Tree vs Basement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ani

Tree vs Basement

Post by Ani »

Hello all,

I have a huge maple tree about 45-50 feet away from my house. Its a messy tree, sheds a lot of leaves all year. Leaves a sticky residue on my car parked below it. Its been around for atleast 10-20 plus years.

I got a quote for removing it--about 2300$ including stump grinding.

Pros of removing this tree in my view are:
Cleaner yard and cars, less cleanup.
Remove the danger of it falling on my roof during a storm.

Cons:
I remember reading somewhere that if trees are removed from the yard-- the water is no longer absorbed by the roots and can accumulate around the house, potentially causing basement flooding.
Knock on wood- the basement never had any major flooding issues and I don't want to do anything which could change that.

:?
Any helpful suggestions or personal experiences would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
UpperNwGuy

Re: Tree vs Basement

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Can you find another spot to park your car?
Topic Author
Ani

Post by Ani »

The main issue is that it sheds all year and its so huge that if it falls it will most likely damage my roof.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Do trees regularly fall in your neighborhood? Just because a tree is large doesn't mean it's going to fall. Trees improve neighborhoods and property values, attract wildlife, capture carbon from the atmosphere, and clean the air. If you live in a sunny climate, a deciduous tree helps keep your house cool in the summer.

I would not remove a large tree from my property unless absolutely necessary, e.g., the tree was diseased and failing. Of course, trees require periodic maintenance, such as removing dead or dying limbs, but for most trees this can be on a 5-10 year schedule. As far as the debris on your car, you could use a car cover.
brianH

Post by brianH »

Chop it.

Maples are horrible trees to have anywhere near a structure, for all the reasons you listed. They grow fast and weak, and the roots tend to be near the surface to damage walkways/driveways, etc. I had a huge one cut down near my house for about what your cost is expected to be. I miss the shade, but it had to be done.

I wouldn't worry about the existing roots. The sooner you deal with them, the better.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I have never heard of removing a tree causing basement flooding.

The problem of tree roots is them pushing against and damaging the foundation,which then allows flooding.

Unless you are in a flood zone, asking as you have proper drainage,you shouldn't have flooding problems.
WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

brianH wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:09 pm Chop it.

Maples are horrible trees to have anywhere near a structure, for all the reasons you listed. They grow fast and weak, and the roots tend to be near the surface to damage walkways/driveways, etc. I had a huge one cut down near my house for about what your cost is expected to be. I miss the shade, but it had to be done.

I wouldn't worry about the existing roots. The sooner you deal with them, the better.
+1

It causes me some amount of distress to kill any living thing, plant or animal, but a maple is basically a large weed. Not quite, but close. So I second @brianH
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

baconavocado wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:08 pm Do trees regularly fall in your neighborhood? Just because a tree is large doesn't mean it's going to fall. Trees improve neighborhoods and property values, attract wildlife, capture carbon from the atmosphere, and clean the air. If you live in a sunny climate, a deciduous tree helps keep your house cool in the summer.

I would not remove a large tree from my property unless absolutely necessary, e.g., the tree was diseased and failing. Of course, trees require periodic maintenance, such as removing dead or dying limbs, but for most trees this can be on a 5-10 year schedule. As far as the debris on your car, you could use a car cover.
+1

It is your property. But I can not imagine removing what is described as a maple tree in it’s prime. Do you know what variety of maple tree?
Topic Author
Ani

Post by Ani »

Im not sure what kind of maple it is unfortunately...
Each year-- the cost of cutting it seems to go up.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Take the $2300 and hire a local kid to rake once a week during the fall over the next few years.
countmein

Post by countmein »

baconavocado wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:08 pm Do trees regularly fall in your neighborhood? Just because a tree is large doesn't mean it's going to fall. Trees improve neighborhoods and property values, attract wildlife, capture carbon from the atmosphere, and clean the air. If you live in a sunny climate, a deciduous tree helps keep your house cool in the summer.

