Need new phone- no clue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cautionary Tale

Need new phone- no clue

Post by Cautionary Tale »

Hello everybody. I have had a samsung galaxy s3 with Walmart Family Mobile since 2014. In August of 2020 I got a text message that said "soon your phone will stop working due to network changes." I thought that it was interesting that they did not define "soon," so I did some research and found that the phone might stop working Jan. 1. Jan. 1 came and went-no problem. In fact, I never had any problems until Saturday Oct.2. Everything has been fine since Oct. 2 except nobody receives my texts. After much digging I finally found out that this is part of the 3g phaseout, and fairly soon I will lose all phone service.

Anyway, I don't need the newest, fanciest thing out there, but also don't necessarily want the cheapest. I am not a tech guy oObviously). Any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Topic Author
Cautionary Tale

Re: Need new phone- no clue

Cautionary Tale wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:24 pm Hello everybody. I have had a samsung galaxy s3 with Walmart Family Mobile since 2014. In August of 2020 I got a text message that said "soon your phone will stop working due to network changes." I thought that it was interesting that they did not define "soon," so I did some research and found that the phone might stop working Jan. 1. Jan. 1 came and went-no problem. In fact, I never had any problems until Saturday Oct.2. Everything has been fine since Oct. 2 except nobody receives my texts. After much digging I finally found out that this is part of the 3g phaseout, and fairly soon I will lose all phone service.

Anyway, I don't need the newest, fanciest thing out there, but also don't necessarily want the cheapest. I am not a tech guy (obviously). Any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

If you don't mind switching to apple, the iPhone SE may be a good fit. It is Apple's "budget" iPhone, re-modeled as of 2020 and from the reviews I have read it is a pretty nice phone for the price tag

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/04/ ... ar-design/
Topic Author
Cautionary Tale

Thanks!
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I assume you'd like to stick with Android phones?

Last year I got the Google Pixel 4a for $349. It's been replaced with the Pixel 5a (with 5G support) but at a higher price point of $449.
Google no longer sells the 4a but apparently you can still get it new at, for example, Amazon for $349.

Both of these are very good mid-range phones in my opinion - good security updates, good camera & software, minimal "bloatware".

The main downside of the 4a is that Google has guaranteed support for Android updates only through Aug 2023.
Meanwhile the Pixel 5a (5G) has support guaranteed through Aug 2024.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/a ... xel-phones

Another mid-range option (per https://www.anandtech.com/show/9770/best-android-phones) is the Samsung A52.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

The Motorola Moto line gets good reviews, and the various models are typically good values for the features they offer. My G7 Play has served me well.
shess

Post by shess »

Not entirely certain what you're fishing for, but I can give you my experience.

For various reasons, I have used Android for the longest time (since the beginning with the G1). Part of this is because I am cheap, so I tend to buy unlocked decent-but-older phones. Last winter my phone (Moto X4) started having problems, like weird pauses and charging issues, so I figured it was time to start looking. As I looked, I realized that I was having troubles finding a phone with the features I cared about like water resistance and size in the price point I liked. Then I realized that each time I had previously upgraded, I also had those issues in the search, like I'd find a phone the size I wanted, but the resolution was poor, or the screen was good but no water resistance, or the network I wanted wasn't shipped unlocked in America, etc.

Then I realized that if I had bought an iPhone the previous time, this time I could just go buy a new iPhone, and everything would transfer over easily (I knew this because I have had many iPads), and I'd just be done. So I got an iPhone SE and moved on with my life. You can certainly get into a big argument about ecosystem is better, and I can for certain say that there are things I still don't like about this iPhone that I miss from my Android device. But not having to think too hard about selecting my next phone feels nice to me. My thought process will be something like "What sizes do they come in? What do they cost? OK, the $450 one." If I end up having to think about it, it will be because I'm thinking about whether the $500 provides value, not about which baseline wants I'm willing to live without to get the price point I want.

Once upon a time, I had high hopes that Google would replicate this situation in the Android ecosystem. I loved my Nexus One and Nexus 4 and Nexus 5(x? 5x, I think). But for whatever reason, Google releases a solid phone in a pricing tier, follows up with one new generation which is even better in that pricing tier, and then gets distracted by a squirrel and you're left looking for an alternate vendor for your next upgrade.
Bogle7

iPhone 13 Pro

Post by Bogle7 »

Just buy what Tim tells you to buy.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

If you plan to keep a phone that long, then an iPhone is your best bet due to Apple supporting phones with software updates. For example, iOS 15 was just released still supports the iPhone 6S that was released 6 years ago. Samsung will support a phone for 3 years if you’re lucky.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Nokia has some new smartphones that range in prices. Some of them are fairly low.

