Hospital RN: pay range increase applied unfairly?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Tenesmus83

Re: Hospital RN: pay range increase applied unfairly?

Post by Tenesmus83 »

travel RNs are getting payed quite a bit now a days. If you don't family reasons to keep you tied down, it might worth considering.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 am travel RNs are getting payed quite a bit now a days. If you don't family reasons to keep you tied down, it might worth considering.
My SIL tripled her income by going the traveling route. FWIW, she's been doing it since March of 2020 and she's only been at two different hospitals, one for more than the last year. They keep re-upping her contract because they can't stay staffed. She has family (my brother and my two nieces), but they've managed to figure it out OK.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

camillus wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:08 pm I surely do appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

First, some additional information:
-my hospital is currently paying 100% incentive for any extra shifts
-I have unfortunately not been able to take advantage of this due to a working spouse and young kids
-there may be “retention bonus contracts” coming in “a few weeks” for those at the top of the pay scale.

My current plan:
-voice displeasure with management at a lack of raise
-after a few weeks of seeing what happens I plan to switch to PRN, but pick up extra shifts (my old schedule!) at 100% incentive.
-before and while PRN, exploring other professional options.

I think the thing I have to get over is being “disloyal” and “unpleasant” with my friends at work and unit leadership.
Comparison is the thief of joy.
Unable to work more or differently, I would focus on your life and family and quality and ignore everything else.
Whatever negative remains, channel towards positive. For us, it was saving, saving, and investing outside the workplace.
Me thinks the travel rn ideas are okay but ignore this persons family situation.
I’ve heard tales of hospital nurses making more than travel nurses the past few months.
Pale Blue Dot
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

cockersx3 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:34 amAs far as my recent employer goes - yeah, this is what I'm seeing. Experienced people leaving (either retiring or going part time), and the positions are being backfilled with more junior staff.
Are they doing layoffs? That's not something I've heard at all within my professional network.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:12 pm
cockersx3 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:34 amAs far as my recent employer goes - yeah, this is what I'm seeing. Experienced people leaving (either retiring or going part time), and the positions are being backfilled with more junior staff.
Are they doing layoffs? That's not something I've heard at all within my professional network.
No, no layoffs post-COVID, but plenty in my industry pre-COVID. Instead they are driving the return-to-office very hard, which is triggering the voluntary departure of a lot of more experienced staff.
Topic Author
camillus

Post by camillus »

Update: It looks like I - along with thousands of other nurses in my hospital system - will be getting a 12k (FT) or 7k (PT) retention bonus paid next month for a year contract. This is a crazy time.

I’ll admit this has appeased me a bit but I’m going to have to watch what happens in my area very closely.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

camillus wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:33 pm Update: It looks like I - along with thousands of other nurses in my hospital system - will be getting a 12k (FT) or 7k (PT) retention bonus paid next month for a year contract. This is a crazy time.

I’ll admit this has appeased me a bit but I’m going to have to watch what happens in my area very closely.
That is good news! Congrats!
“I didn’t want my sailboat to be in the driveway when I died.” Nomadland
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

My DW ran into this issue when Covid was just starting and was let go from her ER job....30 odd years of RN experiance gone...so she went literally across the city and was hired in at a 17% increase in wages...DD is a PA and she she went to her boss a few months ago to tell the hospital that she would not be renewing her contract in December and was told fine....we can replace you with someone with 10 years less experience at a lower rate...then last week her boss comes to her with a new offer package at nearly a 50% increase...DD said she will think about it and get back to them...this whole world is nuts if you ask me...When nurses make more than PAs, or Doctors things get a little fuzzy....BUT...think about it...you need all of them to survive in a hospital so...
This is why we give the long snapper a full ride as well as the kicker...
user9532

Post by user9532 »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 am travel RNs are getting payed quite a bit now a days. If you don't family reasons to keep you tied down, it might worth considering.
Do travel nurses get benefits such as health insurance and 401(k) contribution? Who employs the travel nurse, the hospital or some employment agency?
Where can I get some more info? I have a family member who is an RN at a hospital considering other choices.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

4nursebee wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:23 am Comparison is the thief of joy.
There is deep truth in this.