+1

Cutting down a large, old tree is kind of unthinkable. A large shade tree adds significant value to your property and your neighborhood and your life. I wouldn't buy a house without several of them. It's kind of the whole point of living in the suburbs is it not? If a limb falls on your house, that's what insurance is for. Usually a large limb wont even cause damage, especially from a Maple. Your roof is tougher than you think.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

MathWizard wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:14 pm I have never heard of removing a tree causing basement flooding.
It happened to my former neighbor. The tree is like a giant sponge and sucks up a lot of water. Once the tree is no longer there, the water has to go somewhere, and often that's into a basement.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

WyomingFIRE wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:16 pm
brianH wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:09 pm Chop it.

+1

It causes me some amount of distress to kill any living thing, plant or animal, but a maple is basically a large weed. Not quite, but close. So I second @brianH
I’m firmly in the chop it down camp.

I removed a huge 15 year maple from back yard of a previous house because I hated it, it shaded my pool and it was a mess. Didn’t regret it, didn’t miss it and the neighbor on that side was equally happy because that mess found it’s way to his yard too.
celia

Post by celia »

Ani wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:41 pm The main issue is that it sheds all year and its so huge that if it falls it will most likely damage my roof.
Congratulations on having a healthy tree! Healthy trees shed and are sticky. That’s what they’ve been doing since they were created. Why would you want to kill it just because it’s doing what a tree is supposed to do?

Why do you think the tree might fall and fall towards your house? It would have to be over 45-50 feet high to hit your house. Have a 6ft tall person (or any other height if you want harder math) stand next to it. Then from a distance, estimate how many people that tall would have to stand on top of each other to be as tall as the tree. Then have them estimate how many of ‘you’ would have to be stacked to match the tree height. Do you get over 50 feet? If so, have you considered pruning the tree?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Ani wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:23 pm Hello all,

I have a huge maple tree about 45-50 feet away from my house. Its a messy tree, sheds a lot of leaves all year. Leaves a sticky residue on my car parked below it. Its been around for atleast 10-20 plus years.

Cons:
I remember reading somewhere that if trees are removed from the yard-- the water is no longer absorbed by the roots and can accumulate around the house, potentially causing basement flooding.
Knock on wood- the basement never had any major flooding issues and I don't want to do anything which could change that.

Thank you.
A well built basement should not have that problem whether there's tree there or not.

Water accumulation around a house, standing water, is something that needs to be addressed whether the tree is there or not.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
diy60

Post by diy60 »

I just recently removed two 50yr old maple trees from very close proximity to my house. The trees were weak and messy silver maples. Over the years they heaved the sidewalk and driveway, got in the drain lines, and damaged the water line. A few years back I had a seemingly healthy 16in maple fall on my neighbors house, we're still friends. I do miss the shade.

I wouldn't be in a rush to cut down 25yr old trees that are 45 to 50 ft away from you house, especially if they are still healthy. Seems you may still have a lot of time to enjoy them. Tuff choice to make either way. Good luck.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Cons:

Thank you.
A well built basement should not have that problem whether there's tree there or not.

Water accumulation around a house, standing water, is something that needs to be addressed whether the tree is there or not.

j :D
+1 based on my experience
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Cons:

Thank you.
100 year old maples on my Mum's street. They are starting to come down - reached the end of their lives.

Re car. Get a car cover? They aren't that expensive I don't think.

Re leaves. Local kid with rake if you don't want to do it yourself. I found raking leaves to be one of the most mentally soothing activities I ever did-- combining meditation with physical activity. Not for nothing do people in monastic communities do regular basic chores like raking leaves.

Do the kids on your street play in the piles of leaves? We used to have great leaf fights, get bawled out for causing a mess, clean it up.

There is a danger of it falling but it should be relatively small at that distance. A prune could eliminate most of the risk?

Where I grew up the summers are hot and sticky, 8 weeks of grim - and my city was known as "northern". I would have missed the shade a lot growing up (we didn't have air conditioning until my father retired, and that involved knocking microducts through the walls and ceilings; the heating remains hydronic (hot water rads)).

I cannot relate to people calling this a "weed". It's a deciduous tree that happens to survive relatively far north-- probably the biggest concentration is in Quebec. It's Canada's national symbol, in fact.

If you feel you have to cut it down, then do so. In your shoes, assuming you benefit from the shade in summer, I would simply have it pruned.

