[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by TomatoTomahto »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:45 pm Finished the first four episodes of "Le Bureau des Legendes" (French with English subtitles). Excellent production values and good intro to the French spy agency. But it's taking a while for the storylines to set up. I'm hoping some drama happens soon.
I eagerly await your review. I agree with you on The Fall.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finished "Clickbait" on Netflix. Many,many plot twists. Wife and I liked it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Capsu78 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 pm Finished "Clickbait" on Netflix. Many,many plot twists. Wife and I liked it.
My wife didn’t dislike it as much as I did. It was interesting enough from a plot standpoint that I skipped ahead to the final episode to see how they finished it.

We actually had a good discussion about the show. At first I thought the acting was bad. Then I started blaming the writing. My final conclusion was that the actors were better than they appeared to be and that the direction was horrible. This conclusion was based on seeing fewer than half of the episodes.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We spent a few evenings binge watching "The Morning Show".

It had escaped our attention when it first came out. When DH mentioned it, I thought it was going to be a fluff show, and didn't expect much from the two main actors, Aniston & Witherspoon. (That was especially the case because other than in "Walk the Line", I had never been impressed with Witherspoon... quite the opposite. However, I'm sure I haven't seen everything she's done.)

We weren't sure after the first episode, but Witherspoon certainly rose to the occasion as time went on. We ended up really captured by the first season.

Warning; There are a couple of late episodes with "warnings" about content. One of the last episodes was... heavy... It left us totally drained, but it was very well done.

Episode 1 of Season 2 was available, and now we must wait week by week for the others.

We also picked up the new episode of "Billions". I think they've just got part of a season remaining for now, done after a Covid hiatus.
We didn't particularly like the first episode, but it seemed to be "back" for the second.
We had enjoyed previous seasons, even though much of it was over the top.

In both of those shows, the changing of alliances among the main characters is interesting.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Just finished "Babylon Berlin" - season 1. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. The first season starts in 1929 with the Weimar Republic on it's last legs. The focus is on two characters, Gereon Rath, a detective from Cologne on special assignment to Berlin; and Charlotte Ritter, suffering from poverty, with aspirations to be a homicide detective - but all the while enjoying the hedonism at the infamous Berlin cabarets at night. There's the historical context, with all kind of political rumblings and plots - hints of Hitler, resurgent Communism, and various military cabals wanting to restore Kaiser Wilhelm to power. The excellent visuals I think provides engrossing sketches of life in Berlin at that time, including it's world-wide fame for debauchery. It's hard to not watch this series without a sense of dread, knowing of the impending nightmare.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:31 pm Just finished "Babylon Berlin" - season 1. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. The first season starts in 1929 with the Weimar Republic on it's last legs. The focus is on two characters, Gereon Rath, a detective from Cologne on special assignment to Berlin; and Charlotte Ritter, suffering from poverty, with aspirations to be a homicide detective - but all the while enjoying the hedonism at the infamous Berlin cabarets at night. There's the historical context, with all kind of political rumblings and plots - hints of Hitler, resurgent Communism, and various military cabals wanting to restore Kaiser Wilhelm to power. The excellent visuals I think provides engrossing sketches of life in Berlin at that time, including it's world-wide fame for debauchery. It's hard to not watch this series without a sense of dread, knowing of the impending nightmare.
Unfortunately, it doesn't get better after the first season...in our opinion. (That of myself and my wife.) The first season was markedly better.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:05 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 pm Finished "Clickbait" on Netflix. Many,many plot twists. Wife and I liked it.
My wife didn’t dislike it as much as I did. It was interesting enough from a plot standpoint that I skipped ahead to the final episode to see how they finished it.

We actually had a good discussion about the show. At first I thought the acting was bad. Then I started blaming the writing. My final conclusion was that the actors were better than they appeared to be and that the direction was horrible. This conclusion was based on seeing fewer than half of the episodes.
I kept wondering why the character "Pia" looked so familiar, and then it came to me... She is a blonde "Dora the Explora" ! (made my wife laugh, anyway, and after 37 years as my spouse, she doesn't often get new material from me.)
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Clickbait is fun and worth watching ... it's only just a few episodes so no great commitment is required. The acting is fine ... the writing is ok.

