Six inch scratch on Honda - touch up paint options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Six inch scratch on Honda - touch up paint options

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Approximately a six inch scratch on a Honda Accord. What self touch up paint options exist? Not looking for perfect, just something that a) makes it less obvious optically, and b) provides some level of protection.

Thank you.
Cicero123

Re: Six inch scratch on Honda - touch up paint options

Post by Cicero123 »

If it is not deep, try a “nano” scratch remover cloth. You can find on Amazon for about $10-15. I’ve had surprising good luck on scratches that are just in the clear coat.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:49 am Approximately a six inch scratch on a Honda Accord. What self touch up paint options exist? Not looking for perfect, just something that a) makes it less obvious optically, and b) provides some level of protection.

Thank you.
So this car isn't worth having the scratch fixed properly, I assume?

Assuming you need paint (which it sounds like is the case), I have a moderate amount of experience with every kind of automotive paint in the d-i-y sense. I've never had any success with spraying paint; I think that only works in internet videos. Or maybe skill is required which leaves me out. So I use little bottles of paint, and of course the little bottles of manufactured paint that used to be available cheaply from the dealer have been discontinued, so the remaining ones are priced like...well, similar to buying the entire car. So I need to buy the (surprisingly cheap) little bottles of mixed paint from ebay. And no the color doesn't quite match, unlike the manufactured paint. The point being, the options for your car will vary. For chips, the touch-up works to some extent as long as there's no rust underneath. It can be hard to tell if there's rust, or the beginnings of rust. In one chip case with light rust I had success with rust converter gel (in plenty of other cases, not so.) You might not know for months of course. For scratches I've had less success hiding them vs. chips for whatever reason, although it depends where they are. In either case it's very difficult to match the height of the paint, no matter how much rubbing/polishing you do. The paint pools in the crack or chip, so then if you make that smooth with rubbing, when you add clearcoat it's going to sit on top, and when you rub that "down", you're basically rubbing it off. So now you have paint without clearcoat so visually you get a different appearance of depth.

As I mentioned the alternate approach that I've also tried is to sand down the area around the scratch and try to blend the result using spray. After a few tries I know I don't have the skill to do that.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Project Farm has an excellent video on which scratch remover works best. I suggest you watch that.
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Cicero123 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 am If it is not deep, try a “nano” scratch remover cloth. You can find on Amazon for about $10-15. I’ve had surprising good luck on scratches that are just in the clear coat.
Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Carfidant-Scratc ... r+for+cars
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I had OK 20-foot look results with this product on a DIY repair I didn't want to have professionally repaired. Color match is close enough. In my case, it was down to bare metal.

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/scra ... -up-paint/
strafe

Post by strafe »

1. This is the wrong forum to get advice.
2. The best fix depends on the depth not the length of the scratch. Need photos.

Take a picture of it and post on a detailing forum like Meguiars Online, Autopia.org or Autogeek Online.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

many years ago I went to a shop that was able to match the paint code of the car and put the paint into a spray can. Wasn't perfect but better than the other options.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Honda makes paint pens available in their original colors - you just need your paint code. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-08 ... B014LHNF6S
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

niagara_guy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:54 pm many years ago I went to a shop that was able to match the paint code of the car and put the paint into a spray can. Wasn't perfect but better than the other options.
That's the same process as on ebay I mentioned: the vendor mixes the paint according to the paint code. I'll guess that the accuracy limitation is a result of the small quantities involved. It's not like they're mixing a gallon. It's always close, just seemingly not as accurate as the factory-packaged touch-up paint.
FrugalFed

Post by FrugalFed »

Scratches are often only into the clear coat. If you don't see bare metal, give Meguiar's products a try. Scratch-X at first, and then Ultimate Compound if that doesn't work. Check out YouTube for guidace on how to use (manual application should be fine for your purposes).
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Every used car lot has a touch-up guy that shows up once a week to work on their trade-ins. They do paintless dent pull as well as paint touch-up using an airbrush. Call a few lots and ask when their touch-up guy will be there next. For about $100 they can make the scratch unnoticeable from 10 feet away.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:54 am Every used car lot has a touch-up guy that shows up once a week to work on their trade-ins. They do paintless dent pull as well as paint touch-up using an airbrush. Call a few lots and ask when their touch-up guy will be there next. For about $100 they can make the scratch unnoticeable from 10 feet away.
My experience, months later, the scratches show up after a car lot purchase, they are experts at minimal effort/short term fixes.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

You can go to Home Depot with a sample of your car color and get an exact paint color match.
Small jar, less than $10. This is your easiest solution.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

FrugalFed wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:26 pm Scratches are often only into the clear coat. If you don't see bare metal, give Meguiar's products a try. Scratch-X at first, and then Ultimate Compound if that doesn't work. Check out YouTube for guidace on how to use (manual application should be fine for your purposes).
+1
This works for me, and I am very picky about how my car looks.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 pm
DarkHelmetII wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:49 am Approximately a six inch scratch on a Honda Accord. What self touch up paint options exist? Not looking for perfect, just something that a) makes it less obvious optically, and b) provides some level of protection.

Thank you.
So this car isn't worth having the scratch fixed properly, I assume?

Assuming you need paint (which it sounds like is the case), I have a moderate amount of experience with every kind of automotive paint in the d-i-y sense. I've never had any success with spraying paint; I think that only works in internet videos. Or maybe skill is required which leaves me out. So I use little bottles of paint, and of course the little bottles of manufactured paint that used to be available cheaply from the dealer have been discontinued, so the remaining ones are priced like...well, similar to buying the entire car. So I need to buy the (surprisingly cheap) little bottles of mixed paint from ebay. And no the color doesn't quite match, unlike the manufactured paint. The point being, the options for your car will vary. For chips, the touch-up works to some extent as long as there's no rust underneath. It can be hard to tell if there's rust, or the beginnings of rust. In one chip case with light rust I had success with rust converter gel (in plenty of other cases, not so.) You might not know for months of course. For scratches I've had less success hiding them vs. chips for whatever reason, although it depends where they are. In either case it's very difficult to match the height of the paint, no matter how much rubbing/polishing you do. The paint pools in the crack or chip, so then if you make that smooth with rubbing, when you add clearcoat it's going to sit on top, and when you rub that "down", you're basically rubbing it off. So now you have paint without clearcoat so visually you get a different appearance of depth.

As I mentioned the alternate approach that I've also tried is to sand down the area around the scratch and try to blend the result using spray. After a few tries I know I don't have the skill to do that.
Excellent instructions!

Also have a long scratch on my "new car" that I bought dealer OEM touch up paint but little experience with using it.
Mahalo
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dbr

Post by dbr »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:54 am Every used car lot has a touch-up guy that shows up once a week to work on their trade-ins. They do paintless dent pull as well as paint touch-up using an airbrush. Call a few lots and ask when their touch-up guy will be there next. For about $100 they can make the scratch unnoticeable from 10 feet away.
I do know from hobby painting that anything less than airbrushing has no chance of leaving a nearly invisible repair.

To get cosmetic perfection going to a body shop to repaint the whole panel is probably required, in my experience. That is easy on a door, hood, or trunk and more work elsewhere.

I have repaired lots of dings using little bottles of paint and that stops the entry of any corrosion, but it will be pretty obvious on inspection.

Maybe a clear coat repair is feasible.

The best hint for maintaining old cars against rust is to choose a car color the same as rust primer enamel which is also close to rust itself.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dbr wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:37 am
I do know from hobby painting that anything less than airbrushing has no chance of leaving a nearly invisible repair.

To get cosmetic perfection going to a body shop to repaint the whole panel is probably required, in my experience. That is easy on a door, hood, or trunk and more work elsewhere.

I have repaired lots of dings using little bottles of paint and that stops the entry of any corrosion, but it will be pretty obvious on inspection.

The best hint for maintaining old cars against rust is to choose a car color the same as rust primer enamel which is also close to rust itself.
I have the OEM touch up paint bottle from the Honda dealer for several substantial scratches on my right front bumper/corner panel (plastic).

These are my same thoughts. . . my Honda is brand new and using the touch up paint is never going to look "brand new". From my past experience, sometimes using touch up paint just makes the car panel look like it's been scratched and has touch up paint on it VS looking brand new again. Depending on the size of the scratch.

Your post has me thinking that it wouldn't hurt to stop by a body shop just to find out how much it would cost to do this fix properly.

Or, maybe try the touch up paint brush thing and then, after awhile, if it still bugs me, then take the car to a body shop to paint the corner panel.

This might be a good "middle road" option for the OP.

What do you think?

THanks!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Regarding repainting the area, once I had damage on a quarter panel and got a bunch of estimates for too much money. Then I got another one for 40% the amount of the other ones. It was from an established well-known body shop. They did a good job - yes I could see the blending but only if I was looking very hard for it, nothing like a d-i-y blend, so much better. And then within a year, like every other provider (hvac, electrician, siding guy, etc.) I've found who's done excellent work for half the price or less of anybody else's estimates, they went out of business. Seriously every one - gone.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:48 am

I have the OEM touch up paint bottle from the Honda dealer for several substantial scratches on my right front bumper/corner panel (plastic).

These are my same thoughts. . . my Honda is brand new and using the touch up paint is never going to look "brand new". From my past experience, sometimes using touch up paint just makes the car panel look like it's been scratched and has touch up paint on it VS looking brand new again. Depending on the size of the scratch.

Your post has me thinking that it wouldn't hurt to stop by a body shop just to find out how much it would cost to do this fix properly.

Or, maybe try the touch up paint brush thing and then, after awhile, if it still bugs me, then take the car to a body shop to paint the corner panel.

What do you think?

THanks!
To get a close to perfect repair the entire panel would need to be repainted and some blending with adjacent panels may be required. If its a new car the paint should still match pretty well. There are also complexities and challenges in having panels repainted, but it is the way to get as close as possible to an invisible repair.
I personally would go with a touch-up guy repair and see how it looks. And I agree that trying a diy repair with parts department purchased tube of touch-up paint almost always looks bad.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

jabberwockOG wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:41 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:48 am

What do you think?

THanks!
To get a close to perfect repair the entire panel would need to be repainted and some blending with adjacent panels may be required. If its a new car the paint should still match pretty well. There are also complexities and challenges in having panels repainted, but it is the way to get as close as possible to an invisible repair.
I personally would go with a touch-up guy repair and see how it looks. And I agree that trying a diy repair with parts department purchased tube of touch-up paint almost always looks bad.
Great points.
I needed a good perspective on this.

thanks!
Cicero123

Post by Cicero123 »

>>>> Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Carfidant-Scratc ... r+for+cars

Sorry, haven’t looked in lately. I meant something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sparkle-Scratche ... UTF8&psc=1

Might have to remove some line returns, or just search on “nano cloth scratch remover”