Houses have a life after our time in them. So do trees.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

At 45 to 50 feet from the house, I would not worry about removal. If you are concerned about moisture, check the type of soil and the drainage from the house. Over time, years if not decades, large roots will collapse and may leave areas to be filled in with soil, but these are not sink holes and can be filled with soil bought in bags if need be. If still concerned, consider a rain garden:

https://www.groundwater.org/action/home ... rdens.html

https://ag.tennessee.edu/watersheds/Pag ... essee.aspx

Your local extension agent, gardening clubs and so forth can provide more information on rain gardens.

I have a similar situation, an old, huge oak is about 20 feet from the house (crawlspace). Its not pretty and drops acorns like crazy. When I get a new car, its going. The only other alternative is to install a car port. I can get a fairly attractive one made out of decking and even get a seating area on top, but the tree is probably going to go.

As noted above, thinning it and having it cleaned up might help. Consult a tree service which has a trained urban forester. They are more likely to try to save the tree and give options.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I can relate to nuisances, I don't like it when a planet obstructs my view of Venus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNzdlc7ZcA&t=38s
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

There are times, like this, when I cherish the fact that I replaced the suburban ethos with a more rural mindset.

I just planted a dozen maples and oaks. We should be planting and tending to our trees, not removing them. The planet needs more of them. I can’t believe this is even a thread; a healthy tree 50 feet from the house.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Ani wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:23 pm I got a quote for removing it--about 2300$ including stump grinding.
If the cost is prohibitive, consider leaving the stump and using it as a pedestal for decorative flowers or such.
That's not an issue. If it were, your basement will flood eventually, with or without the problematic tree.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

Whether you cut the tree down or not (and I hope you don't), you should at least find out what kind of maple it is. Sugar? Silver? Red? Norway? All but the last are native species. You might also want to take a little time observing the squirrels, birds, and other animals that are making their homes in the tree, so you will be aware of the impact you are having if you remove it. If you're worried about a branch damaging your house, why not have it pruned? It's unlikely the entire tree will fall down.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

countmein wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:40 pm Cutting down a large, old tree is kind of unthinkable.
And, at least in some places, illegal. In my city it requires sign off from an arborist.
Even if that's irrelevant to you, it demonstrates the value some people place on them.

My area of town has mature trees. Some are being removed (mostly when the roots start to affect driveways, sidewalks...). And one did fall a few years ago in a hurricane (luckily into the street).
The price you quote sounds reasonable. I've already removed 3 of various sizes from our property over the years.

I sympathize with the pain the maintenance can be. Especially a maple. But consider this.
I used to HATE taking care or our lawn and shrubbery. SOOO much work. And for what? Just ugly grass.
A few years back, we finally pulled the trigger and hired a weekly service.
Now I LOVE my lawn. So pretty and tidy.
Funny how that works.
:sharebeer
brianH

Post by brianH »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 am There are times, like this, when I cherish the fact that I replaced the suburban ethos with a more rural mindset.
Are you implying that rural folks are more likely to keep large, weak trees in very close proximity to their house? That hasn't been my experience.

I have plenty of trees on my property, but I like them just far enough away from the house that they don't cause problems. I know you're a proponent of solar, how do you do that with lots of trees around?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

brianH wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:37 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 am There are times, like this, when I cherish the fact that I replaced the suburban ethos with a more rural mindset.
Are you implying that rural folks are more likely to keep large, weak trees in very close proximity to their house? That hasn't been my experience.

I have plenty of trees on my property, but I like them just far enough away from the house that they don't cause problems. I know you're a proponent of solar, how do you do that with lots of trees around?
OP was discussing a healthy Maple 50 feet from their house. I don’t recall seeing mention of weakness. The point I didn’t make well is that, IMO, the suburban mindset worries more about monoculture lawn than nature.

My large trees in close proximity to the house are cared for. We have felled 8 majestic oak trees because they had suffered ill effects of gypsy moths (apologies for using a non-PC term that hasn’t been replaced by anything other than the Latin name); they were dead. We are cabling two other oaks that we hope to be able to keep alive and safe.