The White Lotus is also worth watching. It has layers and some of those layers can be interesting depending on the person. I found it to be very watchable ... I kept on expecting something to happen but nothing big ever really does (mostly). The vignettes of the people/class/money/society are what to watch and enjoy the implied commentary. I think a certain amount of empathy is required to enjoy these episodes ....
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Capsu78 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:45 pm I kept wondering why the character "Pia" looked so familiar, and then it came to me... She is a blonde "Dora the Explora" ! (made my wife laugh, anyway, and after 37 years as my spouse, she doesn't often get new material from me.)
Lol. Nailed it! :D
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:05 am
roamingzebra wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:45 pm Finished the first four episodes of "Le Bureau des Legendes" (French with English subtitles). Excellent production values and good intro to the French spy agency. But it's taking a while for the storylines to set up. I'm hoping some drama happens soon.
I eagerly await your review. I agree with you on The Fall.
I'm halfway through S2 (out of 5) of "Le Bureau des Legendes". S1 was mostly to give a taste of daily life in the French clandestine bureau and to introduce the main character. I wasn't engaged until the season finale when there was a big emotional spike.

S2 is far more engaging. Esp. the storyline involving the young female recruit. That's the one agent we've been able to see from the very start (in training) as opposed to, for example, when an agent unfamiliar to us, with no prior backstory, needs exfiltration.

S2 also introduces some big-time deceit and betrayal. At last! That's the kind of stuff I like. Also, there are developing conflicts within the team of spy-runners. All of that will provide emotional tension throughout the rest of the season.

Right now, I can say "Le Bureau" is excellent in almost every category. The one downside for me is that I find the main character unsympathetic. As the whole show revolves around that character, that's unfortunate. I don't find him relatable and I don't care what happens to him. Most people in his position would be able to elicit sympathy from an observer. But he remains distant with his constant Mona Lisa smile and seeming disregard for others -- beyond his main obsession...I won't elaborate here on what that obsession is to avoid spoilers.

I would recommend a big screen for this show.. For one thing, the visuals are gorgeous. But also, I am watching on a relatively small screen... and along with subtitles, it can be challenging to pick up nuances and important details.

I'll also give a headstart to any viewer unfamiliar witih French intelligence (as I was). Their main area of interest is the Middle East and North Africa. So most of the stories take place in Paris (HQ), Syria, Algeria, Iran, etc. Syria is the complicated one since there are multiple parties involved in it's fate. So don't be surprised to see a few Russians pop up now and then.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Well done, roamingzebra! :D

No spoilers from me, but yes, a large screen is a good idea.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

We've been watching Only Murders in the Building and Nine Perfect Strangers in parallel on Hulu. Both very different shows but enjoyable in their own right.

Only Murders started off a little weak but has really picked up. Nine Perfect Strangers has such a strong group of actors I dont see how it could be bad, but we're only two episodes in so we'll see. Enjoying it so far.

Also really enjoying What If? on Disney+. If you're an MCU fan, these have been very entertaining.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jjunk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:32 am We've been watching Only Murders in the Building and Nine Perfect Strangers in parallel on Hulu. Both very different shows but enjoyable in their own right.

Only Murders started off a little weak but has really picked up. Nine Perfect Strangers has such a strong group of actors I dont see how it could be bad, but we're only two episodes in so we'll see. Enjoying it so far.

Also really enjoying What If? on Disney+. If you're an MCU fan, these have been very entertaining.
We're actually watching the same shows. "Only Murders" is not normally my jam, but Steve Martin and Martin Short can make almost anything entertaining. " Nine Perfect Strangers", we've watched all the current episodes, and at this point are just watching to find out the backstory - it's starting to just go in circles and wife and I are pretty much tuned out. "What If", my kids will watch it as I work, so I really can't comment, but they like it.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Nine Perfect Strangers

Guests at a spa are unknowingly given drugs in order to work out their inner conflicts. The series slowly descends into a pity party. I fell asleep during the last episode. Take a hard pass on this one.

Murders in the building

The wife wanted to watch this. It starts agonizingly slow and each episode rehashes what previously happened. Steve Martin and Martin Short are annoyingly predictable. Take a hard pass on this one too.

The Morning Show

Watched first episode of season two and it looks like it would be a rehash of season one.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:28 pm We spent a few evenings binge watching "The Morning Show".