Don't forget about black Friday! There are usually phone deals. I am also on the forced upgrade boat. I need a rugged phone though so I'm giving it until black Friday to see if I can drop a few $$'s and have some more time for reviews to develop on Nokia's xr20 rugged phone that just came out.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tcassette wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:49 pm The Motorola Moto line gets good reviews, and the various models are typically good values for the features they offer. My G7 Play has served me well.
My G6 hasn't given me an issue in 3.5yrs. Other than a better camera, I'm not really sure how having a much more expensive phone would change the experience. Hard to beat for $200.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:28 pm
tcassette wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:49 pm The Motorola Moto line gets good reviews, and the various models are typically good values for the features they offer. My G7 Play has served me well.
My G6 hasn't given me an issue in 3.5yrs. Other than a better camera, I'm not really sure how having a much more expensive phone would change the experience. Hard to beat for $200.
My refurb Moto G6 has been rock solid as well.

Heck, my wife is still on the G4 with zero issues.
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

Samsung Galaxy A52 5k - mid-range level maybe around $500 now, works for the most part similarly to the older Galaxy models with lots of apps and about half the price of the new latest and greatest. Unless you're with a tech geek, it looks almost like the more expensive phones anyway. It has lots of apps and features. Plus, it got some very good reviews.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Cautionary Tale wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:24 pm ....Walmart Family Mobile since 2014.
Check your providers web site and call them to see if they have any promotions to keep you as a customer. They may have deals that do not show up on their web site but you of course need to understand all the details.

I had a flip phone for a long time but when I was finally converting to a smart phone I saw a review that mentioned that Home shopping network has TracFone bundles where they sell smartphones often for little more than the cost of a year service, and sometimes for even less than a years service would cost. I am a light user of cell phones so a prepaid plan works fine for me. I think it comes with about 1500 minutes and texts and I have never used all of it. I do need to buy a more data a couple of times a year but it is not expensive as long as you don't do things like watch videos when you are not on wifi.

I would never have thought of looking at HSN but I have bought two or three phone from them and it has worked well. Typically Android phones stop getting security updates after about three years so it is good to not keep an Android phone for much longer than that.

Here is their web page.

https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone/10962 ... mer-rating

It looks like they not longer have the exact Moto phone I got but they have several of them and other brands too.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

We have Cricket. For existing customers just updating their phone, they have an iPhone SE 128MB for $300. That means that if we keep the phone for 3 years, we hit my $100/device/year target. After 6 months, we'll have it unlocked, and can change networks if we want.

In mid-2017 we bought 2 ~$250 iPhones SE phones. One of them is still going, we replaced the other recently.

If you want a phone that will have updates for a long time and won't break the bank, the iPhone SE will do that. At least for the moment. The pricing changes without warning.
Nothing to say, really.
Topic Author
Cautionary Tale

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I was thinking more in the $200 range, but I also like the idea from an earlier poster that iPhones might be better in the long run because Apple supports their phone longer. I prefer to keep the phone as long as possible.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

Had the same issue a few months back with Att and my Pixel 1 sailfish. I ended up buying a Pixel 3 off eBay for $175.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

You can save some money with a refurbished iPhone:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone
Best Wishes, | Joe
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Cautionary Tale wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 pm Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I was thinking more in the $200 range, but I also like the idea from an earlier poster that iPhones might be better in the long run because Apple supports their phone longer. I prefer to keep the phone as long as possible.
I don't know that Apple support their phones longer than Samsung. You opened with a statement that you had your galaxy s3 since 2014 and only now starting having problems with support - and someone brags that they got 2 iphones in 2017 and only had to replace one...hmmm....
You got 7 years out of your Samsung - why not just buy another Samsung? You can get an ealier generation S9 or 10e or one of the budget models depending upon how much you want spend.
You are used to Android - you will likely find iphone hard to use.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

