How To Deal With Applicance Service Organizations That Don't Fix The Problem

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MrCheapo

How To Deal With Applicance Service Organizations That Don't Fix The Problem

Post by MrCheapo »

I've typically had very good experiences. But this time was different.

18 month old GE Profile Oven (six months out of warranty) died.

08/06 call in for service but booked out until 08/13
08/13 person comes out says its Board X
08/14 Told Board X is back ordered
09/09 Board is now here and person comes back out to install. Board doesn't fix problem and causes a lot of smoke!
09/10 Supervisor tells me board was needed but causes another problem and another board will be needed and is ordered.

So far they've charged me nothing but I have doubts on their abilities. I also worried they are causing more damage that I'll have to pay for eventually. Oven cost $3500 but I could file a claim on it with credit card warranty.

How would you handle this situation?
Normchad

Re: How To Deal With Applicance Service Organizations That Don't Fix The Problem

Post by Normchad »

I’ve just completely given up on appliance repair. If I can’t figure out how to fix it on my own, I just chuck it and buy a new one.

It’s sucks. It’s wasteful. It’s infuriating. But this where I ended, based at least in part on experiences like yours.
Topic Author
MrCheapo

Re: How To Deal With Applicance Service Organizations That Don't Fix The Problem

Post by MrCheapo »

Normchad wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 am I’ve just completely given up on appliance repair. If I can’t figure out how to fix it on my own, I just chuck it and buy a new one.

It’s sucks. It’s wasteful. It’s infuriating. But this where I ended, based at least in part on experiences like yours.
If it was a $500 appliance, fine, but $3500 and it's still under credit card warranty. Apparently with the Chase Credit Card warranty they will replace upto the FULL appliance value.

I'm waiting to hear back from the credit card company what exactly I need to show them to get the full appliance value refunded. Has anyone done that?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Deleted.
Last edited by galawdawg on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Amex refunded a $2,000 refrigerator after two failed repairs and a couple of months. When the third suggested repair involved a three month backorder, they just sent me a check.

I am convinced these repair organizations are scams. I don't think they actually ever have any parts in stock and they order them in batches after repairs are diagnosed. I can't recall anything ever being fixed on the first visit.

In your case, you might need to wait a couple more weeks but then I'd call in and act politely exasperated.
hotscot

Post by hotscot »

An appliance service organization is an organization that services appliances.
Often a third party shop hired locally by the manufacturer to repair under warranty.

At this stage I'd charge back via CC and demand a new one. You don't know what additional damage they've cause.
Topic Author
MrCheapo

Post by MrCheapo »

8foot7 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:47 am Amex refunded a $2,000 refrigerator after two failed repairs and a couple of months. When the third suggested repair involved a three month backorder, they just sent me a check.

I am convinced these repair organizations are scams. I don't think they actually ever have any parts in stock and they order them in batches after repairs are diagnosed. I can't recall anything ever being fixed on the first visit.

In your case, you might need to wait a couple more weeks but then I'd call in and act politely exasperated.
Good to know. But what documentation did Amex require? Also did you pay the people who came out to do the repairs? Note the people doing the repairs are not in any way related to Chase so there is no internal documentation floating between the two.

Thanks.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

This was years ago. I think I provided the invoices/work/repair orders from the repair guy, and I made him write "backordered" on the last one, just to demonstrate the timeline and the fact we were still waiting for a repair. If there was anything else, it was minimal. One of the perks of dealing with Amex imo.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Normchad wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 am I’ve just completely given up on appliance repair. If I can’t figure out how to fix it on my own, I just chuck it and buy a new one.

It's worth gambling on the cost of a best-guess replacement and installing it yourself. So far my percentage is pretty high.

Oddly enough the one replacement that didn't work was a compressor starting capacitor, which is commonly recommended even sometimes when it is not the plausible explanation.
Topic Author
MrCheapo

Post by MrCheapo »

One question no one's touched upon. Do you pay the servicemen if they can't fix the problem? They've been trying but they're not particularly skillful it would seem that this particular product.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

adamthesmythe wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:07 pm

It's worth gambling on the cost of a best-guess replacement and installing it yourself. So far my percentage is pretty high.

Oddly enough the one replacement that didn't work was a compressor starting capacitor, which is commonly recommended even sometimes when it is not the plausible explanation.
Yep. I’m typically successful with everything except refrigerators and clothes washing machines.

I like the better, more expensive appliances. But it sure seems like those are the least reliable. I’m on my 3rd fridge in the kitchen, but the original builder grade fridge, which’s is 22 years old and retails for $350, is still running like a clock in my extremely hot garage.
Ollie123

Post by Ollie123 »

Is "appliance service organization" different than your typical run-of-the-mill appliance repairman? We've done fine with the latter and have had a number of things fixed over the years (dryer, oven, stovetop, fridge) for vastly less then replacement cost would have been. It has sometimes necessitated a wait while parts came in. We did have problems with one repairman who was a lunatic, but that was a personal issue with him and not repairs per se. We later discovered he was a former attorney who had been disbarred for fraud so....yeah.

If they can't get something working, I'd think you owe no more than a diagnostic fee but can't say I've had that come up. It is a little tricky when repairs are tiered. Certainly multiple things can be broken and fixing one problem can reveal another...I get that and we've had it happen though not quite as extreme an example as yours. If a new problem fried the first fix, I'd essentially expect whatever we paid for the first repair to be applied to the second attempt. In our case this has always been a modest enough sum of money it wasn't worth further debate (for us).

Interested to hear how others handle this. I definitely need to do a better job reviewing credit card coverage. We buy everything on CCs and I suspect many of our cards offer things like warranties, rental car insurance, etc. but I've honestly never looked into anything beyond points/% cashback.

Edit: Should note, I also strongly prefer simple appliances so perhaps that explains the success. I'm definitely of the perspective that a lot of things nowadays are over-engineered and are actually being made worse with each passing year, appliances being one of them.
Topic Author
MrCheapo

Post by MrCheapo »

Ollie123 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:36 pm "If they can't get something working, I'd think you owe no more than a diagnostic fee but can't say I've had that come up. It is a little tricky when repairs are tiered."
The problem is the diagnostic fee is $200 so paying that fee and not being wiser doesn't seem right. If they had diagnosed it and I chose not to fix it fine. But they just don't know what's wrong!

The tiered repairs are problematic as well, as all I can do is take their word for it.

Appliance repair organization is a general term to cover one man shows all the way to contracting organizations.
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

Same here. Only thing I won't try to fix is HVAC. I've repaired washers, dryers, water heaters, and refrigerators. Google and online parts suppliers are your friend.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Its a two fold issue; one the industry has declined in technical ability and we now have part / board swappers. Two the complexity of appliances and such that for many we now have a chip on board controlling most of the appliance and when the board goes there is not a lot you can do beyond swapping the board.

Now throw in supply chain issue from a global pandemic and you get a backorder of joy and fun.

I used to look for appliances that had a minimum of electronics but those days have passed. Add to the fast that nothing is built to last and we are now a throw away society. It too saddens me...

Youtube and online appliance repair web sites are you friend. Once the appliance is out of warranty I do all my own repairs.

Only thing I wont touch is the torsion spring on the garage door. No thanks I watched the repair man do that one from a distance...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin