Moving to San Diego - Help with areas

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Carefreeap

Re: Moving to San Diego - Help with areas

Post by Carefreeap »

TPIR wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 am
quantAndHold wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:40 pm
mclvngr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:13 pm I live in San Diego and thought I’d give you you my two cents for what they’re worth.

North Poway - it’s a cheaper Rancho Santa Fe.
Rural Escondido - good value, up & coming.
Ramona - East of Poway, rural feel, affordable.
Clairemont - centrally located in SD, food mecca, affordable.
Carmel Mountain Ranch - central, Poway schools.
Clairemont is a food mecca? I’d never heard his before, despite living in the area since the 80’s. Do tell…
cadreamer2015 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:59 pm Yes, it would be more accurate to say that Temecula is half way between San Diego and San Bernardino.
Also, Temecula a really poor choice if you need to fly anywhere on a regular basis.
I think poster means it’s near Convoy street and the international dining / grocery places there
Lol, and I thought s/he meant along Morena (Bay Park/Overlook Heights area) ;). Regardless it really is a diverse, centrally located area.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

TPIR wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 am
quantAndHold wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:40 pm
mclvngr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:13 pm I live in San Diego and thought I’d give you you my two cents for what they’re worth.

North Poway - it’s a cheaper Rancho Santa Fe.
Rural Escondido - good value, up & coming.
Ramona - East of Poway, rural feel, affordable.
Clairemont - centrally located in SD, food mecca, affordable.
Carmel Mountain Ranch - central, Poway schools.
Clairemont is a food mecca? I’d never heard his before, despite living in the area since the 80’s. Do tell…
cadreamer2015 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:59 pm Yes, it would be more accurate to say that Temecula is half way between San Diego and San Bernardino.
Also, Temecula a really poor choice if you need to fly anywhere on a regular basis.
I think poster means it’s near Convoy street and the international dining / grocery places there
Which would be Kearny Mesa, not Clairemont. I live almost as close to Convoy as a lot of people in Clairemont, and I live south of the 8.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

These responses are so good. Thanks for that. If nothing else it gives me a better idea of where to tour when I'm there in a couple weeks.
University City sounds just perfect, but I don't think we can afford the homes there. Honestly it's hard to tell what we can 'afford'. We make pretty good money (a bit over $300k annually) but some of the house prices seem so extreme. If they'll continue to go up in value for a while it seems like a really good time to buy, but nobody knows what'll happen.

When I'm in the area I'll have to check out Escondido, Carlsbad, University City, Rancho Pensquitos, and a few others.

The warnings here about high temperatures in the east make me nervous. I'd hate to feel trapped indoors a lot.
tj

Post by tj »

cbr shadow wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:04 pm
The warnings here about high temperatures in the east make me nervous. I'd hate to feel trapped indoors a lot.
Slightly Inland SoCal is not going to be like Phoenix or the super humid east coast. It's just not the amazing pleasantness that is coastal San Diego.

If you are really going to be earning $300k, you can live wherever the hell you want.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

meh typed out a long drawn out response that disappeared as my login expired but in summary, I think its worth considering the nicer neighborhoods of the Inland Empire (there's safe nice neighborhoods in Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga, Corona, Ontario, etc) where your money will take you alot further, you will be close to Ontario airport, and an overall central location in SoCal where you can easily drive to LA,OC, San Diego, Mountain regions, Palm Springs, even Vegas.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

cbr shadow wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:04 pm These responses are so good. Thanks for that. If nothing else it gives me a better idea of where to tour when I'm there in a couple weeks.
University City sounds just perfect, but I don't think we can afford the homes there. Honestly it's hard to tell what we can 'afford'. We make pretty good money (a bit over $300k annually) but some of the house prices seem so extreme. If they'll continue to go up in value for a while it seems like a really good time to buy, but nobody knows what'll happen.

When I'm in the area I'll have to check out Escondido, Carlsbad, University City, Rancho Pensquitos, and a few others.

We found that a pool makes it a lot more tolerable. If it's scorching hot out you can always jump in the pool, swim for a bit, then go back in the air conditioning. Plus it still cools down enough where you can do morning/evening walks and hikes (followed by a jump in the pool if desired)
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

tj wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:11 pm
Slightly Inland SoCal is not going to be like Phoenix or the super humid east coast. It's just not the amazing pleasantness that is coastal San Diego.