JD2775 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:40 pm If you don't mind switching to apple, the iPhone SE may be a good fit. It is Apple's "budget" iPhone, re-modeled as of 2020 and from the reviews I have read it is a pretty nice phone for the price tag

Howdy

Good advice, and it is what I did. I like Apple products and their features , and the only thing missing from the SE is a bunch of high end cameras, which I can easily live without, and that makes the SE a bargain in my view.
W B

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

I have service from Republic wireless (less than $20/month) and bought a new moto e phone for $150 about a year ago from them, good phone. And, make sure you get enough storage, 32gb is not enough. Most of my family has Republic, has been good provider (now being bought by dish)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JD2775 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:40 pm If you don't mind switching to apple, the iPhone SE may be a good fit. It is Apple's "budget" iPhone, re-modeled as of 2020 and from the reviews I have read it is a pretty nice phone for the price tag

I jst bought the iPhone SE. it works well. Nice camera. Costs $399.

Post by 123 »

I have to echo the comments earlier about the iphone SE (2020) for $399. Apple will likely support the phone for 4 or 5 years, maybe longer, with regular fixes, upgrades, and security enhancements. The problem with Android phones (I've had a couple) it that they are often supported for only a year or two, then your security becomes iffy. Switching to an SE (2020) is easy. There are some android things that don't exist in the Apple world, like a built-in FM radio, but there is internet radio via apps.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

It can certainly be a hassle when you have no clue. The easiest way is to pick a service vendor that you can buy a phone from, like you did from WM. Other then that you have to pick a vendor for service, figure out which carrier they are using, find a new or used phone that will work on that carrier, get a chip from the service provider, install it and set up the phone.

I've been buying "like new" phones off Swappa (there are a couple other sites too) since I retired and had no longer had work phones. Been using several models old Galaxy's, getting maybe 3 or so years out of them before they start bogging down due to whatever. Prices do seem to be rising pretty quick on them. Paid about $150 for an S5 3 or 4 years ago, and just updated to an S10 for $300 ish.

Use Puppy Wireless $28 plan which is on Verizon

Every time I need to upgrade I have to figure it all out again.
Regards | Bob
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Cautionary Tale wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:24 pm Hello everybody. I have had a samsung galaxy s3 with Walmart Family Mobile since 2014. In August of 2020 I got a text message that said "soon your phone will stop working due to network changes." I thought that it was interesting that they did not define "soon," so I did some research and found that the phone might stop working Jan. 1. Jan. 1 came and went-no problem. In fact, I never had any problems until Saturday Oct.2. Everything has been fine since Oct. 2 except nobody receives my texts. After much digging I finally found out that this is part of the 3g phaseout, and fairly soon I will lose all phone service.

Anyway, I don't need the newest, fanciest thing out there, but also don't necessarily want the cheapest. I am not a tech guy oObviously). Any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.

+1
iPhones can last forever. My dad is still on iPhone 6. I would definitely check out iPhone SE.
telemark

Post by telemark »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 pm
Cautionary Tale wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 pm Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I was thinking more in the $200 range, but I also like the idea from an earlier poster that iPhones might be better in the long run because Apple supports their phone longer. I prefer to keep the phone as long as possible.
I don't know that Apple support their phones longer than Samsung. You opened with a statement that you had your galaxy s3 since 2014 and only now starting having problems with support - and someone brags that they got 2 iphones in 2017 and only had to replace one...hmmm....
You got 7 years out of your Samsung - why not just buy another Samsung? You can get an ealier generation S9 or 10e or one of the budget models depending upon how much you want spend.
The O.P. is being forced out now because 3G phones no longer have a network to talk to in many places, but probably went without security updates and the ability to install newer apps for most of those seven years. If you can live without those things, then you can make a phone last quite a long time, but that's not the same as having a supported phone.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

telemark wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:16 am
SmileyFace wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 pm
The O.P. is being forced out now because 3G phones no longer have a network to talk to in many places, but probably went without security updates and the ability to install newer apps for most of those seven years. If you can live without those things, then you can make a phone last quite a long time, but that's not the same as having a supported phone.
The OP has been using Android for 7 years and is looking not too spend more money than necessary. Going iphone means the OP will pay a price premium AND have to learn a new interface. The suggestion doesn't make sense to me.
Sand101

Post by Sand101 »

