Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
stilllurking
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by stilllurking »

sassy_penguin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 pm Also, is it true that the Preferred rewards bonus percentages do not begin accruing immediately on credit cards? I felt like the guy was saying something like it would take a month or 30 days or the first statement to close before the bonuses began to accrue. Does that sound right to those who did this in the past?
From what in seeing on my account is that whatever level you are at now (Platinum) that will be your multipler for your bonus as they are displayed per transaction. You could try a small amount to see what you would get but I think the rep meant you'd need one more month to attain Platinum honors to get the full 75% multiplier for your spend. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along and correct me.
tj
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by tj »

stilllurking wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:34 am
sassy_penguin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 pm Also, is it true that the Preferred rewards bonus percentages do not begin accruing immediately on credit cards? I felt like the guy was saying something like it would take a month or 30 days or the first statement to close before the bonuses began to accrue. Does that sound right to those who did this in the past?
From what in seeing on my account is that whatever level you are at now (Platinum) that will be your multipler for your bonus as they are displayed per transaction. You could try a small amount to see what you would get but I think the rep meant you'd need one more month to attain Platinum honors to get the full 75% multiplier for your spend. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along and correct me.
I don't see why there would be lag in receiving the bonus percentages after they determine that you are eligible.
stilllurking
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by stilllurking »

I was saying that sassy would only get the Platinum level multiplier with a 3 month average of 80k. It sounded like there may have been conversation of the 75% multiplier but that wouldn't happen for another 30 days per the above. Sassy would still get 50% without waiting.
sassy_penguin
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by sassy_penguin »

tj wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:58 pm
stilllurking wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:34 am
sassy_penguin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 pm Also, is it true that the Preferred rewards bonus percentages do not begin accruing immediately on credit cards? I felt like the guy was saying something like it would take a month or 30 days or the first statement to close before the bonuses began to accrue. Does that sound right to those who did this in the past?
From what in seeing on my account is that whatever level you are at now (Platinum) that will be your multipler for your bonus as they are displayed per transaction. You could try a small amount to see what you would get but I think the rep meant you'd need one more month to attain Platinum honors to get the full 75% multiplier for your spend. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along and correct me.
I don't see why there would be lag in receiving the bonus percentages after they determine that you are eligible.
I received both new credit cards (Premium Rewards and Cash Rewards) in the mail yesterday and made my first purchase with each today. I will report back once they post and I see the points.

On the BoA site, it says I have been Preferred Rewards member "Since June 2021" so maybe the guy was onto something that my balance has been high enough my rolling average at 90 days mathematically already assured me of Platinum levels, but I wouldn't get those until the checking account was open 90 days. So perhaps I did not get it "early" after all. I guess We will know soon enough. Though I'd be annoyed since then he talked me into doing something less than optimal, haha.
jalm1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by jalm1 »

Does PR status apply to joint accounts / can both individuals receive the benefits?

I was planning on setting up a joint brokerage and joint checking for the me and the wife. I would assume (something i should never do with banks) that then both her and i would be in preferred rewards and could each open CC's with the rewards multiplier.

Any data points on this?
stilllurking
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by stilllurking »

jalm1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:39 pm Does PR status apply to joint accounts / can both individuals receive the benefits?

I was planning on setting up a joint brokerage and joint checking for the me and the wife. I would assume (something i should never do with banks) that then both her and i would be in preferred rewards and could each open CC's with the rewards multiplier.

Any data points on this?
I have a joint account and we each have our own CCs. Started off with moving our joint brokerage to ME two years ago. Both are receive PR status on all of our cards. Go for it.
ZinCO
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by ZinCO »

jalm1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:39 pm Does PR status apply to joint accounts / can both individuals receive the benefits?

I was planning on setting up a joint brokerage and joint checking for the me and the wife. I would assume (something i should never do with banks) that then both her and i would be in preferred rewards and could each open CC's with the rewards multiplier.