It had escaped our attention when it first came out. When DH mentioned it, I thought it was going to be a fluff show, and didn't expect much from the two main actors, Aniston & Witherspoon. (That was especially the case because other than in "Walk the Line", I had never been impressed with Witherspoon... quite the opposite. However, I'm sure I haven't seen everything she's done.)

We weren't sure after the first episode, but Witherspoon certainly rose to the occasion as time went on. We ended up really captured by the first season.

Warning; There are a couple of late episodes with "warnings" about content. One of the last episodes was... heavy... It left us totally drained, but it was very well done.
Just started watching this as well. Only on the third or fourth episode though; thought the first episode was pretty slow, but the show got much better in the second episode.

Appreciate the warning regarding the later episodes.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

We just finished watching all seven seasons of Burn Notice on Amazon Prime, start to finish, one or two episodes a night. This is a series we often watched when it was new, particularly the first few years. It ran from 2007 to 2013, I think in the latter part I wasn't watching much or any TV. Anyway we enjoyed it very much; the first four seasons pretty light, with some almost ludicrous repetition of themes; then it got much darker: when there was a shoot-out people actually managed to hit each other; anyway, we are bummed its all over, so that is a recommendation,
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Quick update. I'm halfway through S3 of "Le Bureau" and it is the best so far. Evenly balanced between headquarters and the field. We're really getting to know the HQ team and they're all likeable and competent people -- the handlers, the researchers, the IT guy, the world-weary boss. A likeable team and friendly office environment is also one of the things I like about "Bosch" and I think others can relate.

Just a tidbit and not spoilerish... A woman in a vehicle is being monitored remotely from HQ and locally via a mobile unit; the two units are in radio contact. A GPS device is planted in the woman's jacket and underwear, each with it's own signal. The jacket GPS goes dark which leads to this hilarious line: "Follow the panties!"
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

:D :sharebeer
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:48 pm Quick update. I'm halfway through S3 of "Le Bureau" and it is the best so far. Evenly balanced between headquarters and the field. We're really getting to know the HQ team and they're all likeable and competent people -- the handlers, the researchers, the IT guy, the world-weary boss. A likeable team and friendly office environment is also one of the things I like about "Bosch" and I think others can relate.

Just a tidbit and not spoilerish... A woman in a vehicle is being monitored remotely from HQ and locally via a mobile unit; the two units are in radio contact. A GPS device is planted in the woman's jacket and underwear, each with it's own signal. The jacket GPS goes dark which leads to this hilarious line: "Follow the panties!"
I was interested in the show after seeing several posts about it. We have Amazon Prime. I only see option to buy episodes or subscribe to Sundance.

How are you watching the series?
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

P&C actuary wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:17 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:48 pm Quick update. I'm halfway through S3 of "Le Bureau" [...]
I was interested in the show after seeing several posts about it. We have Amazon Prime. I only see option to buy episodes or subscribe to Sundance.

How are you watching the series?
Yeah, right now options are limited and you may need to try your local library or a friend, and have a universal dvd player on hand. The current situation re: TV series is not ideal. Instead of learning what's good then watching, you have to watch what's available then watch before they cut off the streaming. I have a media-obsessed neighbor who I recently learned collects British media, hence my current focus in that area. I persuaded him to branch out to France and purchase the expensive Le Bureau box set and he's happy with it. I'm a good neighbor and it works out in other ways.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I just realized that Goliath's latest season (4) is available on Amazon Prime. I was sure it was in my watchlist and would have been thrown at me as soon as it was available, which was way back on June 4. Somehow I missed it. Anyway, I just finished the first episode. Things ae still pretty slow as they set up the new plot. Each season has an overriding plot.

It stars Billy Bob Thornton as (wait for it...) Billy. The main supporting actress is Nina Arianda as Patty, kind of Billy's "Gal Friday." The main bad guy is played by William Hurt. It also has Bruce Dern.

I enjoyed the first three seasons so I an looking forward to the rest of season 4.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Late to the game, as I only watch about 30-45 minutes of TV at the end of the day, but finally finished the first two seasons of Fargo. Solid show, liked Season 1 a little more than Season 2, but both were excellent (except for one part of Season 2). I'm going to go back to Clickbait and (maybe) finish that off, but that show is far less compelling. I have been watching Reservation Dogs, my Monday night fare, at least for now.