My solar panels are ground based and are near our detached garage. We intentionally don’t plant trees near the panels (which are also close to our septic, so no-no zone for trees).
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Just did this last week with a large Red Maple in by back yard, $1,700 including the grinding. Tree was a huge headache. Worth the money IMO
VT & HFEA
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I like to live in my house. I like to have less yard work. My neighbor had one pine break half way up and hit his house. We had 4 pines, two large tall pines had to go (including stump grinding), one had a vertical crack, the other two had its height cut back, all work =$8,600. But that gave me peace in my age of 82. Such thinking also applies to maples, you have to be happy and not feel threatened by large trees. Though I have one maple which has beautiful red color in fall, and does not have roots at the surface. But you seem to describe one of the maples which have roots on the surface, and does not permit anything else grow under it, an enemy of gardening.
dbr

Post by dbr »

If the drainage around your house is good then removing or not removing the tree has nothing to do with it. If the drainage is not good, then fix that in any case. Do you have any reason to suspect you have a drainage problem?
Topic Author
Ani

Post by Ani »

Interesting points of view and ideas I didn't think of. Thank you all.

Tried to post some images of postit . Maybe someone can figure out what kind of maple it is. Its certainly taller than 50 feet for sure and can damage the roof if it falls.
If we end up removing it,, it will be replaced by shorter, 'more manageable' trees.

https://i.postimg.cc/HLb7Wdxg/A2-FA4541 ... -EC038.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/52YCGwWj/F3-B2-AF6 ... D48-CA.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/76DJfdGT/FE590-B73 ... -D8-E3.jpg
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

Ani wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:23 pm Pros of removing this tree in my view are:
Remove it. You'll be happy that you did. Our very large 30-year-old silver maple had not been properly maintained through the years and was a hazard to the house. I am quite happy not dealing with the 'helicopters' every year.
"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Kagord wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 am I can relate to nuisances, I don't like it when a planet obstructs my view of Venus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNzdlc7ZcA&t=38s
LOL
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I'm certainly no expert--just an experienced dodger of trees. I would be stunned if gravity allowed that tree to fall on your house. I would consider pruning the side that is doing the most dropping on your car, perhaps even the entire tree. I would be very much inclined to leave the tree--or most of it.
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

That's a lovely tree. If you post a closeup of a leaf and the bark, we might be able to ID it. What color do the leaves turn in the fall? Orange, red, or yellow (or combination)?
Also what compass direction is it from your house? Unless north, be prepared for your house to be hotter with the tree gone. At my old apartment, the landlord cut down a large maple that was providing wonderful shade (he didn't like raking). The apt was significantly hotter with the tree gone.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I have a Maple in my yard, but never heard to them referred to as a weed tree. It's a fairly big tree that provides a lot of shade, I would rate it a little higher on the scale vs. other trees I have in my yard. Outside of the roots getting into my old clay sewer line, it's not a huge hassle outside of the leaf cleanup in the fall.

I wouldn't worry about the issue with your basement flooding. As long as you don't have an issue now and the gutters direct your water away, that's probably as good as you can do. I don't think you have to worry about a single tree saving you, I always thought of trees helping on more of larger scale. The town that I live is unincorporated and when the community was built, part of the water strategy was to plant a type of tree (Ash I believe) towards the back of all of the properties. Over time as those trees came down and weren't replaced, it was thought that was reason why flooding had increased in the area.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I live in an older neighborhood full of mature trees, any of which could hit somebody's house if it fell over. So could the utility poles, and I wouldn't be without either. But it sounds like you're not a tree person in general.

Whether a tree is a weed tree or not depends on the species and your area (Rose of Sharons are weeds in my zone but coveted in colder areas). In general, Norway maples and silver maples tend to be the most problematic in their habits. However, if you're cutting down something like a sugar maple in its prime that may have an effect on your property value.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Get rid of the tree. I had made a post about a giant white oak tree shedding tons crap on my cars, house, etc. giant branches hanging over power lines, tons of leaves to rake….suggestions I received here included;

Park my cars in my 1 car garage
Build a 2 car garage
Build a car port
Don’t park in my driveway
Stop ruining the environment

I cut the tree down and it has been wonderful!
Topic Author
Ani

Post by Ani »

I reached out to the arborist asking a quote for just pruning/trimming. I’m expecting them to come back and say it will almost cost the same as removing it :wink:

Here are the pics of its leaves and barks if it helps with identification.

https://i.postimg.cc/J7bnWnG7/08-E55906 ... E43-AB.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/SNkKQhM6/6-F8-BFE7 ... E923-D.jpg
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I like that tree and would leave it. However, don't let anyone here shame you into keeping it if you don't want to.

I planted a Bur Oak the other day so it'll cancel out this one being cut down :sharebeer
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

From the picture of the leaves and bark, I am guessing silver maple.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

I just planted a dozen maples and oaks. We should be planting and tending to our trees, not removing them. The planet needs more of them. I can’t believe this is even a thread; a healthy tree 50 feet from the house.
Agree. We have dozens of beautiful maple trees at our lake house. The colours in the fall are spectacular. Trees are a big part of what makes the outdoors so enjoyable.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

SQRT wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:22 am

Agree. We have dozens of beautiful maple trees at our lake house. The colours in the fall are spectacular. Trees are a big part of what makes the outdoors so enjoyable.
We planted four sapling maples of different varieties at our lake house last year. If the deer could talk they would say thank you for the delicious syrupy snack. On a positive note, the deer didn't charge me a thing to prune them down to sticks, and I didn't have to hire an arborist to have them removed.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I am not a fan of cutting down trees, especially in the name of maintaining a yard. Yards are a manufactured concept and are generally quite wasteful and environmentally aberrant.

So I vote to save the tree!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

vested1 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:18 am

We planted four sapling maples of different varieties at our lake house last year. If the deer could talk they would say thank you for the delicious syrupy snack. On a positive note, the deer didn't charge me a thing to prune them down to sticks, and I didn't have to hire an arborist to have them removed.
I’m new to this, so I don’t know how well saplings do with deer on our property; our home abuts town forest, so deer have a smorgasbord within easy reach. When we planted our trees, they were tall enough to have their leaves out of reach of the deer. We have some seedlings (just planted themselves the old fashioned way) that we haven’t protected with any fencing; perhaps if some make it to sapling stage, we will protect. We’ll also see how acorns do.

Sorry about your saplings.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

vested1 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:18 am

That’s too bad. Our sugar maples (I think) are all mature. Many are 60-70 feet tall. Did plant a Red Maple about 10 years ago but it was already 8-10 feet high. Has done quite well.

We have a lot of deer as well and they eat just about anything. No flowers for us. Quite frustrating.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

celia wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:10 pm Have a 6ft tall person (or any other height if you want harder math) stand next to it. Then from a distance, estimate how many people that tall would have to stand on top of each other to be as tall as the tree. Then have them estimate how many of ‘you’ would have to be stacked to match the tree height. Do you get over 50 feet? If so, have you considered pruning the tree?
OR ...

Measure the shadow the 6-footer casts, measure the shadow the tree casts, then do a little math. Hint: the ratios (height to shadow length) will be the same.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

tree huggers coming out in force LOL

i'm in the cut it down camp. if it makes you feel bad -- just find a more appropriate spot and plant TWO to replace it. :beer

----------------------------------------------
cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

Personally I would never cut down a healthy tree. I only cut them down if/when they are diseased or dying and thus become a hazard. Trees require periodic inspection and pruning. I had a neighbor who cut down every tree in his yard. When I asked him about he said he was concerned they would on his bedroom and kill him while he was asleep. Some people are afraid of trees. True, there is always a risk with large trees especially in severe weather events that cannot be eliminated. But again I would not take down a healthy tree just because it was close to our house.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

mr_brightside wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am tree huggers coming out in force LOL
----------------------------------------------
One more tree hugger fan here, please...“SAVE THE TREES!, WIPE YOUR A$$ WITH A SPOTTED OWL.”

Saw this more than a few times in the 1980's in Oregon.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Beyond the "cut or don't cut" philosophical, let's address the basement.

If we were talking about a willow, MAYBE there's a question there. A maple is not a huge water sponge.

Unless you have abnormal waterflow, it's fine. Make sure your yard is graded away from the basement (this is independent of the tree). When you grind the stump, don't leave a huge hole/divot in your yard for water to accumulate. Level it out.