Any data points on this?
I can tell you that our joint accounts qualify us, then I have a CR in my name only that has it, and a PR for which we are joint applicants where we also get it. (Only reason for being joint applicants was otherwise I couldn't see the card in my login.)
jalm1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by jalm1 »

stilllurking wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:48 pm I have a joint account and we each have our own CCs. Started off with moving our joint brokerage to ME two years ago. Both are receive PR status on all of our cards. Go for it.
ZinCO wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm I can tell you that our joint accounts qualify us, then I have a CR in my name only that has it, and a PR for which we are joint applicants where we also get it. (Only reason for being joint applicants was otherwise I couldn't see the card in my login.)
Perfect, thanks!
sailaway
Posts: 3343
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by sailaway »

Whenever we hold a lot in our joint checking for a few days, I get an "almost there!" Preferred rewards message. We never hold it long enough for me to actually get there, though. We don't usually spend enough to worry about it, but we sure have been lately!
dcdcdc724
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:09 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by dcdcdc724 »

Merrill Edge/ML clients, did they do away with the bull logo co-branding on the updated Premium Rewards card?
Retired1809
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Retired1809 »

Is B of A Merrill no longer offering cash incentives for opening accounts at the bank and Merrill? If so, can somebody please post a link? Thanks.
Hyperchicken
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Hyperchicken »

sailaway wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:24 pm Whenever we hold a lot in our joint checking for a few days, I get an "almost there!" Preferred rewards message. We never hold it long enough for me to actually get there, though. We don't usually spend enough to worry about it, but we sure have been lately!
Do note however that if you make it across the line, you get to keep the preferred status for the next 15 months regardless of your balance. Your status can only be downgraded once a year on the month when you initially enrolled plus another 3 months.
placeholder
Posts: 4832
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by placeholder »

Retired1809 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 pm Is B of A Merrill no longer offering cash incentives for opening accounts at the bank and Merrill? If so, can somebody please post a link? Thanks.
I believe that brokerage bonuses are not being offered at this time.
sassy_penguin
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by sassy_penguin »

jjbiv wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 am The answer depends on which card you have. The cash rewards card applies the bonus when you redeem the points so you can earn points now and wait to redeem them until you have platinum honors status. The travel rewards card accrues points with each purchase so you might want to wait until you have status to use the card.
Is this still accurate? My account switched to Platinum Honors overnight, but all the un-redeemed cash rewards points still show only a 50% redemption bonus rather than 75%. I was wondering if it would update in a few days or if this changed.
stilllurking
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by stilllurking »

Someone can keep me honest but earned rewards are at the level you were at. New earnings will get the 75% multiplier from here on out. It's no longer provided upon redemption.
snailderby
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by snailderby »

dcdcdc724 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:58 pm Merrill Edge/ML clients, did they do away with the bull logo co-branding on the updated Premium Rewards card?
The picture on this webpage (https://www.ml.com/solutions/premium-re ... -card.html) makes it look like they removed the bull logo. But I haven't applied for the card through Merrill, so I can't confirm this for sure.
Lyrrad
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Lyrrad »

sassy_penguin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:11 am Is this still accurate? My account switched to Platinum Honors overnight, but all the un-redeemed cash rewards points still show only a 50% redemption bonus rather than 75%. I was wondering if it would update in a few days or if this changed.
The bonus is now applied at time of posting, rather than at time of redemption. I think this change meant that signup bonuses don't get the Preferred Rewards bonus any more.

This seems to have changed at some point in 2018. I see a PDF on Bank of America's site:
[Y]our relationship rewards bonus will be awarded when you make your purchase and does not depend on how or when you redeem your cash back rewards.
I saw a comment from late 2018 on Reddit that unredeemed rewards would received a bonus adjustment in early 2019.
Hyperchicken
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Hyperchicken »

sassy_penguin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:11 am
jjbiv wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 am The answer depends on which card you have. The cash rewards card applies the bonus when you redeem the points so you can earn points now and wait to redeem them until you have platinum honors status. The travel rewards card accrues points with each purchase so you might want to wait until you have status to use the card.
Is this still accurate? My account switched to Platinum Honors overnight, but all the un-redeemed cash rewards points still show only a 50% redemption bonus rather than 75%. I was wondering if it would update in a few days or if this changed.
No, this is not accurate anymore. It used to work the way jjbiv described it few years ago. Now the bonus is applied at the time of payment, not at the time of redemption.
User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 4012
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by BrandonBogle »

Hyperchicken wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:50 pm
sassy_penguin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:11 am
jjbiv wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:16 am The answer depends on which card you have. The cash rewards card applies the bonus when you redeem the points so you can earn points now and wait to redeem them until you have platinum honors status. The travel rewards card accrues points with each purchase so you might want to wait until you have status to use the card.
Is this still accurate? My account switched to Platinum Honors overnight, but all the un-redeemed cash rewards points still show only a 50% redemption bonus rather than 75%. I was wondering if it would update in a few days or if this changed.
No, this is not accurate anymore. It used to work the way jjbiv described it few years ago. Now the bonus is applied at the time of payment, not at the time of redemption.
Just a extra note that as far as I can tell, it is based on when the transaction was approved, not when it was posted. That doesn’t matter for bonuses, but for day-to-day use of the car. An example to help illustrate:

- Monday @ 9 am you have Home Improvement your bonus category
- Monday @ 10 am you make a purchase at Lowe’s
- Monday @ 11 am you order Pizza Hut online
- Monday @ 12 noon you change your category to online shopping
- Monday @ 1 pm you make a purchase at Home Depot
- Monday @ 2 pm you make a purchase on Amazon
- Wednesday @ 12 noon, all purchases post

Assuming that before Monday you already were Platinum Honors,
- Lowe’s will be at 5.25%
- Pizza Hut will be at 1.75%
- Home Depot will be at 1.75%
- Amazon will be at 5.25%

So even though Lowe’s posts after the category changed, it was approved before that, so it will be get the 3% * 1.75 instead of Home Depot getting 1% * 1.75. Similarly, since Pizza Hut was approved before you changed the category, it will get 1% * 1.75 instead of the 3% * 1.75 that Amazon gets.

Now perhaps if some merchant doesn’t submit the transaction for processing with the auth reference previously obtained, then the submission time presumably would be the determining factor.
sassy_penguin
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by sassy_penguin »

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the helpful answers. Now it seems clear there was definitely no reason for the Preferred Rewards rep to encourage me to apply for the two cards last month before I was at Platinum Honors level. A bit annoying, but not a big deal in the whole scheme of things.
MisterBill
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by MisterBill »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:03 pm Monday @ 12 noon you change your category to online shopping
I've never seen anything in the category change wording after you switch categories which says that you get the old category for charges authorized that day before the change and the new category after. It just says that the change is effective that day. In fact, I changed a category to gas shortly after making a gas purchase with the wrong card and got the 5.25%. Have you actually seen what you described in real life?
Last edited by MisterBill on Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MisterBill
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by MisterBill »

sassy_penguin wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:35 pm Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the helpful answers. Now it seems clear there was definitely no reason for the Preferred Rewards rep to encourage me to apply for the two cards last month before I was at Platinum Honors level. A bit annoying, but not a big deal in the whole scheme of things.
Applying early was not the issue, and in fact could have been useful since you already had the cards when the upgrade hit. Using it before getting upgraded was.
User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 4012
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by BrandonBogle »

MisterBill wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 am
BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:03 pm Monday @ 12 noon you change your category to online shopping
I've never seen anything in the category change wording after you switch categories which says that you get the old category for charges authorized that day before the change and the new category after. It just says that the change is effective that day. In fact, I changed a category to gas shortly after making a gas purchase with the wrong card and got the 5.25%. Have you actually seen what you described in real life?
Yes I have, but in a different scenario than you. I switched from online to home improvement while a contractor was waiting to swipe my card and I got the 5.25% for home improvement. But unlike your scenario, I changed before that charge vs. after. I don’t recall what my online purchase showed up as since it was $50 online vs. $2.5k home improvement, so I didn’t care about the online purchase that day.
MisterBill
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by MisterBill »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:09 pm Yes I have, but in a different scenario than you. I switched from online to home improvement while a contractor was waiting to swipe my card and I got the 5.25% for home improvement. But unlike your scenario, I changed before that charge vs. after. I don’t recall what my online purchase showed up as since it was $50 online vs. $2.5k home improvement, so I didn’t care about the online purchase that day.
Sorry, but that doesn't seem to prove anything. You didn't notice if you got the higher rebate for the old category purchase made that day. I never questioned that the purchase in the new category would get the 3/5.25%. And if you got the full rebate on that $2500 purchase, it would seem to prove that you didn't get the higher amount for the $50 purchase, since otherwise it would have maxed out at $2450.
User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 4012
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by BrandonBogle »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:44 pm
BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:09 pm Yes I have, but in a different scenario than you. I switched from online to home improvement while a contractor was waiting to swipe my card and I got the 5.25% for home improvement. But unlike your scenario, I changed before that charge vs. after. I don’t recall what my online purchase showed up as since it was $50 online vs. $2.5k home improvement, so I didn’t care about the online purchase that day.
Sorry, but that doesn't seem to prove anything. You didn't notice if you got the higher rebate for the old category purchase made that day. I never questioned that the purchase in the new category would get the 3/5.25%. And if you got the full rebate on that $2500 purchase, it would seem to prove that you didn't get the higher amount for the $50 purchase, since otherwise it would have maxed out at $2450.
I did not earn on the full $2,500. I just went back and looked. "Partial Bonus - Purchases Exceed $2500 Quarterly Max PROMOTION CAP EXCEEDED"

7/23 I switched from Online Shopping to Home Improvement. That would have been around 6 pm or so b/c I remember it got dark just as they finished.

So...

7/22 Tran 7/23 Post - got Online Shopping bonus
7/22 Tran 7/24 Post - got Online Shopping bonus
7/23 Tran 7/24 Post - got Online Shopping bonus
7/23 - Switch from Online Shopping to Home Improvement
7/23 Tran 7/25 Post - got Home Improvement bonus up to the $2,500 quarterly max

So the transactions I performed before the switch, but posted after the switch, still got the bonus that was active at the time I made the transaction.
MisterBill
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by MisterBill »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:04 pm [So the transactions I performed before the switch, but posted after the switch, still got the bonus that was active at the time I made the transaction.
Interesting. I'm still pretty sure it worked differently for me, but good to know.
GoPackGo
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by GoPackGo »

Bank of America just released a new credit card, "Unlimited Cash Rewards", which is 1.5% back on everything, 2.62% for Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors members.

See https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-of- ... nnual-fee/ which says it's not available for signup yet and rewards can be redeemed on anything.
tomsense76
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:52 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by tomsense76 »

GoPackGo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:39 pm Bank of America just released a new credit card, "Unlimited Cash Rewards", which is 1.5% back on everything, 2.62% for Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors members.

See https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-of- ... nnual-fee/ which says it's not available for signup yet and rewards can be redeemed on anything.
Good to know. Already signed up for BOA Premium Rewards recently, which has this feature amongst other things I was looking for (though comes with an annual fee). May look into this if I decide to ditch that card later.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
ridebikeseveryday
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:28 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by ridebikeseveryday »

Has anyone heard any more about the survey and the potential dropping of rewards bonus? I was thinking about opening a Merrill Edge account, but don't want to bother if they're going to cut the bonus soon.
tj
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by tj »

ridebikeseveryday wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 pm Has anyone heard any more about the survey and the potential dropping of rewards bonus? I was thinking about opening a Merrill Edge account, but don't want to bother if they're going to cut the bonus soon.

Not a thing.
Bama12
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Bama12 »

All this % for that and this % for that makes my head hurt.

I just stick with my local Credit union 1.5% on anything.
MikeG62
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by MikeG62 »

Bama12 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:38 pm All this % for that and this % for that makes my head hurt.

I just stick with my local Credit union 1.5% on anything.
That's a fair point. Juggling several CC and using each for very specific things does take a small bit of effort. I know my DW would much prefer one CC for everything.

However, you could open a BofA premium rewards CC (coupled with $100K sitting in ME) and get 2.625% on everything. Or if you don't have the $100K to move to ME, open a Fidelity VISA or Citi Double cash VISA and get 2.0% on everything. It's not hard to do better than 1.5% with just one single CC.

FWIW, we transitioned from the Fidelity VISA 2.0% cash back CC to the BofA VISA 2.625% cash back CC for our general purpose spend. Incremental savings in 2020 (partial year) was >$700 and we are on track this year for well over $800.

Depending on how much you charge, that incremental savings might not be insignificant (and for very little work).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Marseille07
Posts: 4632
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Marseille07 »

GoPackGo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:39 pm Bank of America just released a new credit card, "Unlimited Cash Rewards", which is 1.5% back on everything, 2.62% for Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors members.

See https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-of- ... nnual-fee/ which says it's not available for signup yet and rewards can be redeemed on anything.
This is a great card if no FTF / no AF. I will need to switch to it as soon as I'm able, as I'm in the process of getting the Travel Rewards card.
Stch
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:45 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Stch »

tj wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:10 pm
ridebikeseveryday wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 pm Has anyone heard any more about the survey and the potential dropping of rewards bonus? I was thinking about opening a Merrill Edge account, but don't want to bother if they're going to cut the bonus soon.

Not a thing.
I receive the surveys for the Bank of America advisory panel, which I believe was the original source for the speculation that preferred rewards cash back bonuses might be reduced. I haven't seen any further mention of it since last year.
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 am
GoPackGo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:39 pm Bank of America just released a new credit card, "Unlimited Cash Rewards", which is 1.5% back on everything, 2.62% for Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors members.

See https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-of- ... nnual-fee/ which says it's not available for signup yet and rewards can be redeemed on anything.
This is a great card if no FTF / no AF. I will need to switch to it as soon as I'm able, as I'm in the process of getting the Travel Rewards card.
I'm in a similar spot. I just got the Travel Rewards card last month, and haven't even received the first monthly statement yet. Hopefully I will be able to change it over to the new card.
ClassII
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by ClassII »

I transferred an old Travel Rewards card to the (old) Cash Back Rewards card with a simple phone call. Didn't have to change the card number or anything.
student
Posts: 5533
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by student »

Stch wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:28 am I'm in a similar spot. I just got the Travel Rewards card last month, and haven't even received the first monthly statement yet. Hopefully I will be able to change it over to the new card.
I think most issuers require you wait one year before a product change.
Marseille07
Posts: 4632
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Marseille07 »

student wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:22 pm
Stch wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:28 am I'm in a similar spot. I just got the Travel Rewards card last month, and haven't even received the first monthly statement yet. Hopefully I will be able to change it over to the new card.
I think most issuers require you wait one year before a product change.
I'm rekt in that case. I literally just signed up like 3 days ago.
aj44
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 11:22 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by aj44 »

Unlimited Cash Rewards is on the BOA website now, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I have customized cash rewards card and opened up a checking and Merrill account this month to go after preferred rewards.

The foreign transaction fee for Unlimited Cash Rewards will probably keep me with my original plan to get the Premium Rewards card once I have Platinum Honors.
Shorty
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Shorty »

Is it possible to "downgrade" a Premium Rewards to an Unlimited Cash Rewards?
aj44 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 am Unlimited Cash Rewards is on the BOA website now, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I have customized cash rewards card and opened up a checking and Merrill account this month to go after preferred rewards.

The foreign transaction fee for Unlimited Cash Rewards will probably keep me with my original plan to get the Premium Rewards card once I have Platinum Honors.
User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 4012
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by BrandonBogle »

Shorty wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:49 pm Is it possible to "downgrade" a Premium Rewards to an Unlimited Cash Rewards?
aj44 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 am Unlimited Cash Rewards is on the BOA website now, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I have customized cash rewards card and opened up a checking and Merrill account this month to go after preferred rewards.

The foreign transaction fee for Unlimited Cash Rewards will probably keep me with my original plan to get the Premium Rewards card once I have Platinum Honors.
Call the number on the back of your card and tell them you want to do a “product change” and explicitly ask if this new card is an available option for you. It will take a few weeks for the change to go through.

I converted my old MBNA card that was now just a basic no-rewards card to a Cash Rewards card that way.
Scotttheking
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Scotttheking »

Check me on this…there’s no (logical financial) reason to have travel rewards over new card, right?
02nz
Posts: 6926
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by 02nz »

Scotttheking wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm Check me on this…there’s no (logical financial) reason to have travel rewards over new card, right?
No foreign transaction fees on the Travel Rewards card.
placeholder
Posts: 4832
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by placeholder »

You'd have to make sure that the product change would still come with the sign up bonus.
MisterBill
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by MisterBill »

placeholder wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 pm You'd have to make sure that the product change would still come with the sign up bonus.
Very unlikely that it would. But people need to decide if $200 meets their criteria for being worth a new account open.
02nz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 pm
Scotttheking wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm Check me on this…there’s no (logical financial) reason to have travel rewards over new card, right?
No foreign transaction fees on the Travel Rewards card.
If one doesn't mind having a second card with them, and the no FTF is important, it would probably pay to keep the Travel Rewards card and apply for the new one. Then hold onto the TR card for when you need to use it outside the US, and you should be able to transfer your rewards over to the new card and redeem it without having to apply it to travel expenses. That is what I do with my TR card now, I transfer to my PR card, although in my case it's only a monthly newspaper subscription that I haven't bothered to Of course someone would need to confirm that it will work the same way with the new card.
Last edited by MisterBill on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterBill
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by MisterBill »

Bama12 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:38 pm All this % for that and this % for that makes my head hurt.