Another recommendation for a Moto G. G8, G8 power are right in your price range. I have a G7 power and get a few days between charges. Solid phone.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

CrossOverGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:00 pm Samsung Galaxy A52 5k - mid-range level maybe around $500 now, works for the most part similarly to the older Galaxy models with lots of apps and about half the price of the new latest and greatest. Unless you're with a tech geek, it looks almost like the more expensive phones anyway. It has lots of apps and features. Plus, it got some very good reviews.
+1

Wife and I just upgraded to the Samsung A42 5g. Bought the unlocked version (no bloatware)... ~$350. Samsung Smart Switch ports over everything from your old Samsung (apps, contacts, photos, texts, etc). to the new one. Mint Mobile has an excellent plan at $15/ month for 4 gig data if it fits your needs.

https://www.mintmobile.com/
Last edited by TexasPE on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
dual

Re: events that require unfreezing credit

Post by dual »

Watty wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:11 pm

https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone/10962 ... mer-rating

It looks like they not longer have the exact Moto phone I got but they have several of them and other brands too.
+1 for the HSN bundles. I have used them for years and gotten them for my family and we have been happy with them.

As an example they have this Samsung phone now for $70 including shipping
Samsung Galaxy A10e 5.83" 32GB Tracfone w/1500 Minutes/Texts/Data
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

My wife and I have been using the Google Pixel 3. It's a fine phone. You can pick the last few models up on Amazon for relatively cheap.

JT
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

OP: in case you didn't pick up on it - the phones people are recommending by Google, Moto, and Samsung all run the Android Operating System so will provide you a similar (but updated) user experience to what you have today. The iPhones run Apples proprietary IOS operating system - "should" be easy for you to get used to over time but will require more work to learn versus updgrading what you have gotten used to.
shess

Post by shess »

SmileyFace wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:56 pm OP: in case you didn't pick up on it - the phones people are recommending by Google, Moto, and Samsung all run the Android Operating System so will provide you a similar (but updated) user experience to what you have today. The iPhones run Apples proprietary IOS operating system - "should" be easy for you to get used to over time but will require more work to learn versus updgrading what you have gotten used to.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure why people are making out that this is some huge head-exploding challenge. If the OP's phone is a seven-year-old Android device, then they'll likely have about as much to get used to with a new Android device as they would with a new iPhone. Likewise, if they OP is using a seven-year-old device, it's possible they aren't even using current versions of whatever installed apps they do use. If they're mostly using it to dial and to browse web pages periodically, then the change isn't going to be all that amazing other than maybe speed. And they obviously aren't using anything they consider non-negotiable, because if they were they would have already been able to narrow things down.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Since you were happy w a 7-yr old phone, I suggest you pick something out of the Moto line, one level up from the bottom price tier. Motos are solid android phones with no fuss for a reasonable price.

Personally I just switched to a Pixel 5a after my Pixel 2 started having battery problems at 4 yrs old. Very pleased, but I am also willing to pay a bit more to have access to security and software updates immediately, which may not matter to you.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

shess wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm If the OP's phone is a seven-year-old Android device, then they'll likely have about as much to get used to with a new Android device as they would with a new iPhone.
I disagree. Android has changed a bit over the years but going to iphone will be very foreign for a non-tech-savvy user (and why pay an unnecessary premium to do so).
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I definitely would not switch to iPhone. Not that they're bad or anything, but they tend to be a bit more expensive and focus more on the higher end of the market. There are people saying you can get older iPhones that still work, and that's true, but at that point, you're often giving up years of important security updates, features, battery life, screen durability, etc. which all have to factor into the value equation. I personally would prefer a brand new cheap Android over a comparable old iPhone at the same price, but that's just me. Security fixes are by far the most important thing to stay up to date with, but there are other concerns too, like not having the latest security hardware, or encountering more software/app bugs due to older system software and deprecated interfaces.

Motorola remains one of the best budget-mid-range Android brands on the market. They've been the sweet spot for years, even as the other major brands have all continued creeping up-market towards higher-priced devices. Basically the only way to get cheaper phones than Motorola is to look at really off-brand stuff with questionable quality and support. Motorola tends to have great sales too, so subscribe to their mailing list and you'll get notified of all kinds of sales. My current phone is a Moto x4 but I'm looking to upgrade at some point in the near future, and I like opening up all their sale newsletters just to see what's available, even though I've been putting off upgrading for many months now.