If Clickbait doesn't make the cut, probably season 3 of Fargo.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

bertilak wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 pm I just realized that Goliath's latest season (4) is available on Amazon Prime. I was sure it was in my watchlist and would have been thrown at me as soon as it was available, which was way back on June 4. Somehow I missed it. Anyway, I just finished the first episode. Things ae still pretty slow as they set up the new plot. Each season has an overriding plot.

It stars Billy Bob Thornton as (wait for it...) Billy. The main supporting actress is Nina Arianda as Patty, kind of Billy's "Gal Friday." The main bad guy is played by William Hurt. It also has Bruce Dern.

I enjoyed the first three seasons so I an looking forward to the rest of season 4.
Watched the first season and liked it, but I thought the 2nd season was really bad and just plain weird. Seemed like a completely different show. Did not watch the 3rd, but wondering if it got any better.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

MDfan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:07 am
bertilak wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 pm I just realized that Goliath's latest season (4) is available on Amazon Prime. I was sure it was in my watchlist and would have been thrown at me as soon as it was available, which was way back on June 4. Somehow I missed it. Anyway, I just finished the first episode. Things ae still pretty slow as they set up the new plot. Each season has an overriding plot.

Watched the first season and liked it, but I thought the 2nd season was really bad and just plain weird. Seemed like a completely different show. Did not watch the 3rd, but wondering if it got any better.
Yes there was some weirdness, but nothing supernatural. Some of the characters had belief in the supernatural and this affected their behavior. Since I didn't think it was ever "really bad" I didn't notice it getting "any better!" Weirdness and badness depend a great deal on the eye of the beholder.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I watched a few episodes of Fleabag on Amazon Prime. It's somewhat funny, but falls flat because the humor doesn't change and the show doesn't get any better.

I got bored after 4 episodes and switched to Vikings, on Amazon Prime. I can see why it was on the History Channel. Very good quality, I like it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Goliath" season 3 was better than the 2nd...and so far, half way through, season 4 has been interesting...in a throwback noir-ish sort of way.

Enjoying it. YMMV.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

bertilak wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:35 am
MDfan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:07 am

Yes there was some weirdness, but nothing supernatural. Some of the characters had belief in the supernatural and this affected their behavior. Since I didn't think it was ever "really bad" I didn't notice it getting "any better!" Weirdness and badness depend a great deal on the eye of the beholder.

I just thought the 2nd season was very cringe-worthy and completely got away from what made the 1st season good. Bad enough for me to not go back when there are so many other good shows on now.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

KSOC wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:17 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am Two new excellent cop dramas with foreign female leads here: I just finished a Swedish one called Huss, set in Gothenburg (not sure if available in USA), and have started HBO's Mare of Easttown, starring Kate Winslet as a haggard, Rolling Rock-drinking detective in gloomy SE Pennsylvania.
I'm enjoying "Mare" very much.
+1.

I look for series that have good reviews to decide if I want to devote the time watching them. Mare of EastTown was one of them. Rotten Tomatoes gave the series a 94% rating. So I thought I would check it out (using my Amazon Firestick). The first episode was a bit slow I thought. But it was more than made up for in the remaining 6 episodes. The series was nominated for 16 Emmy's (won 4).

How Kate Winslet mastered the near-impossible accent TV fans can’t stop talking abou

Is Mare Of Easttown Season 2 Going To Happen?
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Blues wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:16 am "Goliath" season 3 was better than the 2nd...and so far, half way through, season 4 has been interesting...in a throwback noir-ish sort of way.

Enjoying it. YMMV.
I have heard (read) Goliath described as a contemporary western noir. Seems about right to me. Think of the movie Chinatown. In season 4 Billy actually lives in an apartment in San Francisco's Chinatown. There must have been a deliberate attempt by the creators to evoke the spirit of Chinatown throughout the series. Good choice, I say!

Season 1 was a legal procedural. This aspect carried through to the following seasons.
Season 2 was about the politics of law enforcement.
Season 3 was, just like Chinatown, driven by California's water supply.
Season 4 is still a mystery (hah!) to me.