I just stick with my local Credit union 1.5% on anything.
That's what the new BofA card is. But if you put $100k at BofA/Merrill Edge, it becomes a 2.625% card. Can your credit union do that?

Of course, if you do not have assets that you can move to Merrill to get to the $100k then just stick with what you have. But this thread is all about the Preferred Rewards program, so the assumption is that at least have interest in doing that.
Marseille07
Posts: 4632
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by Marseille07 »

aj44 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 am Unlimited Cash Rewards is on the BOA website now, there is a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I have customized cash rewards card and opened up a checking and Merrill account this month to go after preferred rewards.

The foreign transaction fee for Unlimited Cash Rewards will probably keep me with my original plan to get the Premium Rewards card once I have Platinum Honors.
Thank you. I guess I don't miss the Unlimited Cash Rewards card then. No FTF is important as far as I'm concerned.
need403bhelp
Posts: 1221
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by need403bhelp »

So DW and I recently received Platinum Honors status. Looks like our closest BoA branch has lots of safety deposit boxes available, probably because they were closed for a year during COVID (although they say you were able to email and make an appointment to access your safety deposit box during this time). Anything I'm missing in my thoughts of going ahead and setting up a safety deposit box with them? Also, since DW and I have separate checking accounts and both qualify for Platinum Honors, can we somehow combine our credits and get something better? Can we have two safety deposit boxes that we can both access? Or perhaps a bigger box for free than what you usually get with Platinum Honors? Thank you!
tj
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by tj »

need403bhelp wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:45 pm So DW and I recently received Platinum Honors status. Looks like our closest BoA branch has lots of safety deposit boxes available, probably because they were closed for a year during COVID (although they say you were able to email and make an appointment to access your safety deposit box during this time). Anything I'm missing in my thoughts of going ahead and setting up a safety deposit box with them? Also, since DW and I have separate checking accounts and both qualify for Platinum Honors, can we somehow combine our credits and get something better? Can we have two safety deposit boxes that we can both access? Or perhaps a bigger box for free than what you usually get with Platinum Honors? Thank you!
What are you going to put in the safety deposit box?
av111
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by av111 »

tj wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:45 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:45 pm So DW and I recently received Platinum Honors status. Looks like our closest BoA branch has lots of safety deposit boxes available, probably because they were closed for a year during COVID (although they say you were able to email and make an appointment to access your safety deposit box during this time). Anything I'm missing in my thoughts of going ahead and setting up a safety deposit box with them? Also, since DW and I have separate checking accounts and both qualify for Platinum Honors, can we somehow combine our credits and get something better? Can we have two safety deposit boxes that we can both access? Or perhaps a bigger box for free than what you usually get with Platinum Honors? Thank you!
What are you going to put in the safety deposit box?
Bitcoins duh
AV111
need403bhelp
Posts: 1221
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by need403bhelp »

tj wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:45 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:45 pm So DW and I recently received Platinum Honors status. Looks like our closest BoA branch has lots of safety deposit boxes available, probably because they were closed for a year during COVID (although they say you were able to email and make an appointment to access your safety deposit box during this time). Anything I'm missing in my thoughts of going ahead and setting up a safety deposit box with them? Also, since DW and I have separate checking accounts and both qualify for Platinum Honors, can we somehow combine our credits and get something better? Can we have two safety deposit boxes that we can both access? Or perhaps a bigger box for free than what you usually get with Platinum Honors? Thank you!
What are you going to put in the safety deposit box?
So I guess mostly things my parents still have for me in their safety deposit box, like birth certificate, etc. Probably our social security cards too as we hardly ever use them. Basically keep some things out of the home so if our house burns down we'll have something that is safe.

Another issue in our region is floods, and apparently people have had safety deposit boxes flooded (I don't believe at this particular bank but I'll have to check), so we'll probably keep everything inside a large zip lock or two.
Post Reply