Which brokerage supports Authenticator App for 2FA?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
vu8

Which brokerage supports Authenticator App for 2FA?

Post by vu8 »

Hi there,
I just tried out Google Authenticator App for 2FA for a website I use, and I loved it a lot, it is faster than receiving a text message and the Google Authenticator App is really smooth imo.

This brings me a question about which brokerage supports 2FA via Google Authenticator App? Do Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity or other websites support Google Authenticator 2FA?
wycherly

Re: Which brokerage supports Authenticator App for 2FA?

Post by wycherly »

Vanguard, Schwab, and Fidelity do not support arbitrary 3rd party authenticator apps for multi factor authentication. Perhaps someone else will know if there are any brokerages that support that feature.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

Fidelity supports 2FA or the VIP access app with Symantec.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

Ferdinand2014 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:43 pm Fidelity supports 2FA or the VIP access app with Symantec.
As does Schwab.
Tomorrow never knows.
withrye

Post by withrye »

M1 Finance uses Google Authenticator.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

wycherly wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 pm Vanguard, Schwab, and Fidelity do not support arbitrary 3rd party authenticator apps for multi factor authentication. Perhaps someone else will know if there are any brokerages that support that feature.
Vanguard does not support any authenticator app.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Average Investor wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:18 pm
Ferdinand2014 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:43 pm Fidelity supports 2FA or the VIP access app with Symantec.
As does Schwab.
Schwab will also send you a free Symantec VIP Hardware Authenticator, if you ask.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

jeffyscott wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:20 am
As does Schwab.
Schwab will also send you a free Symantec VIP Hardware Authenticator, if you ask.
I have a Symantec VIP gizmo from Schwab....got it years ago.
It has a button on the left front side along with a small screen.
Is this an "Authenticator"?
I've never done anything with it....I use Schwab 2FA texting.
Average Investor

As does Schwab.
Great to know! Can you use the hardware or software authenticator interchangeably?
Tomorrow never knows.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Average Investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:48 am
As does Schwab.
Great to know! Can you use the hardware or software authenticator interchangeably?
Yes, you can register multiple devices.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

bondsr4me wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:27 am
As does Schwab.
Probably, if you press the button you get a 6 digit number and enter that as part of the log in process. You first have to register it on the security center when logged in to Schwab.

I had to search to find what they call it, we've called it a thingy, rather than gizmo. :happy
ErRyTour

Post by ErRyTour »

Fidelity can be set up to use 2FA with the Google Authenticator app (or any other authenticator app that does TOTP. You do not need to use the Symantec VIP app (I don't).

For example, there is a description of the process here, where the person uses Authy. Google Authenticator isn't different (I use FreeOTP).

https://www.nexms.com/2020/09/convertin ... ith-authy/
sfly510

Post by sfly510 »

ErRyTour wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:35 pm
Fidelity can be set up to use 2FA with the Google Authenticator app (or any other authenticator app that does TOTP. You do not need to use the Symantec VIP app (I don't).

For example, there is a description of the process here, where the person uses Authy. Google Authenticator isn't different (I use FreeOTP).

https://www.nexms.com/2020/09/convertin ... ith-authy/
I would NOT do the qr encoding step online. You're basically sharing the secret key, which underpins the entirety of the security involved, with a random website.

Otherwise, the method is similar to what I do to utilize a Yubikey for the same purpose.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:23 am
wycherly wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:56 pm Vanguard, Schwab, and Fidelity do not support arbitrary 3rd party authenticator apps for multi factor authentication. Perhaps someone else will know if there are any brokerages that support that feature.
Vangaurd supports yubikey which is better.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

jeffyscott wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:10 pm
As does Schwab.
Probably, if you press the button you get a 6 digit number and enter that as part of the log in process. You first have to register it on the security center when logged in to Schwab.

I had to search to find what they call it, we've called it a thingy, rather than gizmo. :happy
Thanks for the info on “thingy”😁
I may call Schwab about setting it up and using it.
Average Investor

jeffyscott wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:03 pm
Average Investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:48 am
As does Schwab.
Yes, you can register multiple devices.
Thank you!
Tomorrow never knows.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

softwaregeek wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:58 pm
Except you can't turn off SMS 2FA, so it does not protect you against the threat of a SIM swap hack. So the only effective way to protect your Vanguard account is to really use a Googe Voice phone number for 2FA, then secure your Gmail account with an authenticator app.
sfly510

Post by sfly510 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:53 pm
Except you can't turn off SMS 2FA, so it does not protect you against the threat of a SIM swap hack. So the only effective way to protect your Vanguard account is to really use a Googe Voice phone number for 2FA, then secure your Gmail account with an authenticator app.
viewtopic.php?t=349826
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

sfly510 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:32 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:53 pm
viewtopic.php?t=349826
Unfortunately, later in that thread it is discovered they while using the Vanguard mobile app, even with a Yubikey and SMS disabled, SMS 2FA is triggered. So the only way to avoid this is to utilize a Google Voice number for SMS 2FA, which defeats the purpose of the Yubikey. I really wish Vanguard would rollout the ability to completely disable SMS 2FA and utilize an authenticator app similar to what Fidelity does now.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

Firefox has an Authenticator add-on.

