Vanguard Customer Service 2021

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bondsr4me

Re: Amazing support from Vanguard

Post by bondsr4me »

whereskyle wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:36 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 am Last week we transferred 403(b) funds from Fidelity NetBenefits to Fidelity IRAs. We then initiated a transfer when the funds appeared in the Fidelity accounts (Roth and Traditional) on the morning of 7/8.

Later in the day, Vanguard sent an email saying that action was required, and to call a specific toll-free number. That number prompted an electronic message that there was no problem... I held for a representative, and was routed automatically to my Flagship rep, and then the team since he wasn't free.

Rep came on the phone, and said we needed to talk to the transfer area, and he would connect me. Then he said, "since they have a 40 minute wait, I'm going to suggest that you hang up and I'll call you and bring you on the line once they are free, no sense in your waiting with me for 40 minutes.

I have never had this happen with Vanguard, or any other company. Yes, I've had "we're busy, do you want us to call you back in approximately X hours?". But this rep waiting on the line internally, then he called me, then he put the transfer area on the phone.

Perhaps the message that has been drummed out day after day here has been heard by Vanguard? :shock:

By the way, I suggested they try again the next day, which they did, and the transfer started fine.
In my experience, the terrible Vanguard customer service is grossly exaggerated.
+1....I tend to agree.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

mkc wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:56 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 am

Later in the day, Vanguard sent an email saying that action was required, and to call a specific toll-free number. That number prompted an electronic message that there was no problem... I held for a representative, and was routed automatically to my Flagship rep, and then the team since he wasn't free.
Going to guess this is a "Flagship Select" rep?

Have not seen assigned "regular Flagship" reps in a couple of years, and our queries have been responded to by a number of random representatives, both by phone and by secure message. Even a back and forth on a secure message topic has different Vanguard names each time.
No, not Flagship Select. I never lost my rep when others said they did.
SmileyFace wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:58 am Taking funds from Fidelity - yeah - I am sure you got some prioritization especially if the transfer amounts were significant - and it didn't hurt that you were a flagship client to begin with. I wonder what the experience would have been had you not been flagship (wait - plenty of posts here for that - it would not have been amazing).
Significant? No, mid 5-figures.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
afan

Post by afan »

In the most recent JDPower survey, Vanguard came out on top for customer satisfaction for DIY investors.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Vanguard Customer Service 2021

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged RickBoglehead's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Picasso wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 am Last week we transferred 403(b) funds from Fidelity NetBenefits to Fidelity IRAs. We then initiated a transfer when the funds appeared in the Fidelity accounts (Roth and Traditional) on the morning of 7/8.

Rep came on the phone, and said we needed to talk to the transfer area, and he would connect me. Then he said, "since they have a 40 minute wait, I'm going to suggest that you hang up and I'll call you and bring you on the line once they are free, no sense in your waiting with me for 40 minutes.

I have never had this happen with Vanguard, or any other company. Yes, I've had "we're busy, do you want us to call you back in approximately X hours?". But this rep waiting on the line internally, then he called me, then he put the transfer area on the phone.

Perhaps the message that has been drummed out day after day here has been heard by Vanguard? :shock:

By the way, I suggested they try again the next day, which they did, and the transfer started fine.
In my experience, the terrible Vanguard customer service is grossly exaggerated.
Agree
It's all relative.
Relative to your past experience at Vanguard (which absolutely was better in the past), and relative to other current options.

I plan to keep my accounts at vanguard for now but I did have a really bad experience in Jan 2021, with very long hold times,
no call back when offered, and some online service that failed and told me to call when calling was not a practical option.
That said I find email support is still OK, but these days take a day to get back to you, in Jan 2021 took 3-4 days to reply.
I used to be able to schedule a call with my rep and get a knowledgeable response quickly, now I need to wait for email response,
and then wait again after further clarifying details are exchanged. Tolerable most but not all of the time this year.
Much better than tolerable historically.
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

beyou wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:47 am
Picasso wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 am

Agree
It's all relative.
Relative to your past experience at Vanguard (which absolutely was better in the past), and relative to other current options.

