New to investing

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
BusterRuggles

New to investing

Post by BusterRuggles »

I am 78 years old. I have recently opened a Fidelity account which has Roth IRA and a brokerage account. The Roth is being managed by Fidelity without cost. The brokerage account has six positions, 4 ETF's and 2 stocks. While it's doing well so far, but am intrigued by Index Funds which I just read about in Common Sense Investing. Would it make sense for me to put it all into a S & P 500? I don't have much time to do research, etc. for maintaining a successful portfolio.
babystep

Re: New to investing

Post by babystep »

BusterRuggles,
Welcome to the forum.

S&P 500 is great choice. But more information can provide better answer. You may greatly benefit from asking the question in this format.

Asking Portfolio Questions
esteen

Post by esteen »

Welcome!

Yes, broad-based index mutual funds (or index ETFs) are the most consistently successful way to invest in stocks. Mounds of data back that up. People often suggest a wider net than even the S&P 500 now that low-cost options are available, such as VTSAX which is the Vanguard all-US stock index (VTI for the ETF version), or VTWAX for the Vanguard all-world index (VT for the ETF version).

However, stocks may not be the best way for you to invest this money. As babystep was referring to, if you are willing to spend a few minutes writing down your details in the format (s)he linked, you will be able to receive much more accurate advice for your investing situation.
Topic Author
BusterRuggles

Post by BusterRuggles »

Thanks for the quick response. I’ve printed the question format pages and will begin working on it today. it may be some time before I can submit it, as there is a ton of info there, but I’m eager to get on with it.
Topic Author
BusterRuggles

Post by BusterRuggles »

How can I respond to an individual post, for example babystep or esteen above?
Watty

Post by Watty »

BusterRuggles wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 am How can I respond to an individual post, for example babystep or esteen above?
There is an icon with a quote mark " just above the post you want to quote and it will look like this post.

There is a getting started wiki that you may want to look at if you have not seen it yet.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

ETFs are not that different from index funds but the main question is going to be "which ETFs?" and why did you choose them. When you're a newbie it's all "let's try this.....squirrel...... let's try that. Bogleheads will lead you to the calm and easy life of - I put it there and I'm keeping it there so no decisions needed today.... let's go play golf.
dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas »

If you truly are new to investing, I’d recommend that you use Vanguard’s Target Date or LifeStrategy Funds. Fidelity has a Fidelity Freedom Index Series that might be appropriate.

At 78, depending on your time horizon, you should probably have some fixed income.

Good luck.
MahoningValley

Post by MahoningValley »

BusterRuggles wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:40 am Thanks for the quick response. I’ve printed the question format pages and will begin working on it today. it may be some time before I can submit it, as there is a ton of info there, but I’m eager to get on with it.
Looking forward to that post with great anticipation. :confused
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Welcome to the forum!