Baxter Securities Litigation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
poundwise

Baxter Securities Litigation

Post by poundwise »

I got another one of the dreaded class action securities settlement mailers today for an individual holding I have: Baxter (BAX). Website is baxtersecuritieslitigation.com.

Has anyone read through the fine print on this to see if it is worth filling out the paperwork? Thanks!

Relatedly, how can these lawyers still get away with requiring a paper form to be sent back (you pay for postage) to participate? It seems like an obvious effort to make it as hard as possible for shareholders to participate, so the lawyers get more. Ugh.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Baxter Securities Litigation

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (investment legal action).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WyomingFIRE

Post by WyomingFIRE »

poundwise wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:40 pm Relatedly, how can these lawyers still get away with requiring a paper form to be sent back (you pay for postage) to participate? It seems like an obvious effort to make it as hard as possible for shareholders to participate, so the lawyers get more. Ugh.
The website says the form can be returned via mail or submitted via the website:

"If you are a member of the Settlement Class, in order to be potentially eligible to receive a payment from the Settlement, you must submit a Claim Form postmarked (if mailed), or submitted via this website, no later than September 16, 2021."

https://baxtersecuritieslitigation.com/

Similar language appears on the form itself: https://baxtersecuritieslitigation.com/ ... 20Form.pdf.
Topic Author
poundwise

Post by poundwise »

Thank you. I obviously did not read this documentation deeply enough.

That said, it is still a lot of manual work to go through records and fill all this out. One would think they already have information about the holders of record (that's how they know whom to send the mailings, right?). So this information could be pre-populated so you could just click "OK" instead of spending an hour or two digging through files and typing in forms.

Just a rant. Thanks for correcting my misperception. Moving on!
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I've heard, from a person who does class actions as a "hobby", that the settlement lawyers have to distribute a certain percentage of the award.