Works fine with Google or vip secret codes.

Robin Hood uses it.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
sfly510

Post by sfly510 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:46 pm Unfortunately, later in that thread it is discovered they while using the Vanguard mobile app, even with a Yubikey and SMS disabled, SMS 2FA is triggered. So the only way to avoid this is to utilize a Google Voice number for SMS 2FA, which defeats the purpose of the Yubikey. I really wish Vanguard would rollout the ability to completely disable SMS 2FA and utilize an authenticator app similar to what Fidelity does now.
Well shoot :annoyed
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

sfly510 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:31 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:46 pm Unfortunately, later in that thread it is discovered they while using the Vanguard mobile app, even with a Yubikey and SMS disabled, SMS 2FA is triggered. So the only way to avoid this is to utilize a Google Voice number for SMS 2FA, which defeats the purpose of the Yubikey. I really wish Vanguard would rollout the ability to completely disable SMS 2FA and utilize an authenticator app similar to what Fidelity does now.
I know, I was pretty disappointed :annoyed , I was considering getting a Yubikey.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

As does Schwab.
Yup that's it. That's what we have been using for a few years now. In fact, it's been so long that I don't recall what - if anything - we had to do to set it up, once we received it from Schwab.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jeffyscott wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:10 pm [...]
When I search (physically) for it around the house, I ask DW "have you seen the *thumb perched on the inner side of the first joint of the index finger* thing?" ;-)
simpletone

Post by simpletone »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:26 pm
I know, I was pretty disappointed :annoyed , I was considering getting a Yubikey.
I use a Yubikey with Vanguard, disabled SMS and was not able to get SMS to trigger again. This appears to be working great for me on Windows. I do not use their mobile app, however did want to share my PC experience.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

simpletone wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:49 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:26 pm
I use a Yubikey with Vanguard, disabled SMS and was not able to get SMS to trigger again. This appears to be working great for me on Windows. I do not use their mobile app, however did want to share my PC experience.
But the mobile app is the backdoor. If someone was trying to get into your account they can try via the mobile app regardless if you use it or not.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

vu8 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:45 pm Hi there,
I just tried out Google Authenticator App for 2FA for a website I use, and I loved it a lot, it is faster than receiving a text message and the Google Authenticator App is really smooth imo.

This brings me a question about which brokerage supports 2FA via Google Authenticator App? Do Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity or other websites support Google Authenticator 2FA?
The question really is which brokerage doesn't allow you to bypass 2FA authenticator app... What's the point of 2FA if a phone call to customer service resets the access with security question (Schwab) or SMS (Vanguard).
airborne

Post by airborne »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 am

The question really is which brokerage doesn't allow you to bypass 2FA authenticator app... What's the point of 2FA if a phone call to customer service resets the access with security question (Schwab) or SMS (Vanguard).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Schwab use voice authentication when you call in to customer service to prevent an end-run around 2FA?

Thanks to this thread I've now changed my text alerts with Schwab to Google Voice with its own 2FA through Authenticator.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

airborne wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:26 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Schwab use voice authentication when you call in to customer service to prevent an end-run around 2FA?

Thanks to this thread I've now changed my text alerts with Schwab to Google Voice with its own 2FA through Authenticator.
That’s a good question. I don’t think I enabled voice recognition in Schwab but I’m not 100% sure. I do use google number but again Schwab bypassed that too and authenticated me without sending SMS to my secured google phone.
airborne

Post by airborne »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:33 am

That’s a good question. I don’t think I enabled voice recognition in Schwab but I’m not 100% sure. I do use google number but again Schwab bypassed that too and authenticated me without sending SMS to my secured google phone.
Schwab will bypass 2FA on "trusted devices." Perhaps that's your issue.

When you log in, go to Service > Security Center. You can select 2FA on every login or only on untrusted devices. Scroll a little further down and there is a list of such devices where you can delete some or all.

Definitely check out the voice recognition thing for calling in. When I call I have to say "At Schwab my voice is my password" each time I want to speak to a rep.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

airborne wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:43 am
Blue456 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:33 am

Schwab will bypass 2FA on "trusted devices." Perhaps that's your issue.

When you log in, go to Service > Security Center. You can select 2FA on every login or only on untrusted devices. Scroll a little further down and there is a list of such devices where you can delete some or all.

Definitely check out the voice recognition thing for calling in. When I call I have to say "At Schwab my voice is my password" each time I want to speak to a rep.
I removed all trusted devices prior to calling them.
Tirebiter

Post by Tirebiter »

Betterment does.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vanguard and Fidelity use voice authentication.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Etrade allows Symantec vip which works well.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

beyou wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 am Etrade allows Symantec vip which works well.
Symantec VIP works well with Fidelity too. Why can't Vanguard get on board!
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Schwab can use Symantec vip as well