***Cincy!***Looking at Retirement Area Indianapolis->Cincinnati->Lexington->Knoxville-> Ashville

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Barkingsparrow

Re: ***Cincy!***Looking at Retirement Area Indianapolis->Cincinnati->Lexington->Knoxville-> Ashville

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:10 pm Whenever I introduce Cincinnati “chili” to out of town people I just tell them to put the idea that it’s chili out of their mind. A good chili with beans, onions, meat and (usually) a tomato base is a great dish but has little in common with Cincinnati style chili, a greek-style brown meat sauce served on spaghetti and topped with onions, beans and cheese. Some people can get past “this isn’t chili”, others can’t.

Skyline 4-way extra juicy, light onions is my go to order.

Now to me, southern Indiana’s specialty is the peppery, pan-fried chicken. South Eastern Indiana really.
I had family in Cincinnat that lived near the original Skyline restauraunt up on Price Hill, and we used to eat there. When I got out of college I went to Cincy for my first job and I had way too many Skyline cheese coneys and Frisch's Big Boy Burgers. Never got tired of it.
Topic Author
MishkaWorries

Re: ***Cincy!***Looking at Retirement Area Indianapolis->Cincinnati->Lexington->Knoxville-> Ashville

Post by MishkaWorries »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:20 am
Outer Marker wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:12 pm
MishkaWorries wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:50 pm Once we researched Harper's Ferry, WV but not really convenient to Dulles.
Huh? Harpers Ferry is like 45 mins from Dulles. I live in DC and it takes me longer than that to get to Dulles.
I agree. Harpers Ferry is very convenient to Dulles.
Hmm. Not sure what I was thinking. It may have been how to get to Dulles via train or bus. I don't think there is a direct route from Harper's Ferry (area) to Dulles. I'd rather not drive and park at the airport for 3-4 weeks. I'd appreciate any thoughts on best way to get to Dulles from the locals.

We definitely decided to check out the Western VA/Eastern WV because Dulles would be our most preferred airport.

We'll go in the summer and check out the heat and humidity situation.

Thanks to all for suggesting this area to us
We plan. G-d laughs.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:27 pm {Harpers Ferry is very convenient to Dulles. . .]

Hmm. Not sure what I was thinking. It may have been how to get to Dulles via train or bus. I don't think there is a direct route from Harper's Ferry (area) to Dulles. I'd rather not drive and park at the airport for 3-4 weeks. I'd appreciate any thoughts on best way to get to Dulles from the locals.

We definitely decided to check out the Western VA/Eastern WV because Dulles would be our most preferred airport.

We'll go in the summer and check out the heat and humidity situation.
Like most rural areas, you're not going to have a direct public transit connection to a major international airport. If you don't want to drive, it's close enough that a $100 Uber ride is not unreasonable - or make friends with your neighbors. Shephardstown WV in that area is very nice. That said, unless you're traveling multiple times a month, I think being next to an airport like Dulles is probably unnecessary. From almost any community in the USA with scheduled air service, you're basically one stop to the world via any major hub. If you're going for 3-4 weeks at a time, the small inconvenience of a connection is nothing to worry about.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Outer Marker wrote: Like most rural areas, you're not going to have a direct public transit connection to a major international airport.
That depends on what qualifies as public transit. As an example, a number of intercity bus lines service O'Hare airport in Chicago from a bunch of different towns in IL, WI, and IN, some of which definitely are rural.

In 2019 the idea was expanding to additional areas/airports, but not sure how covid affected the plans:

https://www.metro-magazine.com/10112019 ... d-services
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:48 pm
Outer Marker wrote: Like most rural areas, you're not going to have a direct public transit connection to a major international airport.
That depends on what qualifies as public transit. As an example, a number of intercity bus lines service O'Hare airport in Chicago from a bunch of different towns in IL, WI, and IN, some of which definitely are rural.

In 2019 the idea was expanding to additional areas/airports, but not sure how covid affected the plans:

https://www.metro-magazine.com/10112019 ... d-services
Bus links are long overdue to replace outdated and expensive "Essential Air Service" at outlying communities. In the Mid Atlantic we have two communities in Hagerstown MD (Less than 70 miles from Dulles), and Lancaster, PA, which is only slightly further to BWI and PHL, that receive millions of dollars to have subsidized service barely anyone uses.

Honestly, unless I was using the airport all the time, I'd live somewhere like Knoxville that is not dominated by any one carrier and fares are less expensive. United "owns" Dulles and is able to charge a premium for local passengers. Someplace like Knoxville, if you're going to London, Tokyo, or Buenos Aires, you've got lower competing fares on three equally matched global network carriers. Wherever you're going international, you'll be making a stop, but if you're retired and have time, who cares . . .
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Hagerstown, Maryland Essential Air Service was discontinued in Oct 2019.
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.