[Help with tablet setup for Mom]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bfeenix44

[Help with tablet setup for Mom]

Post by bfeenix44 »

Ha!
I knew that subject title would get your attention. :P

I just bought my 97-year-old mom a tablet, and I did set it up with my Google account so I could do certain things on it for her. I'm coming to understand, however -- unless I'm mistaken -- there's no way for me to keep my account on the tablet, but just be logged out of the account so she can't mistakenly email things by accident to people, etc. I can't find anything online about whether this is possible -- it just says if you want to log out of your Google account you have to completely remove the account.

I don't HAVE to have the Google account on the device -- I'm just used to doing certain things (for example, I like apps from the Play Store), and things are easier for me to find, manage, etc. when I'm familiar. I can NOT have the Google account on the device, and just use things that are already on the device, which I may have to do, but this is less desirable.

I'd rather not set up an entirely separate account for her unless I have to -- I already have so much to keep track of between all the stuff I do for myself and for work and for my parents. Just wondering if anyone has an easier way to manage this?

thanks!
Last edited by Flyer24 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title clarity
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
JoeRetire

Re: help me lock my mom out

Post by JoeRetire »

It's not clear what you are trying to accomplish here.

- what operating system is on this tablet?
- you don't want Mom to use email at all?
- what is it that you want her to be able to do?

When I set up my mom's Windows computer for her, I just removed anything I didn't want her to use.
On my wife's Chromebook, if she doesn't have an icon for a specifically feature she doesn't know how to use it.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I think you should set up a Google account for her with her name/credentials, email, password etc. Two factor for extra security. You maybe have to use an alternate email or your phone to do 2 factor.

Do not link any payment methods. With your account on the tablet, anyone could pick it up and perhaps do some buying that you did not intend.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
walkabout

Re: [Help with tablet setup for Mom]

Post by walkabout »

Can you do something like deleting the apps that you don’t want her to use (eg mail, text)? And turning on parental controls to prevent purchases from the App Store?

If it were me, I would probably just create a new account for her and set it up such that you can apply parental controls to prevent her from doing things that you don’t want her to do.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

What kinds of things don't you want her doing from your Google account? You mentioned email - if that's the only concern, you could install a parental control app (ie like MMGuardian or something) to hide the Gmail app on the tablet.

Alternatively, is it too late to replace the tablet with a Chromebook? There's not that much additional trouble you can get yourself into with one of those, and they are pretty cheap. (Our family has largely gone away from tablets in favor or Chromebooks). Benefit here is that you can use Chrome Remote Desktop to log into the machine (for free!) and help her if needed.
Topic Author
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Tablet is a Samsung Tab A7 (Android).
Mom won't use anything but read news on the internet, and I steer her toward reputable sites and also have a news app for her to use. She may want to play Scrabble or listen to her favorite evangelist on YouTube, but that's about it. I just see that when she gets lost she starts hitting all kinds of things because she doesn't know her way around it yet.

I have been using my Google account to download apps (news and games) for her. After I put this stuff on for her, I deleted my Google account from the device... but then discovered the apps & games were no longer accessible if I wasn't logged in. I seem to remember when I got my first smartphone (years ago), I could log in and out of my Gmail without having to delete the account completely, or having apps become unavailable, etc.

Tonight I just noticed the Google apps are in a "folder" and when I deleted the folder it broke the apps out separately, and now I can see there is a "disable" function on them so maybe I'll try that on the apps I don't want her clicking into by accident. I'm not concerned about her seeing any of my stuff, I just don't want to have her doing weird things by accident. I don't have any payment methods set up, so I don't think that's a concern.

If the "disable" doesn't work, I'll probably just set up an account for her separately.

Thanks all, for the responses...
t
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

We set up a Google account for MIL and set everything up. She doesn't have to use the account for anything and we have the log in info, so we can keep an eye on things. Kind of a three way shared account. After all, we use our joint account for all of our devices.