Sunglasses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Sunglasses

Post by LifeIsGood »

I need a new pair of sunglasses but am stuck in that quandary of choosing between a cheap, throw away pair and the other extreme of overpaying for a brand name such as those made by the Luxottica cartel. Is there a sweet spot some where in between? I'd like to stay under $100 if possible.
JoeRetire

Re: Sunglasses

Post by JoeRetire »

I purchase bifocal sunglasses from LL Bean. $99.95.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Why not do both? Also look for used sunglasses (eBay?). I bought a used pair of Costas that I liked from a buddy of mine and also bought two pair of $25 Kastkings off Amazon for use during activities that could endanger eyewear. Surprisingly, the Kastkings are half-decent.

JT
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I used to buy expensive sunglasses, but now I buy the $20-$30 ones on Amazon. The quality of the lens and frames are basically the same.

So the question for you is this: are you looking for sunglasses or fashion? If you want people to be like, "oh those are hawt glasses", then maybe Amazon isn't the way to go. But, if you're just running, going out, driving, etc. Get the $20 pair.
Whalers

Post by Whalers »

You can try Warby Parker. They make good quality sunglasses, which are generally cheaper than a pair of Ray-bans, etc.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 am I need a new pair of sunglasses but am stuck in that quandary of choosing between a cheap, throw away pair and the other extreme of overpaying for a brand name such as those made by the Luxottica cartel. Is there a sweet spot some where in between? I'd like to stay under $100 if possible.
Love my Blenders for $40, polarized, durable, scratch resistant
VT & HFEA
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

Whalers wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:49 am You can try Warby Parker. They make good quality sunglasses, which are generally cheaper than a pair of Ray-bans, etc.
I'll have to try Warby Parker. Bought Maui Jim a long time ago from Costco which I liked. Recently bought another pair via Amazon Wardrobe program which allows you to try before you buy. The only issue is that some of the sunglasses were obvious returns and in one case, it was the wrong one! That is, it was mislabeled or someone mixed up the sunglasses with another model.

I do like my newest Maui Jim as it's very light and doesn't leave any imprints on your nose.

Also bought a couple of Vuarnets from Amazon that I like.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

Check out Goodr.com sunglasses. I recently smashed my expensive Maui Jim's and instead of replacing, bought two pair of Goodrs for $25/pair. Nice quality.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Good pre-owned pair of Maui Jims.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

My most recent sunglasses purchase was from REI on sale for $40. So far so good.

I'm too cheap/frugal to buy more expensive ones but that may be penny wise and pound foolish? Time will tell ..
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

What are you using these for, and what are the features that are important that will justify a high cost?
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I find Smith makes quality lenses, and they offer cheaper ones via the Suncloud brand. I always go for polarized, as the difference is worth it to me. Suncloud is $50 MSRP, found for less on ebay or REI sales.
Also recently stumbled upon a great pair of UVEX "colorvision" for dirt cheap / closeout price. Liked enough that I sought out another pair at closer to MSRP (30% off?).

Sunglasses are so ubiquitous that you should never pay retail for them.

Sierra .com (used to be SierraTradingPost) can have good prices, or outdoor retailer closeout websites like steep&cheap or similar.
You can also buy a few pair and return the ones you don't like, at some of these retailers, with $0 return shipping. Beats in-store, IMO.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bltkmt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:56 am Check out Goodr.com sunglasses. I recently smashed my expensive Maui Jim's and instead of replacing, bought two pair of Goodrs for $25/pair. Nice quality.
My wife bought me a custom pair of Knockarounds for father's day, and they came with a 2nd pair free ($27 total). Very similar to Goodr. I've owned several "higher-end" pairs in the past (Maui Jim and Spy were my last two), my kids broke them all. I guess the frames may be slightly more durable-feeling, but otherwise I can tell no difference at literally 1/10th the price.
JimmyD

Post by JimmyD »

bltkmt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:56 am Check out Goodr.com sunglasses. I recently smashed my expensive Maui Jim's and instead of replacing, bought two pair of Goodrs for $25/pair. Nice quality.
This.

I've always been a Ray-Ban guy and got pretty good prices buying via eBay, but I needed another pair recently to keep around the house for outdoor activities (I keep my primary pair in my car) and rolled the dice on a pair from Goodr. For less than $30, I couldn't be happier. Love the style, fit, and the fact that they stay put on my face, even when utterly drenched in sweat, doing 35 mph on my road bike. I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

Bonus: wife says I look good in them and she never says that.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

I was going to suggest Warby Parker. Polarized lenses, and VERY robust frames for $95.

Huckberry also sells their "weekender" sunglasses for $35-45 and they look to be perfectly useful.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

I've been buying sunglasses that are actually safety glasses from Amazon for about $20 - Kleenguard Nemesis. They come in a variety of tints and can be polarized. You can get a 12 pack for as low as $50. I like the polarized in a brown tint that run higher but still under $20 a pair. Kleenguard appears to be part of Kimberly Clark so I figure they are much more likely to really meet the claimed ANSI impact resistance standards along with UV blockage ratings vs. some random third world country factory supplying dollar stores and brand name knockoffs.
HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK »

Love Goodrs . They are excellent everyday glasses for the money and great for wearing while being active.
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 am I need a new pair of sunglasses but am stuck in that quandary of choosing between a cheap, throw away pair and the other extreme of overpaying for a brand name such as those made by the Luxottica cartel. Is there a sweet spot some where in between? I'd like to stay under $100 if possible.
Nordstromrack.com has name brand (eg Rayban) for cheap.
neglogic

Post by neglogic »

Ramjet wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:50 am
Love my Blenders for $40, polarized, durable, scratch resistant
Came here to plug Blenders also. Just bought 3 pairs for my kids, they love them.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

If you need or want prescription sunglasses I can recommend Zenni.com. My sunglasses cost me around $15 per pair, fit good and are fairly durable.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

Go with Maui Jim; their glass lenses are amazing. Also they are still independent and not part of the Lux cartel. Fyi, Costco carries Maui Jim models that are discontinued.
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

Check out Shady Rays.

Prices are reasonable, quality good, and you can buy a “mystery pair” for $18 at checkout. The mystery pair is the same as their usual sunglasses, you just don’t know which one you’ll get.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Big 5 Sporting Goods often has Serengetis for $59.

Currently on sale (as of 7/19/21): https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store ... /N-1z141vq
Last edited by anonenigma on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahoffme

Post by ahoffme »

jumppilot wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:39 pm Check out Shady Rays.

Prices are reasonable, quality good, and you can buy a “mystery pair” for $18 at checkout. The mystery pair is the same as their usual sunglasses, you just don’t know which one you’ll get.
I second this. They are about $50, but usually can find a coupon. Also, they will replace 2 times for only S&H ($8).
Riden

Post by Riden »

Another vote for GOODR, also you might be able to find a 15% coupon if you search.
Rodethe600

Post by Rodethe600 »

surfstar wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:10 am I find Smith makes quality lenses, and they offer cheaper ones via the Suncloud brand. I always go for polarized, as the difference is worth it to me. Suncloud is $50 MSRP, found for less on ebay or REI sales.
Also recently stumbled upon a great pair of UVEX "colorvision" for dirt cheap / closeout price. Liked enough that I sought out another pair at closer to MSRP (30% off?).

Sunglasses are so ubiquitous that you should never pay retail for them.

Sierra .com (used to be SierraTradingPost) can have good prices, or outdoor retailer closeout websites like steep&cheap or similar.
You can also buy a few pair and return the ones you don't like, at some of these retailers, with $0 return shipping. Beats in-store, IMO.
Yes, Suncloud. Many options in the $32-$50 range.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

As always, so many great comments, observations and recommendations. I like the idea of getting a cheap & expensive pair and see which one offers the best overall value. With dozens of options, my next problem is picking a style.
Thanks again for all the feedback. I learned about several retailers I never knew about.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Wire cutter recently published a large review of sunglasses.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Riden wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 pm Another vote for GOODR, also you might be able to find a 15% coupon if you search.
I just ordered a pair and found a 15% discount code. Thanks!
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

If you're the type to lose/break/mistreat your sunglasses, then by all means go for the cheapies. If you take care of your property, then high-end sunglasses are definitely a cut above the budget fare. I have zero regrets about spending the money on the pairs of Maui Jims and Serengeti's (neither are part of Luxottica). The clarity I get from properly cut optical glass is fantastic, not to mention better polarization, photochromic, and AR lens coating technologies.
Last edited by kevinf on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Another vote for Warby Parker (more fashion than sport). I visited a store with a friend earlier this month - he ordered up some prescription glasses, and I found a pair of sunglasses I really like.

I've also seen Kent Wang sunglasses recommended: https://www.kentwang.com/misc/sunglasses
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

i've found $30-50 is around the inflection point where you go from disposable plastic throwadays to something that is functionally/optically good. costco, REI, optometrist shop, etc, should stock things in this bracket
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

Depends on your useage. For fishing, I like both Costa and Smith. Currently have a couple of pairs of Smith that I really like. For everyday use, I'm transitioning to several cheap pairs. My 2 year old is really interested in my "eyes" right now (that's what he calls glasses). One pair of good sunglasses will never be the same after he spent a minute with them.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

JimmyD wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:40 am
This.

I've always been a Ray-Ban guy and got pretty good prices buying via eBay, but I needed another pair recently to keep around the house for outdoor activities (I keep my primary pair in my car) and rolled the dice on a pair from Goodr. For less than $30, I couldn't be happier. Love the style, fit, and the fact that they stay put on my face, even when utterly drenched in sweat, doing 35 mph on my road bike. I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

Bonus: wife says I look good in them and she never says that.
:sharebeer
“If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.” ― Benjamin Franklin
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

I go with the highest rated sunglasses on amazon for around $20-$30. They tend to last 2 years.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Wife just recently picked up a brand called Goodr.

Didn't realize they are the hip new trendy glasses, but they are good quality and look nice! Also only $25.

Edit: didn't realize several people already posted. Glad to see others recommending.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I like these, https://www.harborfreight.com/smoke-len ... 66822.html
Sometimes they go on sale + you can add a 20% off anything coupon, and get them for under a dollar.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

ahoffme wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm
jumppilot wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:39 pm Check out Shady Rays.

I second this. They are about $50, but usually can find a coupon. Also, they will replace 2 times for only S&H ($8).
shadyrays.com
They currently have a BOGO deal. They also have a very generous warranty.
Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 »

I also vote for Shadyrays .
Great deal with the discount code.

Jim
"Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow". Frank Zappa
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I like basic aviators, so I usually get whatever WalMart has with polarized lenses. Usually cost around $10 and I like to have a pair in my truck, a pair in my wife's car, a pair by the front door for walks, and a pair by my bicycle stuff.

More expensive sun glasses are probably nicer, but they aren't very useful if I only have one pair that isn't by me when I want them. YMMV.
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

I buy polarized glasses from the Walmart fishing isle for $10. I've bought Oakley's in the past and they scratch when I look at them. I do not care what happens to my cheap glasses and they last for years. 8-)
DXG1987

Post by DXG1987 »

You do not need to settle for the "Luxottica cartel." I am a big fan of Randolph sunglasses. In addition to being super high quality, they are also made in the USA (Massachusetts, I believe).
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

gpburdell wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:31 pm Go with Maui Jim; their glass lenses are amazing. Also they are still independent and not part of the Lux cartel. Fyi, Costco carries Maui Jim models that are discontinued.
I bought 2 pairs of Maui Jim’s at Costco. They were less than half the regular price on MJs site or Amazon. I didn’t realize they were discontinued but I don’t care. I really like them a lot. Costco.com carries them but I think the price is slightly higher than in the store.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Every pair of expensive sunglasses I've ever owned grew legs and walked away. I go cheap now. Piranha, Foster Grant, etc.
I don't eat ramen noodles because I'm poor. No, I'm rich because I eat ramen noodles. | -moewcat
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

If you have costco membership give them a try - whether kirkland brand versus some of brand names at decent prices
I agree w sticking to ~$100 or less. Hurts less to lose them.

https://www.costco.com/sunglasses.html? ... CzNg%3D%3D
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Bigt3142 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:45 pm I buy polarized glasses from the Walmart fishing isle for $10. I've bought Oakley's in the past and they scratch when I look at them. I do not care what happens to my cheap glasses and they last for years. 8-)
And be scratched of course. You don't buy polarized glass (which doesn't scratch nearly as easily) for 10 bucks. Fly fishing has a requirement of good optical glass. (If you're a bait chucker or a spin fisherman then you don't need this of course.) Good optical glass is usually somewhat expensive. Life is too short (despite the peans of praise from ZZ Top) for cheap sunglasses. :D
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

sureshoe wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:43 am I used to buy expensive sunglasses, but now I buy the $20-$30 ones on Amazon. The quality of the lens and frames are basically the same.
I agree. I have these and recommend them (2-pack for $20):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZV ... UTF8&psc=1

I also like these -expensive- ones ($25) if you want to splurge. (They have a nice "floating" nose-bridge clip that feels good to me.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X6 ... UTF8&psc=1