I'm on Mint Mobile's cheapest plan, so clearly I'm not big into the major carriers, but I think it's always worth checking out their options. Generally speaking, their "free" phones aren't really free when you read the fine print and realize they're basically recuperating the cost of their phones with mandatory surcharges over the term of the agreement. However, T-Mobile in particular has had some good deals in the past since getting rid of long-term contracts, where you can get a significant discount on a high-end phone for using their service for just a few months. I don't know what they're offering now so that may be completely irrelevant, but I'd check it out in the off chance that you can score a good deal.

Black Friday / Cyber Monday have historically been good times to shop for phone deals. In recent years, the savings have been spread out more outside of those 2 days themselves, and I read an article recently suggesting that because of pandemic supply chain troubles, retailers would be looking to spread out the shopping season even more. So be on the lookout for deals starting as early as this month and continuing pretty much through the end of the year. I would not be surprised if some of the best deals come up in early November. Subscribe to multiple major brand and retailer mailing lists, and also consider using cash back portals like Rakuten / TopCashback, especially if you can take advantage of new user bonuses (don't sign up until you're ready to buy so they don't expire). Given how outdated your current phone is, I highly doubt you'll want something more than a mid-range Motorola phone, but if you could see yourself taking advantage of things like bigger or even flip screens to watch movies, multitask, etc., it's always nice to have higher-end specs if you can get the right price. Any of Samsung's major phones should be a very nice upgrade given how long you've had your current one, but they can get up there in price near iPhone territory.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Sand101 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm Another recommendation for a Moto G. G8, G8 power are right in your price range. I have a G7 power and get a few days between charges. Solid phone.
Big Moto fans here. I've got a Moto G Stylus. My wife just upgraded her Moto G7 to the latest Moto Power (for similar reasons as the OP... looming lack of network support from our provider).

They work great, do everything we need, and the price is tough to beat.
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
Topic Author
Cautionary Tale

Thanks again everyone. How about galaxy A32? I went to the T-Mobile store and they said this phone would be FREE if I switched from Walmart Family Mobile. It's their best free phone with a carrier switch. Of course, I forgot to ask how much monthly bills would be. That's where I don't want to get too hosed..a free phone, but then paying way more monthly, and in the long run, paying more. That's what's a bit confusing here...all these things like Mint mobile, republic, etc,are cheaper but I imagine there's a catch somewhere.
Topic Author
Cautionary Tale

Thanks dboeger. I see you somewhat my last question about T-mobile in your previous post, which I didn't catch.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

sycamore wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:44 pm I assume you'd like to stick with Android phones?

Last year I got the Google Pixel 4a for $349. It's been replaced with the Pixel 5a (with 5G support) but at a higher price point of $449.
Google no longer sells the 4a but apparently you can still get it new at, for example, Amazon for $349.

Both of these are very good mid-range phones in my opinion - good security updates, good camera & software, minimal "bloatware".

The main downside of the 4a is that Google has guaranteed support for Android updates only through Aug 2023.
Meanwhile the Pixel 5a (5G) has support guaranteed through Aug 2024.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/a ... xel-phones

Another mid-range option (per https://www.anandtech.com/show/9770/best-android-phones) is the Samsung A52.
+ 1 for the 4a. The 5a is much larger. If enormous size is not an issue, I'd go with one of the lower cost Motorola's.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

If you're planning on staying with Walmart Family Mobile, I would get a phone through them so you can be sure it's one that works on the frequency bands they use (I believe they're a T-Mobile network MVNO).
I see they have some decent Android smart phones starting at around $20.
https://www.walmart.com/browse/cell-pho ... =price_low
If you don't know that there's some specific feature you/need want, I would go cheap first, then you might learn what you want (or don't want).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Should do some reading on Wirecutter: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... oid-phone/

They have articles on iPhone too.
High-end Android phones can cost $1,000 or more, but you don’t need to spend that much to get a great phone. The OnePlus Nord N200 5G is fast enough for most people, it has a sharp display and a powerful processor, and it even offers 5G connectivity—a rare feature for a phone that costs just $240.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Cautionary Tale wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:43 pm How about galaxy A32? I went to the T-Mobile store and they said this phone would be FREE if I switched from Walmart Family Mobile.
Not a bad phone. Check to see if your hands like the keyboard and that the screen suits your eyes in both bright daylight and darkness. Find out if the salesperson will help you transfer bookmarks and contact lists. It's not "difficult" to transfer your data, but tedious to have to learn the process once every 7 years.