I plan to keep my accounts at vanguard for now but I did have a really bad experience in Jan 2021, with very long hold times,
no call back when offered, and some online service that failed and told me to call when calling was not a practical option.
That said I find email support is still OK, but these days take a day to get back to you, in Jan 2021 took 3-4 days to reply.
I used to be able to schedule a call with my rep and get a knowledgeable response quickly, now I need to wait for email response,
and then wait again after further clarifying details are exchanged. Tolerable most but not all of the time this year.
Much better than tolerable historically.

It’s about standard and expectation.

Some people have a higher tolerance and acceptance of subpar standard and their expectation is not high, hence waiting on the phone for a long time, not getting called back, having to repeat themselves in order to accomplish a simple task might deem acceptable to them as long as nothing disastrous happened.

Some people have a standard and expectation that corresponds with the type and scale of companies, so when companies with trillion dollars of AUM cannot render services with competence and professionalism expected of them, then these people would deem that as unacceptable.

The gauge is not an arbitrary personal opinion, but a comparison to other similar companies. So in this case, fidelity and schwab and such.

So if you don’t mind waiting for a long time on the phone or getting the run-arounds for days with multiple emails and etc to execute your financial tasks, good for you but that doesn’t mean that those who find that experience to be poor are exaggerating.
fds2

Post by fds2 »

A question - have been on the wait for 50 minutes.

How long are the phone queues these days?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

fds2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:43 pm A question - have been on the wait for 50 minutes.

Sounds about right, if you call right when the lines open in the morning your wait might be closer to 15 minutes.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:22 pm
fds2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:43 pm A question - have been on the wait for 50 minutes.

Sounds about right, if you call right when the lines open in the morning your wait might be closer to 15 minutes.
Why do people just accept this?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

marcopolo wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:14 pm
anon_investor wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Why do people just accept this?
I don't, I was calling Vanguard to convert MF to ETF to transfer to another brokerage...
Endur

What is happening with customer service at Vanguard?

Post by Endur »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I don't normally interact on the phone w/ Vanguard (maybe 1x a year) but they've scrubbed their website of their phone number, from what i can tell.
I googled the number and now it's literally been 20 minutes on hold to speak w/ someone. Occasionally, a dial tone will kick in like I'm being transferred but I'm getting a message saying an associate will be right with me.

The only reason I'm calling is that no one replied to my message from 1 week ago, very unlike Vanguard.
I recently bought an ETF about 1 month ago, but the option to re-invest divs is greyed out.
ResearchMed

Re: What is happening with customer service at Vanguard?

Post by ResearchMed »

Endur wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 am I don't normally interact on the phone w/ Vanguard (maybe 1x a year) but they've scrubbed their website of their phone number, from what i can tell.
I googled the number and now it's literally been 20 minutes on hold to speak w/ someone. Occasionally, a dial tone will kick in like I'm being transferred but I'm getting a message saying an associate will be right with me.

The only reason I'm calling is that no one replied to my message from 1 week ago, very unlike Vanguard.
I recently bought an ETF about 1 month ago, but the option to re-invest divs is greyed out.
There have been reports here of difficulties with Vanguard customer service.

When I Googled Vanguard, the phone number came right up.

However, importantly, on the general home page that I land on, in the upper right hand corner is a clickable "Contact Us", which, when clicked, leads to lots of info, including their phone numbers for personal investors (first), and then retirement plan participants, then institutional investors, then financial advisors, and then global investors (the phone number for this group is not displayed on this particular page as all the other phone numbers are).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Endur's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Tony wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:02 pm my husband and I have had a trust in both our names and I want to change it to my name only.
My parents had a joint trust, of which I was the executor. When my father died it all, of course, went to my mother, BUT .. the name of the trust did not change. It was still in both their names. That was not problem.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet