Colleges for STEM/CS kid - Overall rank or engineering/CS rank?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Normchad

Re: Colleges for STEM/CS kid - Overall rank or engineering/CS rank?

Post by Normchad »

nigel_ht wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:07 pm
Valuethinker wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:34 pm
Certainly anyone can programme computers.
Lol. If that were true we’d be paid a lot less.

“The median annual wage for mechanical engineers was $90,160 in May 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $58,410, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $141,060.”

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-an ... ineers.htm

“The median annual wage for software developers, quality assurance analysts, and testers was $110,140 in May 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $170,100.“

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-in ... lopers.htm

And SQA and testers make less than developers so the median is likely higher.

Developing good software systems isn’t any easier (and arguably harder) than developing good mechanical systems.

It’s just easier to get a CS degree than a MechE degree.
Lots of good data here. I’m actually surprised MEs make that much. When I go recruiting at campus, the Aero and ME grads are desperately looking for jobs, and the CS/CE/EEs don’t even show up, cause they all have jobs already…..

I probably have 50 SW devs in my dept. I’d guess all of them with more than six years experience make 170K or more in total comp.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Normchad wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:30 pm

“The median annual wage for mechanical engineers was $90,160 in May 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $58,410, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $141,060.”

“The median annual wage for software developers, quality assurance analysts, and testers was $110,140 in May 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $65,210, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $170,100.“

Developing good software systems isn’t any easier (and arguably harder) than developing good mechanical systems.

Lots of good data here. I’m actually surprised MEs make that much. When I go recruiting at campus, the Aero and ME grads are desperately looking for jobs, and the CS/CE/EEs don’t even show up, cause they all have jobs already…..

I probably have 50 SW devs in my dept. I’d guess all of them with more than six years experience make 170K or more in total comp.
And yet CS has one of the higher unemployment stats for fresh outs at…IIRC…around 5%.

I just don’t want folks to think it’s any less challenging a profession than engineering.

Just because someone can become a PE doesn’t mean what they do is necessarily technically difficult. For a while you could get a PE as a Software Engineer but after 5 exams and a whole 81 candidates they decided to kill it in 2019.

Nobody cared.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

nigel_ht wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:43 pm
Normchad wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:30 pm

And yet CS has one of the higher unemployment stats for fresh outs at…IIRC…around 5%.

I just don’t want folks to think it’s any less challenging a profession than engineering.

Just because someone can become a PE doesn’t mean what they do is necessarily technically difficult. For a while you could get a PE as a Software Engineer but after 5 exams and a whole 81 candidates they decided to kill it in 2019.

Nobody cared.
I completely agree. I’m not throwing shade at any degree. CS is legit. In our world, we don’t care if your degree is CS/CE/EE, they are all the same to us. And part of that is because there is a huge difference in how schools handle these programs. In some schools, CS is part of the engineering school; it is an engineering degree. In other schools, it part of the liberal arts college.

Again though, we just don’t care about the school,or the degree. It’s “are you qualified to do the work”. And afte about a week out of school, nobody gives a rip where you went to school.

CS pays well because the demand for people with those skills is very high.

However, since it pays so well, it attracts a lot of people that really can’t do the work. I’ve interviewed many, where I walked out thinking “holy crap, how did they get a degree? That’s a black mark on that school”. And so for those people, I wonder if they ever find jobs…. So I can understand why 5% are unemployed. “Fizzbuzz” was apparently used at google for a while just because it weeded out so many actual applicants. https://blog.usejournal.com/about-codin ... cd08d9dfe5

New college grads should be able to do this in under 60 seconds. A surprising amount of them can’t do it, at all.

For reference I have a computer engineering degree from a high ranked school.(Disclaimer though, I believe rankings are a bunch of garbage). I don’t think I have ever met a certified “PE”. I always though that was for civil engineers making bridges. I do wish there were some form of legit professional certification for this field, but I won’t see it in my career.
starfish26

Post by starfish26 »

Our younger daughter went to Johns Hopkins. She had a good experience there. The campus is nice, it's Maryland so not very cold. They're ranked high in comp sci and engineering, She got a BS in Mechanical engineering. They offer a minor in robotics at JHU. She went on to get her Ph.D. at UC Berkeley and is now an engineering professor. Our older daughter also got a BS in Mechanical engineering from Tufts and a Masters from Georgia Tech in Astronautical Engineering. They were lucky to benefit from great scholarships, internships, and NSF grants to pay for advanced degrees- women in STEM-Yay!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

starfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:16 pm Our younger daughter went to Johns Hopkins. She had a good experience there. The campus is nice, it's Maryland so not very cold. They're ranked high in comp sci and engineering, She got a BS in Mechanical engineering. They offer a minor in robotics at JHU. She went on to get her Ph.D. at UC Berkeley and is now an engineering professor. Our older daughter also got a BS in Mechanical engineering from Tufts and a Masters from Georgia Tech in Astronautical Engineering. They were lucky to benefit from great scholarships, internships, and NSF grants to pay for advanced degrees- women in STEM-Yay!
Congratulations, that is wonderful to hear. JH and GT are both great schools, but I suspect most of the credit goes to your daughters and the hard work they put in.