Thee is much more to the above but I think those are the frameworks in which lots of other stuff took place.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Blues wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:16 am "Goliath" season 3 was better than the 2nd...and so far, half way through, season 4 has been interesting...in a throwback noir-ish sort of way.

Enjoying it. YMMV.
Thanks. Maybe I'll go back and watch Season 3. Season 2 really turned me off to that show.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

minesweep wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 am
KSOC wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:17 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am Two new excellent cop dramas with foreign female leads here: I just finished a Swedish one called Huss, set in Gothenburg (not sure if available in USA), and have started HBO's Mare of Easttown, starring Kate Winslet as a haggard, Rolling Rock-drinking detective in gloomy SE Pennsylvania.
I'm enjoying "Mare" very much.
+1.

I look for series that have good reviews to decide if I want to devote the time watching them. Mare of EastTown was one of them. Rotten Tomatoes gave the series a 94% rating. So I thought I would check it out (using my Amazon Firestick). The first episode was a bit slow I thought. But it was more than made up for in the remaining 6 episodes. The series was nominated for 16 Emmy's (won 4).

How Kate Winslet mastered the near-impossible accent TV fans can’t stop talking abou

Is Mare Of Easttown Season 2 Going To Happen?
Mare was very good. I still can't recommend Ted Lasso enough to those who haven't seen it. Worth the Apple+ subscription solely to watch these first two seasons. The 2nd season has been fantastic.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I'm currently on Season 2 of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" streaming on Hulu. For the most part I enjoy it but mostly have it on in the background while playing games. It reminds me a bit of Shameless, where the characters are sometimes so awful it sometimes isn't funny anymore and becomes cartoonish. I guess I prefer awful characters who have some limits or grounding in reality rather than a bunch of psychopaths with no rules and/or consequences. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Star Trek TOS (The Original Series), seasons 1-3 on Netflix. Some are funny, and unintentionally so, some are boring, there was always a pretty alien girl falling in love with Kirk. Be aware the series disappears from Netflix after the end of this month.

In the news tonight are reports that Wm. Shatner is in talks to travel to space next month aboard Bezos’s Blue Origins. At 90 he would beat John Glenn as the oldest in space.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 pm Star Trek TOS (The Original Series), seasons 1-3 on Netflix. Some are funny, and unintentionally so, some are boring, there was always a pretty alien girl falling in love with Kirk. Be aware the series disappears from Netflix after the end of this month.

In the news tonight are reports that Wm. Shatner is in talks to travel to space next month aboard Bezos’s Blue Origins. At 90 he would beat John Glenn as the oldest in space.
It's amazing that by going where no man has gone before the always run into a human settlement!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd" on Netflix. I find myself enjoying the documentaries of musicians,(even if I wasn't in the core demographics) and this one did not disappoint. Well researched and good archival footage of the rise of this Southern rock band.

As a related aside, I was in HS and College when this band rose up out of obscurity. Saw both LS and the Allman Brothers in the early 70's and considered them both to be the standard bearers of Southern rock. I have a friend about 8 years younger who is a big Tom Petty fan and we had a robust "beer" debate as to who represents SR. He was adament TP was the King, while I veer off to LS and AB.

After TP passed away, I now put tom Petty close to the top not necesarily because of their influence on Southern rock (and all the southern bands that came after them), but more on the basis of Tom Petty's library of original hit music that defines them.

What say you?
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

MDfan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 am

Enjoying it. YMMV.
Thanks. Maybe I'll go back and watch Season 3. Season 2 really turned me off to that show.
Season 3 of "Goliath was much better than Season 2 (which I found to just be gross and stupid). Season 1 was good. I guess we'll try out Season 4 and just hope they learned their lesson from the second season.
Blues

Post by Blues »

We finished season 4 last night. On the whole I think it was enjoyable and I really liked the noir-like direction which was an homage (imho) to 50's era cinema.

I have some nits with the final courtroom drama, having been a participant in many trials, ...but, take it for what it is. Overall the acting and storyline was engaging.

Worth it...
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Started to watch NCIS Hawaii last night. We generally like the franchise, but this one, at least s1e1, is a stinker. Story was hard to follow. Many of the outdoor Hawaii scenery looked blue screened in. Wanted to like it but gave up.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Just finished Squid Game, pretty intense show, well written and very violent. A+ overall, even better than expected
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Escape at Dannemora, on Showtime. Many thanks for previous posters who mentioned this very interesting tale (based-upon-real events) of psychopathic killers who charm a female prison worker. As the title suggests, an escape is a big part of the plot. Seven episode mini-series staring Benicio del Toro, Patricia Arquette and Paul Dano.

Book em...
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Finished Goliath S 4 this last weekend (2 evenings). Sad to see it over. Really enjoyed all four seasons.

Yes, this season got a little "out there", particularly with the roof scene and the courthouse scene, but overall, very enjoyable.

Regarding SR - Tom Petty/Heartbreakers came out of the South, but I think their sound evolved over the years to a SoCal feel. Petty's abilities as a song writer is incredible. Campbell's guitar playing is always complementary to the song...he never plays more than required....and the rest of the Heartbreakers are full fledged tight band.

I had a debate with my son a couple of years ago TP/Heartbreakers vs Eagles...to me it was TP /HB by a wide margin solely based on the depth of their catalog over the years. Yes...Eagles had Hotel California, perhaps one of the five best albums of all time, but they struggled after reaching that pinnacle. L/S and ABB - top notch. No complaints with either of those two.

Ed
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Desperado" was a pretty darn good Eagles album as well. :sharebeer
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Cruise wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 pm Escape at Dannemora, on Showtime. Many thanks for previous posters who mentioned this very interesting tale (based-upon-real events) of psychopathic killers who charm a female prison worker. As the title suggests, an escape is a big part of the plot. Seven episode mini-series staring Benicio del Toro, Patricia Arquette and Paul Dano.

Book em...
Has this been mentioned before in this thread? I did a search on Dannemora and only your post shows up? Sounds like an interesting show. The reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes indicate it is kind of slow.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

pezblanco wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:51 pm
Cruise wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 pm Escape at Dannemora, on Showtime. Many thanks for previous posters who mentioned this very interesting tale (based-upon-real events) of psychopathic killers who charm a female prison worker. As the title suggests, an escape is a big part of the plot. Seven episode mini-series staring Benicio del Toro, Patricia Arquette and Paul Dano.

Book em...
Has this been mentioned before in this thread? I did a search on Dannemora and only your post shows up? Sounds like an interesting show. The reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes indicate it is kind of slow.
Thought it was mentioned...maybe not.

If one likes the Fast and Furious genre, then this will be slow. We rarely looked at our watches, but one does needs a bit of patience as they go through character development.

Forgot to mention that Ben Stiller is the director...
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

bertilak wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:11 pm
Nicolas wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 pm Star Trek TOS (The Original Series), seasons 1-3 on Netflix. Some are funny, and unintentionally so, some are boring, there was always a pretty alien girl falling in love with Kirk. Be aware the series disappears from Netflix after the end of this month.

It's amazing that by going where no man has gone before the always run into a human settlement!
And they all speak English, too! Absolutely amazing!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Cruise wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:24 pm
pezblanco wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:51 pm

Book em...
Thought it was mentioned...maybe not.

If one likes the Fast and Furious genre, then this will be slow. We rarely looked at our watches, but one does needs a bit of patience as they go through character development.

Forgot to mention that Ben Stiller is the director...
Much obliged. I'll take a look at it.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Midnight Mass on Netflix. It's a limited series of 7 episodes.

It's a slow burn with long dialogue but that's because it's doing a great job with character building. Some of the monologue could have been tightened. If this stuff doesn't bother you and you can pay attention, it's a great story.

It's horror with some gore and good scares. It also can be emotional because the writing and character building is excellent.

I really enjoyed it but some might find it boring. The rotten tomato meter is 92%.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:51 pm

Actually, that had an amazing device called a Universal Translator. It was invented to simplify the plot lines and worked quite well.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

bertilak wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:06 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:51 pm

Actually, that had an amazing device called a Universal Translator. It was invented to simplify the plot lines and worked quite well.
True!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We just watched the last seasons of Misomer Murders available on Britbox at Amazon Prime. Sadly :( later seasons are only available no Acorn.

We don't want to add more subscriptions. We can easily afford dozens more subscriptions. We are not misers but are frugal.

Recommended. These are nice movie-length mysteries set in small imaginary English villages, with interesting characters and unusual plots.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy