Lexus 20k mile service cost comparison

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rockstar

Re: Lexus 20k mile service cost comparison

Post by rockstar »

You can fill your tires up with nitrogen at Costco for free. A tire pressure gauge is less than $10 at Amazon.

You should be able to get oil changes for about $65 or a little bit more for full synthetic. What you choose depends on your engine. I'd knock a 1 or 2 thousand off the recommend change period as these assume perfect driving conditions.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube for changing your engine air filter and cabin air filter. You should find both aftermarket for less than $20 each, or you can buy them from the parts department at the dealer if you want OEM. These will cost you a little bit more.

Once you replace your tires, you can get free tire rotation and balance at Discount Tire.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:37 pm You can fill your tires up with nitrogen at Costco for free. A tire pressure gauge is less than $10 at Amazon.

You should be able to get oil changes for about $65 or a little bit more for full synthetic. What you choose depends on your engine. I'd knock a 1 or 2 thousand off the recommend change period as these assume perfect driving conditions.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube for changing your engine air filter and cabin air filter. You should find both aftermarket for less than $20 each, or you can buy them from the parts department at the dealer if you want OEM. These will cost you a little bit more.

Once you replace your tires, you can get free tire rotation and balance at Discount Tire.
C'mon. How many purchasers of new Lexi are gonna do their own service?
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 am
rockstar wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:37 pm You can fill your tires up with nitrogen at Costco for free. A tire pressure gauge is less than $10 at Amazon.

Changing air filters is trivial. No idea why anyone would pay this up charge.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

rockstar wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:37 pm

I know a person who buys vehicles that includes they pick it up from his home for service. He doesn’t have the time. He either works constantly or travels constantly. He is a neurosurgeon. The minimal savings is insignificant compared to his time.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Californiastate wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 pm

I know a person who buys vehicles that includes they pick it up from his home for service. He doesn’t have the time. He either works constantly or travels constantly. He is a neurosurgeon. The minimal savings is insignificant compared to his time.
I know a doctor that works on cars in his spare time.

Replacing the air filter takes 5 minutes. Replacing the cabin air filter takes 5 minutes. Neither are time consuming. It takes me longer to replace the air filters in my home because I have to get a ladder.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Ignore dealer service packages - they are 100% a scam. Your owner's manual has a very specific guide for maintenance. Maintain your car only by what items and mileage as specified in the manual. Maintain the car a la cart as needed by the book and ignore service packages. You can save a lot by learning to install engine and cabin air filters diy - in most cases a 5 minute job. Same for windshield wipers, wiper fluid, and air pressure in tires. Most tire shops (Costco also and they fill with nitrogen) will check and top up tires with air as a free (and quick) drive up service (just pull up in front of service bay where you see an air hose reel).

Mileage based service packages were invented sometime in the early 1990's because by that time most cars had become far too reliable to keep the service department profitable. The newer cars since late 80's did not require repairs often enough for the dealer service departments to survive so they had to get creative in marketing overpriced service packages.
cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

I purchased a certified pre-owned ES 350 in 2010. I took it to the dealer for the first service because it was complimentary. They recommended a whole bunch of things I needed to replace, which was interesting given I just bought the car certified pre-owned six months prior to that. I also saw the prices and almost fainted. I never went back. I always used a local mechanic that I trusted. However, I have noticed variation in Lexus dealership service prices. Some are more reasonable, if you want dealer service.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

jabberwockOG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:43 am Ignore dealer service packages - they are 100% a scam. Your owner's manual has a very specific guide for maintenance. Maintain your car only by what items and mileage as specified in the manual. Maintain the car a la cart as needed by the book and ignore service packages. You can save a lot by learning to install engine and cabin air filters diy - in most cases a 5 minute job. Same for windshield wipers, wiper fluid, and air pressure in tires. Most tire shops (Costco also and they fill with nitrogen) will check and top up tires with air as a free (and quick) drive up service (just pull up in front of service bay where you see an air hose reel).

Mileage based service packages were invented sometime in the early 1990's because by that time most cars had become far too reliable to keep the service department profitable. The newer cars since late 80's did not require repairs often enough for the dealer service departments to survive so they had to get creative in marketing overpriced service packages.
Around here, there was a dealer offering a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on their cars for "free". It covered everything.

But here was the fine print: you had to sign up for, and use the dealer service packages on a strict schedule -- their strict schedule, not the manufacturer's. Every service, even a wiper blade, had to be done by their service department.

Missed a date? Got a battery or something somewhere else? Then their special warranty was forever void. Since the warranty is free and not from the manufacturer, it apparently doesn't fall under some of the generous service provisions of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

Note I said "was offering." I haven't seen ads from them offering it anymore. Perhaps someone went to court. All I know is there was a lot of complaining about how the warranty was voided because someone got a battery somewhere else.
Californiastate

rockstar wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Replacing the air filter takes 5 minutes. Replacing the cabin air filter takes 5 minutes. Neither are time consuming. It takes me longer to replace the air filters in my home because I have to get a ladder.
Where is the value in changing your own air filters if you can afford to pay somebody else? Do you expect Bill Gates to change his own air filters? How about Leno?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

rockstar wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:34 pm I know a doctor that works on cars in his spare time.

I'm sure there are physicians who do their own mechanical work, and others who don't - maybe not even disproportionately to the entire population(?) - so I don't think that's conclusive.

