What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
livelovelaugh00

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

I have big sweet teeth. I have to do something about it. This is it.
I haven't had sweets or chocolate for 3 months. It was hard for the first couple of weeks. Then it got a lot easier afterwards. I got better health. I saved money too. Win-Win.
Last edited by livelovelaugh00 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I removed all items from my virtual shopping cart. Decided no spending today.
pepys

Post by pepys »

brian91480 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 pm
pepys wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:07 pm - Took a quick cool shower in the morning
- No breakfast, so I don't have to brush my teeth in the morning
- Walked to work in my old shoes (don't have a car)
- Drank the free work coffee/other drinks throughout the day (free calories)
- Found penny on the ground (yes!), highlight of the day
- Sat down as much as possible at work to conserve calories (and scooted in wheely chair if I needed to talk to someone nearby)
- Used bathroom at work before leaving
- Walked back home
- Kept air conditioning and lights off (unnecessary lavish expenses)
- Sat in my broken taped-up chair and ate rice and pinto beans for dinner
- Spent $2 on an amazon reload on a credit card for the small balance waiver
- Opened a new credit card to get the $200 bonus
- Dry oats/peanut butter for snack
- Early bed (lying down burns fewer calories)
- Opened up phone (minimum brightness, low power mode on) to set alarm and check bogleheads using my Spectrum Internet Assist internet
- Wrote up this comment with as few movements as possible
Not to nitpick here... but you splurged with the shower. You could have just wet a wash cloth and rubbed down your body. That would save water expense.
You can afford a wash cloth?? Nice to see you on the Bogleheads forum, Mr. Buffett.

As for the water, I do prefer the rain, of course, but water is included in my rent, so it is spread out among everyone. Considering the minimal amount of water I use, my own water usage probably adds no more than a few pennies to my rent.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I changed my internet service from 100/100 to 400/400, and avoided an $18/month increase in monthly bill had I stayed with Frontier. My 400/400 with Spectrum is cheaper than I was paying Frontier even before their increased rate.

Even better, I won't have to deal with my 'net bill for 24 months. Though I can leave anytime as no contract.

I tried grabbing a better rate, but until I cancelled my service effective at the end of the current bill cycle, Frontier couldn't find anything.

Frontier could have kept me, but they have to play games.

Nice thing about streaming content is it is easy to change internet providers, as no cable boxes involved.

Next I am going to try Spectrum streaming, currently have YouTube TV, good but pricey.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Ordered a 3 months supply of espresso from Walmart for $10.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

My wife called the insurance company to notify them of 3 items on their list of "wellness benefit activities" that she completed.
In return, they are sending her $75 worth of gift cards.

I spent two hours on a "free exercise workout". Basically, I took a nice brisk walk down to the beach and along the sidewalk while listening to a few (free) podcasts. It was a beautiful day.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm I changed my internet service from 100/100 to 400/400, and avoided an $18/month increase in monthly bill had I stayed with Frontier. My 400/400 with Spectrum is cheaper than I was paying Frontier even before their increased rate.

Even better, I won't have to deal with my 'net bill for 24 months. Though I can leave anytime as no contract.

I tried grabbing a better rate, but until I cancelled my service effective at the end of the current bill cycle, Frontier couldn't find anything.

Frontier could have kept me, but they have to play games.

Nice thing about streaming content is it is easy to change internet providers, as no cable boxes involved.

Next I am going to try Spectrum streaming, currently have YouTube TV, good but pricey.

Broken Man 1999
I've been with Spectrum about 3 years. When the 2 year non-contract deals were expiring, I was expecting about a 50% increase in price. But they automatically adjusted all the services for the best deal going forward and my increase was only 20%. No action needed on my part. So when the time comes you may wish to inquire and perhaps get an even better deal.