Local tax refund taxable? Salt caps

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
nic3456

Local tax refund taxable? Salt caps

Post by nic3456 »

Are local tax refunds still subject to federal taxes if the amounts weren’t actually deducted the previous year due to salt limits?

For example If I had $15,000 of total salt taxes
$8,000 property tax
$5,000 state
$2,000 city

After filing taxes the city sends me $500 refund - is there a way for that to be non taxable since in theory I didn’t deduct any city taxes the prior year due to the $10k salt caps?

Overall I do itemize and choose the salt taxes in lieu of sales taxes.
FiveK

Re: Local tax refund taxable? Salt caps

Post by FiveK »

If in practice you get State And Local Tax (SALT) refunds less than the excess of the amount you paid over $10K, then those refunds are not taxable.

See With new SALT limit, IRS explains tax treatment of state and local tax refunds | Internal Revenue Service for a more authoritative opinion.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

The general rule is, if you calculate your federal tax using your actual state tax liability instead of withheld state tax, would there be a difference? The refund is taxable to the extent that you benefitted from deducting your withheld state tax instead of your actual state tax. Local is treated the same as state, I believe.
Topic Author
nic3456

Post by nic3456 »

Thanks, that makes sense , now I just have to make sure I calculated properly.