Turning off Vanguard’s alerts?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
RobLIC

Turning off Vanguard’s alerts?

Post by RobLIC »

Hi, folks.

There used to be a way to disable the feature that let Vanguard tag your holdings with messages saying, for example, “adding 20-30% of foreign bonds to your bond holdings would make your portfolio more diverse” and such. All of which were useful, but tend to make the visual layout of the Web site more distracting.

With recent changes to the site, I can no longer find the maintenance tool that allowed me to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you, as always. Rob
Wiggums

Re: Turning off Vanguard’s alerts?

Post by Wiggums »

I have never seen this message before. Are you on the mutual fund only platform?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Where do you see this?
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

These sound like alerts you'd see in the Portfolio Watch tool.

I was under the impression they had a "Hide Alerts" option.

Personally, I've learned to ignore them over the years, since I'm only holding 20% in international stock.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Wiggums wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:42 pmI have never seen this message before. Are you on the mutual fund only platform?
I'm on the mutual fund-only platform and have never seen such messages.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I rarely use their website anymore (just the mobile app). However, I don’t recall seeing that alert unless I deliberately went looking for it in their portfolio watch or whatever they called their analysis tool.
Topic Author
RobLIC

Post by RobLIC »

Sorry, I should have been clearer: I see it if I’m on vanguard.com (not the app) and I go to Portfolio Watch. Rob
AlwaysLearningMore

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

RobLIC wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:04 pm Hi, folks.

There used to be a way to disable the feature that let Vanguard tag your holdings with messages saying, for example, “adding 20-30% of foreign bonds to your bond holdings would make your portfolio more diverse” and such. All of which were useful, but tend to make the visual layout of the Web site more distracting.

With recent changes to the site, I can no longer find the maintenance tool that allowed me to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you, as always. Rob
Do you mean in Portfolio Watch? I called and asked -- rep told me can't be disabled.
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for.
Topic Author
RobLIC

Post by RobLIC »

Hi, Always. Yes, that’s what I meant. Thanks for taking that step — nice of you. I’m sure I can tune it out! Seems kind of weird for a company to force that on users. Like, if someone is 100% in Wellington or Wellesley or the traditional U.S. balanced fund, they’ve presumably already made the decision to not be tinkering with foreign bonds. Oh well, not a big deal