Input on Patio Estimate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FreddieG

Input on Patio Estimate

Post by FreddieG »

I am trying to get a 14' by 18' patio built off my kitchen. I was finally able to get someone to give me an estimate. It seems a bit high, but I don't have a lot of experience here. Would love to get input. The retaining wall referred here would be very approximatelu about 14' long and 1.5 high.

There would be some light excavation involved. Maybe about a foot deep at the far end of the patio where the retaining wall would go.

They want 10% at signing, 55% at start, and 35% at completion.

Please give me your thoughts on the price.

Normchad

Re: Input on Patio Estimate

Post by Normchad »

FreddieG wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:54 pm I am trying to get a 14' by 18' patio built off my kitchen. I was finally able to get someone to give me an estimate. It seems a bit high, but I don't have a lot of experience here. Would love to get input. The retaining wall referred here would be very approximatelu about 14' long and 1.5 high.

There would be some light excavation involved. Maybe about a foot deep at the far end of the patio where the retaining wall would go.

They want 10% at signing, 55% at start, and 35% at completion.

Please give me your thoughts on the price.

That doesn’t shock me.

I built a very similar sized patio myself about 15 years ago, using similar materials, but no seating wall. I think I spent about $4K on pavers, gravel base, etc. Material prices have gone up, I’m sure. And the material for the seating wall, adds to it.

I can’t tell you if it’s a good price or not. But it doesn’t surprise me, honestly. I like the polymeric sand…

Post by 000 »

Can you find a list price for the materials online?

That would give you a base idea.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

I am just about to sign a contract for a 12x20 patio with a 2' x 4' "bump out" for a grill. Belgard Origins 12 Sable Blend with a Charcoal inset. Stone dust base (CR 6) approx. 6-8" thick, polymeric sand. $4800.00

Edit to add ... Forgot to mention that they are replacing the steps (2) from my porch to the patio with (I believe) Belgard Landings (need to confirm before ordering materials).
Last edited by notBobToo on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerseysure

Post by jerseysure »

I had about 600 sq ft of Cambridge pavers, a seating wall around a firepit and a few lights installed in 2019 for around $18k. This is in southern NJ.

I know it's a pain, but always get at least 3 estimates.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Get more bids. My friends are doing similar work, patio, wall seating and some other work. The estimates vary from $21,000 to $14,000 for the same job.

This site might give a very rough estimate:

https://www.homewyse.com/services/index.html
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
London

Post by London »

Without locations, this thread is meaningless. In India, it will be cheaper than New York.
Topic Author
FreddieG

Post by FreddieG »

London wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:32 pm Without locations, this thread is meaningless. In India, it will be cheaper than New York.
Outside Denver.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Ask for an itemized estimate of all materials and labor including hours and rate.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I'm outside Chicago, which I would consider to be a fairly HCOL. In 2019, here's what I paid for a unilock brick paver patio.

Remove/Haul Existing Deck
Patio/Walkway total 698 SF - $13262
Stoop - 2 Steps - $1700
Square Natural Gas Firepit - $3200

I think yours sounds high to me, but I do remember the seat walls being much more expensive than I would've thought.

I know it's harder these days, but I would definitely get multiple quotes. What I did was book the appointments around now and had them going into Oct/Nov/Dec. I had the contract signed in Jan and was ready to go right when it thawed. We got 4 quotes.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Similar size
Similar location
Lesser quality construction (cheaper pavers)
$6+K

Good Yelp reviews https://www.yelp.com/biz/landscape-fx-colorado-springs

Sign the contract.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
davebo

Post by davebo »

Other thing I will mention is that the quotes for these patios could be all over the board, so it's helpful to really nail down the specifics. Just doing a walkthru with the contractors, our quotes ranged from $18K-$40K. Sometimes you throw out so many ideas to these guys and they just give you all the bells and whistles.

The other thing that I noticed is that some of the quotes were in line from a price per SF, but they were estimating way on the high side for the size of the patio. Do your own measurements so you know if they try to go high on you.