That said, unjust pay increases may very well be indicative of management that has no regard at all for existing employees. If that is the case, moving on may be the OP's best (and only viable) option.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

Anecdotal but in the hospital my GF works at RN's are getting something like 40% pay increases for moving to the hospital across town, in both directions... Hospital administration is laughably bad in most places, RN's are extremely high demand right now and there are large sign-on bonuses, abnormally high salaried offers going out, but none of it is apparently directed towards existing employees - they'd rather focus on new employees.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

I had something similar to this happen to me 25 years ago. In the announcement it wasn't clear what the impact would be on me so I asked my boss and he came back and said that I wasn't getting anything because I "made too much money". To his credit, he did kind of chuckle as he said it because he recognized the irony. Not sure if he ran it up the management chain or if enough of the affected people did, but to megacorp's credit, they figured out how to give all of us a bump that was fair. So there is hope. I hope yours works out well.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

user9532 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:50 pm
Do travel nurses get benefits such as health insurance and 401(k) contribution? Who employs the travel nurse, the hospital or some employment agency?
Where can I get some more info? I have a family member who is an RN at a hospital considering other choices.
You can get more info from companies that employ traveling nurses. Here's one company but there are many, many others.
https://www.fastaff.com/travel-nursing-jobs

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

SconnieBro wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:09 amKeep in mind travelers don't get insurance or benefits. ...
Not necessarily true. Many traveling clinical staff get benefits from the recruiting company that issues their paycheck. Those benefits are decent, at fair prices. If you work consistently for the same recruiter you may even get PTO.
Also, travelers are treated horribly by many staff nurses and in certain situations are constantly given the worst patients, most cases, etc.
That's generalizing inaccurately and unfairly. I'm sure it's true some of the time and some of the places, but not all of the time or all of the places.
Source: I've been in healthcare sales for 10+ years working with nurses at different hospitals every week. My wife is an RN who has years of both travel and staff experience at a handful of states across the country.
I have an RN license and worked in large hospitals and didn't see that. It is also inconsistent with DD's current experience as a traveling hospital PT for the past 3 years. Not an RN, but the same work environment.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

user9532 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:50 pm
Many recruiting agencies offer decent insurance at fair prices. Tax-deferred accounts are unlikely, but possible. The nurse is an employee of the agency.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

camillus wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:33 pm Update: It looks like I - along with thousands of other nurses in my hospital system - will be getting a 12k (FT) or 7k (PT) retention bonus paid next month for a year contract. This is a crazy time.

Did this happen after you complained to management?
NeverRanch

Post by NeverRanch »

I’m also an RN and I completely understand. A good few years ago, each RN was called into the nurse manager’s office for the “talk”. Prior to the talks we kept hearing from charge nurses how happy we were all going to be. When in the talk the manager rambled on about how our hospital wanted to bring pay up to the going rate. RNs with 25 years got a flat bonus of $2500 with no pay raise. Less senior nurses received decent size pay raises since our hospital just kinda stopped giving them a few years prior, Besides the annual COL increase. Those of us in the middle? Well we received nothing, no bonus, no pay raise and not even a token gift card :annoyed But we had to sit in that office to hear our hospital pat themselves on their back to only be told it didn’t apply to us

My memory is fuzzy, but I think this might have been in response to another hospital in our system going thru union contract negotiations. We are the non union nurses so they usually try to fluff our pillows around contract time. Guess we should be expecting another walk to the office since that contract is expired and the hospital workers including the RNs are on strike. It doesn’t sound like it’s going to good for the hospital. Maybe I’ll get a gift card this time. :beer
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

This is not unique to the RN world. I was lead engineer and for two years my manager said he couldn't give me a pay raise because I was the highest paid in the group and even a 2-3% raise for me left little room for raises for the less experienced. What's worse is that promotions for young engineers came out of the same raise pool so my taking a raise would mean a couple fairly fresh out of school kids wouldn't get a promotion they deserved. After two years of no raise I got a small raise in the third that was nowhere near commensurate with what I brought to the group so I retired. It's not the only reason I retired, but a piece of it.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I've never turned down a bonus, but they're no replacement for a raise. Raises compound, bonuses don't.
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

You could probably get a pay jump by moving jobs. I know my nursing instructors where saying back in the 90's some staff would literally keep jumping jobs for pay raise after pay raise. Some people would even work at hospital A for a few months, jump to hospital B for a pay raise, then a few months latter jump back to hospital A for another pay raise.

Personally my hospital will probably give a 10% pay raise across the board for RNs in 22 or 23 when they do the "competitive" adjustment. Sure that 10% will still equal less buying power since it will only be a net 6% increase after taxes and combined inflation for 21/22 will almost certainly surpass.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:25 am... Raises compound, bonuses don't.
Raises also affect 401k/403b savings and matching, where bonuses may not.
Dusn

Post by Dusn »

At my hospital the hospital executives emailed the physicians asking us to volunteer our time to work as RNs due to the nursing shortage.

I’m still not sure if they really believe that all our jobs are that interchangeable, why they think physicians have all this free time, and why they keep expecting us to work for free. I’m just going to assume that someone changed the calendar in the c-suite to April 1st.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

Complain to your union, if you're not a member start or join one.
Topic Author
camillus

Post by camillus »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:48 am

No, this looks like it is going out system wide. It may be a result of system-wide aggregate complaint. The bonus takes the sting out a little, but I still need a 7% raise to get myself back to my former spot in the hospital’s own payscale.

The bonus is a little bit of a moot point, as there will be sign-up bonuses other places. It’s still about the base wage.
Topic Author
camillus

Post by camillus »

Dusn wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 am At my hospital the hospital executives emailed the physicians asking us to volunteer our time to work as RNs due to the nursing shortage.

I’m still not sure if they really believe that all our jobs are that interchangeable, why they think physicians have all this free time, and why they keep expecting us to work for free. I’m just going to assume that someone changed the calendar in the c-suite to April 1st.
I would def watch this reality TV show.
Sgal8713

Post by Sgal8713 »

^^^

O man, me too. Just seeing hospitalists running around trying to figure what is beeping and how to fix it would be comfy gold. I literally only know how to press the "Restart" button on the IV pump and make sure it is plugged in. Everything else is met with a shrug.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

MittensMoney wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:32 pm Anecdotal but in the hospital my GF works at RN's are getting something like 40% pay increases for moving to the hospital across town, in both directions... Hospital administration is laughably bad in most places, RN's are extremely high demand right now and there are large sign-on bonuses, abnormally high salaried offers going out, but none of it is apparently directed towards existing employees - they'd rather focus on new employees.
To some extent it makes sense. Most people are sort of hesitant to leave the job they know for another one. You might not like everything about the job but it is something you know versus the potential unknowns of switching jobs and getting the manager from hell. You can get away with underpaying your existing employees. You also run into the problem in that a lot of fields some experience (say 10-15 years) is pretty darn valuable but the diminishing value after that is huge. Would you rather hire 4 people with 15 yers of experience or 3 with 30 years? For a lot of jobs the first choice is a bit more appealing.

As an individual all you can do is bring it up with your manager and vote with your feet. But odds are the same thing will play out in the future. You take your 20% pay raise by switching jobs and are now at the top of their scale. Next year when it is raise time, you aren't getting anything.

And how this unwinds will be interesting. It seems like jobs like this go from big shortages to having a surplus (i.e. enough people to keep the wages down) over a couple year period. And then the cycle repeats.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

camillus wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am
JoeRetire wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:48 am

No, this looks like it is going out system wide. It may be a result of system-wide aggregate complaint. The bonus takes the sting out a little, but I still need a 7% raise to get myself back to my former spot in the hospital’s own payscale.

The bonus is a little bit of a moot point, as there will be sign-up bonuses other places. It’s still about the base wage.
Okay. So have you decided to complain? Or are you just moving on?

By "your former spot in the hospital's own pay scale", I assume you mean that you want to remain in the 45th percentile?