Pre-paid plans tend to be lower cost than monthly plans
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

DW got one of these a few months ago. Especially good for people with low vision due to accessibility options. Siri is great for making calls and texts, reading texts aloud, etc. And a reasonable price.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

...and...DW has an iPad. There is a bit of familiarity with the Apple iOS that carries over.

Also, if getting the SE2020 from Verizon, watch out for the offer to make it "free." That requires an unlimited data plan. Which would cost more over our current 2GB plan to make it a poor deal. We just bought the phone for the $399.
Generator515

Post by Generator515 »

Someone mentioned above but I'd look in to the Pixel A line. Cheaper. Most of same features as their flagship including incredible camera if that matters. Big plus is you get the monthly security updates on day 1 which gives me peace of mind compared to other android devices which need to wait for the brand and carrier to roll it out.
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 pm I don't know that Apple support their phones longer than Samsung. You opened with a statement that you had your galaxy s3 since 2014 and only now starting having problems with support - and someone brags that they got 2 iphones in 2017 and only had to replace one...hmmm....
I don't think you understand what 'support' means here. We are talking about software updates for both features and, far more importantly, security updates. The OP's 2014 Samsung hasn't received a software update in more than six years. Meanwhile, an iPhone from 2014 would have received all software updates up until June 2021 when iOS 15 was released.

The six year old iPhone 6S is still receiving the same software updates as a brand new iPhone 13 Pro. While a two year old Samsung will never see a new version of Android.

This is a major problem in the Android world and some manufacturers are getting much better about it (Google promises three years of updates for Pixel phones currently) but it is still a completely different world of support from Apple.

Whether the OP decides to go with an iPhone or an Android, the important thing is to continue to update the software on any device you own that connects to the internet. Especially a smart phone. OP has been taking serious cyber security risks for 5 or more years on the most important device in anyone's modern life.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

MJS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:21 pm [ Find out if the salesperson will help you transfer bookmarks and contact lists. It's not "difficult" to transfer your data, but tedious to have to learn the process once every 7 years.
If it is Samsung to Samsung, their Smart Switch app will move everything - just install the app on both Samsung phones - the app will do the rest. You may have to re-enter username and passwords on some apps. Just did this moving from an S7 to A42 5g.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

I recently upgraded my Samsung S6 Edge to a Samsung Galaxy S20. Love it Got a refurbished one from Back Market. You pick which carrier, unlocked, etc. Warranty, great return policy. I was amazed at what it does over my old one. Easy to move everything with the App mentioned above. EXCEPT usernames, etc I had saved on some APPS.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Alchemist wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:25 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 pm I don't know that Apple support their phones longer than Samsung. You opened with a statement that you had your galaxy s3 since 2014 and only now starting having problems with support - and someone brags that they got 2 iphones in 2017 and only had to replace one...hmmm....
I don't think you understand what 'support' means here. We are talking about software updates for both features and, far more importantly, security updates. The OP's 2014 Samsung hasn't received a software update in more than six years. Meanwhile, an iPhone from 2014 would have received all software updates up until June 2021 when iOS 15 was released.

The six year old iPhone 6S is still receiving the same software updates as a brand new iPhone 13 Pro. While a two year old Samsung will never see a new version of Android.

This is a major problem in the Android world and some manufacturers are getting much better about it (Google promises three years of updates for Pixel phones currently) but it is still a completely different world of support from Apple.

Whether the OP decides to go with an iPhone or an Android, the important thing is to continue to update the software on any device you own that connects to the internet. Especially a smart phone. OP has been taking serious cyber security risks for 5 or more years on the most important device in anyone's modern life.
If you are going to pay 3x or 4x the price for a phone to have the Apple logo (or an infinite amount more - as OP mentioned with a contract an Android phone can be had for free) I suppose its great if you get updates 2x or 3x longer but my point was the phone itself may not last that long.
I also disagree that the phone is necessarily the OPs most important device. Guessing no online banking, etc. done from phone. Most banks, etc block dated OS/browsers and not everyone is using their smartphone to the extent you are.