However I know I've made potentially serious mistakes with my own, and much worse to other people's, cars while doing routine tasks like oil changes. And sometimes cabin air filter changes have taken me much longer than 5 minutes, not to mention being uncomfortable and/or difficult. On average Bogleheads have much more positive experiences with d-i-y than I do, or at least believe they do.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Californiastate wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 am

Where is the value in changing your own air filters if you can afford to pay somebody else? Do you expect Bill Gates to change his own air filters? How about Leno?
This is essentially lifestyle creep. It's why there are a lot of high paid professionals with very little net worth.
sport

Post by sport »

rockstar wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:56 pm This is essentially lifestyle creep. It's why there are a lot of high paid professionals with very little net worth.
When it comes to car maintenance, I have come to conclusion that if it is simple and easy, it won't cost much to get it done. If it is difficult, I can't do it anyway. So, I just don't worry about it. BTW, my net worth is just fine. :mrgreen:
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:45 am Wife has a 2019 Lexus UXh with 20k miles. She was upset at the cost of service (around $400, I believe) at our local Lexus dealership.

She only want to get it serviced at a dealership.

I believe the 20k service includes:
Replace Engine Oil and Filter
Replace Cabin Air Filter
Rotate Tires
Test Battery
Check and Adjust Tire Pressures
Top Off fluids

Is there an easy way to find out how much different dealerships would charge for this? We live in North East PA, if it matters.
If you want to pay through the nose for basic service, go to a Lexus, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, BmW, Porsche, Land Rover/Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes, Audi, Bentley or similar dealer. If you just want to simply overpay, go to any other dealer.
  • Motor oil is motor oil, assuming the same grade, rating (SAE SN) and type (mineral, synthetic, or mix). You won't get better synthetic oil than Mobil 1, even at a dealer. Why pay more for the same thing?
  • What symptoms is the battery showing at only 20,000 miles that it needs "testing?" How old is it (time, not miles)?
  • What fluids need "topping off?" Windshield wiper fluid? Anything else suggests a leak that needs repair, hopefully under warranty at 20,000 miles.
  • Why pay a dealer (or anyone) to replace a cabin air filter? If the filter is clean, it doesn't need replacing. If you really want the special lexus name printed on the hidden filter, buy an inflated price filter at the dealer, or to save money just by a purolator filter, which is the same thing.
  • Why pay someone to check you tire pressure? That is something I do anyway on a routine basis, especially now that temperatures are falling.
Last edited by criticalmass on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

A lot can DIY and good weekend project fun.
shel

Post by shel »

I think I paid close to $500 for the same service. Couldn't believe it when the dealer presented the bill. Net result: will never go back there again.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

criticalmass wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:05 pm If you want to pay through the nose for basic service, go to a Lexus, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, BmW, Porsche, Land Rover/Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes, Audi, Bentley or similar dealer. If you just want to simply overpay, go to any other dealer.
The good news is that most independents, even the lube chains, can easily service a Lexus (Toyota with nicer clothes). Those other makes probably really need the dealer or a "specialty independent".
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I can afford to pay somebody to change a light bulb or hang a picture, but still prefer to do myself. Similarly, changing a filter is a five minute task that is simple. I sometimes like to change oil, but that can be a far messier job that requires more setup and cleanup, so I pay the $30-50 for someone else to do in their garage.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:09 pm
criticalmass wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:05 pm If you want to pay through the nose for basic service, go to a Lexus, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, BmW, Porsche, Land Rover/Jaguar, Maserati, Mercedes, Audi, Bentley or similar dealer. If you just want to simply overpay, go to any other dealer.
The good news is that most independents, even the lube chains, can easily service a Lexus (Toyota with nicer clothes). Those other makes probably really need the dealer or a "specialty independent".
Avoid quick lube chains like the plague. Seriously - many of these places employ low wage "techs" with zero skills and little motivation to do the job right. Car forums are filled with horror stories of no oil in the engine, stripped oil pans, motor oil in transmissions, AT fluid in brake systems, etc - simple mistakes made by techs who are either incompetent, not paying attention, hungover, etc - mistakes that cost thousands of dollars to repair.
Californiastate

rockstar wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:56 pm

This is essentially lifestyle creep. It's why there are a lot of high paid professionals with very little net worth.
It's not morally or ethically wrong to enjoy the fruits of your labor or good fortune. Who am I to thumb my nose at somebody who makes $1m a year but doesn't change their own air filter?
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I've never understood the allure of nitrogen. I can fill tires at home with air for free.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

snackdog wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:55 pm
I've never understood the allure of nitrogen. I can fill tires at home with air for free.
You would need non-free equipment to inflate a tire at home. If you drive to a free air outlet, you would have the cost of driving there, at least if you weren't going there anyway. I'm finding a lack of free air filling stations lately, although one chain of gas stations near me still offers free air. The pumps aren't in the best repair, though, and you might end up with as much fluid as air in the tires if you aren't careful.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Sorry this thread keeps popping to top - as if this has a lot of important things to cover/offer. Then this deviated into Nitro or free air fillup and such. Where this thread heading.

If your car is “more” valuable now (since last 10 months) - protect and take care of it “the best you can” — lest, you may not (or willing-to) afford your own car (or afford to replace at high prices) in current market place !!
Last edited by sc9182 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 pm
snackdog wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:55 pm
You would need non-free equipment to inflate a tire at home. If you drive to a free air outlet, you would have the cost of driving there, at least if you weren't going there anyway. I'm finding a lack of free air filling stations lately, although one chain of gas stations near me still offers free air. The pumps aren't in the best repair, though, and you might end up with as much fluid as air in the tires if you aren't careful.
Fortunately, I already own a $20 bike pump, that has lasted a few decades. Since the $20 is fully depreciated on my books and I didn't purchase it for car maintenance anyway, it is already "free" to use for the car. Nitrogen doesn't offer me anything more vs 80% nitrogen pouring out of my bike pump, but it costs more.