but even then all your IP traffic (much/most of it unencrypted) will be going over AT&T/Verizon/Comcast/TWC networks.

BobbieD

Post by BobbieD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:17 pm

I like it, it's fast and seems even faster on Linux....the home page is nice and incognito mode is interesting.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:58 am

Chrome rocks. I switched a couple of months ago and haven't had to go back to either IE or Firefox since.

It's definitely faster.

fluffyistaken

Post by fluffyistaken » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 am

kevincohen wrote:Really, in light of the Eric Schmidt quotation referenced above, this Google fanboyism has become ridiculous.

I know! It's not like Google built the world's best browser and is giving it way for free, right? :D When Firefox was the best browser I was a FF fanboy. Now FF is slower than IE, so I've become a Chrome fanboy. I could care less what Google knows about me as long as they stay out of blackmail business. If they can turn that info into money and use that money to create more great free products and letting me monetize my website, good for them and for me. All sorts of entities know all sorts of stuff about me, I'm not sure why you think Google is the most nefarious of them all.

vshun

Post by vshun » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:09 am

I used Firefox for a few years but recently started to use Chrome more. At least on my home Linux machine it is much faster than Firefox. Having AdBlockPlus or AdTwarf on it seals the deal since IMHO it is the most important Firefox/Chrome plugin.

richard

Post by richard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:14 am

vshun wrote:I used Firefox for a few years but recently started to use Chrome more. At least on my home Linux machine it is much faster than Firefox. Having AdBlockPlus or AdTwarf on it seals the deal since IMHO it is the most important Firefox/Chrome plugin.
Is there an adblock plus plugin for chrome? I'm using adthwart at the moment.

It would be nice if Chrome had the 'search as you type' feature FF has. In chrome you have to hit ctrl-f to search. Has this changed or is there a work-around?

leod

Post by leod » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:37 am

tried chrome and it is fast and simple, too simple for me. firefox is ok but it is becoming bulky.

I used opera in years, lite and fast, some sites do not support it so i keep IE just in case.

modal

Post by modal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:56 am

Occasionally, I'll run Opera, and Chrome, I use a mostly use Firefox with tree style tabs, snap links plus, no redirect, colorful tabs, web developer, show IP, skype ex, downloadthemall!, Vimperator, httpfox, historytree, customize google, It's All Text, CHM reader, ad block plus, no script, firebug, and greasemonkey. I might switch It's All Text to http://mozex.mozdev.org/.

You might want to check out Webkit.

northend

Post by northend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:28 pm

For those with Google accounts, you can see what information they are storing.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... shboard%2F

raddle

Post by raddle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:45 pm

I am using IE, Firefox, and Chrome on different computers, and I can't tell a lick of difference between any of them. I wouldn't bother "making the switch" unless for some reason your browser stops working correctly and you just want a fresh start.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm

I've used Firefox for years and see no reason to switch. I didn't realize that Chrome had these privacy issues, and that makes me more happy to use Firefox.

Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:18 pm

I have also used Firefox for a number of years but have recently had a problem. Bought a new HP laptop and it had something called "HP smart web print" or something like that. From that point forward had problems with FF. Uninstalled the 'smart web' thingie and things have been fine with FF ever since. All the extensions like noscript and adblock make FF the browser of choice here.

Have downloaded Chrome to take a look but the security part kind of makes me think I'm gonna stay with FF.
I warm so easy so dance me loose - it shines so bright the moon.

BobbieD

Post by BobbieD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Swiftfox on Linux is also quick...

billb

Post by billb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Been using Chrome since 1.0. Love it. Tried many others, always go back to Chrome.

ddb

Post by ddb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:48 pm

metalman wrote:Downside is that google, a large corporation interested only in its own profit and survival and by definition also subject to the regulation and pressure of all future governments, will keep a record into all eternity of every query and every website and every transaction you have ever made, from cradle to grave. Also, your identity and all your transactions are in theory visible in real time to anyone authorized by google - and possibly on-line hackers.

If the possible implications of that don't bother you, go for it.

Isn't there an option when one installs Chrome to NOT send data to Google? I seem to recall unchecking that box during the few times I've installed Chrome.

Anyway, it remains my favorite browser by far; there's not even a close second. Lightning fast and really maximizes the amount of the window devoted to the web page without having to actually go into full screen mode. I curse the one website I have to go to daily for work purposes that does not function with Chrome.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB