Funniest movies of all time? Name five of your favorites...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: Funniest movies of all time? Name five of your favorites...

Post by Sandtrap »

Couples Retreat
Something About Mary
Meet the Faulkers
Young Frankenstein
Zoolander
Zohan
The Sweetest Thing
Hall Pass
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I always enjoyed the American Pie movies!

🚀
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:34 pm Couples Retreat
Something About Mary
Meet the Faulkers
Young Frankenstein
Zoolander
Zohan
The Sweetest Thing
Hall Pass
Liked the first Couples Retreat so much more than the second.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MandyLuna

Post by MandyLuna »

I can't believe that the best of all has not been mentioned: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Van wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:05 pm Planes, trains and automobiles

Any Three Stooges (a guy thing; not liked by most females)
There's a Cheers episode where some woman tells Sam he's totally shallow - that he has no brain of his own - everything he does is to attract women.

"You like your Corvette", says his friends... "No, I own that to get women"
"You like your boat", says his friends... "No, I own that to get women".

"You like the Three Stooges", says his friends... "What do women think about that?"

"They think they are stupid", says Sam... "Hey, I'm not shallow after all, I like the Three Stooges all on my own!"
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Dude2 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:18 am Step Brothers (the F-ing Catalina Wine Mixer)

Kingpin (don't want to get Munson-ed out there)

Life of Brian (blessed are the cheesemakers is not meant to be taken literally, it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products)

Ted 2

Tropic Thunder
Heh, why Ted 2 and not Ted?
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:26 am
Van wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:43 am
Nicolas wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:21 pm
Van wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:05 pm Any Three Stooges
Their shorts are genius, agreed, but their movies?
I guess we agree that their short movies are very funny.
Right, in their short films everything was effortlessly funny, but in their feature films, which only came to be in an effort to cash in because of the short films’ success on television, the plots and humor seemed forced and not too funny. At least that’s the way I remember it, not having seen them, or wanted to, in decades.

I don’t think I sat all the way through any of their feature films. Some that come to mind are Snow White and the Three Stooges (1961), The Three Stooges Meet Hercules (1962), The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze (1963), and others. Also there was no Curly or Shemp anymore by that time.
Without Curly, there is no Three Stooges. I knew Curly, Shemp, and you sir, are no Curly.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

BradJ wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:24 pm
HRPennypacker wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm Airplane
Life of Brian
Spinal Tap
The Big Lebowski
Tropic Thunder
I hope in 20 years people realize Tropic Thunder was the best comedy made between 2000-2020.
"Never go full *****" is a genius line (so soon after Forrest Gump), but it will sink that movie in the future.

I could be wrong though... Is Blazing Saddles still acceptable 50 years later?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

crinkles2 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:08 pm They're not funny mostly but I find a great sense of humor in Sergio Leone's westerns, like fistful of dollars, the good the bad the ugly, etc.
"I don't think my mule finds it's funny, you laughing..."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 pm
crinkles2 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:08 pm They're not funny mostly but I find a great sense of humor in Sergio Leone's westerns, like fistful of dollars, the good the bad the ugly, etc.
"I don't think my mule finds it's funny, you laughing..."
Ha ha, I love that line! And then what comes after….
You never miss your water till your well runs dry.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

MandyLuna wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:51 pm I can't believe that the best of all has not been mentioned: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
This film has been mentioned a number of times. Use the search function within the thread and you’ll see. [Search this topic…]
You never miss your water till your well runs dry.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:36 pm
Dude2 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:18 am Step Brothers (the F-ing Catalina Wine Mixer)

Kingpin (don't want to get Munson-ed out there)

Life of Brian (blessed are the cheesemakers is not meant to be taken literally, it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products)

Ted 2

Tropic Thunder
Heh, why Ted 2 and not Ted?
Very few movies achieve a better sequel. Aliens (e.g. Alien 2), Terminator 2. I would submit that Ted 2 is also in the category. I figure on the first one they had the basic premise, but they had tremendous pressure to get it done. With Ted 2, after the success of the first one, they were probably allowed more artistic freedom. In terms of rewatching movies, I can rewatch Ted a few times but quickly become sick of it. Ted 2, on the other hand, doesn't sicken me on rewatch.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

HanSolo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:05 am M*A*S*H (or MASH, in case someone is searching the thread)
Interesting tidbit (at least to me), the 1970 movie MASH did not use the asterisks in the opening title; that was added with the pilot episode of the TV series. The asterisks are also not included in the title listing for the movie on IMDB.
Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 »

Wedding crashers
The Hangover
Caddyshack
Stripes
There's something About Mary
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:59 am
HanSolo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:05 am M*A*S*H (or MASH, in case someone is searching the thread)
Interesting tidbit (at least to me), the 1970 movie MASH did not use the asterisks in the opening title; that was added with the pilot episode of the TV series. The asterisks are also not included in the title listing for the movie on IMDB.
If people don't know (which they probably do), MASH was based on or inspired by (or ripped off) Joseph Heller's Catch 22 which is absolutely hilarious. (The book, not the movie). If you haven't read that, please do. Not a funny book thread, but others would include anything by PG Wodehouse, i.e. the "Jeeves" books. He was the Chris Rock of his generation.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Dude2 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:18 am
If people don't know (which they probably do), MASH was based on or inspired by (or ripped off) Joseph Heller's Catch 22 which is absolutely hilarious. (The book, not the movie). If you haven't read that, please do. Not a funny book thread, but others would include anything by PG Wodehouse, i.e. the "Jeeves" books. He was the Chris Rock of his generation.
I will second the PG Woodhouse comment! Woodhouse books are about the English upper classes (thus Jeeves the personal butler) in the early 20th century but, like all good humor, it is about human nature in general so the in that respect it is timeless.
Last edited by bertilak on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Dude2 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:18 am If people don't know (which they probably do), MASH was based on or inspired by (or ripped off) Joseph Heller's Catch 22 which is absolutely hilarious. (The book, not the movie). If you haven't read that, please do. Not a funny book thread, but others would include anything by PG Wodehouse, i.e. the "Jeeves" books. He was the Chris Rock of his generation.
I didn't know it had anything to do with Catch 22. The credits to the 1970 movie state that it is based on the novel of the same name by Richard Hooker. I've read the Richard Hooker book but haven't read Catch 22, so I can't say.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:34 pm
Van wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:05 pm Planes, trains and automobiles

Any Three Stooges (a guy thing; not liked by most females)
There's a Cheers episode where some woman tells Sam he's totally shallow - that he has no brain of his own - everything he does is to attract women.

"You like your Corvette", says his friends... "No, I own that to get women"
"You like your boat", says his friends... "No, I own that to get women".

"You like the Three Stooges", says his friends... "What do women think about that?"

"They think they are stupid", says Sam... "Hey, I'm not shallow after all, I like the Three Stooges all on my own!"
LOL
Sounds like a stage of life that some never outgrow.🌺

j🌺
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

wikipedia wrote:Hiester Richard Hornberger Jr. (February 1, 1924 – November 4, 1997) was an American writer and surgeon who wrote under the pseudonym Richard Hooker. Hornberger's best-known work was his novel MASH (1968), based on his experiences as a wartime United States Army surgeon doctor during the Korean War (1950–1953) and written in collaboration with W. C. Heinz. It was used as the basis for an award-winning, critically and commercially successful movie – M*A*S*H (1970) — and two years later in an acclaimed long running television series (1972–1983) of the same name.
. . . . .
Source.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:10 am
wikipedia wrote:Hiester Richard Hornberger Jr. (February 1, 1924 – November 4, 1997) was an American writer and surgeon who wrote under the pseudonym Richard Hooker. Hornberger's best-known work was his novel MASH (1968), based on his experiences as a wartime United States Army surgeon doctor during the Korean War (1950–1953) and written in collaboration with W. C. Heinz. It was used as the basis for an award-winning, critically and commercially successful movie – M*A*S*H (1970) — and two years later in an acclaimed long running television series (1972–1983) of the same name.
. . . . .
Source.
Fascinating. Thanks for correcting me. I am a MASH fan, so not trying to disparage it. The similarity is there. There's certainly nothing wrong with something being inspired by something else, or even that one thing generates the demand for more of the same. War (and everything that comes with it) is something that you have to laugh about as a coping mechanism, a la Hogan's Heroes. I know nothing!
willthrill81

Re:

Post by willthrill81 »

Tall Grass wrote: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:10 pm Cary Grant in "Arsenic and Old Lace"...one of the best comedic performances ever.
+1 :D
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

"Withnail and I."
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Along Came Polly

j🌺
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

HomerJ wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:42 pm Is Blazing Saddles still acceptable 50 years later?
I think so. Well, maybe not in polite society; but, ...
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

RadAudit wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm
HomerJ wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:42 pm Is Blazing Saddles still acceptable 50 years later?
I think so. Well, maybe not in polite society; but, ...
In other words, nothing's changed.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

1. MacGruber
2. Get Shorty
3. The Big Lebowski
4. His Girl Friday
5. A Fish Called Wanda
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Off the top of my head

Several already mentioned

* 'This is Spinal Tap'
* 'Best in Show'
* 'The Wedding Singer'
* 'Coming to America'
* A Fish called Wanda
* Animal House
Woodie Allen has some pretty funny moments, cant forget the Orgasmatron
The original MASH, in its day, pretty good moments
Steve Martin, Eddy Murphy, Richard Pryor, Chris Rock and Robin Williams have some brilliant laughs in a variety of films

So many different types of humor to enjoy

If we branch into TV, I always loved Faulty Towers, though the PC cops have banned some of the funniest episodes as somewhat racist.
30west

Post by 30west »

JoJo Rabbit
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Ghost Town (2008) with Ricky Gervais
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

1. Blazing Saddles
2. Airplane
3. Animal House
4. Naked Gun
5. Young Frankenstein
6. Caddyshack
7. The Jerk
8. Sleeper
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Requiem For A Dream
The Machinist
Leaving Las Vegas

Oh, wait...haha wrong thread!

Fletch
Vacation
Coming to America
Shaun of the Dead
Office Space
Animal House
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. I would add:

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366551/
The Man Who Knew Too Little https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120483/
miles ahead

Post by miles ahead »

Princess Bride
This is Spinal Tap
Dumb and Dumber
Borat
Airplane!