If you are really going to be earning $300k, you can live wherever the hell you want.
It seems like general rules of thumb about how much mortgage someone can afford doesn't really apply to California. We should continue to make over $300k, but the general rules of thumb that people use would say we can't afford a $1.4M house.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:19 pm
afan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:29 pm I will just note that many SF and Silicon Valley techies who are leaving the area due to the cost of living are leaving CA altogether. SS may be cheaper than SF but if you look at housing and overall costs and taxes in other states it is amazing how much more you can get for your money.
Provided you are willing to leave CA.
70% of people leaving the Bay Area are moving to other parts of California. But "everybody's leaving California" makes a better narrative for the media, of course.

Anyway, OP, do you have a job lined up? The main tech job areas are Sorrento Valley and Rancho Bernardo, plus a few jobs in the Palomar Airport Road and Liberty Station areas. If you're working in one of those areas, I would suggest someplace close to work. Those are all fine places to live with good schools.

An alternative to flying out of San Diego is to fly out of Carlsbad. You'll take a commuter flight to a larger airport (usually LAX), but it's a great airport to fly in and out of.

I find North County (all the places you listed except for the East County places) too suburban and prefer something more urban. We live near Balboa Park and prefer that. More walkable, more urban amenities, but still a nice place to live.

In general, unless you prefer hot weather in the summer, closer to the coast is more desirable. I wouldn't even consider anything east of I-15. Those places are not why people move to San Diego.
"More U.S. residents moving out of California than into the state is just one factor driving California’s slower growth, though demographers say more data is needed to understand who has left and why in recent years. In fact, California has lost more residents to other states than it’s gained for all but three of the past roughly 30 years, McGhee said."

https://apnews.com/article/census-2020- ... c1cac3e97b
tj

Post by tj »

cbr shadow wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:04 pm

It seems like general rules of thumb about how much mortgage someone can afford doesn't really apply to California. We should continue to make over $300k, but the general rules of thumb that people use would say we can't afford a $1.4M house.
Assuming you have no other debt, you would get approved for the mortgage with no DTI issues, so yes, you can afford it.
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

tj wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:09 pm

Assuming you have no other debt, you would get approved for the mortgage with no DTI issues, so yes, you can afford it.
We don't have any other debt except for a $28k car loan at 0%. Our credit rating is 831 (according to Mint). I think I'm just nervous since in Chicago we had a $250k home and have been renting for the last 7 years. Our incomes were much lower back then, though.
tj

Post by tj »

cbr shadow wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:28 pm

We don't have any other debt except for a $28k car loan at 0%. Our credit rating is 831 (according to Mint). I think I'm just nervous since in Chicago we had a $250k home and have been renting for the last 7 years. Our incomes were much lower back then, though.
You can also easily afford to rent in literally any part of San Diego.
KeepItSimpleSomehow

Post by KeepItSimpleSomehow »

[/quote]
"More U.S. residents moving out of California than into the state is just one factor driving California’s slower growth, though demographers say more data is needed to understand who has left and why in recent years. In fact, California has lost more residents to other states than it’s gained for all but three of the past roughly 30 years, McGhee said."

https://apnews.com/article/census-2020- ... c1cac3e97b
[/quote]

ON THE OTHER HAND ... LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
Population of Counties in California (2021)

2021 Population AND Growth Since 2010
Los Angeles County 9,969,510 1.49%
San Diego County 3,347,270 7.86%
Orange County 3,175,130 5.31%
Riverside County 2,520,060 14.47%

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/states/ca
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

tj wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:22 pm
cbr shadow wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:28 pm

You can also easily afford to rent in literally any part of San Diego.
I hear you there. Here in Northern California it makes sense to rent if you don't count on continued appreciation of homes. That's why we've rented for the last 7 years in this area. Things have changed about our mindset after having a kid (and another soon) though. Even as "ideal tenants", we've been pushed out of our rentals twice in those 7 years due to the landlord wanting to make changes or sell. You never have a sense of permanency and its hard to feel like a part of the community when renting, in our experience anyway.
Coato

Post by Coato »

I think the most reasonably priced beach communities (which is what cool weather really equals) are suburban ones in northern San Diego county (Oceanside) and southern Orange County (San Clemente, Dana Point). The ones in South OC are a 30 minute drive to SNA which has a lot of direct flights. Both Oceanside and San Clemente have some reasonable prices (I think), at least to a Californian they seem reasonable. Oceanside feels a lot more "urban" than the other two, schools are better in Orange County than Oceanside though.

Most of the coastal towns from Laguna Beach down to Encinitas feel pretty similar to me as far as lifestyle and "vibe".
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

Coato wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:13 pm I think the most reasonably priced beach communities (which is what cool weather really equals) are suburban ones in northern San Diego county (Oceanside) and southern Orange County (San Clemente, Dana Point). The ones in South OC are a 30 minute drive to SNA which has a lot of direct flights. Both Oceanside and San Clemente have some reasonable prices (I think), at least to a Californian they seem reasonable. Oceanside feels a lot more "urban" than the other two, schools are better in Orange County than Oceanside though.

Most of the coastal towns from Laguna Beach down to Encinitas feel pretty similar to me as far as lifestyle and "vibe".
I was originally looking at Oceanside but I noticed the schools there aren't rated well on 'Great Schools'. They're 3's and 4's and 5's in Oceanside, but 8's and 9's just south of there in Carlsbad. I'm sure the house prices reflect that, but I can't imagine living in a $1M home with nice climate but sending my kids to bad schools.
tmsul100

Post by tmsul100 »

My brother and his family have lived in Carlsbad for about twenty years. They would tell you it's 10/10. Cool, walkable downtown, great beaches, solid schools. Strong sense of neighborhood - active with kids, big deal of Halloween, etc. We visit a lot and love it...if you get a little east of the 5 (not too far) the prices get better and you still get a nice ocean breeze and beach vibe. Most of those little towns in that area: Cardiff by the Sea, Encinitas, etc. are really cool.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tmsul100 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:49 pm My brother and his family have lived in Carlsbad for about twenty years. They would tell you it's 10/10. Cool, walkable downtown, great beaches, solid schools. Strong sense of neighborhood - active with kids, big deal of Halloween, etc. We visit a lot and love it...if you get a little east of the 5 (not too far) the prices get better and you still get a nice ocean breeze and beach vibe. Most of those little towns in that area: Cardiff by the Sea, Encinitas, etc. are really cool.
Although both of us California natives generally don't even like to visit, Encinitas is fantastic. My widowed aunt lives there and we visit for about a week every summer. It doesn't hurt that her $4M+ custom home on an acre is absolutely as close to I-5 as possible without being able to hear it.
TPIR

Post by TPIR »

Be careful with those Greatschool ratings they weight some things that may be irrelevant to you.

Look at the parent self rating, and the detail components of the ratings. Read the local papers.

Some of the Oceanside schools with '6' overall scores look just fine digging in further for example.

https://www.greatschools.org/california ... l/#Reviews

Schools also change over time, really hard to predict - like short term investment returns - so ratings are too precise vs what you'll actually experience.

If you like diverse progressive thinking, then pick an eclectic neighborhood with professors living. If you want a more "traditional" thinking, pick one in an area with more military families.

Historically the proxy is go with the most affluent neighborhood you can afford.
hotscot

Post by hotscot »

I'm well aware you are seeking input on San Diego.
I don't know if you are restricted to SD but if not I suggest you also check out the paradise that is Dana Point, (where I live), San Clemente and Mission Viejo.
Great schools, amazing quality of life, beaches, outdoors, restaurants etc.
From my garage to Airport Gate, John Wayne Airport, 20 minutes. (Depending.)
Also not too far for events in Los Angeles. Before Covid we regularly attended Hollywood Bowl for example

We bought for 840K two years ago, single family home, silent evenings even with next door neighbors, attractive neighborhood, walking, jogging, cycling, paddleboarding, sailing, canoeing. One of the best harbors in the US.

If this interests you at all pm me for a wonderful dependable realtors with extensive local knowledge.
Bryan995

Post by Bryan995 »

We went through similar 2 years ago (w/a 300k income then, 600k now). Carlsbad / Poway is sooooo far away. The 30+ miles back to the city is painful. And Traffic can be horrendous on the 5.

I’d stick further south and 10-15 miles from everything you want to be close to. The issue we found is that lots of these neighborhoods are old and need updating. 1960 builds. We also very much wanted new construction so our choices were limited (solar, super efficient, modern open layout etc, minimal hassle).

We considered PHR, Del Sur, 4S Ranch, Rancho Encantada. Came closest to buying in PHR (along the 56) but the cheapest we could find all-in was in the 1.5M range, and then would need 150k+ in landscaping (pool). Was just a bit too tight back then. Also looked into the outskirts of rancho sante fe (where the super wealthy live). Amazing area. But can also get a bit hot compared to coastal and prices were closer to 2M for something very small. Will try to move here some day once we can swing the 8M purchase price :)

Instead we ended in santee with the exact same PHR builder (pardee) and the exact same floor plan for 792k/3200sqft (now worth 1.25M). Originally we were quite worried about the heat but now after two years, I think it can actually be considered a benefit. Traffic and distance wise our commutes would be the same (phr vs. Santee) and liked the fact that on a weekend Santee was only 12 miles away from the beach/city compared to 25+ of other communities.

No may gray, no june gloom. On a cloudy 60’ day, it will be a sunny 75’F. On a hot 88’F lajolla day, it will be 98’ in santee. Meaning your going to be inside with a/c anyways. We added 12kW of Tesla solar/batteries and the conditions are near perfect out east. We keep the house at 70’F and run a -$150 bill in the summer (before solar, the cost was $400+). Santee is changing, I think it will continue to become a viable option. <20 minutes to the airport or to the beach on any given day. 3500+ homes are planned (fanita ranch) which would dramatically transform the city. Drive around the neighborhoods of UTC, Clairmont, Kearny Mesa, La Mesa. Proximity and location is killer, but they all just feel so old and small. To each their own !
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Bryan995 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:20 am Santee is changing, I think it will continue to become a viable option. <20 minutes to the airport or to the beach on any given day. 3500+ homes are planned (fanita ranch) which would dramatically transform the city.
Google maps says the airport is 28 minutes from Santee and La Jolla Shores beach is 27 minutes, with no traffic. I’ve seen how the traffic gets on the 52 (or the 8) at commute times. Fanita Ranch is just going to make that worse.

OP, if your main commute is your wife’s trips to the airport, you might consider the mesa south of I-8. Mission Hills, Normal Heights, North Park, South Park, Kensington, or possibly Talmadge. Gentrified, walkable historic neighborhoods with nice houses and loads of amenities, that actually are close to the airport. For example, Google maps says my house is 9 minutes from Terminal 1. It’s a different lifestyle than the suburbs. We spend a lot less time driving our cars around from place to place, because everything is close by. It’s also a reverse commute to most of the tech jobs, if one of you ends up working here in town.

When I was working in Rancho Bernardo, I compared notes with one of my coworkers who lived in Peñasquitos. My commute took me less time, because it was easy to get onto the freeway, then a consistent 25 minute drive up the 15. She sat in traffic in her own neighborhood for 25 minutes, just trying to get onto the freeway.

As an aside, with a $300k income, I would probably worry more about finding the right place to live than in sticking to a strict budget. You *can* afford any neighborhood mentioned in this thread, but the less expensive ones mentioned are less expensive for a reason, either because of distance from where people need and want to be, or some quality intrinsic to the neighborhood (ticky tacky 60’s construction in Clairemont, for example).
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am

As an aside, with a $300k income, I would probably worry more about finding the right place to live than in sticking to a strict budget. You *can* afford any neighborhood mentioned in this thread, but the less expensive ones mentioned are less expensive for a reason, either because of distance from where people need and want to be, or some quality intrinsic to the neighborhood (ticky tacky 60’s construction in Clairemont, for example).
LOL, a lot of Fremont is like Clairemont.

I think the OP should rent for a year or two. It is a big area and as you rightly point out the OP has lots of options.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Bryan995

Post by Bryan995 »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am
Bryan995 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:20 am Santee is changing, I think it will continue to become a viable option. <20 minutes to the airport or to the beach on any given day. 3500+ homes are planned (fanita ranch) which would dramatically transform the city.
Google maps says the airport is 28 minutes from Santee and La Jolla Shores beach is 27 minutes, with no traffic. I’ve seen how the traffic gets on the 52 (or the 8) at commute times. Fanita Ranch is just going to make that worse.
Google maps says 18 minutes to La Jolla shores from my couch. 24 minutes to terminal 1. Weston rd Santee.

But you get the idea, it’s a big city. Location matters. I still think it’s a great option if you would value new construction and 3000+ sqft. You’d be lucky to stay under 2M with similar commutes / size / build date.

Plus let’s get real - no one working in tech will be commuting anytime soon… if ever again ! :) SQFT is king!
TPIR

Post by TPIR »

Another consideration...depends on preferences...

Some areas are more attractive than others for ADU development, single to multifamily conversion.

For example somewhat newer neighborhoods with small yards are unlikely to see much change. Close in older areas like Clairemont are already seeing a lot of change.

OP should read this recent article that uses a storyline in Clairemont regardless to get a sense of dynamics - could be a risk or opportunity depending on OP's preferences

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/08/busi ... using.html
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

cbr shadow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:50 pm
- No mosquitos
You can cross that off your list, they've arrived at least where I live in SD proper.
TwoBitsCA

Post by TwoBitsCA »

I lived in SD area for over 50 years...mostly La Mesa. Now live in DC area for the past 15 months. I find the weather statements to be somewhat inaccurate. It does get hotter as you move east but it's gradual and usually not as extreme as some have stated. There are weather sites that you can use to get the actual data like:

http://www.weatherbase.com/search/searc ... &results=1

This will show that the average high in August in Coronado is 78.9, Serra Mesa is 80.9, La Mesa is 84.5 and El Cajon is 88.9. That site will also tell you the # of days/month (in Aug or Sep) above 90 are Coronado = 1, Serra Mesa = 2.5, La Mesa = 7.3, and El Cajon = 13.6. Granted, it's been a bit more extreme in recent years.

Given your conditions, I'd recommend you look at Tierrasanta as it's centrally located (about 20 minutes to most things including SAN), the weather is "good" (something closer to Serra Mesa than La Mesa in the above comparisons), and has always seemed family friendly and safe to me (but check the school ratings and crime websites to be sure). Other areas to look at would be Allied Gardens, San Carlos, Del Cerro, and Scripps Ranch.
Nomar

Post by Nomar »

There are a couple of contradictory wishes that will involve a tradeoff. The main one is price versus school system. I do not think that the conventional measures of a school system are terribly accurate--undervaluing what parents, available activities and the young people themselves (including peers) put into education. In California the basics of funding come from the state government on a per pupil basis. The economic differences between a Del Mar and Oceanside, for example, are considerable but the reason for the different academic outcomes are largely unrelated to funding. The same might not be true in the same way in many parts of suburban US where local property taxes fund schools.

The kinds of things that mitigate or are unrelated to a seemingly lower achieving district include regional activities such as sports, music, arts and science programs. Private schools, charters, district gifted and talented programs and school choice within large districts should also be on your radar. If you can't afford the highest rated district, and are unwilling to live with too little house to achieve it, there are plenty of good options at a micro level and involve personal family decisions. But the decisions you make are all about what you value. Also note, that schools change over time (La Jolla does not have many young families anymore) and it is not uncommon for CA residents to highly value a local elementary school but struggle with the secondary options.

Given your income level, low mortgage rates and stated interests, I would deemphasize some requirements (pool, airport commute, size). These may be measurable but not necessarily what ends up being the most important element in your family's decision. The educational outcomes are about agency and opportunity. Best of luck and San Diego is a great area.
Minority Opinion

Post by Minority Opinion »

Tejfyy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:43 am
cbr shadow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:50 pm
- No mosquitos
You can cross that off your list, they've arrived at least where I live in SD proper.
I live on a hill overlooking the San Diego Airport/Bay. We have mosquitoes.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

You may want to try your question in this forum also.

www.city-data.com/forum
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Genug

Post by Genug »

TwoBitsCA wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:35 am I lived in SD area for over 50 years...mostly La Mesa. Now live in DC area for the past 15 months. I find the weather statements to be somewhat inaccurate. It does get hotter as you move east but it's gradual and usually not as extreme as some have stated. There are weather sites that you can use to get the actual data like:

http://www.weatherbase.com/search/searc ... &results=1

This will show that the average high in August in Coronado is 78.9, Serra Mesa is 80.9, La Mesa is 84.5 and El Cajon is 88.9. That site will also tell you the # of days/month (in Aug or Sep) above 90 are Coronado = 1, Serra Mesa = 2.5, La Mesa = 7.3, and El Cajon = 13.6. Granted, it's been a bit more extreme in recent years.

Given your conditions, I'd recommend you look at Tierrasanta as it's centrally located (about 20 minutes to most things including SAN), the weather is "good" (something closer to Serra Mesa than La Mesa in the above comparisons), and has always seemed family friendly and safe to me (but check the school ratings and crime websites to be sure). Other areas to look at would be Allied Gardens, San Carlos, Del Cerro, and Scripps Ranch.
I concur
I am a little east of the 15 in Allied Gardens/Del Cerro area. Some hot days but overall great weather. One thing I like about being a little inland is that density is much less than closer to the coast. Easier street parking and for shopping. Other than rush hour, it is pretty quick to get downtown, the airport, or the beach.